Review/Rate/Rank MDNA

Guest Xanthium

Guest Xanthium

So I tried to wait for Beautiful Killer and Best Friend to leak before listening to the album but I just couldn't hold out any longer. Since I had all the tracks from the album proper I listened to it and...I didn't like it :( I felt immediately cold to it. WTF?! Why wasn't I flipping out like crazy?! Why did I feel like there was a wall between me and the music?! I honestly think that since Madonna and her music means so much to me and has for the past 25 years of my life that my expectations can be way too high. I get nervous, excited, fearful etc whenever a new Madonna album rolls around. Will the music move me the way her music has in the past or will I be turned off (a very rare occurrence but it has happened. I'm looking at YOU "American Life"). Anyways, I was a bit pissed after my first listening session so I decided to calm the fuck down, relax all my sphincter muscles and just let the music come to me instead of the other way around. Well it worked! The second time I listened to the album it all pretty much fell into place and this is how I feel (as of now) about the songs:

1) Girl Gone Wild - Ok, I hated this shit at first but it's grown on me. Watching those hysterical AND fabulous dance videos (those kids sure can move DAMN!) really helped me see the fun-ness of the song. Though it will still be replaced by the much superior Justin Cognito remix on my own MDNA playlist C+

2) Gang Bang - Amazing beat, the kind that blows out your speakers. Yet there's no melody :( Some of the wording is odd (especially the one eyed jack line) and the song kinda devolves into something comically cheesy and OTT but I have a feeling it's a grower. B+

3) I'm Addicted - OMG this is FABULOUS. A+

4) Turn Up The Radio - WHY WASN'T THIS THE FIRST SINGLE YOU STUPID COW?!?! A

5) Give Me All Your Luvin' - Not bad, not great. Will be relegated to B-Side status once I determine the track listing for my own MDNA playlist. B

6) Some Girls - OMFG this song is AMAZING. I seriously think I dislocated something dancing to this in my bedroom. A+

7) Superstar - Great production, amazing melody and chorus, HORRIBLE lyrics. But definitely one of those amazing cheesy pop songs that are so much fun and catchy that you really don't give a fuck about the shit lyrics. B+

8) I Don't Give A - OMFG it's like if American Life and Bedtime Stories fucked in a back alley and conceived a baby. Madonna doing hip hop the right way! Nicki's rap is FIRE and the ending makes my pussy pop. A+

9) I'm A Sinner - GODDAMN I love this song! The religious themes are a bit 'been there, done that' but she's a Catholic girl forever and always (despite the Kablahblahblah) so it's okay. This song rocks. A+

10) Love Spent - This song is INCREDIBLE. And it's like TWO INCREDIBLE SONGS IN ONE. This is my favorite song on the album and it already blasting it's way to my Top 10 Madonna songs list. A FUCKING +

11) Masterpiece - Definitely sticks out on this album but it's always been a lovely song so I don't mind. Really lovely chorus. B+

12) Falling Free - Now this song I can't really properly review because my mp3 was shitty. It didn't really have a melody and it sounded like Madonna channelling Enya/Tori Amos/Loreena McKinnett (this is a good thing). I will save a grade for this later when I can hear it in HQ and properly assess it. I'm sure it's gonna be really good.

Ok, so overall the album is very eclectic and the single choices ARE ALL WRONG. STUPID BLOODY IDIOTS. Oh well, too late :(

Album gets an A.

Now on to the B-Sides:

Beautiful Killer and Best Friend are exempt for now because they haven't leaked.

1) I Fucked Up - AMAZEBALLS. A+

2) B-Day Song - WHAT IS THIS SHIT?! Just awful. God bless you M.I.A. for giving the middle finger because if you hadn't this bullshit would be on the album proper and my beautiful Love Spent would've be DENIED :(D

Top 5 MDNA FAVORITES:

1) Love Spent

2) Some Girls

3) I'm A Sinner

4) I'm Addicted

5) Turn Up The Radio

My choices for singles -

1st single - Turn Up The Radio

2nd single - Love Spent

3rd single - I'm Addicted

4th single - Some Girls

Ok, now it's your turn!

