MDNA Album Thread

Butter9

I will admit that no one should be expected to like all of Madonna's songs, that would be ridiculous. However, and I don't know this for a fact, but I get the sense that fans of Janet, Mariah, Britney, and Gaga just don't really trash those artists. Which is strange, because in all honesty each of those with the possible exception of Gaga because she is so new, has a fucked ton of wretched material but their fans seem much more supportive. I guess the argument is that M's fans are somehow smarter people, but still I do feel in some ways her fans are much harsher. Maybe someone who frequents Britney or Disney Girl's boards could enlighten us as to whether their fans are ever negative?

Janet, Mariah, and Britney are "fallen stars" hence it's easier for their base to mobilize and become super supportive of people who lack the public's interest which makes it impossible for them to receive the serious attention they were accustomed in their prime. Madonna's failures never stood in front of her choice to survive. Resilience is a trait lacking with the majority in the entertainment business.

Madonna's frugal. Quality's expensive. Mainstream producers don't want their best material given to legacy artists unable to give them a hit at domestic radio. I'd rather Madonna stay stuck on left American Life for the rest of her career.

Me too!

http://www.examiner.com/music-in-san-diego/madonna-early-mdna-reviews-say-she0is-queen-again

Madonna | March 4, 2012

Madonna: Early ‘MDNA’ reviews say she is Queen again

Edward Daily

San Diego Music Examiner

First, the bad news: San Diego’s Z90.3 has not yet added Madonna’s amazing new single “Girl Gone Wild” to its playlist. The good news: It has only been out for a week and they may add it later.

In even better news, MDNA has opened up to early spectacular reviews. Matt Rettenmund, a well-respected music critic and magazine editor, has said that MDNA is much better than Madonna’s last album, Hard Candy, which he liked as well. He says, “Write my obituary—MDNA is a beautiful killer.

Advertisement

Attitude Magazine says the following:

“It’s what her fans have been waiting for: a wallop enough of an album to put her back up there, at checkmate against Lady Gaga, who, despite her brilliance, doesn’t quite give you songs that are as easy to disco dance to as some of these are. Is Madonna still ‘the Queen’ as Nicki Minaj gabs at one point? On the strength of MDNA, it’s hard to argue against it.”

Popjustice and Rolling Stone Magazine have tweeted that the album is far better than they expected, but they wonÂ’t be giving full reviews for the next week. This column expects to have a review later this week as well. Keep up the good work, Madonna!

i bet she's rehearsing now for a few four/five song promo shows when the album drops.

maybe she will perform on a tv show in us.

what's her plan to promo this reccord; interviews for magazines and tv, but also performing on tv shows??

Guest groovyguy

http://www.updt.me/go?item=madonna-takes-aim-at-ex-guy-ritchie-in-new-song&t=fb

Madonna takes aim at ex Guy Ritchie in new song

382402-guy-ritchie.jpg

MADONNA takes aim at ex-husband Guy Ritchie in feisty lyrics in a song titled I Don't Give A on her next album, MDNA.

The song, which hints at losing her identity in the eight-year marriage, which ended in 2008, includes the lines, "I tried to be a good girl/I tried to be your wife/Diminished myself/And I swallowed my light/I tried to become all/That you expect of me/And if it was a failure/I don't give a (bleep)."

What could be Madonna's most personal lyrics yet created a buzz at the invite-only playback of the superstar's album by longtime press agent Liz Rosenberg Friday night at The Agency Group in New York, the New York Post reported.

While no printed lyrics were provided, Madonna sounds in a fighting mood on the new album. In a song titled Bang Bang, more Madonna rage, also perhaps directed at Ritchie, was on display.

Lyrics include, "Bang bang, shot you dead/Shot my lover in the head/Now my lover is dead/And I have no regrets/He deserved it/And I'm going straight to hell."

Madonna and Ritchie wed in 2000, and he reportedly got up to a $92 million settlement in their split. They share custody of sons Rocco and David Banda. Hinting at some acrimony, Ritchie told Details magazine in November, "I stepped into a soap opera."

But the MDNA album, due out March 26, does include some love, according to the Post. There's a dreamy song called Superstar, which includes vocals by Madonna's daughter Lourdes.

Rosenberg said, "I have not heard Madonna explain whether the lyrics are autobiographical or not. She doesn't often explain lyrics to her songs, and she did have a few writing collaborators. I can only confirm that the response from the music press who heard the album was really exciting. They seemed to love it."

