MDNA Press Reviews

Guest groovyguy

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/music/4179490/Madonna-rolls-back-the-years-on-MDNA.html

Madonna rolls back the years on new album

By GORDON SMART, Showbiz Editor

Back to her best ... Madonna's new MDNA album

SINCE Madonna was old enough to wear a leotard she's lived for dancing.

Now the singer is 53 and knocking out her 12th studio album, you might expect her tastes to change.

But no. Her appetite for making music to get a sweat on to is showing no sign of dinner lady's arm.

I've had a listen to new collection MDNA and it is packed with special little chemicals – including dubstep.

Her daughter Lola is a huge fan of producer Skrillex and it sounds like mum might have been listening in.

In fact, Lola gets a gig on backing vocals on the album's stand-out track Superstar. Opener Gang Bang also follows the dubstep trend.

Madge has gone back in the Confessions On A Dancefloor direction for an album packed with big pop classics.

Her past release, Hard Candy, was a let-down for even her most loyal followers. So it's a wise move to return to what she does best.

And it's all thanks to her successful partnerships with top European producers.

William Orbit – who was behind Ray Of Light – is back on board, plus Benny Benassi and French club DJ Martin Solveig.

Having rappers M.I.A. and Nicki Minaj on board was a shrewd move and they bring quality as well as credibility to their guest appearances.

Lyrically, she spits out a few harsh words for ex-husband Guy Ritchie on I Don't Give A.

But she also accepts some responsibility for a broken marriage on bonus track I F***** Up.

Fans will love I'm Addicted, Turn Up The Radio and Some Girls – they are classic Madge.

Falling Free is the most stripped-down Madonna track I've heard for years.

The album should be the spine of an incredible live show – just what her army of followers will want to hear.

It's a return to form and out on March 26.

That's a good review from Gordon Smart because her generally dislikes Madonna and is always having digs at her.

Reading all these reviews is giving me goosebumps! Absolutely amazing, so proud of her. Not listening to the snippets and the reviews made me absolutely crave for the new album.

Rolling Stone is lady gaga biggest supporter so they hate madonna now.

i do not think madonna will cover Rolling Stone more.

This picture makes more sense than whatever you attempt to post

424821_10150610783064075_598674074_9141709_1704039652_n.jpg

Sorry to sound like a devil's advocate here but from a PR strategy view, critics tend to be "gentler" and more forgiving with their reviews if given the advanced listen in a more intimate setting.

Sorry to sound like a devil's advocate here but from a PR strategy view, critics tend to be "gentler" and more forgiving with their reviews if given the advanced listen in a more intimate setting.

Er...that's how all critics review albums...Sorry to say...but it seems...you don't have a clue ;)

Er...that's how all critics review albums...Sorry to say...but it seems...you don't have a clue ;)

Oh shucks really? My side of the world still old then :lol: In Southeast Asia, critics are usually sent copies days before or a week during release. I stand corrected.

Oh shucks really? My side of the world still old then :lol: In Southeast Asia, critics are usually sent copies days before or a week during release. I stand corrected.

It's exactly the opposite, critics have been complaining 4 years now that advance copies no longer come with the territory, often getting the chance

2 listen to the album just once in record company offices while they r being babysat by some person from the label...the corporate setting doesn't do anyone any favours.

Metro - UK

Madonna's MDNA album wins rave first reviews from music critics

Music critics have been treated to a first listen to the diva's new album MDNA and have given it a resounding thumbs up.

Journalists were invited to listen to the album at Abbey Road's Studio 2 in London last night with The Sun claiming it's a 'return to form'.

The Daily Mirror said Madonna's latest offering makes recent albums by her pop rivals Lady Gaga and Britney Spears appear 'try-hard and sloppy'.

Its critic added: 'Tracks including I F***ed UP and Best Friend (featured on the Deluxe version of MDNA) are clear odes to her failed marriage with Guy Ritchie. Whilst tracks like Gang Bang (!) leave you wondering who exactly the star wants to shoot in the head. The lyrics screech: “Bang, bang, shot you dead. Shot my lover in the head.

'One thing you need to wipe clean from your brain immediately as the album starts is the fact Madonna is 53. She sounds 25. In fact, if this album was released by a Pop Princess then it wouldn't be out of place.

Madonna on the cover of new single Girl Gone Wild (Picture: Interscope).

'This is one girl that still knows what she's doing and she's in control.'

The Independent claimed Madge was still 'top of the pops'.

'MDNA represents a determined, no-nonsense restatement of the Madonna brand following the lacklustre Hard Candy, on which her hip-hop collaborators failed to apply their talents as rigorously as they might,' said its critic.

The Guardian describes the album as a mixture of 'terrible French accents, amazing pop raves and heartfelt ballads'.