MDNA Review

After several days of listening to MDNA, and only MDNA, I've finally gotten off fawning over it and giving a more concrete review of this album. In essence, the queen proves that she will be there through the endless years to show us how pop should really be done.

1) Girl Gone Wild

This is easily the most generic song on the album, but fret not, for this song is absolutely unrepresentative of this album. The starting of this song, where she confesses to god, signals that bitchdonna is back to kick some asses. In the music video, she truly is a girl gone wild, working the chains, and the guys of course, much like she did back in the early 90s. Certain little monsters who are either severely lacking in pop culture knowledge or are just pure stubborn claim that this video is a rip off of Mother Monster's Alejandro. When you actually do some homework on Youtube, or if you are an older monster, simply just by living through the 80s and early 90s, you should know that Alejandro is a rip off of multiple Madonna videos, including Express Yourself, Vogue, Justify My Love, Erotica and Human Nature. What Madonna "ripped off" Lady Gaga is what Lady Gaga ripped off Madonna. In other words, Madonna is referencing her earlier works. Now hide in your eggshell, squeeze back into your Mother Monster's slimy pussy and reflect upon your sins.

Rating: 4.5/5

2) Gang Bang

Probably the most eccentric song on the album, and possibly ranks as one of her best songs ever. The seemingly cowboy-like beats coupled with her vocals which gets fiercer by the verse, is refreshing and exhilirating, especially after the dubstep breakdown and the final chorus, where she seems to be having so much fun killing people. If I have to join her in hell, I would certainly do so.

Rating: 5/5

3) I'm Addicted

This song is sort of psychedelic, just as the title suggested. It's catchy, but certainly not generic. Thus, it's quite a surprise that Benny Benassi could produce this song, though I do think that The Demolition Crew probably is the mastermind. The defining point comes when Madonna solemnly declares that she needs to dance, before the dubstep drops in and she sucks us into her addictive world, chanting "M-D-M-A, M-D-N-A...". If the chant didn't get stuck in your mind, you probably have no soul.

4) Turn Up The Radio

Yet another "Hello" soundalike. But when sang by Madonna, it instantly becomes much more energetic than any of his previous works. Also, do not think Madonna simply took the song and sang it. She's definetely added her touch to the lyrics, as can be seen from certainly cheesy rhymes, such as "moth to a flame" and "playing this game".

5) Give Me All Your Luvin'

The weakest song of the entire standard edition. In this song, Madonna demands all our luvin'. If this song (or the Superbowl performance) doesn't convince you, this album should do otherwise.

Rating: 4/5

6) Some Girls

Hard to think this would be an Orbit produced song. There's nothing really special this song, other than consisting of so much vocal distortion.

7) Superstar

This song is sweet and catchy. If you don't think much of this song on the first try, you should repeat this song several times, for it's a grower. The scene that comes to my mind is Madonna strutting down a street before settling down on a bench in the park swaying and singing "ooh la la, you're my superstar" while twirling her hair. I would describe this as her new True Blue (the song). It really could put a smile on your face. However, I really couldn't figure out which part her daughter, Lourdes, sang on the song.

8) I Don't Give A

Quite a radical twist to the album, having a slight hip hop feel. Nicki Minaj easily fits into the song, as she steps back into her comfort zone and does what she does best. If there's any collaboration that Madonna has done best, it would be this. The lyrics, is of course another highlight of the song. Throughout the song she sings about how she doesn't a (fuck) about her life, while near the end, Nicki Minaj proclaims "that there's only one queen, and that's Madonna." How right. It's a heinous slap in the face of any pretenders to throne and whoever thought she was going to be a coy lamb about the clown show that's been going on for 3 years. The word "reductive" was a sign of what's to come.

