'Masterpiece' - official next single in the UK? The shambles continue...

Titty

I do wonder... I hate living in "What if" scenarios.. but..

What if "Masterpiece" was given the push as the first single from the album right from the outset (a la "Live to Tell") in the UK: with a simple, similar video - just Madonna, singing and looking demure against footage from the film. What if "Give me All Your Luvin'" was actually never even released to UK iTunes.

It may have gone UK Top 5 and this hysteria around a first Madonna single shockingly flopping in such a horrible way would probably never have happened.

:(

So this will be considered a proper single then? A 2nd or 3rd since theres no news on a UK release for GGW yet?

The whole thing smacks of 'damage control' if you ask me. It's obvious that GMAYL did not strike a chord with her UK audience and I think the label can see that GGW will have a similar fate. The UK audience at the moment seem to be starved for a Madonna ballad. This is all very last-minute but I can see their rationale. I don't think it will work in the sense of it becoming a smash hit or anything, but if it gets solid Radio 2 support it may go Top 20. :(

The whole thing smacks of 'damage control' if you ask me. It's obvious that GMAYL did not strike a chord with her UK audience and I think the label can see that GGW will have a similar fate. The UK audience at the moment seem to be starved for a Madonna ballad. This is all very last-minute but I can see their rationale. I don't think it will work in the sense of it becoming a smash hit or anything, but if it gets solid Radio 2 support it may go Top 20. :(

Completely agree.

It's all very nice, but shouldn't it have happened around the WE era, to promote the film, with a video featuring clips from the film etc.? Seems a little redundant now.

OH WELL

I am not sure I understand this marketing campaign, but releasing "Masterpiece" to radio cannot hurt. It will also be nice for this little gem to get some attention. I still say it should've been a single for W.E. back in January/February.

I don't think it was necessarily planned. I think they had noticed the interest, so they went with it. It happens. Also, I'm thinking they are going to try to tie it into W.E. video release which is due May 1st.

I am not sure I understand this marketing campaign, but releasing "Masterpiece" to radio cannot hurt. It will also be nice for this little gem to get some attention. I still say it should've been a single for W.E. back in January/February.

+1

or even Christmas..

Id say whole world was ready for a Madonna ballad. Ideally Masterpiece would have been a worldwide single around Christmas 2011..

Masterpiece is record of the week on Radio 2..

As you can see from the rest of the playlist the Radio 2 listeners are not very discerning. However it is one of the most listened to stations in the UK - it's demographic is 40+ to 70.

Hardly. They may not be the hippest, but at least most of that is new music and new artists. And surely the youth demo is out of the question anyway. I listen to Radio 2, Radio 1 is unlistenable these days as well as having vile DJs like that fat cunt Chris Moyles.

Doesn't Radio 2 actually have a bigger audience than Radio 1? I may be mistaken but I think that's how it is in the end.

If "Masterpiece" gets A-listed on Radio 2 (unlikely) that would be great.

I do wonder whether it will even be released as an individual track on iTunes - at the moment you can only buy it as part of the W.E. album bundle or, of course, with MDNA.

It's just all so shambolic. Do they want to maximise album sales or do they want Madonna to have a decent chart entry with "Masterpiece"? I don't think they know what they're doing really. And yes, Warner would have handled this differently from the outset. I would have just pushed for "Masterpiece" as a proper single in Europe and GMAYL as a U.S.-only Superbowl type release and divided the video budget between the two.

Doesn't Radio 2 actually have a bigger audience than Radio 1? I may be mistaken but I think that's how it is in the end.

I do wonder whether it will even be released as an individual track on iTunes - at the moment you can only buy it as part of the W.E. album bundle or, of course, with MDNA.

It's just all so shambolic. Do they want to maximise album sales or do they want Madonna to have a decent chart entry with "Masterpiece"? I don't think they know what they're doing really. And yes, Warner would have handled this differently from the outset. I would have just pushed for "Masterpiece" as a proper single in Europe and GMAYL as a U.S.-only Superbowl type release and divided the video budget between the two.

Well this is how it's gonna b now, She doesn't have a traditional record company contract in sense that there is A&R or a defined strategy/continuous evaluation...from the moment she starts recording till she shoots her 1st video...

READ:

http://www.musicthinktank.com/blog/is-ar-still-necessary-in-todays-music-industry.html

Interesting article, acko. Particularly this quote:

Somewhere around 500,000 units is usually the break-even point for most standard recording agreements.

Which really explains a lot. The primary source of Madonna as a 'money making' artist is her touring - end of. All this pre-order hype for MDNA exists to make sure she will "break even" with the album sales, as in they won't lose money. That's really all that matters as far as the album itself is concerned.