Its review adds that MDNA is an 'album that's been trailed by weak singles, but contains brilliantly bonkers moments'.

The first single to be taken from the album was Give Me All Your Luvin' featuring Nicki Minaj and MIA.

Madge performed the track at the Super Bowl but found her return to the stage marred by rapper MIA, who decided to give the crowd the finger.

Her next single will be Girl Gone Wild.

Read more: http://www.metro.co.uk/music/892500-madonnas-mdna-album-wins-rave-first-reviews-from-music-critics#ixzz1oWInabsA

I'm DYING to hear B-Day Song. I know no one really seems to care for it, but it's the track I'm most excited for. :inlove:

Me too.

I think it could be a cutie.

It's good to hear that The Guardian and The Independent have given it 4/5's.

They are normally hard to please.

Somebody should twatter GUY that I said a NME cover int. is a must. :fag:

I really couldn't stomach another major cover story where the author journo goes on about the surroundings and furniture with a

few paraphrased answers.

Remember the horrible Vanity Fair write up 4 HC... :confused:

Guest groovyguy

http://www.madonnatribe.com/news/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=6659

Can MDNA be Madonna's best album ever?

Well it looks like we were not the only ones to get in love with the new Madonna album yesterday.

While MadonnaTribe had the chance to take part to a rather intimate listening session with a bunch of members from the media in a sunny Italian morning, a much more packed event took place at the Abbey Road Studios in London.

And the UK press loved it! If you have missed the selection of reviews so far, do it now, the vibes from an overwhelming wave of positive feedbacks is something you won't miss!

The reviews that are in so far include:

The one from Miss Madonnalicious herself, who also had the privilege to take part to the listening party in London.

The one from our friends at Toh! magazine, who shared our own excitement during and after the listening session in Milan.

The one from our friend - celebrity blogger, Sunday Mirror columinist - and Madonna fan! - Dean Piper.

The track-by-track review from PopJustice - the guys were listening to MDNA for a second time yesterday, jealous much!

Neil McCormick giving his first verdict on MDNA on The Telegraph.

The review from The Independent, with Andy Gill saying that Madonna shows the new generation of divas she's still top of the pop.

Gordon Smart at The Sun, who says Madonna rolls back the years on new album.

Kim Dawson at The Daily Star, saying that Madonna is back at her absolute best with the biggest all-out dance album she’s ever made

Digital Spy, with Robert Copsey saying MDNA is by no means a perfect Madonna album, but it certainly has the potential after repeated listens to be up somewhere in the top six.

Stylist's Anita Bhagwandas shares her initial, unedited track by track MDNA reaction MDNA.

The Guardian also had a sneak preview of the new album and warns you to get ready for terrible French accents, amazing pop raves and heartfelt ballads.

Guest groovyguy

http://www.digitalspy.com/music/news/a370089/madonna-new-album-mdna-is-unapologetically-happy.html?utm_source=twt&utm_medium=snets&utm_campaign=twitter

Madonna: 'New album MDNA is unapologetically happy'

Published Thursday, Mar 8 2012

Madonna has described her new album as "unapologetically happy".

The singer revealed that she wanted to make her 12th studio LP MDNA more upbeat so she could "put a smile on people's faces".

Madonna told IN Toronto: "I wanted to make an album that was unapologetically happy. I think we all need to dance a bit more these days.

"The world needs a breather, and [DJ/producer] Martin Solveig knows how to put a smile on people's faces. And, of course, I have my partner-in-crime William Orbit helping me out with the substance."

She added: "MDNA is a good hybrid of the introspective and fun."

Madonna's new album MDNA will be released worldwide on March 26.

The star previewed two new album tracks - called 'I'm Addicted' and 'Love Spent' - online earlier this week.

Guest groovyguy

Heat magazine's Jeremy Mark tweeted: I went to the official UK #MDNA listening party at Abbey Road last night! The room was filled with Diptyque Baies candles... and we all took notes on #MDNA notepads that look like this... "

420862_344894705556505_240818905964086_1002942_353159584_n.jpg

the person who reviewed MDNA from the stylist (by not looking I could tell it was a woman) she is very, very annoying. filled with backhanded compliments. as if to say..the music is good, but madonna is old, so we have to throw in some sexist & ageist remarks there.. and of course a bit of botox.

disgusting!

she needs to purchase Something to Remember too..

ageist bitch.

Guest groovyguy

Thanks!

Madonna album: critics react with positive reviews

Madonna, MDNA Madonna's album received a resounding thumbs up from British critics

Critics have reacted positively to Madonna's new album, saying she is "still pushing the envelope".

Reviews for MDNA, which has 12 tracks, largely agreed with the Mirror's Dean Piper, that the record was showing younger stars she is still a "force to be reckoned with".

Music critics and bloggers were invited to London's Abbey Road studios to hear the first complete playback of her 12th studio album.

