Interscope Marketing Strategy for MDNA singles: Yay or Nay

horn

102 members have voted

1. 1. Interscope Marketing Strategy for MDNA singles

• Yay! They're doing a great job!
    • Nay! It's disappointing
    • It's a fucking mess! What the hell are they doing?
    • I miss WB
    • I Don't Give a Fuck!

That's because none of those artists are not POP artists. Madonna is the Queen of Pop. She's not the "Queen of Indie" or "Queen of Icelandic Fuck Shack Music".

If you are a POP artist it means you generally appeal to a larger audience than some nobody who writes songs for a coffee house crowd.

Good post! But to play devil's (wouldn't recognize you) advocate, she really transcended the pop label years ago. None of the other pop gals would do a Sanctuary, Mer Girl, Paradise, or even Oh Father to be honest. She is the Queen of Pop, but as many of her fans like Bjork and Tori Amos as they do Britney or Gaga.

Guest bluejean

PREACH IT HANI. So true. Premium post.

I wanna see her do well, why wouldn't I? I feels good as a fan to rub it in the faces of others like "HAHA." Pero the bottom line is always whether she's giving me amazigness musically and visually and that's all I need. THe chart stuff is for the Lady Gaga brigade tbh.

Well we have enough past glory to rub in people's faces anyway. Madonna is the Queen of pop just like Michael Jackson is the King of pop and Elvis and The Beatles are the Kings of Rock n Roll. There are no other contenders for those titles.

That's because none of those artists are not POP artists. Madonna is the Queen of Pop. She's not the "Queen of Indie" or "Queen of Icelandic Fuck Shack Music".

If you are a POP artist it means you generally appeal to a larger audience than some nobody who writes songs for a coffee house crowd.

True but when was the last time Madonna had an era of full on radio and iTunes saturation success? Hung Up was begging to be a hit but it was ahead of the curve (had it been released in 2010 it woulda been 4 Minutes sized) and 4 Minutes was huge but Madonna had to share 50% of the song with that lisping queen Justin Timberlake.

We all have to eventually come to terms with the fact that she's fighting a bit of a losing battle, and despite her trying her damnedest to make songs tailor made for radio (opinions on their quality aside, both GMAYL and GGW are radio-friendly), it's just way too tough for the old gal. If she can continue to go gold with her albums and continue releasing innovative pop music, I am content with that. She's quite huge in the rest of the world too, we gotta remember.

True but when was the last time Madonna had an era of full on radio and iTunes saturation success? Hung Up was begging to be a hit but it was ahead of the curve (had it been released in 2010 it woulda been 4 Minutes sized)

"Hung Up" was #1 on iTunes for quite some time without major airplay - and it sold over a million copies in the U.S. And honestly, I don't think its airplay would've been much better in 2010 if the issue is age.

We all have to eventually come to terms with the fact that she's fighting a bit of a losing battle, and despite her trying her damnedest to make songs tailor made for radio (opinions on their quality aside, both GMAYL and GGW are radio-friendly), it's just way too tough for the old gal. If she can continue to go gold with her albums and continue releasing innovative pop music, I am content with that. She's quite huge in the rest of the world too, we gotta remember.

I could care less about U.S. airplay. However, a stronger track as a lead single could've easily been a huge success in Europe were the age thing plays differently. GMAYL is tanking pretty much everywhere. I still say it is too soon to give the verdict on "Girl Gone Wild" in Europe. However, with Interscope pushing "Masterpiece" of all songs in the UK, their plan looks ridiculous. You're gonna try to launch the album with a ballad that's been out for almost 4 months?

My heart weeps for "Turn Up the Radio." I really think it could've been huge at the Super Bowl and overseas. Such a great hook. :( (obviously that is just my opinion) Shoulda woulda coulda...

Yeah I know Hung Up was big on iTunes - that's why I said it was begging to be a hit, but radio still was so reluctant to play it. It could have fared the same in 2010 who knows. I'm just saying that she's had to scratch her way there since 2003 and it's been super tough for her to get any sort of recognition by pop radio - so why would it all of a sudden turn around now? Even IF she were smarter about her single choices - something tells me that radio programmers would still be assholes about her music.

Turn Up The Radio is actually my most anticipated track from the album. It definitely should have been the 2nd single... but I do kinda see why they went with GGW. Turn Up The Radio (from what we've heard) reminds me of Get Together... and I adore that song from beginning to end, but it didn't do gangbusters if I remember correctly.

The early promo GMAYL was amazing... people just didn't like the song. The problem now is that they likely won't be motivated to promote GGW because GMAYL under-performed even with the amazing promo it got. So, if anyone is to blame, its whoever decided GMAYL would make a strong lead single.

The early promo GMAYL was amazing... people just didn't like the song. The problem now is that they likely won't be motivated to promote GGW because GMAYL under-performed even with the amazing promo it got. So, if anyone is to blame, its whoever decided GMAYL would make a strong lead single.