9) I'm A Sinner

This song is reminiscent of 'Beautiful Stranger'. It's not exactly as catchy as the previous songs, and I don't really have much thoughts on this song except for it being simply, quite nice. That's all, now let's get on with the album.

Rating: 4/5

10) Love Spent

Another amazing song. My second favourite from this album. It starts off with a banjo, before turning out to be a more serious song. My favourite part though, comes after the next banjo special, where the ambience changed all of a sudden, and she burst into another chorus, which seemed to have so much more emotions, as if her life depended on it. On a sidenote, the accoustic version of this song is worth listening too.

11) Masterpiece

The Golden Globe winning song. The song which "doesn't stand a fucking chance" Fortunately, this track doesn't stick out like a sore thumb. Masterpiece was also the first sign that Madonna's "better" vocals are back. It acts as a great lead out to the next song too.

12) Falling Free

Is she trying to recreate 'Mer Girl'? It's been so long since we've heard her sing with such bare melody. Just because it's one of the few times Madonna does this, it's worth listening.

13) Beautiful Killer

Yet another song that reminds me of 'Beautiful Stranger'. I feel compelled to sing "I'm gonna wake up yes and no" (Die Another Day) against the first line though. It has that huge sense of familiarity on so many levels and is the best song on the deluxe part of the album, along with the next track.

14) I Fucked Up

In this song, Madonna (surprisingly) admits she did make mistakes during her marriage with Guy Ritchie. It's a beautiful ballad, and like several other songs on the album, halfway through this song, the entire mood changed into something more light and cheerful, as she thought of the happily ever after she could have if she didn't fuck up. This is without doubt, the most personal song on the album, and only William Orbit can squeeze it out of her.

15) B-Day Song

This song has an indie feel to it. It's simple and the vocals tend to be a little retro. M.I.A. easily blends into the song, as it should have been since it's so light and catchy. What would have been a stupid song turns out surprisingly delightful.

16) Best Friend

In my opinion, Best Friend is the worst track on the album. This song sounds like it came from Hard Candy. Not to be mistaken though, it's still manageable as a bonus track.

Rating: 3.5/5

17) Give Me All Your Luvin' (Party Rock Remix)

Nothing much to comment on this. I'm never really interested in remixes anyway.

Rating: 3.5/5

In her 4 years of absence, many have been eyeing the throne, but with MDNA, Madonna shows she's not about to give up the throne. Begging for it wouldn't get you anywhere either. This album will definetely rank up there with one of her best. She is still capable of creating a new peaks in her career, and anyone who speaks of her old age as a hindrance in their review is jealous, sexist and ageist. If you missed out her last pop revolution (Confessions On A Dance Floor), then listen to this album now.

MDNA (Standard Edition): 57/12 = 4.75

MDNA (Deluxe Edition): 78.5/17 = 4.62

Girl Gone Wild - B+

Gang Bang - A

I'm Addicted - A

Turn Up The Radio - C+

Give Me All Your Luvin' - B

Some Girls - A

Superstar - B

I Don't Give A - A+

I'm A Sinner - B+

Love Spent - B

Masterpiece - B

Falling Free - A+

Beautiful Killer - C+

I Fucked Up - B

BDay Song - C

Best Friend - A

If I picked the singles it'd go:

I Don't Give A

Falling Free

Girl Gone Wild

Gang Bang

Best Friend

:fag: Such a great album even the lower rated songs are only low when compared to the other tracks on here, on their own the all are amazing :inlove:

Guest FrozenEyes

I've only listened to it once, so I'll need some more spins before I can really know....BUT I WANT SOME HQ!!!!

No tracks that sound like shit except B-Day, but that was expected.

The biggest STANDOUT tracks for me were...

I'm Addicted

I Don't Give A

Falling Free

And there was a lot I liked about Gang Bang, but I thought it could benefit from a nice edit.

Can't wait to listen to the album some more, but I need some sleep!!!

