Madonna Songs on "American Idol"

ROCKERITO_MX

It's funny... everyone goes on about Madonna not having a big voice, not being a "true singer", "she can't sing", her songs are not hard to sing and anyone can do it, etc... And yet, 99% of the time, covers of Madonna songs (the few that there are) are HORRIBLE.

Whether it's how the song is being sung, the useless and unnecessary vocal acrobatics (as if that's what makes a good singer nowadays...), arrangement, etc... and as proven by Mariah's useless commentary... they all just do not "get it".

Madonna's songs were never meant for vocal showmanship. They are about storytelling...performance...attitude...confessions...songs to be sung from the heart, not from the head.

But so much of the industry, and the public... and certainly with the ridiculous abundance of tv talent shows with everyone vying for their 15 minutes, to show off, to win... seem consumed with vocal acrobatics, and showing off, belting and high notes...as if that is what makes a great singer.

But sadly it seems forgotten that music, and singing, is so much more than that. It's one thing to be an entertainer...it's another to be an artist.

Just goes to show how this person that everyone says "can't sing", can't even have her songs properly sung by "real" singers...

I don't care what anybody says, Madonna is a great singer with an amazing voice!

I don't care what anybody says, Madonna is a great singer with an amazing voice!

Yes, her voice is so under-rated. She can sing all different styles of songs as well. Pure pop, dance, musical theatre ( Evita soundtrack ) and beautiful heartfelt ballads. I am so tired of hearing idiots claims she can't sing. They most likely have never bothered to listen to her properly.

Yes, her voice is so under-rated. She can sing all different styles of songs as well. Pure pop, dance, musical theatre ( Evita soundtrack ) and beautiful heartfelt ballads. I am so tired of hearing idiots claims she can't sing. They most likely have never bothered to listen to her properly.

She can certainly sing. She has a very emotive voice, it's multifaceted and can fit into so many different genres as you said. I couldn't imagine Madonna with some "technically" big voice....it just doesn't seem right. Standing alone, her voice not may be spectacular, but it's a tool in her overall package as a performance artist.

If she wanted to be a lazy slug and perform power ballads I'm sure she could achieve it. When her voice was at it's prime it was pretty good. I mean, Sooner or later has to be the best example of what her voice can do regarding breath and muscle control. Okay so her range isn't enormous and she CAN be pitchy when performing but imagine most of the vocal 'powerhouses' doing what Madonna does on stage and keeping their pitch. I mean, even Sooner or later had lots of movement.