MDNA ALBUM DISCUSSION (CONTINUED)

Ai Papi Si.

http://madonnalicious.typepad.com/madonnalicious/2012/05/madonna-display-at-virgin-megastore-paris.html

Madonna display at Virgin Megastore Paris

The Champs-Elysees branch of Virgin Megastore in Paris features this huge display of her current and previous CDs, 12 inches, singles and picture discs, and another display of the re-issue vinyl albums.

virginmegastore_paris1news.jpg

virginmegastore_paris2news.jpg

That's my shrine. :wow:

Guest groovyguy

http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/industry/record-labels/universal-music-group-q1-revenue-up-9-1-1007064152.story

Universal Music Group Q1 Revenue Up 9.1%, Credits Madonna, Nicki Minaj, Gotye, Van Halen Releases

May 15, 2012 | By Glenn Peoples (@billboardglenn), Nashville

2109259-Vivendi-Q1-Universal-Music-Numbers.png

Screen shot of Vivendi's First Quarter 2012 Results Apendix III.

Universal Music Group revenues increased 9.1% to €961 million ($1.28 billion at the March 31 exchange rate) in the first quarter of 2012 (6.7% at constant currency). Earnings before interest, taxes and amortization (EBITA) grew 47% (43.8% at constant currency) to €68 million ($90.8 million).

Warner Music Group Revenue Slipped 8% in Q1

Parent company Vivendi attributed revenue growth to a strong release schedule - Madonna, Nicki Minaj, Van Halen, Gotye, Lana Del Rey and Germany's Unheilig - and credited "continued focus on cost management" for the improvement in EBITA. Digital accounted for 39.8% of recorded music revenues.

Revenues at parent company Vivendi dropped 0.9% to €7.1 billion and adjusted net income was down 13.4% to €823 million. The revenues of game developer Activision Blizzard dropped 15.7% while Canal+ Group's revenue rose 3.4%.

Chief financial officer Philippe Capron told analysts on Tuesday's conference call that Universal's acquisition of EMI Music's recorded music division is "on track" and "in phase two" in both Europe and the U.S.

In regards to criticism about the deal, Capron said complaints about the merger "[come] mostly from our competitors, not really from either customers or the various partners in the value-added chain of the music industry." He added the company is "very confident" regulators will allow the merger to move forward, although he did not qualify that statement by noting if concessions would need to be made.

The earnings release mentioned the acquisition only by saying the deal "remains subject to the approvals of the relevant regulatory authorities."

Guest groovyguy

http://www.madonnatribe.com/news/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=7060

Like A Virgin (Megastore)

Live from France - Every fan who had the chance to visit the fantastic French Virgin Megastore in Avenue des Champs-Élysées knows how the Parisian flagship store always have a soft spot for Madonna.

And when a new album is out and a tour is approaching it simply gets better! As you can see from the images below snapped for you by our longtime friend and contributor Rinat, new and old releases are mixed up in an amazing Madonna shrine - that you can buy, for once!

Have a look at the new album reiusses from Warner/Rhino as well as an incredible selection of 12'' singles, and of course, the two versions of the MDNA album and its singles.

virgin_megastore_paris_500.jpg

virgin_megastore_paris_001.jpgvirgin_megastore_paris_002.jpgvirgin_megastore_paris_003.jpgvirgin_megastore_paris_004.jpgvirgin_megastore_paris_005.jpgvirgin_megastore_paris_006.jpgvirgin_megastore_paris_007.jpgvirgin_megastore_paris_008.jpgvirgin_megastore_paris_009.jpg

maybe wrong thread, don't know...but just a curiosity...

after a months (some people will kill me) i opened my email account and between the 200+ unread mails there were one from apple customer service replying one my mail were a protested for the delay in the downloading mdna pre-order (maybe someone will remember...). this replay was meaningless and totally unusefull, so i replied telling them that this preorder would have been my last....today they answered me refounding me $9,99 and for the wrong reason...they thought that i purchased the album twice...while i was only angered for the delay and the same day had to go to a store buying the special edition (for 23+dollars)..and...don't know why adele's 21 ninja.gif . however i would have bought it anyway (mdna physical cd...)...

