MDNA Album Thread

Butter9

Guest bluejean

You can prove you're a sexual person in your 50's in much better ways. She should've showed them younger bitches how to do it all with CLASS.

My only objection to the single cover is that it's clearly photoshopped. I think if you're going to "show em" it's gotta be 100% real or you're not really proving anything. I mean we all know Madonna has a hot body but we've also seen that photo of the 'Give It 2 Me' cover pre photo shop with her wrinkly old stomach flopping about.

I can only speak for myself but I don't care about Madonna being CUTTING EDGE or RAW. I do want her to be personal in her lyrics but she always is to some extent so she's got that covered. When we get to fun pop songs what I don't understand is that someone in her position can have the CREAM of the crop of songs out there. I mean Rihanna and Britney's teams always get them the best stuff so I don't understand why Madonna has to settle for a song that would barely make it as an album tracks on their albums when she could get an absolute BARN STORMER if she's shopping for demos.

In this day and age,is it even possible for any artist to be "cutting edge or raw"? Everything has been done before,there is no more ground to break...especially in the dance music genre.You mentioned Rihanna and Britney,but I don't think their music is any more original,groundbreaking or cutting edge than GGW.They're *young* so naturally,they don't face the same obstacles that Madonna faces.

Guest Xanthium

LOL! I don't necessarily disagree with what you say. But I am open to the idea that she's is trying to make a "statement" aa well. After all, she's mentioned in interviews how she's sick of people bringing up her age as if that is to define who she is as an artist. So that definitely must play on her mind. Also, every few albums she tends to make a "fuck off" song to her critics or the media. From what I hear, she's got a song or two that touches those bases again along with some other experiences in being married and trying to play the role of a wife.

To me, Madonna strives to maintain her popularity in the mainstream pop world. This is why I feel she tends to seek out what is current if she isn't able to produce the latest trend herself. See some people tend to forget, Madonna isn't necessarily the artist who has invented the wheel, even since the 80's. She's just managed to take what was up and coming and make it her own. And when she reached "Vogue" status, she dipped back even further and brought something not very well known into the dance world and made it popular. When she released "Erotica", it was just an extension of her ever growing obsession to push boundaries regarding what society felt about exploring one's sexuality. It wasn't really til "Ray Of Light" that she went off the beaten path and produce something much more innovative. And ever since, a lot of fans tend to grasp on to that time as if she's been doing all along. Even after "Ray of Light", Madonna tried to create a new formula. Tried to be a little more innovative. I think she tried hard to do that with AMERICAN LIFE and while it was quite different to what we were used to hearing from her, it didn't pan out well for her. Confessions brought back some of the old school dance vibe with a mixture of electronica that was prevalent in RAY OF LIGHT, MUSIC and even explored in American Life. Then there was HARD CANDY which back tracked to her R&B interests, but jumping on the Timbaland bandwagon a bit too late.

Anyway, I am excited to see where she takes us with this new album. It sounds like an eclectic record. She's gone off the beaten path several times, which tends to divide fans anymore. So I can see that this may be an album where some will like one half of it better than the other. Of course, there will be fans who love it all. And unfortunately, some will probably hate it. Me... I'm enjoying the 30 year ride. It's been fun and I don't plan to get off anytime soon.

My real problem with the production in GGW is not that it's current, it's that it's stale, generic, and been done to death. I think Madonna has been living in her tower for so long that she thought THAT was what was hip these days. If she was going after current musical trends, why not go after the real hot shit? For God's sake, the bitch had M.I.A. in her studio! M.I.A.'s last album was amazing! The beats were fresh and hot as hell. Madonna had the perfect opportunity to collaborate with someone who is bringing great beats into the mainstream. And look at Sanitgold's new single "Big Mouth". The beats on that song are ON FIRE. I just don't know why Madonna felt like using a song that has production values that even David Guetta wouldn't touch anymore. Benny Benassi is a one trick pony. Yes, Satisfaction was amazing but hasn't he been using the same synth forever now?

If that's what she really wants to do, more power to her. But if she thinks it's 'what people want' I don't know. Underweardonna resurfaced right after the AL debacle along with her apparently constant desire to JUST DANCE.

imagine if she would put out a slower record with mid tempo and ballads only and go on stadium tour? :lol:

Arthur Vogel wouldn't be pleased..

