'Masterpiece' - official next single in the UK? The shambles continue...

Titty

I'm always shocked at fans defending the idea of touring as a way to make more money. Madonna is FULL of money and could solve the EU credit problems with her fortune. So it's incredible that some people think it's logic to put your efforts in the tour instead of selling albums: if you don't need the money, it's far better to be very selective in which tracks you pen, which tracks you sing and what you relase!

I'm always shocked at fans defending the idea of touring as a way to make more money. Madonna is FULL of money and could solve the EU credit problems with her fortune. So it's incredible that some people think it's logic to put your efforts in the tour instead of selling albums: if you don't need the money, it's far better to be very selective in which tracks you pen, which tracks you sing and what you relase!

It's not only about Madonna personally making money. This is part of her recording contract. It's essentially part of her 'job description' to be generating money for the label. Why do you think she got a $60 million recording deal? To record avant-garde albums and play at the Jazz Cafe?

"Madonna" is a business above and beyond her music. Always has been and always will be. The Madonna brand has now adapted to the current music business landscape and that is to maximise profits by touring since albums and singles hardly make any money. End of.

I'm always shocked at fans defending the idea of touring as a way to make more money. Madonna is FULL of money and could solve the EU credit problems with her fortune. So it's incredible that some people think it's logic to put your efforts in the tour instead of selling albums: if you don't need the money, it's far better to be very selective in which tracks you pen, which tracks you sing and what you release!

Madonna still gives us amazing music! The problem is,the music business isn't what it used to be.It's very difficult for her to get airplay because of her age and then there is illegal downloading,which cuts into album sales.That's why she mostly focuses on touring.And who says that she doesn't "need the money"? Yes,she is filthy rich but she still has bills to pay,just like anyone else.She has four children,you know ;)

She said herself that she wanted to focus all her serious creativeness to W.E (Iron Lady interview). And make a simple and fun dance record after filming. Hence hired Solveig to "puts a smile on everyones faces".

She also said herself that she needs to tour to make another film (UK tv interview). No one else is going to finance it anyway.

I think her biggest goal is to succeed in directing movies and her music career is serving the goal..im sure she is making sure that this Tour is a success.

Its nothing to do with fans not liking her movie making. It's just that she isn't very good at it. If she had hired a scriptwriter for W.E it may have

turned out differently. The dialogue and story in W.E was just bad. Sorry, I have been a fan for 30 years and parts of it were just

awkward to watch. I tried to like it, honest.

Then why do you care if this has nothing to do with fans "liking her movie making"? I never thought she was trying to appeal to her fans with this movie. In fact, I never thought the same of her Children books either. I always thought she was working on something she was passionate about. Hopefully to attract a whole different fan base.

Sometimes, things we are passionate about, don't resonate with a lot of people. I disagree that "dialogue and story" was bad. I think what we have here is the fact since it didn't get accepted in the mainstream, fans jump on the band wagon and call it 'awful' or what not. Her die hard fans of her music seem to think that whatever she does other than music must appeal to them also. That's ridiculous. It's like forcing your best friend to like EVERYTHING you like to do. That's just not realistic. I knew Madonna from the start was more about just making music. It's always going to be her main focus, but she's going to always do other things as she always have in between. You don't have to like it, but you shouldn't "wish" her to stop making films or any other endeavor she chooses to do. Do you stop doing things you are passionate about if someone else doesn't like it or think you're not as successful at it?

Where do you think she's been getting the bulk of her money this past decade?? TOURING! In fact, that's what the bulk of her latest contract with LIVE NATION is all about... touring. Touring isn't this idea to make her more money. It is what makes her money anymore. But to tour, it's always best to have new material. As others said, times have changed, so she no longer can count on making money from just her albums. And for most artists, especially those who aren't commercially assessable as Madonna used to be, they rely on their albums to draw fans to their concerts to make money. In most cases, record companies front money to their artists to make their records if not video In return, the sales of the records go back to the record company. And I suspect for a lot of artists, they have give a percentage of their touring profits to pay back what they owe to the record companies.

Guest bluejean

if you don't need the money, it's far better to be very selective in which tracks you pen, which tracks you sing and what you relase!

Maybe she is being selective but you just don't see it that way because of your own personal opinion about the music.

And this whole "she's just making albums to support the tour" argument is such a load of crap. She doesn't NEED new music to do a tour, she could tour off her back catalogue forever. She signed on to do more albums because she wanted to. She loves making music and she loves performing new songs. Of course there is added drive and passion when it comes to filmmaking because she hasn't been succeeding in that for 30 years already. It's a new and exciting challenge for her. She did not literally mean she's only touring to fund her films either. People are hanging onto that one sentence when she has said a whole lot more about it. She said music is her first love and that she still loves doing it.

Guest bluejean

She said herself that she wanted to focus all her serious creativeness to W.E (Iron Lady interview). And make a simple and fun dance record after filming. Hence hired Solveig to "puts a smile on everyones faces".

I don't think it was quite like that. It was more that she HAD ALREADY focused all her serious creativeness on W.E. so when it came time to making an album she just wanted to let loose and have fun. A sense of fun can inspire great music.

You're kind of twisting it to make it seem like it was pre planned that way, that she's taking her filmmaking career more seriously than music. But that's not what was meant.

