"Give Me All Your Luvin' " Theme Discussion

HolidayGuy

Come on Nightshade - she's recorded WAY worse. :lol: It boggles the mind how anyone can think American Life is superior to this. Now that was truly a time to be embarrassed for her. Because it was alarmingly out of touch and hookless. And what was she thinking when she recorded Revolver?

GMAYL is kind of like Celebration to me - inoffensive, throwaway, whatever. It flopped but we have a new song coming out in 2 days. let's put this debate to rest lol. It'll tarnish the whole era for you guys if you let it!

Well, yeah, NS, those comments probe a little more into what's right on the surface- but that still doesn't make it a "deep" track- not by any means.

I like GMAYL just fine as a fun, catchy ditty- it's not going to go down as one of her grand musical statements. You can't take a cheerleader-type track with the chant "L-U-V Madonna" and "Y-O-U You wanna?" ALL that seriously now. :gent: But that also doesn't mean that it's totally meaningless and just about L-U-V. Some of the lyrics may support that, but they also support another meaning.

In the end, it's all good and we're all free to interpret as we like. :thumbsup:

Agreed, Miguel- GMAYL should in no way tarnish the forthcoming MDNA era. I've been underwhelmed by some Madonna lead singles in the past (at least when comparing them to others), but I did not let that hamper my excitement/anticipation.

Revolver was good but need better vocals, American Life was good but not right for a single, its misunderstood cheeky song.

It was a stupid song, but whatever, that's my opinion so yeah. What was really frustrating was Madonna thinking it was good enough to launch what I think was a misunderstood album. It's true that it didn't have too many hit singles on it but she had better choices. It was Madonna believing her own hype. Which I think is way worse than her simply recording a misfire but ultimately unpretentious pop song like GMAYL.

Guest Xanthium

Come on Nightshade - she's recorded WAY worse. :lol: It boggles the mind how anyone can think American Life is superior to this. Now that was truly a time to be embarrassed for her. Because it was alarmingly out of touch and hookless.

I know right. I was just listening to the song today and it's beyond out of touch and hookless. The lyrics are obnoxious i.e. "I went into a bar, looking for sympathy". Sympathy for what? The horrible life you DON'T have? We all know celebrities have problems too but unless it's something the general public can relate to then just shut up about it. No one will give a shit that it's hard being famous. It's not something you openly complain about. And I don't buy the whole 'she was being ironic and cheeky'. "American Life" was neither, it was whiny and pointless. The rap may have been tongue in cheek in theory (or only in Madonna's brain) but the delivery was dreadful. Nothing humorous or ironic about it. Did she really think after listing all those people who work for her and what she has that people were gonna care that she's still struggling to find fulfillment? No, people are thinking FUCK YOU BITCH. The music video on the other hand was great, as it was an on-point commentary on our society's need to turn war and violence into spectacle and entertainment. I forget the name of it, but there's one "American Life" remix that gives the chorus a great melody. It's too bad the original song didn't have it cause then the song would've had something going on.

Revolver was amazing :) I cant understand why it flopped: oh yeah it didnt have a video. Its a cool song, I love it.

AL was a horrible, devoit of any melody track and no surpise it flopped. It was garbage.

GMAYL is too childish, it has strong moments (Dont play the stupid game ...), but also very dull and uninspired moments (I see you coming and I dont know your name ...), the chanting is so Hanna Montana... As a whole it just isnt strong enough... Its like the childish poorer cousin of Music, but unlike Music it came after the not so well received HC (which wasnt a bad album, but the single choices and the videos killed it).

I know some posted some interpretations of lines before, but as I started this thread, I thought I'd have some fun and do the same for the track.

I like to interpret it like this, more than just as if she's talking to some "boy" (which Nicki references in her raps; M.I.A.'s rap fits more with the following interpretation):

L-U-V Madonna

Y-O-U You wanna?

(Madonna is the one who should be getting all the love and props from everyone, including your fans; do you wanna knock her off her throne?)

I see you coming and I don't wanna know your name

(You're-an-up-and-comer who wants a crack at the throne, but I don't see a serious threat)

I see you coming and you're gonna have to change your game

(You're trying to do things I've done already, but need to change that to make your own mark)

Would you like to try, give me a reason why, give me all that you got

(would you like to try to replace me, tell me why you do, give it your best try)

Maybe you'll do fine, as long as you don't lie to me and pretend to be what you're not

(Perhaps you'll do alright in your attempts to be the next big star, but do not try to pass yourself off as something fresh and unique, when you're just a wannabe)

Don't play that stupid game cause I'm a different kind of girl

(don't try to do everything that I have done, cause there's only one me)

Every record sounds the same, you've got to step into my world

(you're recycling things that I've done/that sound like everything else, let me show you how it's done)

Give me all your luvin, give me your love...

(Show appreciation for everything I've done; or perhaps she's directing to those who are giving all their luvin' to the wannabe, when it should be directed at her)

Keep trying don’t give up, it’s if you want it bad enough

(keep trying to be the new queen)

It’s right in front of you, now tell me what you're thinking of

(here is is, bee-otch, make your best move)

In another place, at a different time

You can be my lucky star

(In a world where I didn't exist, you can be "Madonna")

We can drink some wine

Burgundy is fine

Let’s drink the bottle every drop

(we could get along fine and drink our selves silly to mark you as the queen)

You have all the L-U-V

I gave you everything you need

(You're the one riding high on popularity when I laid the groundwork for you)

Now it’s up to Y-O-U

Are you the one, shall we proceed?

