"Give Me All Your Luvin' " Theme Discussion

HolidayGuy

The more I think about this track- the Super Bowl performance, the cheerleader/football-themed video, the cheers in the track, etc.:

To go along with the playful ode to the wannabes in the lyrics, it is like in this track, Madonna put herself in the position as football teams do. Every football team, especially going into the Super Bowl, thinks it's the best and "talks down" to its competitors- in Madonna's instance, the wannabes/pop "rivals." Madonna did say the Martin Solveig collaborations had irony to them, so that would lend itself to "Give Me All Your Luvin'."

Thoughts?

The more I think about this track- the Super Bowl performance, the cheerleader/football-themed video, the cheers in the track, etc.:

To go along with the playful ode to the wannabes in the lyrics, it is like in this track, Madonna put herself in the position as football teams do. Every football team, especially going into the Super Bowl, thinks it's the best and "talks down" to its competitors- in Madonna's instance, the wannabes/pop "rivals." Madonna did say the Martin Solveig collaborations had irony to them, so that would lend itself to "Give Me All Your Luvin'."

Thoughts?

That's an interesting point of view but I don't think it's that deep. I think GMAYL was a very spontaneous creation that Madonna came up with once it was agreed she would be doing the Superbowl. She came up with a song that would allow her to explicitly refer to herself and remind people of Madonna as a brand, 'L.U.V. MADONNA!' She's seen that people like Minaj, Gaga and others have been churning out tracks where they blatantly promote themselves and blast their own name into public consciousness - she started following that trend when 4 Minutes was released, 'Give it up, give it up, don't be a pri-Madonna'. I don't think the song has a coherent theme other than an excuse for M to remind people that she's still around and that she wants all our 'luvin'! :)

Well, I don't know if it's "deep," but perhaps it's not all spontaneous- maybe some thought did go into it.

I don't think Madonna would flat-out say she's the greatest- even though she did refer to herself as a creamy pop goddess at pone point and has given herself props. :D

I do agree about the branding- that's one bandwagon she jumped on. But at least for GMAYL, it's serving more of a purpose than something like "4 Minutes."

A lot of things that Madonna does happen to have multi-layers, whether it be tracks, videos or performances- that can be interpreted in various ways. That's part of the genius. :vogue:

Guest Xanthium

I think Madonna was very calculated with GMAYL and to create a song for the Super Bowl that incorporates cheerleader chants and football/cheerleader imagery. But unfortunately the song wasn't strong enough on its own. Yes, I like the song and think it's catchy and fun but she should've just gone with a killer new song. I think she tried to make a song fit the situation and that most definitely limited her. You can only make so many types of songs that have chanting in them. It was gonna have to be light-hearted and juvenile. At 53 years old in the pop landscape, there is no room for mistakes. She needed to bring it with a sure-fire hit that would've had a much better chance at being embraced. She tried something and it didn't work out the way she wanted it to. But the great thing about Madonna is that she moves on to the next. GMAYL was a hit briefly in certain areas so it wasn't a complete disaster. I think GMAYL was just a miscalculation on her part.

Guest Xanthium

I do agree about the branding- that's one bandwagon she jumped on. But at least for GMAYL, it's serving more of a purpose than something like "4 Minutes."

Yeah branding or referencing yourself in the music comes from rap and hip hop and the pop world caught on, trying to incorporate it into their music. I definitely

agree that Madonna wants to do a bit of boasting with 4 Minutes, GMAYL, and the whole M-dolla thing.

^Possibly- the rumors were reported in early October. And I thought that snippet heard outside of her house was another track?

Agreed that the track isn't strong enough on its own to persist without the SB/football tie-in. Though that surely hasn't stopped a number of non-grand tracks from riding high on the charts. GMAYL just did not click with the general populace like other tracks have done.

I LOVE it! And I love the video, her live performance on national TV and that she made it to the top 10. She will have a number #1 dance hit with it and who knows if she releases the LMFAO remix track and the Grammy/Adele/Whitney chartings slow down she might make it back into the top 10! We shall see next week!

I LOVE it! And I love the video, her live performance on national TV and that she made it to the top 10. She will have a number #1 dance hit with it and who knows if she releases the LMFAO remix track and the Grammy/Adele/Whitney chartings slow down she might make it back into the top 10! We shall see next week!

It's always nice to see over positive loons :lol:

^Possibly- the rumors were reported in early October. And I thought that snippet heard outside of her house was another track?

No.

GMAYL and GGW were both heard (in snippets) outside her London home in July 2011. As someone else pointed out, it is possible she was planning to do the Super Bowl that far out, however I really doubt she wrote this for the Super Bowl specifically. Why write a song for a deal that wasn't even signed? I think Nicki and MIA were added at the last minute though.

I don't know if she wrote the track in particular for the SB- I'm saying that it fits quite well with the SB/football theme. Not a matter of "reaching"- Madonna's always done things in her work that were multi-layered and could be interpreted in different ways. If ya don't know that, turn in your fan-club membership at the door muthafuckas. :demonic:

Guest Not4Pussies

Nicki Minaj knew she was gonna work with Madonna since last summer, she just couldn't say anything.

Good Morning America interview.

Who the f said anything about this track and "secret genius"? The interpretation ain't that deep, CUBB. :doofus: You're perfectly entitled to take it as you like, just as anyone else. Madonna's always said she likes listeners to interpret things as they see, why she doesn't like explaining meanings and all.