Miss MDNA herself, I'd bet!

Lol and no one had the nerve to tell her it wasn't a good idea. I swear, as much I love her, as intimidated as I would be, I would've said NO! Screamed it at the top of my lungs even if I got fired! LOL

oh well, over and done with! Have lots of hope for the album. ;)

Turn Up The Radio is actually my most anticipated track from the album. It definitely should have been the 2nd single... but I do kinda see why they went with GGW. Turn Up The Radio (from what we've heard) reminds me of Get Together... and I adore that song from beginning to end, but it didn't do gangbusters if I remember correctly.

Yeah, "Get Together" suffered the THIRD SINGLE fate. I actually think it did pretty good for a 3rd release from Madonna. You are right though, it is divine. :)

The Confessions era was virtually perfect in terms of music. I really love that whole album.

It's all about keeping the Madonna brand alive people, yes I would love for her to have multiple hits and shit but that just aint happening, that ship has sailed. The hole GMAYL push was about promoting the superbowl, which promoted the tour announcement days later...She could have released another Vogue or Like a Prayer and it wasn't going to be a hit anyway. period. she will have strong album sales and make a shit load on the tour.

"Don't think of RADIO PLAY

and I don't look at the CHARTS

I like to boogie woogie"

It's all about keeping the Madonna brand alive people, yes I would love for her to have multiple hits and shit but that just aint happening, that ship has sailed. The hole GMAYL push was about promoting the superbowl, which promoted the tour announcement days later...She could have released another Vogue or Like a Prayer and it wasn't going to be a hit anyway. period.

I don't believe this for one second. Madonna will always struggle in the U.S., but just 3 years ago she hit #3 in the UK with that toss-off single, "Celebration." No one can convince me that Europe wouldn't welcome another great Madonna anthem. "GMAYL" just wasn't that spectacular.

I don't believe this for one second. Madonna will always struggle in the U.S., but just 3 years ago she hit #3 in the UK with that toss-off single, "Celebration." No one can convince me that Europe wouldn't welcome another great Madonna anthem. "GMAYL" just wasn't that spectacular.

I should have said in the States..I was surprised that she wasn't embraced internationally tho

I should have said in the States..I was surprised that she wasn't embraced internationally tho

Honestly, I was too. I do think GMAYL is a weak lead single, but considering Europe lapped up many other weak tracks of hers I thought it would at least go Top 10 in the UK (today at UKMix we learned that even with those pre-order sales it would've only debuted at #15 at best).

Yeah, "Get Together" suffered the THIRD SINGLE fate. I actually think it did pretty good for a 3rd release from Madonna. You are right though, it is divine. :)

The Confessions era was virtually perfect in terms of music. I really love that whole album.

remember that Get together was performed during the initial campain, so when it was a single, a lot of people knew it and probably have bought it.

anyways, Hung Up is the prove that madonna can have a huge it again, even in the US.I´m sure madonna knows GMAYl is not the best song on the album, but it was chosen because of the cheerleader connection

I don't even care anymore, I've basically accepted that the singles will probably flop. As a fan I get a new album, a tour finally coming to my country and tbh I've enjoyed years and years of Madonna being huge in the charts. If you look around there are people that are mega fans of artists that have never even been in the top 40. Madonna fans are obsessed with charts and sales to an unhealthy degree. It comes back to the OBSESSION with what other people think about their favourite artist.

Just ENJOY the music/videos/tour and be glad that she has the budget to make it spectacular.

:thumbsup: About a decade ago,I've accepted the fact that most of Madonna's singles wouldn't do very well on the charts anymore.She'll still have the occasional Top 10 hit ("Hung Up","4 Minutes" and "GMAYL" all reached the Top 10 in America) but it's unrealistic to expect every single to have that sort of luck.Unfortunately,her age plays a huge role.In many cases,it has nothing to do with the song itself.And now,many fans are insisting that "I'm Addicted" should have been the single (LOL).I like it,but I don't think it would fare too much better than the other new singles.Regardless of what song she releases as a single,she still faces many obstacles in getting radio to embrace/support it.

"Hung Up" was #1 on iTunes for quite some time without major airplay - and it sold over a million copies in the U.S. And honestly, I don't think its airplay would've been much better in 2010 if the issue is age.

I could care less about U.S. airplay. However, a stronger track as a lead single could've easily been a huge success in Europe were the age thing plays differently. GMAYL is tanking pretty much everywhere. I still say it is too soon to give the verdict on "Girl Gone Wild" in Europe. However, with Interscope pushing "Masterpiece" of all songs in the UK, their plan looks ridiculous. You're gonna try to launch the album with a ballad that's been out for almost 4 months?

My heart weeps for "Turn Up the Radio." I really think it could've been huge at the Super Bowl and overseas. Such a great hook. :( (obviously that is just my opinion) Shoulda woulda coulda...