i must protest more often.. lol.gif

maybe wrong thread, don't know...but just a curiosity...

after a months (some people will kill me) i opened my email account and between the 200+ unread mails there were one from apple customer service replying one my mail were a protested for the delay in the downloading mdna pre-order (maybe someone will remember...). this replay was meaningless and totally unusefull, so i replied telling them that this preorder would have been my last....today they answered me refounding me $9,99 and for the wrong reason...they thought that i purchased the album twice...while i was only angered for the delay and the same day had to go to a store buying the special edition (for 23+dollars)..and...don't know why adele's 21 ninja.gif . however i would have bought it anyway (mdna physical cd...)...

i must protest more often.. lol.gif

I wonder if they counted two copies sold. If so, MDNA flop is solved! We all just have to do the same and BING! MDNA double its sales!

Not sure if this was posted:

http://www.bangaloremirror.com/article/31/2012051620120516195922862af650051/Decoding-the-DNA-of-Madonna%E2%80%99s-MDNA.html

Decoding the DNA of Madonna’s MDNA

In an exclusive interview, the pop queen talks about her new album and collaborations

Posted On Wednesday, May 16, 2012 at 07:59:17 PM

In 1984, when she sang Like a Virgin, touched for the very first time…. the world paused; of course they knew she was no virgin (by no stretch of imagination), but when she crooned, ‘I made it through the wilderness…’ music lovers knew that Madonna was indeed special.

After more than three decades, Madonna has more than made it through the wilderness — she owns it! She is one of the 25 most powerful women of this century. She is a chameleon, a phoenix …all rolled into one. She could easily be the poster child of the term Evolution —that is the secret of her longevity in this fickle-minded music business.

At 53, she’s released her 12th studio album MDNA. In December 2010, Madonna announced on her Facebook page: “Its official! I need to move. I need to sweat. I need to make new music! Music I can dance to. I’m on the look-out for the maddest, sickest, most badass people to collaborate with…” She got what she wanted. MDNA has seen her collaborating with producers Benny Benassi, William Orbit, Martin Solveig and others, apart from having artists such as Nicki Minaj and M.I.A.

“I’m always collaborating and other people’s inputs matter to me,” said the Queen of Pop in an exclusive email interview with Bangalore Mirror. “Nickie and M.I.A. are very strong as artists and individuals; they are smart and cool. I worked with Benny, who barely speaks a word of English and I communicated with him through his cousin. For me when you work with someone for the first time, you need to find a common ground with that person for things to work out smoothly. William Orbit is very passionate about what he does and it’s not the first time I have worked with him.

He is very articulate, but a mad scientist. I work with him in a particular way and together we come up with unique stuff. Then with Martin Solveig, we both share the same love of foreign films. All the songs we did together, we used films for metaphors, as kind of spring boards. He is a person who understands pop music, and the symmetry of pop music. The thing is, a lot of people think of Martin Solveig as a DJ, but actually he is a very talented musician.”

Madonna is the favourite child of controversy. Even after a dozen albums, controversies are part of her persona —whether she likes it or not. MDNA too came charging into the world with controversy pegged on its tail. It was said that it was M.I.A who suggested the name of the album “as it would be a good abbreviation of Madonna's name”. Madonna, who enjoys stirring the pot, came on a television show and implied that the name of the album could refer to the drug MDMA or ecstasy. She (finally) clears the air now: “MDNA simply stands for Madonna. It’s not that I am a narcissist, but basically music is in my DNA so you see MDNA’. Ah, now we get it —Music in Madonna’s DNA!

MDNA has blasted to the No:1 spot on the music charts in the UK. It is Madonna’s fifth #1 studio album in a row. This also gives her the distinction of having the most No:1 albums (12) by a solo artist -surpassing Elvis Presley, and only behind The Beatles, who have had 15 No:1 albums there.

