Predict WW 1st Week Sales Of MDNA

markm

oh, I thought US only..

worldwide I fucking hope its close to a million! she needs to bring more buzz out there & do promo for gang bang and the other beauties on her record! damnit.

Guest groovyguy

oh, I thought US only..

worldwide I fucking hope its close to a million! she needs to bring more buzz out there & do promo for gang bang and the other beauties on her record! damnit.

http://www.facebook.com/WilliamOrbit

I’ve seen some posts here questioning the promotional strategy for MDMA. I'm not involved in any marketing , and I’m no expert, but I must say that from my observations, it’s working brilliantly. Given the end results. Madonna and Guy Oseary certainly know what they’re doing and they are doing it with panache. As will become more apparent over the coming months. Perhaps it’s not by the promo ‘rule book’. But we may well see their processes cropping up in next year’s ‘rule book’.

Are we counting all the pre-sales already bought since day 1??? anyway i remember Madonna talking about future promotion for music, after all the internet pirates things, she said that a new way should be done for music to be exposed and promoted, i just say YOU GO GIRL!

I think it will be hard to break 1 million ww in the first week. Confessions did it with a huge single (well, huge everywhere but America) and 4th quarter holiday sales.

Much depends on the U.S. figure. The closer she gets to a U.S. opening of 300k (and possibly over) the more likely she can hit 1 million ww. The wild card factor is the ticket redemption policy. If she somehow was to get a high number with the redemptions (and this would only be the U.S. from what I can tell), she could manage that feat easier.

However, with such marketing ploys turning in relatively low numbers historically, and the fact that she might not have a single charting on radio or the Hot 100 at the time of album release, I think her U.S. opening could be significantly lower. What they should've done is just told everyone the LP is included with the ticket and mailed everyone a hard copy from Amazon the week of release, thereby forcing everyone to just take what they sent and padding the debut numbers.

Maybe Guy Oseary has some aces up his sleeve like a perfume commercial which will air in primetime featuring the album music, or some other non-traditional promotional strategy?

Based on all this, right now I'd wager 750,000 to 800,000 worldwide first week.

Does anyone else have a feeling that the US figures might just be higher than we're guessing? This is the longest gap between M albums since her career started.

From the response during the Superbowl pre-sales, I'm inclined to think that it may do very well. I'm thinking around a million albums world wide. In the U.S., somewhere around 250,000 or 300, 000. But whatever it sells, my hope that it keeps selling. I know it's "wishful thinking", but I rather see an album debut respectably in the top 20, and rise to the top. That rarely happens anymore. Most albums peak their first week and then start plummeting.

Does anyone else have a feeling that the US figures might just be higher than we're guessing? This is the longest gap between M albums since her career started.

Why would that matter? If demand was so pent up, GMAYL would be in the Top 5. :confused:

Pre-sales on iTunes from the Super Bowl promo were ~50,000. Considering she would probably sell about 220-250k in a normal opening week, I think the most we can hope for is 300k. But who knows?

Why would that matter? If demand was so pent up, GMAYL would be in the Top 5. :confused:

Pre-sales on iTunes from the Super Bowl promo were ~50,000. Considering she would probably sell about 220-250k in a normal opening week, I think the most we can hope for is 300k. But who knows?

It seems to me people are more incline to buy her album than her singles anymore. I agree a great single helps sell an album... that's the initial idea and/or thought. But surely there is enough fans out there in the U.S. for it to sell at least 300K and a million world-wide in it's first week. So I can see why the 4 year gap could be helpful. Fans are hungry for a new album. Many fans are quite aware that the two singles aren't necessarily representative of the album when reading most of the reviews. Unfortunately, there will be a group who will rely on the first two singles interest to decide if they want the album. The plus side is that people can redeem a copy of the album with the ticket they bought with TICKETMASTER. The downside, from what I've been reading, a lot of people don't necessarily redeem these free copies. But there is hope that it can still help somewhat since more than die hard fans bought tickets to her shows. I'm sure there are many who purchased tickets, who don't necessarily run out and buy her albums when they are first released either, so the redemption code may persuade that type of individual to do so.

Guest groovyguy

It seems to me people are more incline to buy her album than her singles anymore. I agree a great single helps sell an album... that's the initial idea and/or thought. But surely there is enough fans out there in the U.S. for it to sell at least 300K and a million world-wide in it's first week. So I can see why the 4 year gap could be helpful. Fans are hungry for a new album. Many fans are quite aware that the two singles aren't necessarily representative of the album when reading most of the reviews. Unfortunately, there will be a group who will rely on the first two singles interest to decide if they want the album. The plus side is that people can redeem a copy of the album with the ticket they bought with TICKETMASTER. The downside, from what I've been reading, a lot of people don't necessarily redeem these free copies. But there is hope that it can still help somewhat since more than die hard fans bought tickets to her shows. I'm sure there are many who purchased tickets, who don't necessarily run out and buy her albums when they are first released either, so the redemption code may persuade that type of individual to do so.

