Interscope Marketing Strategy for MDNA singles: Yay or Nay

horn

102 members have voted

1. 1. Interscope Marketing Strategy for MDNA singles

• Yay! They're doing a great job!
    • Nay! It's disappointing
    • It's a fucking mess! What the hell are they doing?
    • I miss WB
    • I Don't Give a Fuck!

They should scarp GGW completely and just see which tracks people will download from the album most..and release those as singles.

and do a poll on Madonna.com about next single after everybody heard the album previews.

I think the build up to the Superbowl was excellenty handled. I think they did a great job of promotion and everyone here was agreeing. However, I think they over-estimated the popularity of the Superbowl globally - it's just not that big in most other places. In addition, I think they may have been caught out by the negative reaction to GMAYL and its modest performance and lack of support.

However, I cannot understand what is going on since then with physical releases, second singles, videos etc. It's like they've just panicked. It is a hot mess now.

This is 100% Madonna's fault. Sorry, it's true.

She picked the first single. Interscope did their part and hyped it to the rafters with the Super Bowl tie-in and Clear Channel promotion. The public did not respond favorably and it did NOT catch on. A single that flames out after its second week is not a strong lead single. She knows better too. I don't even think this should surprise her. Her pop instincts are unparalleled.

She also could've schedule some promo or a back-up plan but neither appear in the cards right now and it's because she chose to focus on the tour rehearsals right now. Again, this is her decision - not Interscope's.

Honestly, maybe she needs a good kick in the teeth. She's always better when she comes back as the underdog. And if she truly doesn't care about this stuff, why bother releasing singles anymore? Just record an album and sell it and promote it at the tour.

This is 100% Madonna's fault. Sorry, it's true.

She picked the first single. Interscope did their part and hyped it to the rafters with the Super Bowl tie-in and Clear Channel promotion. The public did not respond favorably and it did NOT catch on. A single that flames out after its second week is not a strong lead single. She knows better too. I don't even think this should surprise her. Her pop instincts are unparalleled.

She also could've schedule some promo or a back-up plan but neither appear in the cards right now and it's because she chose to focus on the tour rehearsals right now. Again, this is her decision - not Interscope's.

Honestly, may be she needs a good kick in the teeth. She's always better when she comes back as the underdog.

I agree with everything...and I think this second time will come with a lot of performances everywhere, ala 2005 with hung up and get together.And, if they are inteligent enough, they will use again american Idol, but she should perform there too

I don't really care about chart placings,TV appearances and promo.I'm not gonna get fired up about these things.The only thing that matters to me is that I will soon be enjoying a brand new 18-track Madonna album and seeing her on tour later this year.Madonna is obviously tired of doing the chat shows,flashing a fake smile at the hosts as they ask her the same predictable questions,and all that nonsense.Touring is the ultimate way to expose/promote/present her music to the world,anyway.

I don't really care about chart placings,TV appearances and promo.I'm not gonna get fired up about these things.The only thing that matters to me is that I will soon be enjoying a brand new 18-track Madonna album and seeing her on tour later this year.

Then why post in this thread at all? :confused:

Madonna is obviously tired of doing the chat shows,flashing a fake smile at the hosts as they ask her the same predictable questions,and all that nonsense.Touring is the ultimate way to expose/promote/present her music to the world,anyway.

Welcome to the career of the Rolling Stones. :lol:

By the time the GGW video will be released nobody will even give a fuck about the song anymore.

Yes, but we'll have the remixes and 2 track CD single to look forward to. :doofus:

Guest Xanthium

I don't really care about chart placings,TV appearances and promo.I'm not gonna get fired up about these things.The only thing that matters to me is that I will soon be enjoying a brand new 18-track Madonna album and seeing her on tour later this year.Madonna is obviously tired of doing the chat shows,flashing a fake smile at the hosts as they ask her the same predictable questions,and all that nonsense.Touring is the ultimate way to expose/promote/present her music to the world,anyway.

Well she obviously wasn't tired of doing chat shows, interviews, and press conferences when it came to promoting W.E. And touring is the ultimate way to MAKE MONEY. I highly doubt casual fans are gonna spend hundreds of dollars on a Madonna concert and THEN decide to get the new album. Hit singles and hit albums DO promote tours and contribute to their success.

As a marketer, it's important to get across that the marketing process should start *before* you have your product, in this case, with the material. The popular backlash against Gaga specifically and the glut of autotuned death pop in general gave Madonna and her camp ample opportunity to differentiate herself 'reinvent' herself again if you will. Instead they have opted to release material along the exact lines of what everyone else is doing, only weaker, and coming from a 53 year old. You can't polish a turd, and no ammount of promotion will force these songs up the chart.

They should scarp GGW completely and just see which tracks people will download from the album most..and release those as singles.

and do a poll on Madonna.com about next single after everybody heard the album previews.

Well she obviously wasn't tired of doing chat shows, interviews, and press conferences when it came to promoting W.E. And touring is the ultimate way to MAKE MONEY. I highly doubt casual fans are gonna spend hundreds of dollars on a Madonna concert and THEN decide to get the new album. Hit singles and hit albums DO promote tours and contribute to their success.

I agree with what you're saying,but I'm not so sure that Madonna wants to work that hard anymore.She probably feels that she's already doing *her* part by touring.Who knows...maybe she'll do some heavy promotion in the next few weeks?

