Interscope Marketing Strategy for MDNA singles: Yay or Nay

horn

102 members have voted

1. 1. Interscope Marketing Strategy for MDNA singles

• Yay! They're doing a great job!
    • Nay! It's disappointing
    • It's a fucking mess! What the hell are they doing?
    • I miss WB
    • I Don't Give a Fuck!

They started well with GMAYL in the US but almost 0 promotion for the rest of the world.

If I'm not mistaken, someone had posted something about GMAYL was an "intro" to MDNA, the actual first single is GGW. :manson:

But later, some news reporting "Masterpiece" will be the first in the UK whereas the rest of the world will be GGW.

As for the itunes single release date, it was a mess. Instead of full week sales, they put up the single on Friday (did they do the same for GGW?)

What the hell are they doing? They are fucking the whole new era up! :grr:

NO MAXIS? That's what angers me. And now they're relasing GAYL remixes a month later? umm....

And no 12" / 7" or whatsoever!

Was it because they had paid Madge way too much and now they have to cut all budget for physical release?

You can talk all you want about the quality of GMAYL, but that release was missing a second kick. The week after the superbowl they should have put the remixes maxi on itunes. It needed that extra boost. It would have given the song more longevity on the charts.Why are they releasing it a month late?

Are they even going to release remixes of GGW on itunes too?

I understand the main focus is in the album sales, but it's like they never even tried with the singles. Why even bother releasing them. Just pull a Beyonce and just release the videos as the main focus of the singles.

I voted for the "mess". I'm very disappointed with the way they are handling MDNA. I hope they got a plan for the album release though.

Guest Xanthium

It's a total fucking DISASTER. My question is, if the charts aren't important to Madonna and Interscope, and GMAYL and GGW are songs just to drum up interest in MDNA and the tour, then why not release something FABULOUS like I'm Addicted? I've only listened to a 60 second clip of that song 4 times in SHITTY QUALITY and it already makes my PUSSY POP more than GMAYL and GGW ever could.

I don't really see anything wrong with it. They released GMAYL with a huge push (in the US at least) it didn't catch on, they moved on to the second one and now they're previewing different tracks to drum up more interest which I think is smart (and I thought it was smart when it was done in May too unlike SOME who are all :thumbsup: about it now yet were laughing about it back then).

Whatever the FUCK it is, I don't care anymore cause it seems to piss everyone on this forum off and it upsets me too, so instead of calculating every move as its happening, I'd rather wait til the album drops and see if it makes any sense in hindsight. I'm sure it won't make much of a difference when we look back on the promotions for W.E., Masterpiece, and GMAYL but at this point what can we do. They tied in the concert sales with the album which I think was brilliant and we're getting a proper second video! ;)

So just like everyone else, I'm jumping on the happy wagon and saying FUCK IT! Let's just enjoy it for what it is.

Of course, I do enjoy discussing it in detail but I won't be over calculating each move anymore. The business has changed and things are different now. I don't know the system anymore. Maybe I'm getting old. I remember the days I would be able to predict every move. It all made sense. The era of the MP3 changed everything. I'm clueless and in many ways that may be a good thing. Almost like going back to not having all this info.

My question is, if the charts aren't important to Madonna and Interscope, and GMAYL and GGW are songs just to drum up interest in MDNA and the tour, then why not release something FABULOUS like I'm Addicted? I've only listened to a 60 second clip of that song 4 times in SHITTY QUALITY and it already makes my PUSSY POP more than GMAYL and GGW ever could.

+1

i thought the marketing was really good

the problem lies within the awful single choices which were picked by m's team

Guest Xanthium

Smart move for the previews in PereZ Hilton though.

I must agree that they've chosen the wrong singles.

Very smart move cause they've got my attention once again.

I thought they were quite bang on with the GMAYL promotion (too bad the choice of lead single itself was questionable). However, since GMAYL kinda tanked so fast, Interscope is in panic mode. I really don't even know what the hell is going on anymore regarding the singles as it's all over the place. I'm not claiming to be a marketing analyst, but there's absolutely no focus regarding the timing and promotion of anything.... :confused:

Even the American Life era had a more coordinated promotional effort.

we need more 7" 12" cd singles an dpromo - i do not care if tehy release all at once as long as tehy have good videos and everything is sent to radio e performed in TV shows.