As for the song - to be honest with you, I like the song but agree she could have gone for something with a more unique punch, but judging from what we've read, the rest the record isn't exactly what you'd call radio friendly. You can't fault the woman for playing it safe with her 1st and 2nd single. Turn Up The Radio sounds absolutely gorgeous but the theme of it pretty by-the-numbers. It makes sense for her to go with GIRL GONE WILD because it's Madonna.

The song itself isn't her best work ever, but it's far, FAR more memorable than Give It 2 Me in my opinion. It's inoffensive - like Celebration, but with a better hook. Guess we'll see what happens.

My real problem with the production in GGW is not that it's current, it's that it's stale, generic, and been done to death. I think Madonna has been living in her tower for so long that she thought THAT was what was hip these days. If she was going after current musical trends, why not go after the real hot shit? For God's sake, the bitch had M.I.A. in her studio! M.I.A.'s last album was amazing! The beats were fresh and hot as hell. Madonna had the perfect opportunity to collaborate with someone who is bringing great beats into the mainstream. And look at Sanitgold's new single "Big Mouth". The beats on that song are ON FIRE. I just don't know why Madonna felt like using a song that has production values that even David Guetta wouldn't touch anymore. Benny Benassi is a one trick pony. Yes, Satisfaction was amazing but hasn't he been using the same synth forever now?

Imagine Bad Girls middle eastern beat on Madonnas record? :bow:

Guest Xanthium

I think some of that is a little harsh. Yes she's in a bra and feather boa on the cover but at the same time - do you think Madonna thought her outfit for Vogue (Sticky & Sweet tour) was sexy? I really don't think she puts on these costumes as a means of titilation. She never really did, actually. The cone bra wasn't necessarily sexy - neither was the pink leotard or the wedding dress.

All I'm saying is that we shouldn't jump to the conclusion that Madonna is completely losing her marbles. It'd be one thing if she was doing these things and then being interviewed by Cynthia McFadden all in DENIAL about her age and getting defensive. Instead when it was brought up (once in 2008 and again 2 months ago) she owned it. I think she's well aware that people could call her disgusting for wearing these things at age 53, and she's not trying to convey any message with it, I think she's just proud of how she looks and we all know she likes to tie in an appropriate image to the music. She could have just put an outtake from the red MDNA dress for the single cover but what would be the fun in that?

You see, I think Madonna looked FABULOUS in the Vogue S&S outfit. Sexy but still age appropriate. I guess the bra in the GGW single cover is just way too much for me. She's just gonna get ripped to shreds. Yes, I may be acting a bit harsh and if I am it's because I love and respect this bitch so much. She's my #1 BITCH now and forever and it just makes me angry and frustrated when I think IMO that she is devaluing herself, her legacy, her artistry, and her music catalogue. Maybe I just need to cool off. I need a goddamn beer :lol:

You see, I think Madonna looked FABULOUS in the Vogue S&S outfit. Sexy but still age appropriate. I guess the bra in the GGW single cover is just way too much for me. She's just gonna get ripped to shreds. Yes, I may be acting a bit harsh and if I am it's because I love and respect this bitch so much. She's my #1 BITCH now and forever and it just makes me angry and frustrated when I think IMO that she is devaluing herself, her legacy, her artistry, and her music catalogue. Maybe I just need to cool off. I need a goddamn beer :lol:

OH NO I THINK YOU MAY BE OVER HER OMG PLEASE LEAVE

Guest bluejean

In this day and age,is it even possible for any artist to be "cutting edge or raw"?

Yes it is. It doesn't have to something completely brand new to be cutting edge, just unique to what is popular and ahead of the current trends.

Well, that's your opinion. You're entitled to it. I mean that with the best intentions. ;) And you're not the only who thinks that, but there are a lot of people who simply just don't look that deep into it... especially before hearing the full album. It doesn't make people "idiots" for just enjoying what's out there even if it's rehashed. I quite like the song! Obviously you prefer a little more substance to her music. At the same time, I do as well, but then again, we're talking about Madonna who started off her career with huge songs that really had nothing much to say, but "Dance, sing and get up and do your thing". I'm used to the idea that she goes both ways with music. Yes, she's tackled some controversial topics, but even then it was to keep current. Some people didn't like it then. In the end, it comes down to personal taste. I'm sure you'll have some favs from this new album. If not, this could be the beginning of the end. Or maybe it's just one album or two you not prefer. It's all subjective.