(Are you really the "successor" to my throne? if so, step up your game and make your own mark)

I don't know if it really has a theme. If anything the theme seems to be a celebration of Madonna herself. She's saying: it's me, I'm back, I make great music, dance with me, have fun with me, give me your love! Which is not a bad theme after some time away. It's a shame the song hasn't done better. Unlike some fans I *really* like it. It's not Vogue or Express Yourself, it will never be a true Madonna classic, but it's a great little song and very catchy.

GMAYL is about giving luv. :tongue:

I don't want to look deep into the song. There are other songs from her to do that. I just want to enjoy it, have fun, and chant along. :vogue:

• 2 weeks later...

Also not mentioned in the discussion is the video- M is treated like a queen, with the carpets being rolled out for her. And then someone tries to take her out with a gun- probably one of the wannabes- while the football players protect her. And, is the baby doll supposed to be one of the wannabes that she spawned, one that she's feeding her essence to? :D

• 5 months later...

Also not mentioned in the discussion is the video- M is treated like a queen, with the carpets being rolled out for her. And then someone tries to take her out with a gun- probably one of the wannabes- while the football players protect her. And, is the baby doll supposed to be one of the wannabes that she spawned, one that she's feeding her essence to? :D

I actually think it's probably right. After all, there's no love interest in the video...

I still believe she meant the song to be more than just a simple song about a guy giving her his luvin'. Not that it's DEEP with what I was discussing ,ind you- but, it gives it a little more oomph.

She likes people to interpret songs as they choose, after all. And so much of the song fits what was discussed- and then throw on top of that she performs it instantly after "Express Yourself" on the tour.

Coincidence? HA.

I still believe she meant the song to be more than just a simple song about a guy giving her his luvin'. Not that it's DEEP with what I was discussing ,ind you- but, it gives it a little more oomph.

She likes people to interpret songs as they choose, after all. And so much of the song fits what was discussed- and then throw on top of that she performs it instantly after "Express Yourself" on the tour.

Coincidence? HA.

Perhaps. I probably kick this song too much, but I completely deleted it from my iTunes library and I now play the album from front to back with no problem. Couldn't her lyrics been more creative about the meaning? Look at "Falling Free"...even MC Luscious' "Boom I Fucked Your Boyfriend" has more creative lyrics than "GMAYL".

Bite your tongue. *said in Truth or Dare fashion*

Deleting La Ciccone from your iTunes? Sacrilege. :)

I agree that GMAYL doesn't have the best lyrics in the world, but the potential that it's a rebuke to the wanna-bes (in particular, post-EY/BTW brouhaha) elevates it for me. I wouldn't rank it near the top of my Top Madonna list, but I enjoy it.

Cheerleader Madonna rox. It was divine in the Superbowl and drum majorette Madonna is my favorite section in MDNA. It's tacky, naughty, cheap and entirely inappropriate. Everything I love about M! It's a shame that some ppl don't get it. Her pom-pom hops are adorable and very Madonna.. I love her bounce. It reminds me of Ciao Italia Tour. I'm not into her sexually or anything but she's so damn cute..

Too bad the song itself wasn't better. Definitely not lead-single material yet it's still the one I prefer most over GGW & TUTR. The 'Just Blaze' remix used on the tour was a good choice.

AMERICAN LIFE WAS A DAMN FINE ERA TOO. The remixes from that album remain some of her BEST.

EY/BTW is iconic classic Madonna. I remember b4 she spoke about Lazy Garbage I thought M won't say anything. She'll be all nicey-nicey cuz she's changed, a mom now, blah blah blah. But she did it! And then I still doubted her.. No way will she do EY/BTW w/ 'She's Not Me' too. But she did! She's probably the only celebrity nowadays that has balls and stands up for what she believes; she says it publicly, creatively but definitely NOT ambiguous. I don't agree w/ everything she spouts and does, but I certainly do respect her... as far as pop stars go. When she dissed Lazy Garbage, she made me proud to be a fan at that moment. I had been defending her online for months against that stalker trash and munsters. Even if M did it for publicity — which I don't believe — I'm grateful that she didn't let me, and many other M fans who were exposing LG, end up looking like fools. The LM's were just waiting for M to praise LG, like all the other kiss-ass celebs, so they could rub it in our face! But she manned-up and did that mash up. There's no telling how bad that could've went over (She looked worried during that section at the Tel Aviv show then when the crowd didn't lynch her, she smiled). I really do think that is a very special part of that tour which deserves far more respect & appreciation. It may have given her publicity but I also take it as a nod to her fans who had been fighting for her.

... a far as pop stars go.. .meaning I don't look to them as role models and frame my life and beliefs based on theirs. I'm a Madonna fan, NOT a lil munster.

A nice little piece of inoffensive pop. I like how it doesn't sound like other songs on the radio. I would place it alongside the Angels, True Blue's and Cherish's of her catalog.

My friend who is a casual Madonna fan also HATES this song with a passion like many here do. I just don't understand how it can be THAT offensive to someone...lol. The cheerleading is a little dorky but honestly, the lyrics don't bother me they are typical pop song lyrics if you ask me. As with most things Madonna though, I do think HG's interpretation holds some weight especially when you place the lyrics/SB performance/video and tour performance together.