This is not the first time the singer has touched on a failed relationship in her lyrics. Madonna's marriage to her first husband, Sean Penn, was the subject of the song Till Death Do Us Part from her 1989 album, Like A Prayer.

Madonna and the actor filed for divorce in January 1989, following several well-publicised fights, one of which led to a 60-day prison term for Penn.

Among the lyrics are, "The bruises they will fade away/You hit so hard with the things you say/I will not stay to watch your hate as it grows/You're not in love with someone else/You don't even love yourself."

I am saying this in the least cunty way possible I am just curious but...

how or why do you play Madonna songs in the classroom? Do you run in Ipod in hand and go HEY GUYS GUESS WHAT! NEW MADONNA LEAK! I mean... how does it fit GEOGRAPHY?

Again no offense, just curious.

No offence taken! If I were a Music teacher (which I'm not), I could quite legitimately play Madonna music to my class, couldn't I? :)

I never play Madonna music in the classroom. My interest in Madonna is well-known to my students, though, (as is my knowledge of contemporary music in general), so whenever Madonna does something new, many of them feel the need to share their opinion of it with me, to the extent that I'll get texts from students (both current and former) asking me if I've heard the latest news about Madonna (tour, new album, latest boyfriend etc.). Less welcome are the drunken calls from former students at 2am, excitedly shouting down the phone that they're at a club and thought of me when Madonna came on (complete with Madonna blaring away in the background) - still touching, though :)

So, in a nutshell, my students heard about new Madonna music, sought it out online and shared their opinion of it with me :) This isn't new, though. I remember a student telling me years ago that she really liked Madonna's new single, "Hollywood" :). Actually, that reminds me. The boyfriend of one of the girls who told me she liked GMAYL randomly mentioned last year that he really liked "Across The Sky". I asked him how he even knew about it and he said he'd come across it online.

From M Tribe

The official Interscope/Polydor album playback is happening in London wednesday and we're being told this is when full briefing will take place on promo/singles so I think there'll be more news then.

If anyone thinks that the people who dislike GGW is because they're old is a fucking MORON. We dislike it because it SUCKS. And the age argument is invalid anyway due to the fact that it was made by a 53 YEAR OLD.

Thank you - very kind of you to insult me like that :thumbsup:

All I was suggesting is that maybe Madonna is no longer making music that appeals to audiences of a certain age. I wasn't saying EVERYONE who dislikes her latest releases is old. Incidentally, it really is just YOUR personal opinion that GGW sucks. You can't speak for everyone else who dislikes it.

As for the age argument being invalid because of Madonna's own age, I don't agree. It's like saying that a 53 year old isn't capable of writing a children's book because they're not a child. Every artist/author has a target audience. Madonna is a pop artist. She's making music that generally appeals to younger people. Her own age is irrelevant. Even at 30, she was already older than the vast majority of her target audience. In general, people in their 30s and 40s don't tend to like pop music as much as younger people do. Note that I said "in general" and not "everyone".

Plus imagine if you are a songwriter, not really a Madonna fan and want to make the most money you can. Would you like to give your song to an artist that is going to record it as is or would you like to give it to someone who is going to change lyrics and bits and pieces to cater it to themselves and claim 50% songwriter royalties?

Decent points, but Madonna doesn't claim 50% royalties when she only changes bits and pieces of a song. She got 5% for JML, 5% for MATM, around 30% for OYH, 25% for all of the Timabland/Timberlake/Danja co-writes etc. etc. She only got a 25% cut of HU, because Benny and Bjorn insisted on a 50% cut themselves. Warner publishing has stopped making publishing splits available to the public, but until about three years ago, it was very easy to see what % of royalties Madonna had claimed for everything her name was attached to as a co-writer. "Revolver" was only on the database for a short amount of time before they stopped making the splits/% available, and one of the writers had a 5% split. That was probably Madonna, but now, it's impossible to know. On "Paradise", she claimed a 40% split (or it might have been 30% - I don't have access to the document I where I saved all of the splits - it definitely wasn't 50%, though).

If Madonna co-wrote anything with David Guetta, she'd be trashed even more than she is now. Incidentally, according to Sia (whose submission for consideration for MDNA weren't used), Katy Perry refuses to work with David Guetta, turning down "Titanium" and then "Wild Ones" (both of which Sia wrote the lyrics and melody for), because she "didn't want to work with Guetta or Flo Rida).