The genius is in Madonna HERSELF, continuing to release material that potentially offers more than what's on the surface (started with "Holiday"). I'd expect nothing less from such a CULTURALLY ENRICHING phenom.

it must have been written with the superbowl in mind, it's too much that she had cheerleader chanting on a song and then happened to do the superbowl. this whole thing has been one grand clusterfuck of cross promotion like only Madonna does. I think when she signed with LN, back right before HC came out, a lot of this was planned/ talked about/ agreed on, which is why it's all running so smoothly now.

Guest groovyguy

Thoughts?

Just my thoughts. To me, it seems the MDNA album's theme is simply Madonna. The tour name, The Madonna World Tour, reinforces that thought. Madonna. A new beginning. MDNA can mean her name, her DNA, or a reference to MDMA. DNA is double-stranded; the positive and the negative. And MDMA has positive as well as negative effects. The positives are represented by light songs, The negatives are represented by dark songs. Both the light songs (positive) and dark songs (negative) tell her story. GMAYL refers to the time when she was a cheerleader, longing to be loved. And GGW has a religious theme. Possibly a reference to her Catholicism. So that's just my simple take on the MDNA theme - Madonna - with each song representing a certain aspect of her life. And GMAYL refers to the cheerleader Madonna in her high school days. Of course I could be way off.

Just my thoughts. To me, it seems the MDNA album's theme is simply Madonna. The tour name, The Madonna World Tour, reinforces that thought. Madonna. A new beginning. MDNA can mean her name, her DNA, or a reference to MDMA. DNA is double-stranded; the positive and the negative. And MDMA has positive as well as negative effects. The positives are represented by light songs, The negatives are represented by dark songs. Both the light songs (positive) and dark songs (negative) tell her story. GMAYL refers to the time when she was a cheerleader, longing to be loved. And GGW has a religious theme. Possibly a reference to her Catholicism. So that's just my simple take on the MDNA theme - Madonna - with each song representing a certain aspect of her life. And GMAYL refers to the cheerleader Madonna in her high school days. Of course I could be way off.

God/Madonna bless you

Guest Coked Up Baby Boy

Of course I could be way off.

*faaaart*

You are.

GMAYL is actually about the time Madonna tried to order a roast ham from the Deli for X-mas, but the order never arrived and she had to make do with some bbq chicken instead. The cheers, the LUV lyrics, all aimed at her anticipation for x-mas ham.

Madonna always has these sorts of messages in her songs. I mean, the dark underlying themes of HOLIDAY are even more complex.

I mean, listen to these words....IF WE TOOK A HOLIDAY......CELEBRATE.....OH YEAH.......i think it's PRETTY obvious what Madonna is REALLY saying with this song.

Guest groovyguy

*faaaart*

You are.

GMAYL is actually about the time Madonna tried to order a roast ham from the Deli for X-mas, but the order never arrived and she had to make do with some bbq chicken instead. The cheers, the LUV lyrics, all aimed at her anticipation for x-mas ham.

Madonna always has these sorts of messages in her songs. I mean, the dark underlying themes of HOLIDAY are even more complex.

I mean, listen to these words....IF WE TOOK A HOLIDAY......CELEBRATE.....OH YEAH.......i think it's PRETTY obvious what Madonna is REALLY saying with this song.

Of course, you are right as always! Everyone must be entitled to your opinion! ;)

it must have been written with the superbowl in mind, it's too much that she had cheerleader chanting on a song and then happened to do the superbowl. this whole thing has been one grand clusterfuck of cross promotion like only Madonna does. I think when she signed with LN, back right before HC came out, a lot of this was planned/ talked about/ agreed on, which is why it's all running so smoothly now.

Yeah, real smooth. The single is tanking almost everywhere. I'm sure they planned that too. ;)

My hat is off to anyone who can find deeper meaning in this morass. It means that you are getting more out of this track than I am.

Lawdy, CUBB- you would cite those lyrics in "Holiday." :p You know very well (or should) that "Holiday" is more than a frothy, let's-get-lost track. Madonna didn't write it, but it's one of the most universal of all her classics- and not because it's about taking a vacation.

Anyhow, no one said GMAYL was some deep meaningful track- it's a fun ode to the wanna-bes- that much was discussed when the lyrics leaked. And it ties in nicely- coincidentally or not- with the theme of football. Thank you.

Anyhow, no one said GMAYL was some deep meaningful track- it's a fun ode to the wanna-bes-

Madonna put herself in the position as football teams do. Every football team, especially going into the Super Bowl, thinks it's the best and "talks down" to its competitors- in Madonna's instance, the wannabes/pop "rivals." Madonna did say the Martin Solveig collaborations had irony to them, so that would lend itself to "Give Me All Your Luvin'."

GMAYL refers to the time when she was a cheerleader, longing to be loved.

That is deeper than I took it. Again, I'm not denying you your point of view, but if I took it as Madonna being worn out and not really wanting to write something new or inventive, then both of these opinions are deeper in meaning than I would imagine. I did not argue that you were saying this is "Live to Tell" part 2.

The more I discuss this song the more I dislike it. And I shouldn't because it's a harmless, somewhat catchy track. Hmmm...maybe that is why I don't like it. After 30 years in the business the one performer I can count on to bring something clever or magical to pop music just recorded an Avril Lavigne B-side. Stupid bitch. :lol: