MDNA vocals - WOW

Apples388

I would hardly call what I'm doing right now freaking out. Actually I think it's interesting that I clearly consider myself a fan of Britney and Gaga and yet you seem to be a hater and at the same time more passionate and obsessed with responding to topics and posts about them than I am.

Britney hater :lol: I post in the Janet thread 100xs more (and still not very often) yet I never get called out on that.

ACTUALLY Lucky Star was co-written by Steve Bray but they divided the credits for some reason and he got sole credit on another song they co-wrote. It was posted here a few weeks ago. And even though FANS love to bring up Lucky Star, it's not the song that made her a star, is it.

the songs she wrote were generally better than the songs written by other people, Into The Groove is her best song from the Virgin period, for example.

Britney Spears is an interesting case. She's not famous, and never has been, because of her "talent". She used to be able to sing minimally and was once an awesome dancer. Totally believe in her heyday she could've whooped Madonna's ASS in a dance off.

No. I'm obsessed with dance and Madonna destroys Britney. Genetically. Proportions. Interpretation. Everything.

ACTUALLY Lucky Star was co-written by Steve Bray but they divided the credits for some reason and he got sole credit on another song they co-wrote. It was posted here a few weeks ago. And even though FANS love to bring up Lucky Star, it's not the song that made her a star, is it.

I'm not saying that Madonna wasn't implicated in her career. Of course she was. Madonna MADE herself. Britney was made by others. I remember an interview by the person who did the lighting design for the Virgin tour and he said that Madonna demanded that he show her how she fit into the design. Britney would never do that. And that's why Madonna evolved into who she is today and Britney lost interest and relevance. My point is that it was never her amazing VOCALS or her DANCING that made Madonna a star. It was that intangible thing, the X Factor that people connected to. It's the same thing that made Britney a great popstar. Their difference in artistry accounted for their very different career paths.

Lucky Star, really? Wasn't it Everybody? I think the song they co-wrote where he got solo credit is Ain't no big deal.

As for the rest of your post i globally agree.

One thing we're missing in this impromptu Madonna/Britney Talent Debate, is that Madonna is a **visionary** artist/performance artist first and foremost. That informs EVERYTHING she does. It's always about ideas, concepts, details, and the way they are presented. **Vision**. Because of this, she's a much better craftsperson than her "peers". For example, Madonna would probably loose sleep at night if her lighting design wasn't working the way she imagined in tour rehearsals. She'd loose sleep over the tiniest detail related to any facet of her work, if it wasn't living up to her *vision*.

Most people have no idea of the amount of blood, sweat, tears, and terror that goes into something like the Superbowl Halftime. No idea. They also have no idea of the kind of talent/effort it takes to pull it off flawlessly, while making it look easy and FUN. I guarantee you she was up late at night for months reading books, watching old movies, writing notes, and generally brainstorming before she ever set foot in a rehearsal hall. Beyond whatever Madonna's X Factor is, it is this kind of attention to craft, that gives the great majority of her work a level of finesse I've never seen in her "peers".

Also, comparing Madonna and Britney's dance styles is really comparing Apples and Oranges. Britney comes from the Janet Jackson Dance Academy. Madonna comes from classical and modern. The classical and modern inform the street.

And speaking of Apples. Madonna has impeccable taste. To frame this in another light, Steve Jobs at Apple was known as a visionary, but beyond that he known for his impeccable taste. He'd never let anything slide and was obsessive about the tiniest details of EVERY aspect of Apple's products. From the machining/tolerance in the iPhone 4's SIM card slot (unparalleled), to the shades of colors used in App icons. Because of this, Apple is widely seen as a leader in their field, with products that have a level of finesse and quality with no equal. Even competing industry insiders agree. Bill Gates himself said he wished he had Steve Jobs' taste. This analogy could certainly be applied to Madonna, as she shares many of the same traits. There is a reason why every new pop star is compared to her. She's the gold standard. And there's a reason she was called the Queen of Pop long before we knew what a Britney or Gaga was.

Full disclosure: I'm not even a fan of 99% of modern mainstream *pop* music. I'm a full on rocker, and I come from the world of classical music. For her to appeal to me and people I know, means she's got something that no other pop star has. It's hard for me to see anyone compared to her, because imo they simply can't be.

Edited by Viktor

Guest Coked Up Baby Boy

MIRROR MIRROR ON THE WALL.

WHO IS THE CROWEST OF THEM ALL.

trhytrhytr.jpg

She sounds good on the album. But live all that high pitched singing will be CROWTASTIC :wow:

MIRROR MIRROR ON THE WALL.