Guest imsostupid

Girl Gone Wild - 8

Gang Bang - 9

I'm Addicted - 8

Turn up the Radio - 9

Give Me All your Luvin' - 6

Some Girls - 10 (what a surprise this was. Why wasn't this talked about more during the reviews?!)

Superstar - 7

I Don't Give A - 6 (although love the ending)

I'm A Sinner - 7

Love Spent - 10 (fucking fantastic)

Masterpiece - 8

Falling Free - 6

Beautiful Killer - 8 (based on the preview)

I Fucked Up - 9

B-Day Song - 5

Best Friend - 6 (based on the preview)

Girl Gone Wild - 1/5

Gang Bang - 5/5

I'm Addicted - 4/5

Turn Up the Radio - 4.5/5

GMAYL - 3.5/5

Superstar - 3/5

I Don't Give A - 4/5

I'm a Sinner - 4.5/5

Love Spent 6/5

Masterpiece - 3.5/5

Falling Free - 3.5/5

B-day Song - 4/5

I Fucked Up - 1.5/5

GIRL GONE WILD - 10/10

GANG BANG - 11/10

I'M ADDICTED - 11/10

TURN UP THE RADIO - 11/10

GIVE ME ALL YOUR LUVIN' - 9/10

SOME GIRLS - 10/10

SUPERSTAR - 9/10

I DON'T GIVE A - 10/10

I'M A SINNER - 10/10

LOVE SPENT - 13/10

MASTERPIECE - 10/10

FALLING FREE - 11/10

I FUCKED UP - 10/10

BDAY SONG - 9/10

GIVE ME ALL YOUR LUVIN' (PARTY ROCK REMIX) - 9/10

Here it COMES

When I hear them 808 DRUMS

GGW 7/10

GANG BANG 10/10

I'M ADDICTED 11/10

SOME GIRLS 8/10

I DON'T GIVE A 8/10

TURN UP THE RADIO 10/10

LOVE SPENT 10/10

I'M A SINNER 7/10

FALLING FREE 9/10

BDAY SONG 8/10

I FUCKED UP 5/10

GAYL 7/10

Girl Gone Wild - 4.2/5

Gang Bang - 4.5/5

I'm Addicted - 5/5

Turn Up the Radio - 4.3/5

GMAYL - 3.8/5

Superstar - 4.1/5

I Don't Give A - 5/5

I'm a Sinner - 4.9/5

Love Spent 4.5/5

Masterpiece - 3.8/5

Falling Free - 4.8/5

I Fucked Up - 3.9/5

The Selected Rankings of MDNA
    Give Me All Your Lovin'—Prefer the demo. Madonna's vocal performance and no guests. It also includes the M-A-D don't make me line removed to make space for the guests. The final mastered version kills all the dynamics of the track to make it sound like flat - compressed - noise. This is the real reason nobody can stand to listen to this one. The video did this track favors.
    I Don't Give A'—No Words!! Very much an uptempo highlight.
    Falling Free—Greater than all of Orbit's previous collaborations with Madonna.
    Love Spent—The truly left/odd ball Mirwais-ish track of the bunch and I love it!!
    B-Day Song—Loved it from the preview and love it now!!

All the other tracks my opinion of them are subject to change. The ones that made the list are my babies.

Girl Gone Wild - 6/10

Gang Bang - 10/10

I'm Addicted - 8/10

Turn Up the Radio - 7/10

GMAYL - 8/10

Some Girls 8/10

Superstar - 8/10

I Don't Give A - 10/10

I'm a Sinner - 7/10

Love Spent 8/10

Masterpiece - 8/10

Falling Free - 9/10

I Fucked Up - 8/10

Top 5 MDNA *NEW* FAVORITES (doesn't include singles or Masterpiece):

1) Some Girls

2) Superstar

3) B'Day Song

4) I Fucked Up

5) I Don't Give A F.

