Review/Rate/Rank MDNA

Guest Xanthium

I can't enough of this album even Girl Gone Wild has grown on me so much that i think it's fantastic even all my friends love it. For *me* aside from Give Me All Your Love(HUGE mistake ruined the album for radio when it's hated by most people in Montreal **side note WE LOVE HER HERE!** than you know it wasn't a good decision for the lead off single. Confirmed. Again for any artist the lead single either kills the album on arrival or makes it. Everyone knows this and as you get older in Madonna case her first singles are VERY CRUCIAL.

Anyway i'm sooooooooo in love this album i couldn't care less about radio support anywhere. She will make the most money of any artist by the end of the year. Madonna will be laughing her whoring ass all the way to the bank. Confirmed!

1. Girl Gone Wild 9/10 - Was not sure on this one at all at first but it's the ultimate grower. As someone here said very rave, and I just can't resist those heavy Sash!-style Eurodance chords getting deeper and deeper each time. This is the first Madonna single that actually sounds like a remix (OK there's its lesser predecessor Celebration but whatevs).

2. Gang Bang 9/10 - Cool as fuck! Quite unlike anything she's done of course and I love the comparison to Patti Smith.

3. I'm Addicted 10/10 - It doesn't get any better than this, though very reminiscent of past rave/trance tracks (it essentially uses Bobby Orlando as a template who modified previous touchstone LaDonna/Moroder with a harder variant on IFL), this is her deepest dance track ever.

Bye bye Get Together, you were just dance lite with clean pop production compared to this. Gotta love the drug references, at one point she almost talks about needle exchanges and it lives up to the title being very addictive.

4. Turn Up The Radio 10/10 - In contrast to the previous track, despite heavy dance elements this is her best POP song in years. They boobed big time by not ensuring this was first single. Despite the dance pop vibe, this has some of her old 60s sunshine pop/Nuggets sound in there a la Beautiful Stranger which is a recurring theme in her work and this album!

It's very familiar and for some reason the verse melody is making me think a lot of "Sweet Child o' Mine", it does seem to have a similar theme in there about childhood and the world being tough as an adult which is one of pop's greatest and is very evocative, this is way beyond mindless dance pop. Several bits of the melody recall classic pop/rock songs and I'm not sure which ones but it stands out in its own right as a classic to add to that lineage.

5. Give Me All Your Luvin' 4/10 - :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: Alright to be fair this isn't "terrible", but it's bloody dull. Nothing worse than forced fun in a song that doesn't justify it. Sure enough as soon as it starts you can hear the tumbleweed. My least favourite part of it now is those drumrolls at the start before the actual Chant From Hell, ugh.. which signals this is clunker city.

6. Some Girls 7/10 - This is somewhat nondescript and not a fave, very loud, obnoxious and annoying with that siren intro. You'd never believe a 58 year old would have done this song. :lmao: Which of course makes it all the more fabulous. I love the half rap where she lambasts bitter girls with fake tits. The problem I think I've had with it is that iTunes put GMAYL in a different folder from the rest of the album (there is a God!) so the relentless assault from the first few tracks doesn't soften this abrasive track which GMAYL might do if I would play it. So 6 or 7 for this.

7. Superstar 6/10 - :lmao: :lmao: Yes obviously I lied about this being her best song of all time, this sticks out as the obvious clunker. Lyrically we're transported back to grade school/American Life but even so has some nice stuff about Brando etc even if repeated. Thing is though, this has a very very strong melody so it's difficult to write off completely, it really sticks.

8. I Don't Give A 7/10 - OMG it's the new American Life. Only good! And palatable if not relatable. This one's very inventive, love the choir sound. And this is the most post-modern song eva - with references to Wi-Fi passwords and twatter. Minaj is still an annoying little twerp but she's put to good use here.

9. I'm A Sinner 8/10 - The BS beat here (can't he vary it or disguise it better at least?) is unfortunate and disappointing, as this is another great track.

