UK CHART - THE SHOW IS OVER SAY GOODBYE!

horn

Reaching No. 10 on the Hot 100 was not a "forced success"- that week included none of that CC airplay promo, and it sold a very respectable 165K. Plus- any airplay that an anticipated single gets in its first week has never come from audience demanding that particular track or the audience liking that particular- it never has- when other Madonna tracks have debuted high in airplay, or tracks from other acts. Age be damned, it was an anticipated single, because of the Super Bowl and everything. Interest was fleeting for the track, for various reasons.

The track will drop big this week, but it was expected. Seriously, anyone who thought this track was going to be a No. 1 contender and a long-lasting hit really doesn't understand the dynamics.

You can't tell me that the Airplay and yes the interest from the Superbowl was all genuine. Radio was forced to play it. It's obvious Radio didn't drop it completely after the three day they were being forced to play it. Now it's had its third week and we're seeing the spins decreasing even more. I don't believe it was genuine airplay interest in the second week. They were simply playing it out of obligation.

If the song was really that popular in the first week, why are we seeing a huge decline only in it's third week? I would say Whitney Houston's death played a part in it, but then of course, some people will come flying in, saying I'm making excuses. I mean which is it now?? Do we have a song people are really interested in or do we have a flop that obviously radio was forced to play and the biggest sales came from the interest of the Superbowl.

I'm not into making excuses. I'm just trying to be realistic here. No real successful song just hits top ten in it's second week and then plummets dramatically in it's third week.

I didn't know that a "massive flop" can reach the Top 10 in the US :lol: that's amazing!

This a thread about the UK chart - its under performed massively. As for the US payola helped her get to the top 10. It's will

drop out of the top 20 this week.

This a thread about the UK chart - its under performed massively. As for the US,payola helped her get to the top 10. It will

Just so you know...payola is the reason why *many* songs have alot of success in the US ;) and yes,the song will slide down the charts this week,and that's OK.It already served its purpose and gave Madonna her 38th Top 10 hit.Mission accomplished.

This a thread about the UK chart - its under performed massively. As for the US payola helped her get to the top 10. It's will

This is a drama galore thread for all melodramatic fan, who's upset with GMAYL's UK performance, to post their rant.

I think she release GMAYL as a tie in for her superbowl performance . I have a feeling she will start promoting MDNA/Tour with new single GGW .

Just so you know...payola is the reason why *many* songs have alot of success in the US ;) and yes,the song will slide down the charts this week,and that's OK.It already served its purpose and gave Madonna her 38th Top 10 hit.Mission accomplished.

Considering the $1.5 million video, the Superbowl performance and the legal payola I seriously doubt all they wanted this song to do was barely scrape the Top 10 and then dissapear.

Considering the $1.5 million video, the Superbowl performance and the legal payola I seriously doubt all they wanted this song to do was barely scrape the Top 10 and then dissapear.

True,but as I said before.....all of the promotion and hype in the world cannot *guarantee* a major hit single for Madonna (a 53-year old artist whom many believe is well past her prime).They're gonna have to be satisfied with a peak position at Number 10.

Then why isn't she out there promoting it ? ( The single , Album ect .) 3 radio interviews don't count. I just don't get it .

I don't think this is a massive flop, because what your regular citizen out there has in mind is a VERY succesful Madonna performing at the Superbowl, being very fresh and young and having lots of publicity. It would have been very different if she were a laughing stock and SHE ISN'T.

She has released a shitty song and has to harvest the results. Thankfully, the results aren't the catastrophe that some people here seem to see. She can release a very good second single and have a big hit.

Then why isn't she out there promoting it ? ( The single , Album ect .) 3 radio interviews don't count. I just don't get it .

Because she is a 53 year old mother of four that is about to embark on a 2-year world tour. Her priority at the moment is to take a breather, spend some time with her children and then start tour rehearsals before going on a massive world tour.

She is not a single and carefree 20-something pop starlet whose career is her number 1 priority and nothing else.

I think her priority should rightly be the album. I don't see what a couple of performances or a chat show would do. The US saw it performed and heard it on the radio. What's the point of trying to shove it down people's throats? Just move on to single #2.

Because she is a 53 year old mother of four that is about to embark on a 2-year world tour. Her priority at the moment is to take a breather, spend some time with her children and then start tour rehearsals before going on a massive world tour.

She is not a single and carefree 20-something pop starlet whose career is her number 1 priority and nothing else.