My only objection to the single cover is that it's clearly photoshopped. I think if you're going to "show em" it's gotta be 100% real or you're not really proving anything. I mean we all know Madonna has a hot body but we've also seen that photo of the 'Give It 2 Me' cover pre photo shop with her wrinkly old stomach flopping about.

Oh come on. There were terrible photographs and some looked like they HAD been edited. I mean, it seemed intentional that Madonna wasn't looking her best in them. Considering how many times Madonna has been photographed (even candidly) there really aren't THAT many bad results. She's a gorgeous human being.

In this day and age,is it even possible for any artist to be "cutting edge or raw"? Everything has been done before,there is no more ground to break...especially in the dance music genre.You mentioned Rihanna and Britney,but I don't think their music is any more original,groundbreaking or cutting edge than GGW.They're *young* so naturally,they don't face the same obstacles that Madonna faces.

I don't know if one can be cutting edge or raw, it's not what interests me in music. But when I compare Til The World Ends or We Found Love to GGW I find them a lot more instant, pounding, anthemic and satisfying than GGW in terms of popular radio friendly music. If THAT'S what she wants to do why not go after people that do THAT instead of a one trick pony from 2001 like Xanthie said.

I know, GO TO BRITNEY FORUMS HAHAHA

Yes it is. It doesn't have to something completely brand new to be cutting edge, just unique to what is popular and ahead of the current trends.

Such as? Hungarian folk music? 24 minute baroque infused with techno synth sounds? Seriously. Like what?

Guest Xanthium

As for the song - to be honest with you, I like the song but agree she could have gone for something with a more unique punch, but judging from what we've read, the rest the record isn't exactly what you'd call radio friendly. You can't fault the woman for playing it safe with her 1st and 2nd single. Turn Up The Radio sounds absolutely gorgeous but the theme of it pretty by-the-numbers. It makes sense for her to go with GIRL GONE WILD because it's Madonna.

The song itself isn't her best work ever, but it's far, FAR more memorable than Give It 2 Me in my opinion. It's inoffensive - like Celebration, but with a better hook. Guess we'll see what happens.

I love Give It 2 Me. I didn't realize how hated it was until recently :lol:

My problem with GMAYL and GGW is not that the sounds aren't unique, it's because they're weak. Yes I would love for Madonna to work with people like Santigold and M.I.A. (or at least their producers) to be fresh and cutting edge for mainstream pop music but I would've been also happy with tight pop songs with great melodies. I'll use Britney's last album (which is a FABULOUS pop record) as an example. It's not cutting edge in the least but it has great pop production and awesome melodies and hooks. GGW has NONE of that. GMAYL is better I will admit. I like the production, it's got a hook and a melody but it is NOT 1st single material in any way shape or form. It's a good B-Side.

When fans talk about other artists who are supposedly making bold,groundbreaking music,I just laugh.Seriously,I don't hear much innovation these days.Rihanna,Britney and even Lady Gaga aren't doing anything special.It's just that they're young,so that's why their music gets more attention/sales/airplay than Madonna's,but let's not act like they have some "secret formula" that Madonna is somehow missing out on.

When fans talk about other artists who are supposedly making bold,groundbreaking music,I just laugh.Seriously,I don't hear much innovation these days.Rihanna,Britney and even Lady Gaga aren't doing anything special.It's just that they're young,so that's why their music gets more attention/sales/airplay than Madonna's,but let's not act like they have some "secret formula" that Madonna is somehow missing out on.

Er, no one said that?

Do you think Madonna wants to prance around in underwear or feels like it's an image people associate with her and it's somehow 'expected'?

I think it's the part she plays as a pop star, like a costume. Plus she works hard to be in great shape, if she can pull off looking great I don't see why not...? But I've always seen this sort of stuff as part of the Madonna product, I don't think all women should be in their bras on their single covers etc but at the same time I enjoy my Madonna that way.

Guest bluejean

I think IMO that she is devaluing herself, her legacy, her artistry, and her music catalogue

:lol: Calm down.