10. Love Spent 9/10 - This one is kind of similar to the previous I Don't Give A Fvck and I'm A Sinner but is easily the pick of the bunch and one of the best of the album. It's all about THAT spaghetti western guitar which is genius and gives this hooky song the hook among hooks. The references to that Mockney twat are plain to see with the compelling and clever lyrical content.

11. Masterpiece 5/10 - I can't dismiss this completely as technically it's fine, but it just doesn't do anything for me at all. It's so cold and distant which is the point of course but no pathos here really.

12. Falling Free 10/10 - This is glorious, her best album closer since Mer Girl which it's not far removed from in its structural weirdness and off the wall feel. Falls into the tradition of all her serious album closers since at least American Life but I haven't really loved any of those, last one I liked was Gone. This is the missing puzzle piece of the album and exactly what it needed, if she's going to do a ballad it has to count and this gives the album some balance which otherwise would be a fantastic hedonistic but somewhat hollow party album, this adds the depth. :clap:

13. Beautiful Killer 8/10 - Excellent, this stands as more than just filler and like the others could easily slot in disc 1. The opening riff is somewhat familiar.

14. I Fucked Up 9/10 - Standout! As someone who's tired of M's over reliance on swear words which can make her look a bit dim and inarticulate at times, and one who especially finds the use of swearing in music tired and distracting this is an absolute revelation. Though if Madonna used the "cunt" rather than "fuck" word all the time she would have won my heart - think how much better ILNY would be if she said "then you can cunt off!" :wow:

Anyway, I love the fast bits in this surprising ballad, which really work, again reminiscent of other stuff.

15. B-Day Song 8/10 - Madonna does Britney does Cherilyn - the beat goes on! Again more 60s inflected pop a la BS after 3 other songs in this vein with Sinner, Radio and GMAYL. I love how celebratory this is, totally non bitter - though it almost sounds like she's singing "I'm a happy gurl" through gritted teeth and protesting a little too much. :demonic: This is extremely clever though and difficult to dislike, not a middle finger to the haters at all but it will no doubt annoy them even more which makes it even more hilarious.

16. Best Friend 9/10 - Vadge takes a chainsaw to previous collaborator Cuntina Timberbitch's "My Love" and Timbaland/50 Cent's "Ayo Technology" for this sad/bitter Ritchie diatribe, the most fascinating and raw lyrically of the album, given an urgency by that driving music. Great ending.

1. Girl Gone Wild 9/10 - Was not sure on this one at all at first but it's the ultimate grower. As someone here said very rave, and I just can't resist those heavy Sash!-style Eurodance chords getting deeper and deeper each time. This is the first Madonna single that actually sounds like a remix (OK there's its lesser predecessor Celebration but whatevs).

2. Gang Bang 9/10 - Cool as fuck! Quite unlike anything she's done of course and I love the comparison to Patti Smith.

3. I'm Addicted 10/10 - It doesn't get any better than this, though very reminiscent of past rave/trance tracks (it essentially uses Bobby Orlando as a template who modified previous touchstone LaDonna/Moroder with a harder variant on IFL), this is her deepest dance track ever.

Bye bye Get Together, you were just dance lite with clean pop production compared to this. Gotta love the drug references, at one point she almost talks about needle exchanges and it lives up to the title being very addictive.

4. Turn Up The Radio 10/10 - In contrast to the previous track, despite heavy dance elements this is her best POP song in years. They boobed big time by not ensuring this was first single. Despite the dance pop vibe, this has some of her old 60s sunshine pop/Nuggets sound in there a la Beautiful Stranger which is a recurring theme in her work and this album!

It's very familiar and for some reason the verse melody is making me think a lot of "Sweet Child o' Mine", it does seem to have a similar theme in there about childhood and the world being tough as an adult which is one of pop's greatest and is very evocative, this is way beyond mindless dance pop. Several bits of the melody recall classic pop/rock songs and I'm not sure which ones but it stands out in its own right as a classic to add to that lineage.

