"Give Me All Your Luvin' " Theme Discussion

HolidayGuy

My friend who is a casual Madonna fan also HATES this song with a passion like many here do. I just don't understand how it can be THAT offensive to someone...lol. The cheerleading is a little dorky but honestly, the lyrics don't bother me they are typical pop song lyrics if you ask me. As with most things Madonna though, I do think HG's interpretation holds some weight especially when you place the lyrics/SB performance/video and tour performance together.

Because that song is too young for Madonna?

Because that song is too young for Madonna?

Idk...maybe, but if we are going to place those kind of boundaries on her then there are many many songs she's done the past 10-15 years that have been "too young" for her. I stand by this statement: if Hung Up hadn't become the behemoth hit it became, it would be viewed the same way as GMAYL. Likewise, if GMAYL had become the monster hit HU was, it wouldn't be as hated as it is now. Lyrically, those songs are on the same level. HU is just on of MANY examples of songs where Madonna wasn't "acting her age".......whatever that means anyways.

The whole ageist thing really gets to me. It's not like she was singing about being in high school or college. GMAYL is just a song about Love mixed in with a cheerleading theme, how is this inappropriate for her age?

The whole ageist thing really gets to me. It's not like she was singing about being in high school or college. GMAYL is just a song about Love mixed in with a cheerleading theme, how is this inappropriate for her age?

Because she's 53 and cheerleaders are normally in their teens. Let's all be honest, if this was Cher, Tina Turner, Celine Dion or another woman around that age, they'd be ripped to shreds on these boards for doing the same thing.

A song about love, Draco? Uh, yea... sure... :gent:

You should know Madonna better than that- it very well may be her musical retort to the whole BTW/EY debacle. Nicki's in there to throw the general public off guard with her "be-my-boy-toy" rap, but, otherwise, it fits pretty well with that theme (also perhaps with wannabes in general).

And the cheerleading sections fit well with the Super Bowl- did she have an idea that she would be doing the SB when she was working on the track? Who knows.

Because she's 53 and cheerleaders are normally in their teens. Let's all be honest, if this was Cher, Tina Turner, Celine Dion or another woman around that age, they'd be ripped to shreds on these boards for doing the same thing.

Let's face it though, we'd make fun of them for A LOT of things Madonna does. Celine Dion prancing around in a pink leotard and humping a boombox?? Cher doing that? TINA TURNER?!? LOL. In fact I think we would make fun of these particular artists doing some of things Madonna did in her 20's and 30's. ONLY Madonna can get away with certain things and that's just the way it is and has always been.

All this fuss about Madonna playing the part of a cheerleader and throughout that song and video SHE is actually never the "cheerleader". Even in the MDNA tour version she is a majorette. I guess the closest she came was SB performance when she actually had a pair of pom poms in her hand but she certainly wasn't dressed like a cheerleader. The cheerleaders are all cheering for HER....which somehow seems VERY Madonna to me.

Let's face it though, we'd make fun of them for A LOT of things Madonna does. Celine Dion prancing around in a pink leotard and humping a boombox?? Cher doing that? TINA TURNER?!? LOL. In fact I think we would make fun of these particular artists doing some of things Madonna did in her 20's and 30's. ONLY Madonna can get away with certain things and that's just the way it is and has always been.

All this fuss about Madonna playing the part of a cheerleader and throughout that song and video SHE is actually never the "cheerleader". Even in the MDNA tour version she is a majorette. I guess the closest she came was SB performance when she actually had a pair of pom poms in her hand but she certainly wasn't dressed like a cheerleader. The cheerleaders are all cheering for HER....which somehow seems VERY Madonna to me.

Can she get away with it though? Look at the singles - they bombed. We may run with it but the general public didn't. Are we any different to the sad 'little munsters' who think that what GaGa does is 'art' or the wacko Jackson fans who think he is this massive creative talent!??! :laugh:

Can she get away with it though? Look at the singles - they bombed. We may run with it but the general public didn't. Are we any different to the sad 'little munsters' who think that what GaGa does is 'art' or the wacko Jackson fans who think he is this massive creative talent!??! :laugh:

Well, I don't think anyone here is claiming GMAYL to be a peak of her talents by any means. Like almost everything she does though, I don't think she did the song "just because" there is most likely a reason or another meaning for the way she presents it and where it's placed in the MDNA tour set list. That doesn't make it brilliant, innovative, state of the art pop music either.

GMAYL may have underperformed by the standards of a lead Madonna single but it wasn't a total flop either. Overall, I'd say it was a moderate hit. There's going to be very little that the general public let's her get away with as she gets older and older. Her second singles despite the quality, haven't been performing as they "should" for many many years now. In the US it's been over a decade since she's had a second single even reach the top 40. More "moderate" success for even her first singles is inevitable at some point, that's just how it is. She's released so many "good" radio friendly songs that have flopped since 2001 and it can't be because ALL those songs were "bad" or not age appropriate.

Isn't being a pop star at age 54 "age inappropriate" in itself?

And, it's a fun track/video. :)

It's about as fun as watching a 10 hour documentary about World War II, if that's what you mean by "fun". Nothingf worse than forced fun, so joyless. :no:

The video well that is more fun yes, it looks good at least.. highly disposable though, of course.

Sure the video isn't an artistic coup, but it's cute/sexy/funny... kinda like Beautiful Stranger meets Music.

Well 2 me it looks like a beautiful picture that has been airbrushed 2 much. The above stated I prefer.