The album is released on 26 March.

MDNA sees the 53-year-old singer working, once again, with British producer William Orbit, who is credited with re-igniting her career during their collaboration on her 1998 album Ray of Light.

The Telegraph's Neil McCormick praised Madonna for "balancing the twin requirements of radio-friendly hooks and dance floor drive".

But he noted that, while that some of the songs marked a return to high points in her career, her lyrics often "appear to have been added as an afterthought".

The Guardian's Music Blog gave a track-by-track review describing it as "an album that's been trailed by weak singles, but contains brilliantly bonkers moments".

It also highlighted that fans should "get ready for terrible French accents, amazing pop raves and heartfelt ballads" and branded her track, Some Girls, as the "weakest moment" in the album.

Mirror critic Piper described the record as better than her previous albums, American Life and Music: "Madonna's still pushing the envelope of her superstardom and MDNA is in no way a let-down".

Attitude's Matthew Todd awarded the "dark" album four stars, adding that Madonna is "out to recapture who she is... she has demons to slay".

Madonna performed her new single Give Me All Your Luvin' at the Super Bowl half-time show last month, but her return to the stage was marred by an "inappropriate" gesture from rapper MIA, who joined her on stage.

One bad review:

http://now-here-this.timeout.com/2012/03/08/madonnas-mdna/

The verdict on Madonna’s new album ‘MDNA’

Everybody needs a slogan – even Madonna. And the ‘sell’ for her brand new album is ”Confessions on a Dance Floor’ meets ‘Ray of Light”. Whatever the sound, it ain’t that. William Orbit, who produced the latter record is back on board, but the resemblance begins and ends with the final four (out of 12) cuts, which tap Bollywood pop, Prince’s ‘When Doves Cry’, ‘La Isla Bonita’ and erm, the Irish folk tradition respectively.

The rest of the record is a monstrously throbbing and insistent, jack-booted stomp through the electro/fidget- house heartlands, with notes of deranged rave, dubstep and (on lead track, ‘Give Me All your Luvin’) rapid-fire dancehall raps from Nicki Minaj and MIA, Madge’s guests at her recent Superbowl appearance. Co-producers Martin Solveig and Benny Benassi have given Madge the 20-ton rhythm, batter-listeners-into-submission treatment, but there’s a (welcome) shift in mood with ‘Superstar’, which – despite the rhyming dictionary lyrics (superstar/car/guitar) – is sure to set tongues wagging as to the subject’s identity.

The brutal ‘Gang Bang’ is a highlight – all Teutonic beats, juddering bass and featuring police sirens and the sound of burning rubber – with Madge barking out a dark litany: ‘bang, bang, shot you dead, shot my lover in the head’ and ‘I said drive, bitch.’ Not entirely suited to International Women’s Day! As for its place in Madge’s personal pop pantheon, ‘MDNA’ is more ‘Hard Candy’ part II’ than ‘Confessions…’. Similarly, it’s a case of suck it and see.

Sharon O’Connell

One bad review:

http://now-here-this.timeout.com/2012/03/08/madonnas-mdna/

The verdict on Madonna’s new album ‘MDNA’

Everybody needs a slogan – even Madonna. And the ‘sell’ for her brand new album is ”Confessions on a Dance Floor’ meets ‘Ray of Light”. Whatever the sound, it ain’t that. William Orbit, who produced the latter record is back on board, but the resemblance begins and ends with the final four (out of 12) cuts, which tap Bollywood pop, Prince’s ‘When Doves Cry’, ‘La Isla Bonita’ and erm, the Irish folk tradition respectively.

The rest of the record is a monstrously throbbing and insistent, jack-booted stomp through the electro/fidget- house heartlands, with notes of deranged rave, dubstep and (on lead track, ‘Give Me All your Luvin’) rapid-fire dancehall raps from Nicki Minaj and MIA, Madge’s guests at her recent Superbowl appearance. Co-producers Martin Solveig and Benny Benassi have given Madge the 20-ton rhythm, batter-listeners-into-submission treatment, but there’s a (welcome) shift in mood with ‘Superstar’, which – despite the rhyming dictionary lyrics (superstar/car/guitar) – is sure to set tongues wagging as to the subject’s identity.

The brutal ‘Gang Bang’ is a highlight – all Teutonic beats, juddering bass and featuring police sirens and the sound of burning rubber – with Madge barking out a dark litany: ‘bang, bang, shot you dead, shot my lover in the head’ and ‘I said drive, bitch.’ Not entirely suited to International Women’s Day! As for its place in Madge’s personal pop pantheon, ‘MDNA’ is more ‘Hard Candy’ part II’ than ‘Confessions…’. Similarly, it’s a case of suck it and see.

Sharon O’Connell

uh oh.. another review from a woman... though it is not entirely a bad one..