5. Give Me All Your Luvin' 4/10 - :lmao::lmao: :lmao: Alright to be fair this isn't "terrible", but it's bloody dull. Nothing worse than forced fun in a song that doesn't justify it. Sure enough as soon as it starts you can hear the tumbleweed. My least favourite part of it now is those drumrolls at the start before the actual Chant From Hell, ugh.. which signals this is clunker city.

6. Some Girls 7/10 - This is somewhat nondescript and not a fave, very loud, obnoxious and annoying with that siren intro. You'd never believe a 58 year old would have done this song. :lmao: Which of course makes it all the more fabulous. I love the half rap where she lambasts bitter girls with fake tits. The problem I think I've had with it is that iTunes put GMAYL in a different folder from the rest of the album (there is a God!) so the relentless assault from the first few tracks doesn't soften this abrasive track which GMAYL might do if I would play it. So 6 or 7 for this.

7. Superstar 6/10 - :lmao::lmao: Yes obviously I lied about this being her best song of all time, this sticks out as the obvious clunker. Lyrically we're transported back to grade school/American Life but even so has some nice stuff about Brando etc even if repeated. Thing is though, this has a very very strong melody so it's difficult to write off completely, it really sticks.

8. I Don't Give A 7/10 - OMG it's the new American Life. Only good! And palatable if not relatable. This one's very inventive, love the choir sound. And this is the most post-modern song eva - with references to Wi-Fi passwords and twatter. Minaj is still an annoying little twerp but she's put to good use here.

9. I'm A Sinner 8/10 - The BS beat here (can't he vary it or disguise it better at least?) is unfortunate and disappointing, as this is another great track.

10. Love Spent 9/10 - This one is kind of similar to the previous I Don't Give A Fvck and I'm A Sinner but is easily the pick of the bunch and one of the best of the album. It's all about THAT spaghetti western guitar which is genius and gives this hooky song the hook among hooks. The references to that Mockney twat are plain to see with the compelling and clever lyrical content.

11. Masterpiece 5/10 - I can't dismiss this completely as technically it's fine, but it just doesn't do anything for me at all. It's so cold and distant which is the point of course but no pathos here really.

12. Falling Free 10/10 - This is glorious, her best album closer since Mer Girl which it's not far removed from in its structural weirdness and off the wall feel. Falls into the tradition of all her serious album closers since at least American Life but I haven't really loved any of those, last one I liked was Gone. This is the missing puzzle piece of the album and exactly what it needed, if she's going to do a ballad it has to count and this gives the album some balance which otherwise would be a fantastic hedonistic but somewhat hollow party album, this adds the depth. :clap:

13. Beautiful Killer 8/10 - Excellent, this stands as more than just filler and like the others could easily slot in disc 1. The opening riff is somewhat familiar.

14. I Fucked Up 9/10 - Standout! As someone who's tired of M's over reliance on swear words which can make her look a bit dim and inarticulate at times, and one who especially finds the use of swearing in music tired and distracting this is an absolute revelation. Though if Madonna used the "cunt" rather than "fuck" word all the time she would have won my heart - think how much better ILNY would be if she said "then you can cunt off!" :wow:

Anyway, I love the fast bits in this surprising ballad, which really work, again reminiscent of other stuff.

15. B-Day Song 8/10 - Madonna does Britney does Cherilyn - the beat goes on! Again more 60s inflected pop a la BS after 3 other songs in this vein with Sinner, Radio and GMAYL. I love how celebratory this is, totally non bitter - though it almost sounds like she's singing "I'm a happy gurl" through gritted teeth and protesting a little too much. :demonic: This is extremely clever though and difficult to dislike, not a middle finger to the haters at all but it will no doubt annoy them even more which makes it even more hilarious.