Guest Xanthium

Thank you - very kind of you to insult me like that :thumbsup:

All I was suggesting is that maybe Madonna is no longer making music that appeals to audiences of a certain age. I wasn't saying EVERYONE who dislikes her latest releases is old. Incidentally, it really is just YOUR personal opinion that GGW sucks. You can't speak for everyone else who dislikes it.

As for the age argument being invalid because of Madonna's own age, I don't agree. It's like saying that a 53 year old isn't capable of writing a children's book because they're not a child. Every artist/author has a target audience. Madonna is a pop artist. She's making music that generally appeals to younger people. Her own age is irrelevant. Even at 30, she was already older than the vast majority of her target audience. In general, people in their 30s and 40s don't tend to like pop music as much as younger people do. Note that I said "in general" and not "everyone".

Um, you still don't get it. Madonna's age is very relevant. In fact, it proves my point. You suggested that GGW is not appealing to an older crowd because it has a "youthful" sound and is targeting a younger demographic. But the song is made by AN OLDER PERSON who likes DANCE MUSIC! So that just shows that age has NOTHING to do with people disliking GGW. It has to do with QUALITY. I NEVER said older people don't like to dance, have fun, and listen to dance/pop music. And I'm not putting words in other people's mouths YET when I said "we" I was referring to the people who DISLIKE Girl Gone WIld. And if they dislike it then they most likely think it SUCKS. They're not gonna dislike it and think it's FABULOUS :manson:

Um, you still don't get it. Madonna's age is very relevant. In fact, it proves my point. You suggested that GGW is not appealing to an older crowd because it has a "youthful" sound and is targeting a younger demographic. But the song is made by AN OLDER PERSON who likes DANCE MUSIC! So that just shows that age has NOTHING to do with people disliking GGW. It has to do with QUALITY. I NEVER said older people don't like to dance, have fun, and listen to dance/pop music. And I'm not putting words in other people's mouths YET when I said "we" I was referring to the people who DISLIKE Girl Gone WIld. And if they dislike it then they most likely think it SUCKS. They're not gonna dislike it and think it's FABULOUS :manson:

I don't think I'm the one not "getting it". You're taking my point and morphing it into a different argument, which is fine, but not what I intended.

As I originally said, I think it's possible that some people have outgrown Madonna in that she no longer makes music for their particular demographic. You can't possibly say that this is absolutely NOT true and call me a "moron" for suggesting this (thanks again for that :thumbsup:), just as I can't possibly suggest that EVERYONE who dislikes the song does so because of any particular factor. This thread is full of people very loudly declaring their hatred for this vile, disgusting, heinous, substandard song, to the extent that the many who like it can barely get a word in edgewise. We get it - lots of people dislike the song. How about letting those of us who actually do like it enjoy it in peace?

Incidentally, you can dislike something, but not think it "SUCKS".

Guest Xanthium

I don't think I'm the one not "getting it". You're taking my point and morphing it into a different argument, which is fine, but not what I intended.

As I originally said, I think it's possible that some people have outgrown Madonna in that she no longer makes music for their particular demographic. You can't possibly say that this is absolutely NOT true and call me a "moron" for suggesting this (thanks again for that :thumbsup: ), just as I can't possibly suggest that EVERYONE who dislikes the song does so because of any particular factor. This thread is full of people very loudly declaring their hatred for this vile, disgusting, heinous, substandard song, to the extent that the many who like it can barely get a word in edgewise. We get it - lots of people dislike the song. How about letting those of us who actually do like it enjoy it in peace?

Incidentally, you can dislike something, but not think it "SUCKS".

The majority of people on this board do like GGW. I have no problem with that. I'm not raining on anybody's parade. If I am, they need some thicker skin. I have only stated how I do not like the song and I NEVER dissed ANYONE for liking GGW. I think it's great that people do. I love Jimmy Jimmy and I'm not gonna cry in my cheerios if people think I'm a dumbass for loving it. There's an entire thread dedicated to liking/loving GGW and I haven't stepped foot in there out of respect. The only things I have been arguing about are the judgements made against those who dislike the song. And all the people who do like the song have gotten plenty of words in edgewise. No one is silencing them. This is a discussion board for God's sake. We're discussing. And if you want to be left alone in peace why did you reply to my post in the first place? Did you not want me to respond?