My choices for singles -

1st single (2011) - Masterpiece

2nd single (USA only) - GMAYL

2nd single (Europe only) - Girl Gone Wild

3rd single (Worldwide) - Turn Up The Radio

4th single (Worldwide) - Im a Sinner

5th single (UK only) - Falling Free

5th single (Rest of the world) - double A-side: Superstar/I Don't Give A F.

Guest ditaluver

ok here I go. I still need to hear Best Friend in full...but in the meantime

Girl Gone Wild - 8/10

Gang Bang - 9/10

I'm Addicted - 10/10

Turn Up the Radio - 9/10

GMAYL - 7/10

Some Girls 9/10

Superstar - 8/10

I Don't Give A - 9/10

I'm a Sinner - 10/10

Love Spent 10/10

Masterpiece - 8/10

Falling Free - 10/10

Beautiful Killer - 10/10

I Fucked Up - 9/10

B-Day Song - 9/10

My single choices:

TUTR

LS

IAS

IA

GB

At the moment, after 10 rounds.

Girl Gone Wild - 8

Gang Bang - 10

I'm Addicted - 9

Turn up the Radio - 9

Give Me All your Luvin' - 7

Some Girls - 8

Superstar - 8

I Don't Give A - 8

I'm A Sinner - 10

Love Spent - 10

Masterpiece - 9

Falling Free - 10

Beautiful Killer - 7

I Fucked Up - 7

B-Day Song - 7

Best Friend - 7

Singles Choices:

US

1. Masterpiece (W/E)
  2. GMAYL (of course for superbowl)
  3. I'm Addicted (the chanting!)
  4. Gang Bang
  5. Turn Up The Radio
  6. Love Spent/Falling Free

Outside US

1. Turn Up The Radio/GGW
  2. I'm Addicted
  3. Love Spent/Falling Free
  4. Gang Bang
  5. Masterpiece (W/E)

1. Girls Gone Wild - 7/10

2. Gang Bang - 8/10

3. I'm Addicted - 9/10

4. Turn Up The Radio - 9/10

5. Give Me All Your Luvin - 7/10

6. Some Girls - 8/10

7. I Don't Give A - 6/10

8. I'm A Sinner - 8/10

9. Love Spent - 9/10 (I would have gave it a 10 if the entire song was more akin to the latter half)

10. Masterpiece - 8/10

11. Falling Free - 8/10

12. I Fucked Up - 6/10

13. B-Day Song - 7/10

Still have heard "Superstar" or "Beautiful Killer" completely.

Had I made the decision, I would have released these as singles:

1. Turn Up The Radio

2. I'm a Sinner

3. Gang Bang

4. Love Spent

5. I'm Addicted

1. Girls Gone Wild 7/10

2. Gang Bang 9/10

3. I'm Addicted 9/10

4. Turn Up The Radio 9/10

5. Give Me All Your Luvin 5/10

6. Some Girls 7/10

7. I Don't Give A 8/10

8. I'm A Sinner 9/10

9. Love Spent 10/10

10. Masterpiece 8/10

11. Falling Free 10/10

12. I Fucked Up 5/10

13. B-Day Song 7/10

14. Superstar 8/10

I'd say the album is a solid A- if I want to be "critical." It's clear that this era will filled with lots of fun. I hope theirs major remixes done for each album song, not just singles. Beautiful Killer sounds like its going to be amazing and we still have yet to hear Best Friend and the unheard but undoubtedly amazing Love Spent (acoustic).

Girl Gone Wild - 9 (i have a feeling a lot of people's negative opinions on this may change after the video debuts tonight)

Gang Bang - 10

I'm Addicted - 10

Turn up the Radio - 9

Give Me All your Luvin' - 7

Some Girls - 8

Superstar - 7

I Don't Give A - 8

I'm A Sinner - 7

Love Spent - 10

Masterpiece - 5 (should have been off standard edition imo)

Falling Free - 7

Beautiful Killer - 7 (based on the preview)

I Fucked Up - 8 (should've traded places with masterpiece on standard edition)

B-Day Song - 6

Best Friend - 6 (based on the preview)

Give me all your luvin' *LMFAO RMX* - 3 (this is where love spent acoustic should be and this lame rmx should've been the itunes exclusive bonus lol)

Im exhausted as I heard this for the first time in a 3-hour car ride home, but thus far:

1. Girls Gone Wild - 7/10. Not as bad as everyone made it out to be, but not exactly the strongest track out there, either.