16. Best Friend 9/10 - Vadge takes a chainsaw to previous collaborator Cuntina Timberbitch's "My Love" and Timbaland/50 Cent's "Ayo Technology" for this sad/bitter Ritchie diatribe, the most fascinating and raw lyrically of the album, given an urgency by that driving music. Great ending.

I love this review and agree on pretty much everything, especially GMAYL. Those opening drums are the worst, I have to remind myself there's a great little song coming up to keep from skipping.

Guest SuperPop

GOD this album is AMAZING :bow::bow:

I can't stop listening to it :wow:

Love all songs except GAYL and Bday Song which are hideous

^ I can kind of forgive Bday Song because it's a bonus track and is obviously intended to be silly and fun. I think "Superstar" and GGW are the only other songs I skip at this point.

I like bday song actually. the beginning beat is so cute. I love how her music is always so free of pretense. and lola's voice in superstar "woooohooooowoooo" is sweet. she kinda reminds me of early 80s madonna :inlove:

I'm a ranking type of guy.... so here goes.

Gang Bang - 10/10

I'm a Sinner - 9/10

I'm Addicted - 9/10

Beautiful Killer - 9/10

Masterpiece - 8/10

Love Spent - 8/10

Some Girls - 8/10

B-Day Song - 8/10

Turn Up the Radio - 7/10

Superstar - 7/10

Falling Free - 7/10

Girl Gone Wild - 7/10

I Fucked Up - 6/10

I Don't Give A - 6/10

Give Me All Your Luvin' - 6/10

Best Friend - 4/10

Updated ranking:

I'm Addicted - 10/10 +1

Gang Bang - 10/10

I'm a Sinner - 9/10

Beautiful Killer - 9/10

Falling Free - 9/10 +2

Masterpiece - 8/10

Love Spent - 8/10

Some Girls - 8/10

Girl Gone Wild - 8/10 +1

I Don't Give A - 8/10 +2

I Fucked Up - 7/10 +1

B-Day Song - 7/10 -1

Superstar - 7/10

Give Me All Your Luvin' - 6/10

Turn Up the Radio - 6/10 -1

Best Friend - 2/10 -2

Best Friend is the worst song she has released since X-Static Process. :gross:

Guest I'llTeachYouHowTo...

the thing i've noticed with MDNA is that it's continuing to grow on me. even though i loved it almost immediately, most albums that i'm obsessed with instantly usually begin to lose my interest after a bit, and i grow bored with it, but i'm finding new things i love on this album every day. even the songs i didn't rate as high initially are on repeat now. this really is one of her best albums. :wow:

Godly

Love Spent - Wow. Just wow. This one stands out as the best song from the album. It just drips with in the evidence of it's brilliance. It hits on all cylinders. The lyrics are great, her voice is orgasmic, the music soars with all the different sounds thrown in, ugh, I could go on and on.

Falling Free - In a word: beautiful. It shows M can write deep lyrics when she wants to, and her voice is as spectacular as ever. Mer Girl part 2? "I ran to the forest, I ran to the trees.......I'm falling free"

Masterpiece - As the title suggests, it's a masterpiece. A modern day La Isla Bonita. I love that she won a Golden Globe for it too. Elton's face was priceless.

Great

I'm a Sinner - I really love the vocal melody here. Her higher octaves at the end of the song make me wet, and the quick guitar break perfectly fits.

I Fucked Up - After all the Guy-bashing on the previous songs, M pulls a complete 180 and puts the blame on herself. Again, another amazing vocal melody, background strings sound gorgeous, and acoustic guitar makes me love this song more every time I hear it.

Girl Gone Wild - Her best single since "Music" IMO. Believe it or not, I didn't quite like it at first, but as I kept listening to it, it grew on me and I can't listen to it without moving. I always say if a song makes you move, it's good.