The album’s lead single, Give Me All Your Luvin, was released on February 3, 2012. Another notable song from the album is Masterpiece, originally recorded for the soundtrack of the 2012 film W.E and was later incorporated into the album. The song comes with the message: “No matter how high you might rise in the world you are still a human being.” Madonna says, “The song is a very emotional love song that talks about a woman who has fallen in love with this untouchable thing, this man that was raised to be king. It was my manager Guy who kept annoying me the whole time while I was filming and editing my movie to write the song. But I was so focused on my movie and really had no time. So after I completed the film I started making my record and somehow the song just miraculously came up. I guess I must thank Guy for being so annoying.”

Madonna is the favourite child of controversy. Even after a dozen albums, controversies are part of her persona —whether she likes it or not. MDNA too came charging into the world with controversy pegged on its tail. It was said that it was M.I.A who suggested the name of the album “as it would be a good abbreviation of Madonna's name”. Madonna, who enjoys stirring the pot, came on a television show and implied that the name of the album could refer to the drug MDMA or ecstasy. She (finally) clears the air now: “MDNA simply stands for Madonna. It’s not that I am a narcissist, but basically music is in my DNA so you see MDNA’. Ah, now we get it —Music in Madonna’s DNA!

Thank you, M.I.A. for a CLASSIC title. :thumbsup:

Guest groovyguy

http://www.madonnarama.com/posts-en/2012/05/17/madonna-id-like-to-work-with-indian-artist-ar-rahman-2/

Madonna: I’d like to work with Indian artist AR Rahman

Although hugely popular in India, Madonna has somehow never performed for her fans there.

Talking to two publications – Hindustan Times and DNA India – about what’s kept her away from the country.

Read a mix of both interviews…

They say showbiz is a young person’s game, especially if you are a woman. How do you keep proving people wrong?

Madonna: I feel it’s just because I love everything I do and my dedication towards it. When it comes to music, I know my fans look forward to my music and as long as I have stuff to tell I will continue making music.

Does being on top of the game impose more pressure to deliver as per expectations?

Madonna: I always give my best to whatever I do. In fact, even today I don’t think presenting any of my work is less nerve-racking than it ever was. Even with MDNA, what kept playing on my mind is what’s going to be the response and whether the album is going to be appreciated or no. And yes, fame does have a flipside.

Britney Spears complimented you on your album and you’ve reportedly wanted to kiss her again. Will we see you girls create history once more? Also, how, according to you, does Twitter change the relationship between a performer and his/her audience?

Madonna: Yes, I’m sure we will create history again and of course the social networking site does connect you with your fans much closely. You get to know more about what they think about your music and you as a performer.

Could you describe the emotions that went into the making of your latest album?

Madonna: Like I keep saying, over the last few years I felt like an animal that is caged up and who wants to get out of that cage. I felt like I need to return to the basics of stringing my guitar and expressing emotions. It just felt so good when I was writing songs, playing on the guitar and singing, which I haven’t done in years. So I just wanted to enunciate not just one but all the different emotions and stuff that life is made of.

What about the title, MDNA?

Madonna: MDNA mainly signifies my name.

It also represents Madonna DNA.

I’m happy that it has done well.

Even today, I’m anxious to know everyone’s response to my work.

Would you be interested to come to India for an album tour?

Madonna: I haven’t got the chance to tour India, but I would surely love to. I’m sure if I come to perform sometime it’s going to be a great experience.

I would like to work with AR Rahman when the opportunity comes, and things work out. Only then we will be able to decide on the music.

Did you enjoy your trip here, back in 2007?

Madonna: I really did. I had gone with my family and friends and I completely fell in love with the culture and traditions of Rajasthan.

I also heard a few folk songs and saw some traditional dances.

Do you watch Bollywood movies?

Madonna: I haven’t, but I know they are very colourful and have huge dance sequences. I’m sure I’ll enjoy them. I haven’t heard a lot of desi music, but I’m familiar with Indian music.