According to a Ticketmaster sales rep, the redeeming code should be sent out in the middle of this month.

Guest groovyguy

How Much did COADF/Hard Candy sell First week?

Link

Madonna's SoundScan Debuts

Hard Candy Madonna 279,522 #1 5/17/08

The Confessions Tour Madonna 40,352 #15 2/17/07

I'm Going To Tell You A Secret Madonna 25,475 #33 7/8/06

Confessions On A Dance Floor Madonna 349,556 #1 12/03/05

Remixed and Revisted Madonna 20k #115 12/13/03

American Life Madonna 240,821 #1 05/10/03

GHV2 Madonna 150,300 #7 12/01/01

Music Madonna 419,601 #1 10/07/00

Ray Of Light Madonna 370,683 #2 03/21/98

Soundtrack: Evita (2-CD) Madonna 92,300 #6 11/30/96

Something To Remember Madonna 110,000 #6 11/25/95

Bedtime Stories Madonna 145,000 #3 11/12/94

Erotica Madonna 167,000 #2 11/7/92

Its not doing that well on iTunes. I thought it would be higher than 60-70 this near release..

Its not doing that well on amazon too

I donot think the albums being given away with concert tickets will count towards her sales.

The price is higher than most albums.

These things will hurt her sales .

I think somewhere in the 300K to 400k range is attainable. Besides, nobody saw the big Clear Channel promo for GMAYL coming. I can't help but wonder if something similarly huge is in store for the week prior to and the week of the album release. At the very least, I hope that it has a respectable debut at No. 1 and that it also maintains a consistent run for a long time similar to Adele's latest album. Based on the reviews alone, this album has a lot of potential singles and could have a long shelf life. I guess we'll find out soon enough what will happen.

i dont know why we dont know for a fact if this redemption of the album with tour tickets will count or not!??!

its strange that they r usually not redeemed, wouldnt u want to get it if u paid for it??? or do they get their money back if they dont redeem it!??!!?

i still say 225,000 US

wordwide - 650,000

from billboard last year:

Billboard looks for consumer intent when it comes to counting albums. So, for example, if an artist bundles an album in with the purchase of a concert ticket, we insist that there be a voucher for a physical album or a download code for a digital album, both redeemable by a third party. In the case of non-music items -- T-shirts, phones, vitamins -- that are bundled with CDs, there is a requirement that that non-music item be made available both with and without the CD, with the CD option costing reasonably more than the option without the CD. In these instances, the fan has not simply been spammed with music they may or may not want, but has made an active choice to acquire the music. This has been our stated policy. And this is why, for example, we will not count the albums that Best Buy has given away this week, as there was no clear indication that the people receiving the album actually want it, as opposed to simply wanting to buy a phone.

it is also noted that most people do not redeem their album codes...u paid for it though so i dont see why they wouldnt care

From the response during the Superbowl pre-sales, I'm inclined to think that it may do very well. I'm thinking around a million albums world wide. In the U.S., somewhere around 250,000 or 300, 000. But whatever it sells, my hope that it keeps selling. I know it's "wishful thinking", but I rather see an album debut respectably in the top 20, and rise to the top. That rarely happens anymore. Most albums peak their first week and then start plummeting.

If she has a hit or hits from the record it could have longevity, otherwise it will drop like stone.

An important factor to consider is that this time there are multiple versions. It's a first for Madonna and first week sales should benefit. Also the pre-order: I have pre-ordered at iTunes and I'll also get the physical. I didn't did this for Hard Candy and I'm sure I won't be alone.

Guest groovyguy

from billboard last year:

Billboard looks for consumer intent when it comes to counting albums. So, for example, if an artist bundles an album in with the purchase of a concert ticket, we insist that there be a voucher for a physical album or a download code for a digital album, both redeemable by a third party. In the case of non-music items -- T-shirts, phones, vitamins -- that are bundled with CDs, there is a requirement that that non-music item be made available both with and without the CD, with the CD option costing reasonably more than the option without the CD. In these instances, the fan has not simply been spammed with music they may or may not want, but has made an active choice to acquire the music. This has been our stated policy. And this is why, for example, we will not count the albums that Best Buy has given away this week, as there was no clear indication that the people receiving the album actually want it, as opposed to simply wanting to buy a phone.

it is also noted that most people do not redeem their album codes...u paid for it though so i dont see why they wouldnt care

The redeem code will be sent out to US tour ticket purchasers soon. Every album, physical or digital, redeemed is counted towards the BB chart. Link