I'm Addicted - Another song that made a comeback for me. I didn't digest it well at first, and I really don't know wtf I was on to not like it, but damn, it's such a great one. It just aches to be played live.

Good

The first 3/4 of Gang Bang - Strange beats, odd vocal delivery...and I mean that in a good way. I love the little keyboard riff after she says "shot my lover in the head". It reminds me of No Doubt. I think it would sound even better live.

Beautiful Killer - An okay song that I can't listen to without wanting to hear Die Another Day. Perhaps a live mashup like she did with Vogue ala 4 Minutes?

I Don't Give A - What a good pick-yourself-up song. The opening "Wake up ex-wife, this is your life" line is pretty clever, and I love the climactic end with the choir and strings.

Turn Up the Radio - Just a tad too generic pop for me. I don't like the lyrics too much, but it is pretty catchy. Her voice is again in superb form here. Sounds like the kind of song to have playing in your car as you drive down to the beach.

Meh

Give Me All Your Luvin - I've tried to like it, I really have, but it just has too many things in it that I DON'T like. Right off the bat, the "L-U-V" chants are ridiculous, the music sounds bland, I dislike Nicki Minaj and MIA's appearances, and it's just overall a weak single. Maybe I'll like it better live.

Some Girls - It goes nowhere for me. The music sounds like a weird police siren and the melodies are odd in a bad way. Skip this one every time.

Superstar - *face palm* "Ooh la la". No. More generic pop, with lyrics that make me cringe. She can do a lot better than this. It's too bubblegum.

Best Friend - This one sounds like it belongs on Hard Candy and that's not a good thing. Just not a fan of that kind of music. Music sounds like a Sega game.

Lolwut

The last portion of Gang Bang - To me, it derails the song. It hurts my ears. Over and over and over and over and over.

B-Song - -___________________________________________________________-;

So, all in all, there are some AMAZING songs on this album, some great ones, some okay ones, and ones that I will never listen to. I believe the good certainly outweigh the bad, and these days, that's hard to come by on an album. Such a welcome return after the sour taste left in my mouth by Hard Candy.

I'm Addicted - Another song that made a comeback for me. I didn't digest it well at first, and I really don't know wtf I was on to not like it, but damn, it's such a great one. It just aches to be played live.

Meh

Give Me All Your Luvin - I've tried to like it, I really have, but it just has too many things in it that I DON'T like. Right off the bat, the "L-U-V" chants are ridiculous, the music sounds bland, I dislike Nicki Minaj and MIA's appearances, and it's just overall a weak single. Maybe I'll like it better live.

Best Friend - This one sounds like it belongs on Hard Candy and that's not a good thing. Just not a fan of that kind of music. Music sounds like a Sega game.

So, all in all, there are some AMAZING songs on this album, some great ones, some okay ones, and ones that I will never listen to. I believe the good certainly outweigh the bad, and these days, that's hard to come by on an album. Such a welcome return after the sour taste left in my mouth by Hard Candy.

I agree with everything quoted! Exactly my feelings. Especially the I'm Addicted and GMAYL review. :thumbsup:

Guest Coked Up Baby Boy

11. Masterpiece 5/10

15. B-Day Song 8/10

You REPULSE me in so many ways right now.

You're off my list for this week.

Guest Coked Up Baby Boy

01. Girl Gone Wild 05/10

02. Gang Bang 05/10

03. I'm Addicted 03/10

04. Turn Up the Radio 03/10

05. Give Me All Your Luvin' 07/10

06. Some Girls 07/10

07. Superstar 05/10

08. I Don't Give A 02/10

09. I'm a Sinner 03/10

10. Love Spent 04/10

11. Masterpiece 05/10

12. Falling Free 05/10

13. Beautiful Killer 03/10

14. I Fucked Up 02/10

15. B-Day Song 02/10

16. Best Friend 02/10

I give all other madonna albums an average of 8-10 out of 10.

You are vile PUTRID scum and i hope to hear news of your death soon.