I agree.Sometimes,fans forget that Madonna's main priority in life is raising her family.Her life isn't just about promoting a new single,or whoring herself on every TV chat show.This isn't the 80s or 90s anymore.I'll be fine with another great video (which she is filming this week) and the upcoming tour.

Some queens give me jokes...I don't see how GMAYL or the whole build up to it's release can be seen as a flop. Yes, it didn't exactly set the world alight but it's managed to get her 38th top 10 single on billboard, it's given us one of her most anticipated and viewed videos on Youtube (17 million so far and rapidly growing), one of the biggest audiences in television history during the Superbowl halftime (114 million) and an international iTunes record with MDNA reaching #1 in over 50 countries on pre-orders alone. What more could we ask for? Can we stop whining now and focus on Girls Gone Wild and the MDNA release?

Blaine_begging.gif

Guest bluejean

I agree.Sometimes,fans forget that Madonna's main priority in life is raising her family.Her life isn't just about promoting a new single,or whoring herself on every TV chat show.This isn't the 80s or 90s anymore.I'll be fine with another great video (which she is filming this week) and the upcoming tour.

They would have planned all the promo in advance. And they only planned the Superbowl because they obviously viewed that as sufficient promotion for that song. (Which is was.) Anything additional wouldn't have made a difference. Perhaps in the UK it may have but a) she needed the time off b) she needed to do other work (a video etc) and c) she usually only does promo when the album comes out anyway.

Some queens give me jokes...I don't see how GMAYL or the whole build up to it's release can be seen as a flop. Yes, it didn't exactly set the world alight but it's managed to get her 38th top 10 single on billboard, it's given us one of her most anticipated and viewed videos on Youtube (17 million so far and rapidly growing), one of the biggest audiences in television history during the Superbowl halftime (114 million) and an international iTunes record with MDNA reaching #1 in over 50 countries on pre-orders alone. What more could we ask for? Can we stop whining now and focus on Girls Gone Wild and the MDNA release?

Blaine_begging.gif

Exactly!! Madonna releases a single that doesn't set the world on fire and fans act like it's the end of the world.It's hilarious when fans say "She would have had a Number One if the song was good" :lol: As if it's THAT easy for a 53-year artist to get a Number One single in this era of Rihanna,Lady Gaga and Lil Wayne.All things considered,a Top 10 hit in America is quite remarkable when you think of the obstacles that Madonna is facing.I wonder how these dramatic fans are gonna act if GGW doesn't become a worldwide smash either...lol

Exactly!! Madonna releases a single that doesn't set the world on fire and fans act like it's the end of the world.It's hilarious when fans say "She would have had a Number One if the song was good" :lol: As if it's THAT easy for a 53-year artist to get a Number One single in this era of Rihanna,Lady Gaga and Lil Wayne.All things considered,a Top 10 hit in America is quite remarkable when you think of the obstacles that Madonna is facing.I wonder how these dramatic fans are gonna act if GGW doesn't become a worldwide smash either...lol

I don't think anyone is being dramatic other than the people trying to brainwash themselves into believing this is a success. When Kylie's single peaked at #12 at the UK Top Ten everyone including myself was like FLOP HER CAREER IS DEAD SHES DONE etc. Now that Madonna with a much higher profile release after a 2 year absence does worse I'm not going to delude myself into thinking it's a smash.

I don't care what charts and what doesn't. But people throw the word flop around for everyone else EXCEPT Madonna for whom squeaking in at #10 after a massive multimillion dollar campaign is 'AMAZING' since she got her 38th Top Ten.

I get what you're saying,but I don't see why so many fans are downplaying the Top 10 position and acting like it's insignificant.I don't know how it is in other countries but here in America,if you're not in your 20s,radio basically ignores you.It is *remarkable* for a 53-year old artist to go anywhere near the Top 10 (just ask Prince,Bruce Springsteen,The Rolling Stones and all those other 'older' artists who haven't been in the Top 40 in years).I keep bringing up Madonna's age because that's a huge obstacle for her,no matter how much the single is promoted or force-fed to the public.Whitney Houston had to die in order to get back into the Top 10.Janet is *younger* than Madonna and she can't even get a Top 10 hit these days.