Well, I don't think anyone here is claiming GMAYL to be a peak of her talents by any means. Like almost everything she does though, I don't think she did the song "just because" there is most likely a reason or another meaning for the way she presents it and where it's placed in the MDNA tour set list. That doesn't make it brilliant, innovative, state of the art pop music either.

GMAYL may have underperformed by the standards of a lead Madonna single but it wasn't a total flop either. Overall, I'd say it was a moderate hit. There's going to be very little that the general public let's her get away with as she gets older and older. Her second singles despite the quality, haven't been performing as they "should" for many many years now. In the US it's been over a decade since she's had a second single even reach the top 40. More "moderate" success for even her first singles is inevitable at some point, that's just how it is. She's released so many "good" radio friendly songs that have flopped since 2001 and it can't be because ALL those songs were "bad" or not age appropriate.

Isn't being a pop star at age 54 "age inappropriate" in itself?

Not now, no. Tina Turner blew that away and the Rolling Stones, Cher, Bruce Springsteen, Elton John, Paul McCartney way before Madonna was breaking out the Tena lady....

I am playing devil's advocate here as I do think it's more because of who Madonna is that she get's grief. Her continued success annoys a lot of people. But I'm also aware that we are Madonna's little munsters who will defend her the way all the other pop hags have their hangers on. We're no different.

And actually, I love the GMAYL video. I think it's great - fun, striking, sexy etc and I've grown to really like the song too, more than the other singles from the album.

Not now, no. Tina Turner blew that away and the Rolling Stones, Cher, Bruce Springsteen, Elton John, Paul McCartney way before Madonna was breaking out the Tena lady....

I am playing devil's advocate here as I do think it's more because of who Madonna is that she get's grief. Her continued success annoys a lot of people. But I'm also aware that we are Madonna's little munsters who will defend her the way all the other pop hags have their hangers on. We're no different.

And actually, I love the GMAYL video. I think it's great - fun, striking, sexy etc and I've grown to really like the song too, more than the other singles from the album.

I wouldn't consider any of the above mentioned acts a "pop star" like Madonna is though. I truly think she's writing the book that the others will later use on how to "be a successful pop star into your 50's". Cher would be the closest I suppose but her music career is so very spotty in terms of it's success. She's also arguably more successful as an actress than a singer. Idk...she's just always seemed like more of an all around entertainer to me. But to play devil's advocate as well, just say they are in the same "pop star" category as Madonna, by the time all of those acts were in their 50's, their hits were very spotty.

I agree that it's partly because of who she is that she gets a hard time. Most of the acts you mentioned above are known as "real musicians" or "real singers" or even "real actress". :) You will rarely hear of someone debating whether Elton John or Bruce Springsteen have talent. But Madonna is "just" a dance/pop star and has her hits crafted for her. She just surrounds herself with the right people and is lucky.....is what some would say. It's amazing that after 30 years people still actually think that. Of course we defend her the same as the lambs or monsters but REALLY she IS better and she IS the trailblazer for all the bitches so.... :lol:

I can see how some could dislike the song but that video is one of the best she's had in years. She's SMOKIN HOT and it's just unpretentious fun, which is something we hadn't seen from her in a while in a video.

Madonna is without a doubt the first of her kind to tread this path. Madonna and Michael Jackson created the superstar pop model that has been reproduced ever since, and now she is literally paving the way in her 50's completely alone.

Madonna is without a doubt the first of her kind to tread this path. Madonna and Michael Jackson created the superstar pop model that has been reproduced ever since, and now she is literally paving the way in her 50's completely alone.

:thumbsup:

True, there are no precedents. Pop's first heritage act. Cher and Turner had different career paths and even they were more rock based. McCartney, Stones, Springsteen, Elton.. 60s/70s rock legends. Madonna is the only one and the first one who went this far as a dance pop act.

Now, now, loom. Some things one person would say was fun, others would feel otherwise. :gent:

I genuinely enjoy listening to the track. I'm not listening to something like "Be Careful," after all. *shudder* I don't see what's so forced about it, other than the rap parts, perhaps (which are my least favorite parts of the track- buty, they're tolerable). I enjoy this a lot more than something like MATM- and even "4 Minutes."

And, yah, the video probably is even more fun than the track itself. Should it make it onto a Best Madonna Video list? No. But she's had worse clips.

Since we're talking about meaning what's that moronic "every record sounds the same" non sequitur all about? Not to mention the dreaded "let's forget about time" bit.. those are unusually negative sentiments to put in a mindless party song and seriously undermine the supposed "fun" quotient, making it more of a drag. I would mind it less if they weren't in.

lol we all know that ANYTHING is better than MATM. 4 Minutes I had on the treadmill the other day and still swooned at THAT bombastic intro (the main hook of the song), I just can't resist. :o

Did you not read my line-for-line interpretation, loom? :tongue: "Every record sounds the same" could be a reference to how wannabes' tracks sound like something Madonna's done. Or maybe how all the others are making music that sounds like everyone else's. Mostly, though, I look at it being directed to one act in particular, with some flimsy lines like "we-can-drink-some-wine;;;" tossed in to make it not-so-obvious. Ultimately, it's a track proclaiming her own queendom (not that it was necessary, of course).

As for "Let's forget about time...": Yeah, that's kinda a silly lyric- the chorus is lyrically lazy. But, I still find it catchy.

Yes my God. They still rave about it. It's cute but so beyond forgettable.

absolutely. I LOVE WHEN we get low budget unforgettable videos. FUCK GMAYL. I say.... MORE LOW BUDGET SHIT VIDEOS!!!!