MDNA #1 in 50 countries

Flip The Switch

It's all been so low-key. I know the discussion at the moment is US-based, but it's even worse in the UK. At least the US had Superbowl (massive promo) and GMAYL went Top 10 (even if it was "bought").

In the UK GMAYL was a complete flop; no one saw the Superbowl apart from hardcore fans (1:00am on Sunday anyone?) and no one even knows she has a new album out. I was playing it today at work and one of my colleagues asked, "Oh I didn't realise she had a new album out." She did like "I'm Addicted" though.

Guest ditaluver

It's going to be really embarrassing if she debuts at lower than two.

when shes cashing her half-billion touring check I dont think she'll give a fuck!

It's all been so low-key. I know the discussion at the moment is US-based, but it's even worse in the UK. At least the US had Superbowl (massive promo) and GMAYL went Top 10 (even if it was "bought").

In the UK GMAYL was a complete flop; no one saw the Superbowl apart from hardcore fans (1:00am on Sunday anyone?) and no one even knows she has a new album out. I was playing it today at work and one of my colleagues asked, "Oh I didn't realise she had a new album out." She did like "I'm Addicted" though.

SIGH! Again, it's either M or InterScope/LiveNation to blame. I know she's busy with the rehearsal, but she should be put a week just to promote her shit. As fans, we did our best, i guess.

Perhaps they already know the number of how many albums were sold and how far ahead from Lionel's new album, that's why they don't even budge. Trying to be optimistic here.

when shes cashing her half-billion touring check I dont think she'll give a fuck!

if that was her attitude than why desperately trying to score a hit single the last albums with 4minutes and gmayl and working with fresh young hip stars. i do think she gives a rats arse but thinks her status alone will be enough to give her a number one album in the us and uk. i hope so..

she promoted the hell out of her movie, she could ve done a little more for the album..

I hope she does get to Number 1 but it seems like she doesn't care. Just focusing on the tour.

She knows she made a good album and that the majority of her fan ( apart from a few psychos who dubbed it " worst album of the year -and it's only MArch!" ) are very happy with MDNA.

But to be beaten to number one by Lionel 'Hello is it me you're looking for' Richie ?????FOR SHAME !

All of her studio albums from the previous decade were able to debut at number one. In the end she doesn't sell anymore except high front loaded debut week. Without it—what's the point?

SIGH! Again, it's either M or InterScope/LiveNation to blame. I know she's busy with the rehearsal, but she should be put a week just to promote her shit. As fans, we did our best, i guess.

Perhaps they already know the number of how many albums were sold and how far ahead from Lionel's new album, that's why they don't even budge. Trying to be optimistic here.

yeah it's strange they made it a point to say she was doing no promo during the Jimmy Fallon interview, I wonder if they know the numbers will be great and want to say they did it with no promo. They wouldn't have factored in Lionel Richie though, too late to do anything about that.

don't give up hope guys....she still can reach no. 1: she is battling with lionel on itunes.....there are other places where the album can be bought and that count for the bb hot 100..

i hoping she gets to number1!!

Guest Xanthium

Did she even do any promo for W.E. in England like tv interviews? I'm surprised she's completely shunning the UK. Is this revenge cause of Guy? It's all so bizarre.

Did she even do any promo for W.E. in England like tv interviews? I'm surprised she's completely shunning the UK. Is this revenge cause of Guy? It's all so bizarre.

Does she know the UK loves her more than fickle America?

Guest Xanthium

Does she know the UK loves her more than fickle America?

She's an idiot if she doesn't realize this. I can understand her courting the US this era because she wants more success in America but to basically shun the UK, which have worshipped her and done right by her for so long, is just ridiculous. I mean, the US has been so shitty to her for so long.

She's an idiot if she doesn't realize this. I can understand her courting the US this era because she wants more success in America but to basically shun the UK, which have worshipped her and done right by her for so long, is just ridiculous. I mean, the US has been so shitty to her for so long.

there's no difference between UK and US except she did the superbowl.

it's a good album, it will find its way.

Guest Xanthium

there's no difference between UK and US except she did the superbowl.

it's a good album, it will find its way.

