Interscope Marketing Strategy for MDNA singles: Yay or Nay

horn

102 members have voted

1. 1. Interscope Marketing Strategy for MDNA singles

• Yay! They're doing a great job!
    • Nay! It's disappointing
    • It's a fucking mess! What the hell are they doing?
    • I miss WB
    • I Don't Give a Fuck!

Record Label Blunder : MADONNA - GIRL GONE WILD friday release ???

http://www.mymonumentalicons.blogspot.com/2012/03/record-label-blunder-madonna-girl-gone.html

Madonna+Girl+Gone+Wild+Interscope+Friday.jpg

Looking back, Give Me All Your Luvin' became available for download also on a FRIDAY, 3rd February 2012. It had all the hype of the Superbowl performance but managed to debut only within the Top 20 following an incomplete week's worth of sales (and huge lost sales as well since it was given free for MDNA pre-order!). Though it reached the Top 10 during it's second week, it has since lost steam and now languishes outside the Top 40. A lot of factors were cited for the failure:

1. GMAYL was weak to begin with.

2. It was not promoted anymore after the Superbowl performance.

3. There was no maxi-single release containing the Official Remixes which could have generated new interest for the buying public.

Fans, who knew what went bad with GMAYL, wish that the next release won't have technical demerits anymore, but they are dead wrong! GGW has even more weak spots to guarantee a chart flop:

1. No prior official buzz was issued over at Interscope that GGW was to be released on the 2nd of March. Fans were not able to anticipate and pre-order the track. I was even surprised!

2. It wasn't issued to radio stations before it came out so many people are clueless that Madonna has a new track. Only netizens knew about the lyric video that came out at the end of February. No airplay is tantamount to low chart position.

3. The single debuts even before the official video wrapped up! Everyone has to contend with the lyric video up until now. Now that's promotion!

4. Another blunder of a FRIDAY release! Haven't they learned their lesson yet with GMAYL? Naturally, an incomplete week's worth of sales will garner the single a low chart debut! This is really dodgy since MOST of the other artists under Interscope have their releases always scheduled on a TUESDAY to maximize the full-week sales. ONLY Madonna has had her first two releases on a FRIDAY! Does Madonna even realize this is happening? Is this a deliberate attempt to slow her down?

5. No maxi-single release with the official mixes is scheduled AGAIN? The Justin Cognito Mix has already surfaced online but not officially attached to any release. So how does this mix help the single at all?

....and the list goes on..

Let's pray and light a candle for a miracle to save GGW as i weep at another squandered charting opportunity for Madonna. T_T

Madonna+praying.jpg

Edited by danniilo13

Orbit talks MDNA promo (from his twitter)

"I’ve received a few tweets questioning marketing strategy for MDMA. I'm not in marketing , and no expert, but ..."

"I will say, from my observations, it’s working brilliantly. Just look at the results."

"Madonna and Guy Oseary know what they’re doing and they are doing it with panache. As will be apparent over coming months."

"Perhaps not following the promo ‘rule book’. But we may see their innovations cropping up in next year’s ‘rule book’. Go Guy!"

:rotfl:

:lol: Releasing GMAYL on a Friday that time could be a missed judgement. Releasing GGW also on a Friday (knowing about the disastrous debut results of the GMAYL release) is already deliberate.

Edited by danniilo13