I'M FALLING FREEEEHE

ryan

I want to cry whenever I hear this song, it makes me feel like such a queer. lol

I'm sure many will disagree but I truly think this ballad holds up against the best of her ballads with Patrick Leonard. It's got that grand, lush feel to it and also that somber quality that only her ballads with PL have. Prior to this song I would've said You'll See was the last great ballad she had. That one though does sound more of it's time while FF has a more timeless quality to it, again like her best ones with PL. This is probably my favorite ballad of hers since the LAP album.

I'm sure many will disagree but I truly think this ballad holds up against the best of her ballads with Patrick Leonard. It's got that grand, lush feel to it and also that somber quality that only her ballads with PL have. Prior to this song I would've said You'll See was the last great ballad she had. That one though does sound more of it's time while FF has a more timeless quality to it, again like her best ones with PL. This is probably my favorite ballad of hers since the LAP album.

I can see that, it's got a timeless sound to it that DWRY didn't have (at least in the version we've heard). Falling Free and Masterpiece are a good return to ballads for Madonna.

13.) With lyrics reeking of subtle spirituality: "The face of God that stands above, pouring over Hope and Love. That all of might, and life, and limb could turn around and love again," Madonna should keep taking this direction towards the light. Profound verses last heard in Ray Of Light strengthen the piece all the more. Falling Free is the brightly positive flipside to the haunting darkness of Mer Girl. This song glowingly ends the standard edition album. The vocals are somewhat nasal but compelling nonetheless. Listeners are treated to a harmony that puts

lingering in mind.

Vocals: 2, Production: 2, Lyrics: 2, Chorus Strength: 2, Mainstream Appeal: 2 = (10/10)

other tracks on http://mymonumentali...nce-review.html

13.) With lyrics reeking of subtle spirituality: "The face of God that stands above, pouring over Hope and Love. That all of might, and life, and limb could turn around and love again," Madonna should keep taking this direction towards the light. Profound verses last heard in Ray Of Light strengthen the piece all the more. Falling Free is the brightly positive flipside to the haunting darkness of Mer Girl. This song glowingly ends the standard edition album. The vocals are somewhat nasal but compelling nonetheless. Listeners are treated to a harmony that puts

lingering in mind.

Vocals: 2, Production: 2, Lyrics: 2, Chorus Strength: 2, Mainstream Appeal: 2 = (10/10)

other tracks on http://mymonumentali...nce-review.html

Awesome review! :thumbsup: it does sound like it'd feel right at home on ROL or maybe even Music.

I think Falling Free should have been the lead single. So different to anything else out there.

I can see that. It's the same way I see ROL as a summery album even though it's considered to be deep and even a little dark in places. It must be something about WO's production.

In a weird way it's summery despite being a ballad.

I can see that. It's the same way I see ROL as a summery album even though it's considered to be deep and even a little dark in places. It must be something about WO's production.

Funny you should say this -- comparing it to the summer season. There was a contest for ICON to win a copy of the official calendar (there are two editions -- one U.S. and one European). Anyway, the contest was to compare one track from the MDNA album to one month of the year in 20 words or less.

I compared "Falling Free" to December -- the winter season. I think there's something about it that evokes delicate snowflakes (especially the middle orchestral section) ... To me, it's more wintry. The chilly darkness of a winter evening -- still undisturbed snow that glitters in the moonlight and starlight, with stark, bare tree limbs reaching into the cold evening air. Even with the winter season of life settling in, there's still the hope for spring's warmth to return. I don't remember how I exactly reduced that to 20 words, and I wasn't notified that I won, so I imagine Madonna must think that it's a summer track, too -- and that I am crazy for thinking it's winter! Oh well.

I compared "Falling Free" to December -- the winter season. I think there's something about it that evokes delicate snowflakes (especially the middle orchestral section) ... To me, it's more wintry. The chilly darkness of a winter evening -- still undisturbed snow that glitters in the moonlight and starlight, with stark, bare tree limbs reaching into the cold evening air. Even with the winter season of life settling in, there's still the hope for spring's warmth to return. I don't remember how I exactly reduced that to 20 words, and I wasn't notified that I won, so I imagine Madonna must think that it's a summer track, too -- and that I am crazy for thinking it's winter! Oh well.

Agreed. Ironically though, there is something very "spring time" about it to me as well...maybe it is the Celtic vibe.