What do you mean? No difference promotion-wise or how the countries treat her?

I know Madonna's an America girl. I love that's who she genuinely is and not some warmed over expat but...her focus on electronic music from European producers has served her well from Ray of Light forward. The fact remains she's a more artistically satisfying artist when she's indifferent to American trends and sensibilities.

Guest ditaluver

i just dont think she cares if it hits #1.

shes all about the touring. getting the album out and then touring.

i hope its #1

I keep fucking buying it!

What do you mean? No difference promotion-wise or how the countries treat her?

No difference promo-wise.

UK have always been better consumers for her, they usually support pop acts while it goes in and out of style in the US.

Madonna is doing a ton of dates all over the US, superbowl was more a push for that than the new album.

Guest Xanthium

I know Madonna's an America girl. I love that's who she genuinely is and not some warmed over expat but...her focus on electronic music from European producers has served her well from Ray of Light forward. The fact remains she's a more artistically satisfying artist when she's indifferent to American trends and sensibilities.

YES! I love her defiant European sensibilities. America has such a pole rammed up it's fucking ass, it's choking on it.

Guest groovyguy

read this: http://www.thegrio.com/entertainment/lionel-richie-has-going-country-resurrected-his-career.php

Combined with his HSN blowout, industry experts are projecting that Tuskegee will sell 75,000 to 100,000 copies in its first week. i don't think the shows he has arranged for the rest of the week will spike his sales to at least 2 times more to beat out mdna. so we can heave a sigh of relief.

YES! I love her defiant European sensibilities. America has such a pole rammed up it's fucking ass, it's choking on it.

America is an "ism" culture. Racism - sexism - ageism.

Guest Sinisin

She knows she made a good album and that the majority of her fan ( apart from a few psychos who dubbed it " worst album of the year -and it's only MArch!" ) are very happy with MDNA.

This is all that matters.

By Lauren Kreisler

Madonna's MDNA leads the charge for Number 1 album

Her twelfth studio album has seen the Queen of Pop collaborating with top flight dance producers including William Orbit, LMFAO and Benny Benassi, and features single Girl Gone Wild, the video for which harked back to Madonna's classic Erotica days.

MDNA is looking like a solid Number 1 for the 53 year old pop icon this weekend, and leads today by a cool 29,000 copies.

New entries and climbers

The release of the Complete Confection edition of the Katy Perry's sugary-sweet Teenage Dream album has bounced the album 29 places skywards to Number 5 today.

Noah Stewart's debut album Noah Stewart is on track to enter at Number 10. With his sportsman-like good looks and sharp dress sense, Noah Stewar appears every bit the pop star. However, while you could easily mistake the Harlem, New York native for the lead singer of a boyband or a soulful, R&B crooner, he is, in fact, a classically trained opera star.

Noah released his debut, self-titled album yesterday (Monday, March 26), so officialcharts.com decided to get him in for a chat to find out how he is managing to balance his career as an opera singer (he is currently performing at London's Royal Opera House in Judith Weir's Miss Fortune) with being a rising chart star.

Madonna's MDNA leads the charge for Number 1 album

A further flurry of new entries litter the Official Albums Chart Update Top 40 today - Iron Maiden's En Vivo (11), Shinedown's Amaryllis (14), Alter Bridge's Live At Wembley European Tour 2011 (15), All American Rejects' Kids In The Street (21), Karl Jenkins' Peacemakers (29), Mars Volta's Noctourniquet (31), Blood Red Shoes' In Time To Voices (36) and Madonna's The Complete Studio Albums completes today's albums rundown.

The full Official Albums Chart Update Top 40 is as follows:

OFFICIAL ALBUMS CHART UPDATE TOP 40

01 MDNA - MADONNA

02 NOTHING BUT THE BEAT - DAVID GUETTA

03 21 - ADELE

04 OUR VERSION OF EVENTS - EMELI SANDE

05 TEENAGE DREAM - KATY PERRY

06 WHO YOU ARE - JESSIE J

07 SONIK KICKS - PAUL WELLER

08 IN MY DREAMS - MILITARY WIVES

09 MYLO XYLOTO - COLDPLAY

10 NOAH - NOAH STEWART