2. Gang Bang - 10/10. Pure perfection. It literally just left me breathless.

3. I'm Addicted - 9/10. A rewrite, re-imagining of "Impressive Instant," except much better.

4. Turn Up The Radio - 7/10. It's cute, but not earth-shattering.

5. Girls Gone Wild - 7/10. Sounds MUCH better in context with the album.

6. Some Girls - 6/10. Very filler to me. May grow but seems very tedious at the moment.

7. Superstar - NO RATING (based on quality, will wait for a better copy)

8. I Don't Give A - 7/10. Not bad, very fierce. But feels incomplete.

9. I'm A Sinner - 9/10. I fucking love this. And it's the best vocal she's had since What it Feels Like For a Girl.

10. Love Spent - NO RATING (i need to be in a quiet room alone listening to this, not speeding down a highway. It's complex)

11. Masterpiece - 8/10. I still love this, even though it sounds out of context on the album.

12. Falline Free - NO RATING (too much road noise to keep up with it, plus i'll wait for better quality)

14. I Fucked Up - 7/10. It's okay.

15. B-Day Song - 9/10. I really love the breezy 60s pop sound she went for on this one.

For right now, my highlights: "Gang Bang," "I'm Addicted," "I'm a Sinner" and "BDay Song." Once the full thing leaks in perfect quality, i'll blast it on my headphones and give it a PROPER review.

Guest sasca1971

I am surprised how much I like all the songs. I wouldn't have thought that would be the case initially. Even the songs I like the least - I like more than any of the songs on Hard Candy - hahaha or even much of Confessions.

1. GGW 7 great but not amazing - not a new sound and I like it when she's more fresh.

2. GB 7 honestly not my cup o' tea. I like the concept more than the execution. too gimmicky for me. If it wasn't for the great concept - I'd rate it lower. hehe

3. IA 9.7 love it's intensity

4. TUTR 9.5 love the breezy whimsical quality and great music

5. GMAYL 5 just ok

6. SG 9 great early duran duran meets depeche mode sound. I'm a child of the 80s after all

7. S 8.5 much better in its entirety than the snippet. turned out to be great after all

8. IDGA 9.5 superb start to finish and strangely enough it's not normally my type of music - but execution was spot on. Great level of unpredicability

9. IAS 8.5 great fun 60s kinda feel

10. LS 10 since it's truly the best it's the only one i give a perfect 10 to

11. M 9 why all the hate? if this was the SOLE ballad here - it would be great on it's own - it's just that MDNA is full of so many great songs

12. FF 9.5 I actually don't like this song too much but i rate it high because i like the concept, lyrics, her amazing vocals. Good job - even if i can't listen to it repeatedly like the others.

13. BK 8 nice and fun.

14. IFU 9.9 I like this one almost as much as FF. I don't know why i'm almost alone in this. what gives y'all?

15. BS 9 so much hate on this one too. I'm a big 60s fan so maybe that's why i like it. Tho my sis doesn't and she's older than me. She thinks it's childish. I like it. I think MIA does a great job on it.

If I were the man in charge or the "powers that be" I would have released these singles:

1. TUTR - great initial exposure

2. IDGA - Nicki on the second single would probably have given it airplay

3. Love Spent - it could happen hehe.

4. I'm Addicted - since radio won't play more than the first one or two songs anyway - this would go straight to clubs anyway - so it's perfect 4th

5. Some Girls - same reason as above

It seems like I will be the first person to piss on everyone's parade. I'm very happy most of you seem to love it, but it's not my cup of tea.