I get what you're saying,but I don't see why so many fans are downplaying the Top 10 position and acting like it's insignificant.I don't know how it is in other countries but here in America,if you're not in your 20s,radio basically ignores you.It is *remarkable* for a 53-year old artist to go anywhere near the Top 10 (just ask Prince,Bruce Springsteen,The Rolling Stones and all those other 'older' artists who haven't been in the Top 40 in years).I keep bringing up Madonna's age because that's a huge obstacle for her,no matter how much the single is promoted or force-fed to the public.Whitney Houston had to die in order to get back into the Top 10.Janet is *younger* than Madonna and she can't even get a Top 10 hit these days.

But it did get played on the radio in spite of her age (actually because of the payola but anyway). Its trajectory on Itunes says that people just don't like it that much. It had a modest peak and is now outside of the Top 30 if I'm not mistaken. Jasonakos who knows more about this says that the response from people radio called wasn't that good either. What I'm saying is that it's not because radio gave her the cold shoulder or because Interscope didn't do its job (she went on Leno, Anderson, radio etc) but just that people aren't clicking with the song. Maybe people expect something more of Madonna than Katy Perry/Nicki Minaj stuff. If that's the case, I don't think this Chris Brown-lite next single will do much either.

Anyway that's just my opinion and I won't keep repeating myself.

All I'm saying is....if fans are expecting Madonna to have numerous Number Ones (or even Top 10) hits in the future,they're gonna be sorely disappointed.Just watch...we will have more threads like this in the future ;)

Everyone,

The song is a flop in the UK. A major flop. It wouldn't have been as bad if the album pre-sale counted. Alas, it's a Janet sized flop in the UK. However, worldwide it's a hit; not a blockbuster but it's still a HIT. I think it's ridiculous to say that GMAYL was watched by 114 million people and it flopped. Well, these 114 million were in the US and it made Top 10; not a flop. Anyway, Madonna left the UK and now her focus is in the U. S. of A. I don't think the UK is going to be her focus for a long time, if ever again. As long as she sells well throughout Europe I doubt that she'll worry too much about chart positions in the UK.

Now, can we just agree that it IS a major flop in the UK market??? Sorry was a major hit worldwide but tanked hard in the US. Did it take away from the fact that it is Madonna hit? No.

P.S.: No one spends 1.5 million on video for a buzz single. Whatever.

I think the right song can transcend the age thing. Cher did it and she was TRULY a relic. Sure Katy Perry is having hits with shit but that's because this is her breakthrough era.

I would really like to believe that,but I think Cher's success with "Believe" is a rare occurence that doesn't happen very often.I would love to be proved wrong ;)

I'm sure they didn't wish the single to drop big from the top 10 or anything of the sort- but, there doesn't look to be long-term focus for GMAYL- as evidenced by M announcing more than a week ago that that she was filming the video for the next single very soon.

GMAYL isn't an uber-smash for a variety of reasons:

1. The general public isn't crazy about it

2. It IS tied to the Super Bowl/football. Would M have done the video and included cheering in GMAYL if she were not performing at the SB? Probably not. And note during the first-weekend airplay that M's message reiterated to catch her performing the track at the SB. SO, yes- CC promo or not- it was an event single, tied to the biggest annual event in America. It was going to get decent play (for Madonna), regardless. She even may have composed GMAYL with the SB in mind- who knows.

3. And, of course, her age will always be a factor (less so in countries outside the USA, but I still imagine that pre-teens and teens in any country aren't going to be that into a pop star in her 50s).

The airplay the track received in its second week in the USA is about in line with what a new Madonna track can expect at this point (unless she got someone as radio-hot as Justin Timberlake on a track again, but even, still she wasn't in her 50s in 2008). But, it rode the Super Bowl promo into a No. 10 peak, and that is satisfactory for it.

A No. 37 peak in the UK is most definitely a flop by Madonna standards-that's just two spots higher than "Miles Away," for cryin' out loud. But does that mean she will never score a top hit there again? of course not.

Remember, it's not like the old days. You can't really look at it that way. She's a BRAND now so EVERYTHING in this era collectively is what counts. So...the money earned from the single, the album, the perfume that's about to be released, the continued success of MG, I guess the gym(s) is doing decently (??), the tour coming up.....all that pads their bank accounts too. I'm sure they are (or will be verrrry soon) quite pleased.

The song made people aware that she's "back". It performed satisfactory in the country it was most targeted in plus some other unexpected territories and it underperformed in others. Big deal. It's one song. She's not Lady Gaga, this isn't going to break her or even put a dent in this era much less her career.

Everything she does now is with the goal of the bigger picture in mind.