WHO IS THE CROWEST OF THEM ALL.

trhytrhytr.jpg

She sounds good on the album. But live all that high pitched singing will be CROWTASTIC :wow:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :lmao::lmao::lmao:

One thing we're missing in this impromptu Madonna/Britney Talent Debate, is that Madonna is a **visionary** artist/performance artist first and foremost. That informs EVERYTHING she does. It's always about ideas, concepts, details, and the way they are presented. **Vision**. Because of this, she's a much better craftsperson than her "peers". For example, Madonna would probably loose sleep at night if her lighting design wasn't working the way she imagined in tour rehearsals. She'd loose sleep over the tiniest detail related to any facet of her work, if it wasn't living up to her *vision*.

Most people have no idea of the amount of blood, sweat, tears, and terror that goes into something like the Superbowl Halftime. No idea. They also have no idea of the kind of talent/effort it takes to pull it off flawlessly, while making it look easy and FUN. I guarantee you she was up late at night for months reading books, watching old movies, writing notes, and generally brainstorming before she ever set foot in a rehearsal hall. Beyond whatever Madonna's X Factor is, it is this kind of attention to craft, that gives the great majority of her work a level of finesse I've never seen in her "peers".

Also, comparing Madonna and Britney's dance styles is really comparing Apples and Oranges. Britney comes from the Janet Jackson Dance Academy. Madonna comes from classical and modern. The classical and modern inform the street.

And speaking of Apples. Madonna has impeccable taste. To frame this in another light, Steve Jobs at Apple was known as a visionary, but beyond that he known for his impeccable taste. He'd never let anything slide and was obsessive about the tiniest details of EVERY aspect of Apple's products. From the machining/tolerance in the iPhone 4's SIM card slot (unparalleled), to the shades of colors used in App icons. Because of this, Apple is widely seen as a leader in their field, with products that have a level of finesse and quality with no equal. Even competing industry insiders agree. Bill Gates himself said he wished he had Steve Jobs' taste. This analogy could certainly be applied to Madonna, as she shares many of the same traits. There is a reason why every new pop star is compared to her. And there's a reason she was called the Queen of Pop long before we knew what a Britney or Gaga was.

Full disclosure: I'm not even a fan of 99% of modern mainstream *pop* music. I'm a full on rocker, and I come from the world of classical music. For her to appeal to me and people I know, means she's got something that no other pop star has. It's hard for me to see anyone compared to her, because imo they simply can't be.

I think i'm in love with you. Would you marry me? :inlove:

And speaking of Apples. Madonna has impeccable taste. To frame this in another light, Steve Jobs at Apple was known as a visionary, but beyond that he known for his impeccable taste. He'd never let anything slide and was obsessive about the tiniest details of EVERY aspect of Apple's products. From the machining/tolerance in the iPhone 4's SIM card slot (unparalleled), to the shades of colors used in App icons. Because of this, Apple is widely seen as a leader in their field, with products that have a level of finesse and quality with no equal. Even competing industry insiders agree. Bill Gates himself said he wished he had Steve Jobs' taste. This analogy could certainly be applied to Madonna, as she shares many of the same traits. There is a reason why every new pop star is compared to her. And there's a reason she was called the Queen of Pop long before we knew what a Britney or Gaga was.

:clap::clap:

OMG Vocaldonna is back. :clap: She's never really going to return to the Music and ROL days, and her voice naturally went into decline thereafter. But I was so pleased that elsewhere on the album she didn't sound like GMAYL and use her Wicked Witch of The West/Human Nature register that was on GGW - which she could at least get away with there compared to the embarrassing Crowdonna of 4 Minutes, since that was r&b.

And Masterpiece was encouraging, even if her voice was clearly tired, but I could hear big chunks of Melodyne pitch correction through it - it's very subtle but you get used to hearing this from tracks in the top 40; something not quite right about it and computerized, at the end of each word sung there's an odd twang.

What's most notable here is the return of some conviction and soul to proceedings which has been missing for god knows how long and was always the thing that lifted even her most mediocre records, not the listless and lifeless mess of Hard Candy. I really feared for the worst of this record, particularly on that front, but it really sounds like she cares again.

And her speaking voice is amazing on Gang Bang - it's now a wonder why she wasn't able to be an actress cause the voice seemed to be the problem. Whereas on the hilarious Act of Contrition intro to GGW she sounds like Gaga impersonating Madonna and adopting her mannered enunciated voice as she does in interviews, so in a way that's fabulous. :lmao:

Normally I agree with your assessments but I disagree re: Masterpiece. I don't think she sounds tired at all. I think she sounds as emotionally charged as she has in her best ballads, and I feel it's one of her best vocal turns although immediately upstaged by Falling Free, which arguably is THE best vocal of her career!

When I say tired, what I mean is a voice that's clearly aged.. I just found that noticeable on there for some reason and one of the first times it's been so visible, particularly at the start and the verses. I suppose that also lends it some pathos and makes it haunting as well though.