I completely agree with you. GMAYL was not strong enough to be a lead single. It was lacking that special

something that most Madonna lead singles have. I have no idea why they/she thought it would do well.

From the sounds of the clip of TUTR that we have heard it would have fared much better especially across Europe.

I think the fact GMAYL leaked months before its release and recieved a lukewarm reception sealed its fate. There was

just no buzz about the song. I don't think I have ever been disappointed in lead Madonna single until GMYAL.

Honestly, I was too. I do think GMAYL is a weak lead single, but considering Europe lapped up many other weak tracks of hers I thought it would at least go Top 10 in the UK (today at UKMix we learned that even with those pre-order sales it would've only debuted at #15 at best).

GMAYL is the weakest lead single she ever had in her whole career, no wonder it flopped, it's just sad that this happens after a pretty long pause, 4 years since the last album.

I thought they were quite bang on with the GMAYL promotion (too bad the choice of lead single itself was questionable). However, since GMAYL kinda tanked so fast, Interscope is in panic mode. I really don't even know what the hell is going on anymore regarding the singles as it's all over the place. I'm not claiming to be a marketing analyst, but there's absolutely no focus regarding the timing and promotion of anything.... :confused:

Even the American Life era had a more coordinated promotional effort.

THIS

GMAYL is the weakest lead single she ever had in her whole career, no wonder it flopped, it's just sad that this happens after a pretty long pause, 4 years since the last album.

The post-greatest-hits-album curse strikes again!

The Erotica album under-performed after TIC.

AL under-performed after GHV2.

MDNA probably to go the same way.

I spent good money on GMAYL and GGW, together I spent on itunes two dollars and sixty cents towards M.D.N.A. and she doesn't even have the decency to perform any of the two releases live and no promo's???? Who does she think she is, Cher? I'm thinking about suing Guy her manager for taking my money and running! I don't care if she in the process of rehearing for a global tour I'm Gay and my claws are OUT! I WANT MY MONEY BACK ITUNES!!!!

Edited by Lick

I spent good money on GMAYL and GGW, together I spent on itunes two dollars and sixty cents towards M.D.N.A. and she doesn't even have the decency to perform any of the two releases live and no promo's???? Who does she think she is, Cher? I'm thinking about suing Guy her manager for taking my money and running! I don't care if she in the process of rehearing for a global tour I'm Gay and a Bitch in heat! I WANT MY MONEY BACK ITUNES!!!!

you have a memory problem you? she hardly did any promo at all before ray of light.

Guest Xanthium

I spent good money on GMAYL and GGW, together I spent on itunes two dollars and sixty cents towards M.D.N.A. and she doesn't even have the decency to perform any of the two releases live and no promo's???? Who does she think she is, Cher? I'm thinking about suing Guy her manager for taking my money and running! I don't care if she in the process of rehearing for a global tour I'm Gay and my claws are OUT! I WANT MY MONEY BACK ITUNES!!!!

You reek of an alias trying to stir the pot.

I think the fact GMAYL leaked months before its release and recieved a lukewarm reception sealed its fate.

They should have paid attention to that. For months they could already know that the song wasn't being well recieved.

Unfortunaly i think the SuperBowl played a big part in this. She needed to perform a new song and most of all a SAFE song and GMAYL (intentionally or not) with all the chants fits perfectly the football theme.

Ultimately the SuperBowl messed with MDNA :lol: I loved the performance though.

True but when was the last time Madonna had an era of full on radio and iTunes saturation success? Hung Up was begging to be a hit but it was ahead of the curve (had it been released in 2010 it woulda been 4 Minutes sized) and 4 Minutes was huge but Madonna had to share 50% of the song with that lisping queen Justin Timberlake.

She's a legacy act. She has accepted this only when it comes to her touring prices. She's done being radio relevant in America. Fuck America. Her age is a non-issue globally. Being a legacy act guarantees attention overseas. Madonna's true base has been Europe since the SEX book fallout.

Guest bluejean

I think it would have been better if she did the Superbowl without any new songs. The impact would have been exactly the same and then when the new song came out the hype would have been at its peak. I think GMAYL killed alot of that hype. And yes, they surely knew it was not well received after the leak.

Although some fans hate GGW I think the public's reception to that song would be pretty positive if it had the same push as GMAYL. They made the wrong decision clearly but oh well. There's no point dwelling on it.

I do feel like Interscope and Madonna still have something up their sleeves though. I do agree that GMAYL was her weakest lead single of her entire career ( and we had to wait FOUR years for that ??) but now with the 99% positive reviews for MDNA I think we can expect to see some push from them. I feel like I'm waiting for an explosion of some kind.

After hearing these new clips, I have to say... WHAT THE FUCK IS INTERSCOPE THINKING! All three snippets sound like they would have made better singles!