My biggest issue with the entire record are THE LYRICS. I didn't bother with the bonus tracks yet.

Girl Gone Wild - 2/10

Benassi throwaway. Easily her worst single and lead track in the history of her career. Half-assed vocals.

Gang Bang - 5/10

This could have been amazing. The spoken vocal is fairly intriguing. In fact I really enjoy the sampling and production. However that last minute or so is such poorly executed camp that I don't even know where to begin.

I'm Addicted - 5/10

This isn't terrible. Uninspired lyrics. Sort of reminds me of a William Orbit track that was probably dusted off from the Music era.

Turn Up The Radio - 7/10

Pleasant vocal delivery. This is basically Solveig-by-the-Numbers. This sounds practically identical to "Hello". I can see this becoming a single.

Give Me All Your Luvin' - 6/10

We all know this. The "pre-chorus" or whatever is quite good. Still sounds better suited for Katy Perry.

Some Girls - 2/10

This is a fucking mess. Some interesting production bits bump this up a point.

Superstar - 3/10

Solveig sounding though he had nothing to do with this. Very summery, could be good if it had a complete re-write. What's up with these fucking lyrics?? It sounds like she brought this to her Mercy's pre-school and they wrote it as a class during a history lesson.

I Don't Give A - 3/10

Fairly shit. Almost ridiculous enough that it could work but it doesn't. The production and the chamber choir are a good idea but again it would need a complete re-write to be tolerable. Nicki's rap in the middle works very well, it should have been given to her.

I'm A Sinner - 6/10

A bit retro. The instrumentation during the verses reminds me of "Beautiful Stranger"/"Amazing". Not awful, not good.

Love Spent - 8/10

Now we finally have a track that is worth repeated listens. The reminds me of something that she would have done during Music if it weren't for the lyrics echoing the recent divorce. This track is the most "Madonna" of the bunch if that makes sense.

Masterpiece - 7/10

Pleasant.

Falling Free - 9/10

Her best recorded vocal since the Ray of Light years that I can recall. Parts of this remind me of something Imogen Heap would record. The only song that I cannot fault in the lyric department. Mature. If the whole record went down this route it would have been amazing.

Of course I will but it to support her, and give the HQ version a spin to form a solid opinion. I'm still looking forward to the tour very much but as a whole this album offers me nothing to want to revisit on a regular basis bar the last three tracks.

It seems like I will be the first person to piss on everyone's parade. I'm very happy most of you seem to love it, but it's not my cup of tea.

My biggest issue with the entire record are THE LYRICS. I didn't bother with the bonus tracks yet.

Girl Gone Wild - 2/10

Benassi throwaway. Easily her worst single and lead track in the history of her career. Half-assed vocals.

Gang Bang - 5/10

This could have been amazing. The spoken vocal is fairly intriguing. In fact I really enjoy the sampling and production. However that last minute or so is such poorly executed camp that I don't even know where to begin.

I'm Addicted - 5/10

This isn't terrible. Uninspired lyrics. Sort of reminds me of a William Orbit track that was probably dusted off from the Music era.

Turn Up The Radio - 7/10

Pleasant vocal delivery. This is basically Solveig-by-the-Numbers. This sounds practically identical to "Hello". I can see this becoming a single.

We all know this. The "pre-chorus" or whatever is quite good. Still sounds better suited for Katy Perry.

Some Girls - 2/10

Superstar - 3/10

Solveig sounding though he had nothing to do with this. Very summery, could be good if it had a complete re-write. What's up with these fucking lyrics?? It sounds like she brought this to her Mercy's pre-school and they wrote it as a class during a history lesson.

I Don't Give A - 3/10

Fairly shit. Almost ridiculous enough that it could work but it doesn't. The production and the chamber choir are a good idea but again it would need a complete re-write to be tolerable. Nicki's rap in the middle works very well, it should have been given to her.