In case you don’t know who AR Rahman is, you can listen to these two great songs…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=384tEtJBCqw

http://madonnalicious.typepad.com/madonnalicious/2012/05/madonna-display-at-virgin-megastore-paris.html

The Champs-Elysees branch of Virgin Megastore in Paris features this huge display of her current and previous CDs, 12 inches, singles and picture discs, and another display of the re-issue vinyl albums.

I like that Bob Dylan and Jack White fill up the space in her display, fabulous, she should be treated as nothing less than those cred rock acts.

William Orbit on Facebook

http://www.facebook.com/WilliamOrbit

I appreciate your analysis of the album release 'strategy' @Madonna Express Yourself. I wasn't involved in its formulation in any way myself. All I will say is that certain thoughts about it that I see expressed online by committed fans such as yourself, were blindingly obvious to me from the very get go, well before the release. But I'm no Jimmy Iovine, with the ability to advocate my convictions forcefully, and as co-producer, co-writer etc am aware that it is not in my 'job spec'.

But you won't see me exactly jumping up and down with delight over the way that things have panned out. We were very pushed for time, due to a rather interesting and shall we just say, 'traditional' method of recording that the esteemed engineer Demo was partial to, and various pressing commitments that took up the artists limited time, such as perfume ranges and teen fashion contests and other such endeavours which are beyond my own limited understanding of pop star agendas.

The recording sessions for the six songs I did were hugely enjoyable for all of us. M was on form and better than ever with her singing and writing and musicality, and was having a great time. We had songs lined up that were breathtaking. You'll hear some of them on Chris Brown's new album, and they are the best ones, Kreayshawn's (INCREDIBLE) new album, my own recently completed 'Strange Cargo' album. And some other surprising places. SNAPPED up by the artists concerned. Most of them, I believe, destined to become classics (let me know in a couple months wether you concur with that)

The team I assembled in NY for MDNA were, and are as good as it gets now. Writers and musicians and performers I picked because they take my breath away with their talent. And are totally of-the-moment in everything good that is going on in contemporary music at the moment. And usually hard to book because they are so in demand. And all of us fully committed to putting ourselves through extraordinary efforts to make MDNA the greatest album of the year.

But alas, the time wasn't there. Great swathes of it taken up by the engineer and his assistant bouncing reverb tracks for hour after hour, night after night. Not to real tape or anything, where you could posit that there would be an advantageous sonic dividend (real tape can be magic) but all in the digital domain. A purely procedural thing. Although not a procedure I or any of my own colleagues in this game would want to squander time with.

I was just describing to a friend of mine, and whom I frequently work with Serban Ghenea (just look him up if you want to be awed) how it was done, and he thought I was kidding him!

Over the years it's become obvious to me that along with Madonna being the greatest pop artist of ALL time, her fan base are also the most ardent, cohesive, discerning and loyal fan base of any artist. Not saying that to blow smoke, is quite obviously true. Big respect. And long life to us all. And as you look at things in a 'long term' way (my way also) you always call it like you see it. And I'm with you on that too. Be honest and true, speak your heart and mind, and let the dust fall where it will.

William Orbit: Oh, and if some bright spark at marketing central suggested a Hilary Clinton approach, ie, press 'restart' and get back in the studio for a couple weeks and do what they nowadays call a 're-pack', I'd certainly put my hand up for that, whatever else I had going on. But realistically, there is only one person that could make that happen. And with the best songs in the world, and the best mixing, best ProToolsing, best team, best lyrics, best bananas, after this little screed I don't suppose I should while away my hours staring at the phone! :) But i feel better for saying all that. Debt free and not beholden. The thing about having little appetite for riches and fame, and no great tower of expectations, you haven't got anything to be taken away. And having always been an outsider, outside in the cold, It's always clear which way the wind is blowing. I was never inside any bubble long enough to forget how the wind blows, and changes, and ebbs and gusts, and dies away completely. As before a storm. And that a beautiful bubble might yield to even a the breeze from a humble fan

wow, i've never seen so many old vinyls for sale in a record store!!!!!! I would buy that American LIfe one (i have another one in vinyl) and DW (mine was second hand and absolutly shattered).