I don't get what everyone is upset about. That there are no TV slots? Like Madonna would go on TV to promote a single. She will do her part for the album on release week like she always does. That there was no buildup for GGW? Well GMAYL flopped and Interscope got caught with their pants down not having the video ready or not having time to build up radio play. It was a negative development, what can you do? It's clear to me that these guys are working their asses off to build buzz for this project, there's always something happening on that front. WB would have sat back and watched GMAYL flop down the charts.

No biggie to me. All I care about is hearing the new music. If she wants to come on TV or what not to promote it, that's her choice. It won't change the fact, I'm still buying it. It's her album. Why should I care how she promotes it? Why should I care where it charts or if radio plays it?? I don't really. Why? Because I can play the album and singles all I want. It's not my job to be concerned how her promotion goes. In the end, I'm buying the album and going to a couple of her shows. Mission accomplished!!

Guest Xanthium

I don't get what everyone is upset about. That there are no TV slots? Like Madonna would go on TV to promote a single. She will do her part for the album on release week like she always does. That there was no buildup for GGW? Well GMAYL flopped and Interscope got caught with their pants down not having the video ready or not having time to build up radio play. It was a negative development, what can you do? It's clear to me that these guys are working their asses off to build buzz for this project, there's always something happening on that front. WB would have sat back and watched GMAYL flop down the charts.

Valid points. Last sentence is VERY TRUE.

No biggie to me. All I care about is hearing the new music. If she wants to come on TV or what not to promote it, that's her choice. It won't change the fact, I'm still buying it. It's her album. Why should I care how she promotes it? Why should I care where it charts or if radio plays it?? I don't really. Why? Because I can play the album and singles all I want. It's not my job to be concerned how her promotion goes. In the end, I'm buying the album and going to a couple of her shows. Mission accomplished!!

I agree with everything you said ;) I'm getting a new,18-track Madonna album and I'm seeing her on tour later this year.All of the other stuff (promotion,chart placings) means nothing to me.Why should I care whether or not the radio stations are playing a new Madonna song? I don't even listen to the radio! :lol: I'll soon have the CD,I can play the song myself...anytime I want!

Guest Xanthium

I agree with everything you said ;) I'm getting a new,18-track Madonna album and I'm seeing her on tour later this year.All of the other stuff (promotion,chart placings) means nothing to me.Why should I care whether or not the radio stations are playing a new Madonna song? I don't even listen to the radio! :lol: I'll soon have the CD,I can play the song myself...anytime I want!

Yes we know as you keep pointing out in each post you make. Some of us enjoy discussing things from a business/marketing point of view. I don't personally care if the singles or album flop. I only care about good music. Plus this thread is dedicated to those who want to "rant".

Yes we know as you keep pointing out in each post you make. Some of us enjoy discussing things from a business/marketing point of view. I don't personally care if the singles or album flop. I only care about good music. Plus this thread is dedicated to those who want to "rant".

Knock yourself out with this discussion,then ;) It won't really change anything,but to each their own.

Guest Xanthium

Knock yourself out with this discussion,then ;) It won't really change anything,but to each their own.

Well it's not about changing anything, it's about analysis.

Guest bluejean

I don't even care anymore, I've basically accepted that the singles will probably flop. As a fan I get a new album, a tour finally coming to my country and tbh I've enjoyed years and years of Madonna being huge in the charts. If you look around there are people that are mega fans of artists that have never even been in the top 40. Madonna fans are obsessed with charts and sales to an unhealthy degree. It comes back to the OBSESSION with what other people think about their favourite artist.

Just ENJOY the music/videos/tour and be glad that she has the budget to make it spectacular.

WB would have sat back and watched GMAYL flop down the charts.

In their defense, they did try to rush "Hollywood" out after "American Life" went tits up in 2003. Not that it helped much.

I think it's all great. Had a Top 10 hit in the US that has nearly sold 400,000 copies. People are saying it's a flop elsewhere but I believe it performed great in Canada, Italy and several other countries? Then a Top 40 iTunes track in US with zero promo. Great radio promo coming in UK for Masterpiece. Let's not forget the added successes of the Super Bowl and her record breaking pre-order album sales, plus early reviews of album saying it's amazing. I have to vote great job! Oh, and a quality video once again!

I don't even care anymore, I've basically accepted that the singles will probably flop. As a fan I get a new album, a tour finally coming to my country and tbh I've enjoyed years and years of Madonna being huge in the charts. If you look around there are people that are mega fans of artists that have never even been in the top 40. Madonna fans are obsessed with charts and sales to an unhealthy degree. It comes back to the OBSESSION with what other people think about their favourite artist.

Just ENJOY the music/videos/tour and be glad that she has the budget to make it spectacular.

PREACH IT HANI. So true. Premium post.

I wanna see her do well, why wouldn't I? I feels good as a fan to rub it in the faces of others like "HAHA." Pero the bottom line is always whether she's giving me amazigness musically and visually and that's all I need. THe chart stuff is for the Lady Gaga brigade tbh.

If you look around there are people that are mega fans of artists that have never even been in the top 40. Madonna fans are obsessed with charts and sales to an unhealthy degree. It comes back to the OBSESSION with what other people think about their favourite artist.

That's because none of those artists are not POP artists. Madonna is the Queen of Pop. She's not the "Queen of Indie" or "Queen of Icelandic Fuck Shack Music".

If you are a POP artist it means you generally appeal to a larger audience than some nobody who writes songs for a coffee house crowd.