Guest bluejean

Chances she might shoot a music video for Masterpiece even if it like You Must Love Me.

But hasn't the film already been and gone? Would there be much point in that?

Chances she might shoot a music video for Masterpiece even if it like You Must Love Me.

Sorry but no chance in hell that will happen. If they felt like it they could do a W.E clips video but even something well done would have little to no impact.

Maybe she is being selective but you just don't see it that way because of your own personal opinion about the music.

And this whole "she's just making albums to support the tour" argument is such a load of crap. She doesn't NEED new music to do a tour, she could tour off her back catalogue forever. She signed on to do more albums because she wanted to. She loves making music and she loves performing new songs. Of course there is added drive and passion when it comes to filmmaking because she hasn't been succeeding in that for 30 years already. It's a new and exciting challenge for her. She did not literally mean she's only touring to fund her films either. People are hanging onto that one sentence when she has said a whole lot more about it. She said music is her first love and that she still loves doing it.

I actually agree. She can tour from old songs, but Madonna isn't that sort of an artist. I stated above, it's better to tour with new music. This idea that she must include old songs in every tour is nonsense. She doesn't have to do that. Though, most artists do include some old songs anyway. We all know she hates bringing back songs like "Like A Virgin" and "Material Girl". I'm sure there are plenty of others. I get the impression she's tired of "Holiday" and probably "Vogue".

All in all, tours are supposed to be based on the latest album release from artists. That's how it always used to be. One will make an album and to promote it, they will go out and perform songs from it, in hopes to sell more. That doesn't seem to be the case anymore unless your a lesser known band or artist who isn't as assessable and mainstream as Madonna.

Guest bluejean

This idea that she must include old songs in every tour is nonsense. She doesn't have to do that.

Er, she kind of does. Although I'd pay money to see the reactions on here if the 'Madonna Tour' was just Hard Candy and MDNA songs :lmao: Maybe throw Hung Up and Music at the end as the oldies but goodies.

I get the impression she's tired of "Holiday" and probably "Vogue".

From where?

Er, she kind of does. Although I'd pay money to see the reactions on here if the 'Madonna Tour' was just Hard Candy and MDNA songs :lmao: Maybe throw Hung Up and Music at the end as the oldies but goodies.

DWT was the closest to that (but then she had 3 albums to tour) and that was GLORIOUS.

From where?

I'm assuming about "Vogue"... since she's performed it a lot this past decade. Though, I wouldn't be surprised if she left it off the tour set list this time around.

And why do you think she "kind of" have to bring back the old songs? She doesn't have to do any of that. If she wanted to, she could simply tour from this new album and maybe from the last two albums. I'm not saying that it's a good idea, but she has enough good material to perform on tour without even dipping in the 80's vault. And since she's pretty much selling tickets to the shows before she has even began rehearsing the tour, she pretty much can do what she wants. Most of her tours set list tend to rely heavy on the latest album that was released.

hahahaha, oh dear, it would be.... interesting. Imagine having all those HC songs mixed by Solveig and these people???? Now, i wouldn't mind THAT

*falls into gay comma thinking of She's Not Me mixed by Benassi**

Guest bluejean

DWT was the closest to that (but then she had 3 albums to tour) and that was GLORIOUS.

Yes it was. There's abit of difference between Hard Candy and Ray of Light or Music though.

Yes you're right

Guest bluejean

I'm assuming about "Vogue"... since she's performed it a lot this past decade. Though, I wouldn't be surprised if she left it off the tour set list this time around.

I bet you 50 bucks cash she performs 'Vogue' this tour.

I'm not saying that it's a good idea

It isn't a good idea. And its not going to happen, there's already been mention of Madonna doing her "hits" in this current tour. She can do whatever she wants, you're right. But if she wants to remain a big touring act she's got to do some hits. DWT was different because her current music was way more popular and she hadn't toured in ages.

Hardly, I'm going to take that bet since I was shocked she toured with "La Isla Bonita" so many times. But I still don't know why you think you are sooo sure she'll perform this song on tour. Is it because she performed it at the SUPERBOWL? I wouldn't count on it based on that idea. I could easily counter that argument based on the fact, she's performed that song every other tour this past decade. This would be the tour she wouldn't. But again, no one can be sure until the set list is revealed.

It isn't a good idea. And its not going to happen, there's already been mention of Madonna doing her "hits" in this current tour. She can do whatever she wants, you're right. But if she wants to remain a big touring act she's got to do some hits. DWT was different because her current music was way more popular and she hadn't toured in ages.

Nah, I think she could easily pull off a tour this time around without pulling out the old hits... at least from the 80's.

So could their be a Masterpiece / GGW double A side? Someone just posted in another thread a review of GGW on digitalspy that it is being released on 2nd April.

I'm really unsure about what to make of this. I really don't want Masterpiece to be a UK single, why not release another balled from the album instead; theres Love Spent and Falling Free to consider. Or maybe this is after all just a promo single?

Guest groovyguy

It's not about making albums to support the tour. But because her focus is on the tour, she's making songs that she's passionate about performing on her tour.

I'm with you on that.

Yes . I keep forgetting that before DW her last tour was The Girlie Show ! I remembered in London fans queue up for hours to buy Ray of Light at Virgin Megastores !