I'm A Sinner - 6/10

A bit retro. The instrumentation during the verses reminds me of "Beautiful Stranger"/"Amazing". Not awful, not good.

Love Spent - 8/10

Now we finally have a track that is worth repeated listens. The reminds me of something that she would have done during Music if it weren't for the lyrics echoing the recent divorce. This track is the most "Madonna" of the bunch if that makes sense.

Masterpiece - 7/10

Pleasant.

Falling Free - 9/10

Her best recorded vocal since the Ray of Light years that I can recall. Parts of this remind me of something Imogen Heap would record. The only song that I cannot fault in the lyric department. Mature. If the whole record went down this route it would have been amazing.

Of course I will but it to support her, and give the HQ version a spin to form a solid opinion. I'm still looking forward to the tour very much but as a whole this album offers me nothing to want to revisit on a regular basis bar the last three tracks.

:rotfl:

Girl Gone Wild - 2/10

Gang Bang - 5/10

I'm Addicted - 5/10

Turn Up The Radio - 7/10

Some Girls - 2/10

Superstar - 3/10

I Don't Give A - 3/10

I'm A Sinner - 6/10

Love Spent - 8/10

Masterpiece - 7/10

Pleasant.

Falling Free - 9/10

Madonna's lyrics never mattered. It was the emotions the final result ignited in me is what mattered. I can't think of a single artist that I appreciate where their lyrics matter most?—I'm not a completely shallow person I love quality lyrics since I write poetry.

After endless spins over the last 24 hours, I'm settling on 3.5/5, which is basically what I expected. Madonna has never put out a bad album. All of them have been above average and MDNA is no exception. It definitely ranks toward the bottom though. Not sure if it's above LAV and/or HC, but I'm sure it will over time. My individual song rankings would be:

Girl Gone Wild (3/5)

Gang Bang (4/5) I can see myself getting tired of this one though

I'm Addicted (4/5)

Turn Up the Radio (3.5/5) Obvious single, but it's probably too late

Give Me All Your Luvin' (2.5/5) I keep skipping it and probably always will

Some Girls (3.5/5)

I Don't Give A (3.5/5)

Superstar (3/5)

I'm a Sinner (3.5/5) This is a grower

Love Spent (4/5)

Masterpiece (3 or 3.5/5)

Falling Free (3.5/5) Pretty but something keeps it from being a favorite

I like Fucked Up, but B-Day Song is total filler. Beautiful Killer sounds like filler too. Eager to hear the full Best Friend though!

The lyrics are indeed the biggest problem throughout. There are some exceptions, but my guess is that those were the songs written by others first and then she retooled them. I do think "I Don't Give A" is good lyrically. It's all in the delivery. It's like "American Life," but it actually works.

1. Girl Gone Wild 7/10

2. Gang Bang 9.5/10

3. I'm Addicted 10/10

4. Turn Up The Radio 8/10

5. Give Me All Your Luvin 7/10

6. Some Girls 7/10

7. I Don't Give A 9/10

8. I'm A Sinner 9/10

9. Love Spent 10/10

10. Masterpiece 8/10

11. Falling Free 9.5/10

12. I Fucked Up 8/10

13. B-Day Song 8/10

14. Superstar 6/10

15. Beautiful Killer 10/10

16. Best Friend (1 Minute clip) 9/10

The lyrics are indeed the biggest problem throughout. There are some exceptions, but my guess is that those were the songs written by others first and then she retooled them. I do think "I Don't Give A" is good lyrically. It's all in the delivery. It's like "American Life," but it actually works.

Lyrics are overrated. :lol: I'm very forgiving of MDNA.

Girl Gone Wild 6/10

Gang Bang 9/10

I'm Addicted 7/10

Turn up the Radio 8/10

Give Me All Your Luvin' 6/10

Some Girls 6/10

I Don't Give A 8/10

I'm A Sinner 9/10

Love Spent 10/10

Masterpiece 7/10

Falling Free 9/10

I Fucked up 8/10