Guest Not4Pussies

what's Orbit's problem?

did he have a fallout with M?

is he disappointed about the album flopping or that none of his songs were released as singles?

William Orbit on Facebook

http://www.facebook.com/WilliamOrbit

I appreciate your analysis of the album release 'strategy' @Madonna Express Yourself. I wasn't involved in its formulation in any way myself. All I will say is that certain thoughts about it that I see expressed online by committed fans such as yourself, were blindingly obvious to me from the very get go, well before the release. But I'm no Jimmy Iovine, with the ability to advocate my convictions forcefully, and as co-producer, co-writer etc am aware that it is not in my 'job spec'.

But you won't see me exactly jumping up and down with delight over the way that things have panned out. We were very pushed for time, due to a rather interesting and shall we just say, 'traditional' method of recording that the esteemed engineer Demo was partial to, and various pressing commitments that took up the artists limited time, such as perfume ranges and teen fashion contests and other such endeavours which are beyond my own limited understanding of pop star agendas.

The recording sessions for the six songs I did were hugely enjoyable for all of us. M was on form and better than ever with her singing and writing and musicality, and was having a great time. We had songs lined up that were breathtaking. You'll hear some of them on Chris Brown's new album, and they are the best ones, Kreayshawn's (INCREDIBLE) new album, my own recently completed 'Strange Cargo' album. And some other surprising places. SNAPPED up by the artists concerned. Most of them, I believe, destined to become classics (let me know in a couple months wether you concur with that)

The team I assembled in NY for MDNA were, and are as good as it gets now. Writers and musicians and performers I picked because they take my breath away with their talent. And are totally of-the-moment in everything good that is going on in contemporary music at the moment. And usually hard to book because they are so in demand. And all of us fully committed to putting ourselves through extraordinary efforts to make MDNA the greatest album of the year.

But alas, the time wasn't there. Great swathes of it taken up by the engineer and his assistant bouncing reverb tracks for hour after hour, night after night. Not to real tape or anything, where you could posit that there would be an advantageous sonic dividend (real tape can be magic) but all in the digital domain. A purely procedural thing. Although not a procedure I or any of my own colleagues in this game would want to squander time with.

I was just describing to a friend of mine, and whom I frequently work with Serban Ghenea (just look him up if you want to be awed) how it was done, and he thought I was kidding him!

Over the years it's become obvious to me that along with Madonna being the greatest pop artist of ALL time, her fan base are also the most ardent, cohesive, discerning and loyal fan base of any artist. Not saying that to blow smoke, is quite obviously true. Big respect. And long life to us all. And as you look at things in a 'long term' way (my way also) you always call it like you see it. And I'm with you on that too. Be honest and true, speak your heart and mind, and let the dust fall where it will.

WOW, how are we not all talking about this?

But I can't see it on his profile proper. Where is it?

He can blame Guy Oseary all he wants, but at the end of the day it's MADONNA who agrees to waste time on teenage clothing lines and the like. I don't think it was W.E. that (only) took her time away from the album. That shit was done before July 2011 (although of course she continued editing until November, but probably using much less of her time, just reviewing). I think it was all the merchandise or whatever you call it that took away precious hours and days so that she could have her head in the game.

It would be a real pity to hear Chris Brown have some great songs, but I'm curious to hear them. For. Sure.