Guest Xanthium

I thought they were quite bang on with the GMAYL promotion (too bad the choice of lead single itself was questionable). However, since GMAYL kinda tanked so fast, Interscope is in panic mode. I really don't even know what the hell is going on anymore regarding the singles as it's all over the place. I'm not claiming to be a marketing analyst, but there's absolutely no focus regarding the timing and promotion of anything.... :confused:

Even the American Life era had a more coordinated promotional effort.

What I find annoying or at least comical is that I'm constantly reading better strategies for album and single promotion from posters here a.k.a. THE FANS rather than from the SUPPOSED EXPERTS who work at these record companies. I mean, isn't it their JOB to have strategies for every situation that could possibly occur? Don't they know anything? The whole "the music industry is different now because of the internet" bullshit excuse doesn't fly anymore. The change happened YEARS ago. It's time to man up and build a new business model.

The did it EXTREMLY WELL with GMAYL, everybody knew there was a new single. And i mean everybody, from USA to loads of countries. The week the song was released it was played every hour in Spanish radio stations, for example. If people decided to pass it's because the song is weak and I don't know if Interscope is to blame or Madonna. Who decided to release that silly tune as first single from a big major album???

And then we get a Rihanna cast off as second single. And nobody but hard die fans know about it. No vid, no capstills, no promo on tv... And then in the listening parties everybody seems to say that the good songs are in the album :megamanson: I have a feeling that Madonna was given too much freedom with this album. It has happened to other artist: the second they are given freedom, they mess it up because they are too close to the project to choose the perfect single.

I voted for "I miss WB" because they would have slapped Madonna's face telling her that GMAYL was clearly NOT single worthy.

it´s a mess: with GAYl in the US, they had good ideas,the SB, american idol... but it should have been released on monday, and we know about that strange thing that happened on itunes...about the rest of the world,I don´t understand what are they doing.I mean,no remixes?release the physical single-maxi so late? :hurt:

and, how many songs as a single at the same time? I don´t know, it worked with beyonce, but i don´t think it will work with madonna.what do they want, a song for the hot 100 radios and another one for the adult pop or the adult contemporary?

well, at least by may, we will have three singles already...I don´t know, it seems that they don´t care about charts positions anymore...

It's a complete fucking mess. I don't know what their strategy is but they barely released 2 singles and people already seem to be over them. All seems to be moving incredibly fast. I already forgot about GMAYL and it's video. It just seems like they are handling this era worse than the HC one, and I'm scared it'll be over before we even know with.

It's a complete fucking mess. I don't know what their strategy is but they barely released 2 singles and people already seem to be over them. All seems to be moving incredibly fast. I already forgot about GMAYL and it's video. It just seems like they are handling this era worse than the HC one, and I'm scared it'll be over before we even know with.

didn´t beyoncé´s company do the same with her last album? it didnñt have a huge hit, but the album sold very good.So, even tough I think it´s a mess, I think they have an strategy

Its a HOT MESS. Nothing seems co-ordinated. Why didn't they release the GMYAL remixes after the Superbowl when she was getting so much media attention?

Why oh why were there no remixes released to the clubs - a good way to build hype.

They should have had the GGW video ready when thye released it to I tunes to start the hype building. Fuck knows why they have not released it radio

in the US. Why is it not available in I tunes in Europe and released to radio especially when its all over the internet. Then there is the GMAYL

screw up in the UK. I mean really how did they know about the chart rules in the UK? Clearly they have no idea about communication because nobody

knows if GGW or Masterpiece or both is the next single in the UK. Confusing much. When are they going to tell us about promo for the album?

They are in charge of the marketing campaign for the release of a new album by the biggest female star on the planet and they appear absolutely clueless.

Would not have happened under Warners. They must be laughing their asses off. Its a shame because it could have been so different.

The did it EXTREMLY WELL with GMAYL, everybody knew there was a new single. And i mean everybody, from USA to loads of countries. The week the song was released it was played every hour in Spanish radio stations, for example. If people decided to pass it's because the song is weak and I don't know if Interscope is to blame or Madonna. Who decided to release that silly tune as first single from a big major album???

This