Look at Jacko, he re-released Thriller complete with remakes by Kayne West, Fergie and Akon. Elvis got ridiculously fat and went on stage sweating and panting. Nothing can kill Madonna's legacy in the longterm.

LOL! With all due respect, I do have to laugh when we're talking about a woman who spent a whole album and a book on what many people considered the same. I'm not saying I agree, but where was that concern when she released the "SEX" book. Sure, we all can debate that it's not simply "devaluing herself..." and so on, but what she's doing today is nothing. I feel what she's doing anymore today is embracing her age and showing off how great a 50 year old can still look. After all, it's all in entertainment. It's not like she parades around the street that way. She knows sexuality sells in music. Just like she knows how she should dress when promoting a film or a children's book. Why are you buying into what society has set for women who age and how they should act and dress? Who made these rules?

Er, no one said that?

No one said it in those *exact* words,but someone else mentioned M.I.A and another artist,asking why Madonna can't get similiar sounds for her album.I'm saying that,truhtfully,other artists' music isn't any more groundbreaking or unique than what Madonna is doing.

LOL! With all due respect, I do have to laugh when we're talking about a woman who spend a whole album and a book on what many people considered the same. I'm not saying I agree, but where was that concern when she released the "SEX" book. Sure, we all can debate that it's not simply "devaluing herself..." and so on, but what she's doing today is nothing. I feel what she's doing anymore today is embracing her age and showing off how great a 50 year old can still look. After all, it's all in entertainment. It's not like she parades around the street that way. She knows sexuality sells in music. Just like she knows how she should dress when promoting a film or a children's book. Why are you buying into what society has set for women who age and how they should act and dress? Who made these rules?

But she's not SUBVERTING the rules, she's OBEYING them. I can see that argument being made about the Hard Candy era when she was very aggressive with her sexuality and outfits but these new shots are very traditional glamour shots.

:lol: Calm down.

Look at Jacko, he re-released Thriller complete with remakes by Kayne West, Fergie and Akon. Elvis got ridiculously fat and went on stage sweating and panting. Nothing can kill Madonna's legacy in the longterm.

THANK YOU

Guest Xanthium

LOL! With all due respect, I do have to laugh when we're talking about a woman who spend a whole album and a book on what many people considered the same. I'm not saying I agree, but where was that concern when she released the "SEX" book. Sure, we all can debate that it's not simply "devaluing herself..." and so on, but what she's doing today is nothing. I feel what she's doing anymore today is embracing her age and showing off how great a 50 year old can still look. After all, it's all in entertainment. It's not like she parades around the street that way. She knows sexuality sells in music. Just like she knows how she should dress when promoting a film or a children's book. Why are you buying into what society has set for women who age and how they should act and dress? Who made these rules?

I said earlier that it's not Madonna being sexual that I have a problem with, it's the KIND of sexuality she's employing: the 53 year old cougar who wears Agent Provocateur and dances in the club drinking Tanqueray. To me, it just comes off as desperate. If you want to change the game and be taken seriously then it's best to avoid being a laughing stock. Madonna obviously wants to change peoples minds and open their eyes to women being sexual in their 50's. But she's not doing it intelligently or in a way that people would actually take a minute to think about her point of view. They listen to the lyrics to GGW and see the single cover and just get grossed out. She has 4 kids now. When she made Sex and Erotica she was 20 years younger and had no kids. Completely different ball game.

Guest bluejean

I love Give It 2 Me. I didn't realize how hated it was until recently :lol:

Me neither. I remember everyone wetting themselves when it 1st leaked. I guess once a song isn't a big hit people stop liking it.

Guest Xanthium

No one said it in those *exact* words,but someone else mentioned M.I.A and another artist,asking why Madonna can't get similiar sounds for her album.I'm saying that,truhtfully,other artists' music isn't any more groundbreaking or unique than what Madonna is doing.

When I said groundbreaking and unique sounds for mainstream pop music, I said M.I.A. and Santigold. I NEVER said Rihanna, Lady Gaga or Katy Perry. I don't think they're groundbreaking or unique musically at all. Well I think Lady Gaga has brought the harder beats of European dance music to the mainstream in a way that's refreshing. I do love how she's not afraid to employ hard beats in her songs, especially singles. Usually dance music for the mainstream is softer and gentler.