So here is how it's going to go for the album: it will open with around 200-250K (US) and enter at Number 1 in over 30 countries. This "achievement" will form the basis of all future press releases. The album will then fall sharply off the face of all world charts - but that won't really matter because she'll have "broken even" in that department and by then the tour will be in swing and that's where the money will be generated.

Notice how she has cleverly never used the "best-selling female artist of all time" thing which has now spectacularly backfired on the likes of Mariah Carey because album sales just don't matter anymore and before anyone starts shoving ADELE down our throats, everyone knows that's a one-off. Her machinery is pushing her as the "most successful female artist" of all time which is just far more clever.

Esther really is more clever than everyone combined :rotfl:

I'm concerned that's the best they could do with the first THREE singles. Unless they're doing the Thriller release the worst single first strategy to build buzz.

:lmao: Not the buzz word again.

This campaign is a MESS. Do they even have a stratergy? Like Suedehead said GMYAL should have been released in the US.

Masterpiece in Europe then GGW in both Europe and US. How much of a hand has Madonna had in the

decision making?

Exactly. And upon album release, push a worldwide 1rst single.

But it didn't happen that way so let's all just get over it. So much for wishful thinking...

No, US were starving a ballad too..(look Adele) Id say Masterpiece 1st last year worldwide,

then GMAYL for US and GGW for Europe and Africa etc. And release GGW in US too after GMAYL..

I bet release singles is a fight between Madonna, Guy, Interscope and Live Nation..and Madonna just wants to dance. (oh forgot Lola)

What happened to remixes of new songs being played in clubs. I remember HU and 4M remixes being played in the clubs

weeks before they were released to radio and i tunes. This time nothing.

Guest groovyguy

Esther really is more clever than everyone combined :rotfl:

While everyone else is gung ho about the charts, Esther is focusing on the $$$! Why concentrate on making $8 millions selling records when you can make $400 millions touring? Look at S&S tour. Just 2 shows in Las Vegas generated more than $8 millions.

There is just such an air of apathy about her in the UK at the moment. Even W.E. didn't do much!

Darling WE hasn't done much ANYWHERE. I wish she would put film making behind her and concentrate on

the music. She should considering directing music videos. She probably be quite good, I mean

afterall they are 3-4 mins long.

While everyone else is gung ho about the charts, Esther is focusing on the $$$! Why concentrate on making $8 millions selling records when you can make $400 millions touring? Look at S&S tour. Just 2 shows in Las Vegas generated more than $8 millions.

Exactly.At the end of the year when she's counting how much money she made on tour,I don't think it will matter how any of the singles did on the charts.

Darling WE hasn't done much ANYWHERE. I wish she would put film making behind her and concentrate on

the her music. She should considering directing music videos. She probably be quite good, I mean

afterall they are 3-4 mins long.

WHY can't she do both? Make movies and music. After all, that's what she's been doing since she started. Granted, it hasn't been as successful as music, but do you stop doing things you love to do, just because it isn't your main bread and butter? No. We all have other interests we like to pursue. Let her do the same. It isn't like she's absent from the music world for long periods of times. Even between albums, she still gives us offerings. Just because some fans don't like it, doesn't mean she doesn't still "concentrate" on music.

Releasing Masterpiece as a single is a waste of time.

A decent song, like Miles Away, but no crossover potential.

She sings it nicely despite some trite lyrics. As a radio feature, great. As a proper single, no way.

WHY can't she do both? Make movies and music. After all, that's what she's been doing since she started. Granted, it hasn't been as successful as music, but do you stop doing things you love to do, just because it isn't your main bread and butter? No. We all have other interests we like to pursue. Let her do the same. It isn't like she's absent from the music world for long periods of times. Even between albums, she still gives us offerings. Just because some fans don't like it, doesn't mean she doesn't still "concentrate" on music.

Its nothing to do with fans not liking her movie making. It's just that she isn't very good at it. If she had hired a scriptwriter for W.E it may have

turned out differently. The dialogue and story in W.E was just bad. Sorry, I have been a fan for 30 years and parts of it were just

awkward to watch. I tried to like it, honest.

Releasing Masterpiece as a single is a waste of time.

A decent song, like Miles Away, but no crossover potential.

She sings it nicely despite some trite lyrics. As a radio feature, great. As a proper single, no way.

Won't they missed the boat a bit releasing Masterpiece on April 2nd. Most people will have it

already on the album. I can't see it doing much in the charts its ok as an album track

but as a single the production is a bit weak.