Agreed. Ironically though, there is something very "spring time" about it to me as well...maybe it is the Celtic vibe.

True, especially the 'whatever river runs aground / it turns my head and washes down ...' That lyric makes me think of verdant imagery and babbling brooks for spring melt.

Maybe it's a whole season-cycle in a song! lol. But yes, there's a strong Celtic vibe to it, too.

True, especially the 'whatever river runs aground / it turns my head and washes down ...' That lyric makes me think of verdant imagery and babbling brooks for spring melt.

Maybe it's a whole season-cycle in a song! lol. But yes, there's a strong Celtic vibe to it, too.

:) Totally! I love when people see imagery via music.

Does anyone know what the song is really saying? The lyrics confuse me a bit and I know it's a beautiful song but I'd probably find it more relatable if I understood it more.

I take it to be about the paradox of feeling very close to someone right when you know it's time to let go. The ambivalence of letting go of one of the loves of your life - you love them deeply ("what you give is what I love"), but it's just not working anymore. And when you let lose "the need to know" (why it's not working, what's going on) you are free to go.

If she put so much energy into lyrics like this... well, it'd take her ten years to produce an album, but what a beautiful album that would be.

I truly think Joe Henry is the only worthy lyricist she's worked with since Patrick Leonard (although not as good in terms of producing hooks).

• 3 months later...

It took all this time, but I finally get it. What a gorgeous song!!! Ugh, it melts my heart :inlove:

What is your take on it? Love to hear your interpretation of the song. I love it but Im not clear about its meaning...

What is your take on it? Love to hear your interpretation of the song. I love it but Im not clear about its meaning...

It's about her breakup with Guy Ritchie, I'd imagine. She's talking about two people being in love (hearts aligning), but when she lets go of the "need to know" they're both free to go (move on with their lives). Maybe she always found herself wondering what he was doing, who he was with, why didn't it work, etc., which almost sounds sonically represented by that instrumental piece in the middle. But once she's let loose those questions, she can move on. Edited by adirondak

It's about the complexities of the relationship. The ways good and bad things overlap, what feels good can be bad for you, etc.

Your days were meant to fly and do

I've fallen from mine into you

And what you take is just enough

And what you give is what I love

And when you lift you raise the sail

And then I'm free, free to fail

is about how she became docile and dependent. She was able to fail because he protected her, and probably vice versa, which as we know is far away from what M wants from herself. Here she's talking about how much she loved him and how happy she was, but how it wasn't right.

Your days were meant to fly and do

I've fallen from mine into you

And what you take is just enough

And what you give is what I love

And when you lift you raise the sail

And then I'm free, free to fail

My God those are some great lyrics. Did she write this alone?

It's about the complexities of the relationship. The ways good and bad things overlap, what feels good can be bad for you, etc. Your days were meant to fly and do I've fallen from mine into you And what you take is just enough And what you give is what I love And when you lift you raise the sail And then I'm free, free to fail is about how she became docile and dependent. She was able to fail because he protected her, and probably vice versa, which as we know is far away from what M wants from herself. Here she's talking about how much she loved him and how happy she was, but how it wasn't right.

It's about her breakup with Guy Ritchie, I'd imagine. She's talking about two people being in love (hearts aligning), but when she lets go of the "need to know" they're both free to go (move on with their lives). Maybe she always found herself wondering what he was doing, who he was with, why didn't it work, etc., which almost sounds sonically represented by that instrumental piece in the middle. But once she's let loose those questions, she can move on.

Thank u!!! :)

I love this song and everytime I hear it get a different meaning. Sometimes I think that it is about a relationship with the world, with knowledge and with the ability to love... that when you finally get all the answers you are free from this need to understand and explain everything...

As my native languaje is spanish I dont fully understand the meaning of the phrase: Im falling free, is it like falling from a high altitude like sky diving or is it like a sense of freedom..?

:)

• 1 month later...

In a recent interview with MadonnaNewEra.net, Laurie Mayer reveals how "Falling Free" was written.

Basically, Laurie Mayer wrote the top melody based on William Orbit's instrumental track and Joe Henry's lyrics.

Laurie Mayer wrote the melody with Madonna in mind, but didn't know at the time that Madonna would end up recording it.

Full interview at http://madonnanewera.net/voices/332-laurie-mayer