Yes, this Orbit talk deserves its own THREAD. Even silly me had overlooked it. It's really revealing that

1. Somebody fucked up

2. Very good songs haven't beren picked

3. All those stupid perfumes and things are RUINING music quality in Madonna's career. Sorry, but i think that's the truth. And that's why i can't understand why fans celebrate when it's reported that Madonna will earn 500 million this year. If that's because she couldn't spend time recording the album...

someone posted this on his page. i agree with a lot of what he says

"William, "perfume ranges and teen fashion contests and other such endeavours"... It's painful to watch, really. The Madonna brand has turned into such a cynical marketing plan - and a really ill-informed paint-by-numbers one, at that - with no real drive behind it existentially, any more. I mean, it was always calculated, but it was intertwined with the music, with the whole package, and in that way it meant something and it worked. It worked WITH culture, it fucked with it, that's how she became so iconic. But this is just led on a leash by Marketing 101, except none of them even seem to be able to nurture the brand properly to play with, they just play with it, and off she goes on these ridiculous co-branding exercises that are designed to build her base, but then achieve nothing more than giving the crazy diehards something else to camp out for and post pics with to facebook. They're making do with what they have, but they don't seem to have a general concept there of what they're doing with "Madonna" - and, I hate to say it, but she's like a stunned rabbit lately. And fair enough, she's older, she's not connected to it, and maybe she just doesn't give a fuck anymore - different when she was a vicious 33 year old egomaniac, and then a 40 year old enlightened warrior wanting to explain herself to the world. Now she's just kinda clinging on to demographics - looking like she doesn't have the first clue how to deal with, uh-oh, getting old in the fame cycle - and clearly standing behind a team she is in no way an active part of, and a team that has no long term interest in her, and no real understanding of her it would seem. There's no ideology, it's transient marketing - and without the ideology there's nothing to market, they just don't get that. They've fragmented her and repackaged her to fit so may various "contemporary" models, she's everything and nothing at all. I mean, the kids will never like her - never - and the older broader audience have a very distinct view of Madonna, and it's very negative these days, and yet they don't address that or work with that, they just repackage her in so many ways that play into the negative branding. It's a wonder any of them still have a job.

But then, is she surrounded by Yes Men, and just doesn't even realise? That's the bit that concerns me, because then there will be no lesson learned from MDNA. And instead of a corner being turned, she'll just repeat the same mistakes til she fades horrendously and in a way that is, quite frankly, wrong for someone as fabulous as her to end up! And that's the thing, no, William, it's not your problem or your domain, so it's by no means your fault or responsibility... but you know very well whatever happens in that studio, good or bad, is still ultimately at the hands of the marketing (that's part of your frustration, no less?!), and that's what happened to MDNA, everyone who understands the process can see that. She needs to sack those idiots and decide what brand she's going to be - then, with the right people and vision, be it - and then make a killer album to go with it. I can't bear to see her sitting on a catwalk for a department store, going "Well, this cool neon pink sweater is perfect for school and parties". It's painful! It's like "Hello! For fuck's sake, you're MADONNA!"

I don't think we've crossed paths before on this forum, but I think this explanation is absolutely genius. I work in branding and have my head so up Madge's ass and her beautiful music and touring that I hadn't even thought about the big picture that way. It's so true that at the center of all this satellite projects there really doesn't seem to be a clear understanding of what "Madonna" means, or could mean --- and how since she has always been that perfect mix of counter-cultural and total mainstream, EVERYTHING SHE DOES SHOULD BE A REFLECTION OF THAT. I mean, look at Bjork. The album is insufferable but the concept, promotion, and marketing behind it is absolute genius and completely reflective of her personality.

Mind you, I think the album is fantastic, but I think it would be nice to see her being more creative and involved in the promotion of it - and of course if it ends up being true that we missed some great songs that I will now have to hear through Chris fucking Brown then I'd be outright pissed :)

But why give away songs to women beater Chris Brown!!!! I'm sorry but that's low of Orbit! It's all about making money! I'm sure if the album sold millions, he wouldn't be saying this. He gave songs to fucking shit bag Brown!!!!

But why give away songs to women beater Chris Brown!!!! I'm sorry but that's low of Orbit! It's all about making money! I'm sure if the album sold millions, he wouldn't be saying this. He gave songs to fucking shit bag Brown!!!!

That was what I was thinking. :lol::rant:

What album is that underneath the MDNA deluxe editions?