I'M FALLING FREEEEHE

ryan

so she didn't write Falling Free at all? =|

I always had the impression that Madonna wrote most of the lyrics, but apparently she didn't. She may have changed a few words or lines, but that's it.

:(

I know people will give me a lot of shit for saying this, but it's funny how personal songs like GB, LS, FF seem to have very small input lyrics-wise (if at all) from Madonna herself. A bit disappointing, but whatever.

Now this is disappointing. :mellow:

Didn't Orbit say in an interview that 'Falling Free' was the song Madonna had the most fun working on musically? I always had the feeling as if she was heavily involved in the making of this song since it's very personal and it sounds rather unfinished/raw...

I know people will give me a lot of shit for saying this, but it's funny how personal songs like GB, LS, FF seem to have very small input lyrics-wise (if at all) from Madonna herself. A bit disappointing, but whatever.

Yes, I noticed that, too. Generally, Madonna didn't write any lyrics for any of the song co-produced by William Orbit, apart from "Gang Bang" and "Some Girls", where she changed some of the lyrics from the original demos.

Now this is disappointing. :mellow:

Didn't Orbit say in an interview that 'Falling Free' was the song Madonna had the most fun working on musically? I always had the feeling as if she was heavily involved in the making of this song since it's very personal and it sounds rather unfinished/raw...

I'm not sure about that, but I remember William Orbit saying that "Falling Free" is his favourite song on the album.

As for Madonna's involvement, she does play the acoustic guitar on the album version, even though it's only for a few bars.

That's the first time she's been credited for playing an instrument on any of her records since "Holiday", on which she plays the cowbell.

Given that Joe Henry was credited on the song, wasn't it a given that he and Madonna worked on the lyrics together? Laurie doesn't mention Madonna at all, but it's highly likely that the lyrics that she attributed solely to Joe Henry were a Henry/Madonna co-write (similar to "Jump"). William Orbit and Joe Henry have never collaborated on anything in the past, so Madonna is almost certainly the person who brought those lyrics to him (i.e. Joe didn't contact William and say, "Hey, Billy, here are some lyrics that you could use for anything random that you're working on with whoever at the moment - use them as you please!" :) ).

I really dont mind though. She takes alot of lyrics and songs or demos and totally reworks them alot of the time.

Years ago I was letdown when I found out my favorite Madonna song of all time (Ray of Light) was really a remake of some crappy folk sounding song.

Madonna wrote it.

That woman came up with the melody.

Melody.

Melody.

Melody.

Stop causing trouble msig.

I don't think msig's trying to cause trouble. He's just reporting what someone from another forum who interviewed Laurie Mayer has written. Laurie Mayer didn't mention Madonna's involvement in the composition of the lyrics of "Falling Free" at all, so some have decided that this is 100% proof that Madonna robbed everyone and stole her writer's credit (since she couldn't possibly have worked on the lyrics with her brother-in-law without Laurie knowing!).

Guest Not4Pussies

then again she also took writing credit for Don't Tell Me when we all know Joe Henry wrote all the lyrics to it

but what M and Mirwais did to the final version is amazing

i dont know about Jump, Devil...

then again she also took writing credit for Don't Tell Me when we all know Joe Henry wrote all the lyrics to it

but what M and Mirwais did to the final version is amazing

i dont know about Jump, Devil...

M never took credit for the lyrics. But the top melody is all her and Mirwais' work.

Madonna wrote it.

That woman came up with the melody.

Melody.

Melody.

Melody.

Stop causing trouble msig.

How can referring and commenting an interview with a composer of a song be considered "causing trouble"? :huh:

The only things we know for sure is that Laurie Mayer composed the top melody by herself based on an instrumental track done by William Orbit and lyrics that to Laurie Mayer's knowledge were written by Joe Henry.

We don't know anything about Madonna's actual contributions to the songwriting process - all we have is assumptions based on what Laurie Mayer has and hasn't said. In any case, whoever wrote the song, did a good job, and it's one of my favourite ballads recorded by Madonna.

Even though this is a nice change of pace on the album, I don't know why you're all raving so much about it.

I got tired of it quite quickly. I think it's a bit monotonous at times. It's weird because parts of it are sung really well in a 'Julie Andrews' type way , but other parts are rather crow like e.g. "And ccccraaalll beneath that growing thing" .

The song just doesn't build and ebb in the way her greatest ballads do (eg TPOG, I'll Remember, Oh Father).

But the main good thing about it is that it's the kind of unusual album track that sets M apart from the pack

• 1 month later...