UK CHART - THE SHOW IS OVER SAY GOODBYE!

horn

For a FIRST single in 4 years with that much hype and exposure to crawl it's way into the charts like it has would be awarded the FLOP OF THE YEAR by many people here if it belonged to a couple OTHER singers people around here hate.

It's funny how fans react when the tables are turned :lol: they become loons just like all the other "crazy fanz omg".

Oh well. Anyway...

All the hype and exposure in the world won't guarantee a hit single for Madonna.We're not in the 80s or 90s anymore.Madonna is considered well past her prime.She's no longer in her heyday.Some fans need to let go of this illusion that Madonna will automatically get lots of airplay and have Top 10 hit singles all the time.It ain't gonna happen!

All the hype and exposure in the world won't guarantee a hit single for Madonna.We're not in the 80s or 90s anymore.Madonna is considered well past her prime.She's no longer in her heyday.Some fans need to let go of this illusion that Madonna will automatically get lots of airplay and have Top 10 hit singles all the time.It ain't gonna happen!

specially with a bad song

specially with a bad song

It doesn't matter *what* she releases.It could be an amazing song,or a piece of crap....radio is reluctant to support a new single by a 53-year old artist.

The brand new UK charts are out. The song is nowhere to be found either on the sales or the airplay top50. :(

How is this possible? I don't understand. All the big stations across the country and in London have totally been ignoring it. Madonna is always an instant add. In London, Capital Fm and Kiss Fm among other stations played Celebration a lot. Now, nothing.

Maybe Interscope hasn't pushed it at all because it was always supposed to be just for Superbowl/North America and we are getting a proper single in the next few weeks? Really confusing. Who is responsible for MDNA's promo? Interscope or Livenation? Is Interscope only responsible for distribution? Maybe Livenation does not have the right infrastructure and experience to push the song?

For a FIRST single in 4 years with that much hype and exposure to crawl it's way into the charts like it has would be awarded the FLOP OF THE YEAR by many people here if it belonged to a couple OTHER singers people around here hate.

It's funny how fans react when the tables are turned :lol: they become loons just like all the other "crazy fanz omg".

Oh well. Anyway...

:demonic:

Well I can't honestly say I give a damn. Maybe if I was a fan of the song it would help, I surely would be more disappointed if it was one I loved that flopped, but at the end of the day times are different. And again, at least we got the video from it.

The brand new UK charts are out. The song is nowhere to be found either on the sales or the airplay top50. :(

How is this possible? I don't understand. All the big stations across the country and in London have totally been ignoring it. Madonna is always an instant add. In London, Capital Fm and Kiss Fm among other stations played Celebration a lot. Now, nothing.

Maybe Interscope hasn't pushed it at all because it was always supposed to be just for Superbowl/North America and we are getting a proper single in the next few weeks? Really confusing. Who is responsible for MDNA's promo? Interscope or Livenation? Is Interscope only responsible for distribution? Maybe Livenation does not have the right infrastructure and experience to push the song?

Boo-hoo...cry me a river :lol: your country has an underperforming Madonna single.I'm sure you'll get over it ;)

Or maybe you're just burying your head too deep into this. Maybe it's intentionally the "buzz track" but to me, if there is any attempt to release a song to purchase and there is a great push to radio (well, at least in the U.S. and few other nations), it's a single.

At any rate, no need to go into meltdown mode about it. Life will go on. Madonna will still be internationally the biggest selling female artist with a huge sell out tour.

all of a sudden Kylie's The One seems like a huge hit compared... god the fun that was made over that song (which was the 4th single of a crappy album)

Oh well. Anyway...

People can spin it any way they want - FACT is despite the HYPE and the Superbowl performance (it was news here) the song is a massive FLOP.

After 3 years away radio have virtually ignored it. Hardly the way a lead single from a forthcoming album is supposed to perform.

TEAM MADONNA do care about chart positions thats why they had billboards all over Europe, spent 1.5 million on a video and brought AirPlay

in the US. The launch of the song had been planned months in advance - Madonna always plans these things with military precision - it was tied

in with SB, tour announcement, movie release.

Only thing is this time she didn't have a very good song to promote. I hope there are better singles on the album.

Guest bluejean

Yes well WHEN is the new song coming out? Everyone keeps saying it will come out before the new album, but there's been no confirmation of that to my knowledge. It really NEEDS to, but whether it will or not who knows.

Guest Coked Up Baby Boy

I didn't know that a "massive flop" can reach the Top 10 in the US :lol: that's amazing!

It should at the very least be top 5 based on how it was exploded onto the public, and outside of a U.S top 10, it's pretty much doing very little in most other places.

It may not be a HUGE FLOP, but it's certainly underperformed.

Most people here thought it was a shoe in for a WW top #3 or #1, and it isn't, lets not pretend scraping into the top 10 of one country is something everyone was expecting.

Anyway, i think GGW will fair a bit better, it just sounds like a much more broader appealing song and a real party anthem, i LOVE the snippet.

People are so dramatic- did they expect Bruce Springsteen's single to storm the charts when he performed it at the Super Bowl a few years back? The performance boosted the track to No. 95 on the Hot 100. And while The Boss never had the kind of singles success Madonna had, he's certainly a superstar act. And like Madonna, he was in his 50s at the time.

I never ever expected a No. 1 or close to it for GMAYL in the USA (for various reasons). Some people refuse to acknowledge that, no matter what she puts out, she will struggle (she is 53, after all). The pre-teen/young crowd doesn't give much of a hoot about her- and her performing at the Super Bowl wasn't going to get them excited enough about the track to send it to the top of the charts. GMAYL is very tied to the SB- would Madonna have included cheers in the track, had a football-themed video, if it were not? After almost 30 years into her career of not going there, probably not.

As for the UK- it's just not clicking there (and other places). It happens. It's not the end of the world (or Madonna's career). Trust.

It should at the very least be top 5 based on how it was exploded onto the public, and outside of a U.S top 10, it's pretty much doing very little in most other places.

It may not be a HUGE FLOP, but it's certainly underperformed.

Most people here thought it was a shoe in for a WW top #3 or #1, and it isn't, lets not pretend scraping into the top 10 of one country is something everyone was expecting.

Anyway, i think GGW will fair a bit better, it just sounds like a much more broader appealing song and a real party anthem, i LOVE the snippet.

It's likely that Madonna will never have a Number One hit single again.I don't know why so many fans can't accept this.If she has the occasional Top 10 hit,that's a major accomplishment.Let's not downplay that.All the promotion and hype in the world can't *guarantee* a major hit for Madonna,an artist who is considered "past her prime".And let's not kid ourselves....GGW isn't a sure bet,either (based on the clip that we heard).

People are so dramatic- did they expect Bruce Springsteen's single to storm the charts when he performed it at the Super Bowl a few years back? The performance boosted the track to No. 95 on the Hot 100. And while The Boss never had the kind of singles success Madonna had, he's certainly a superstar act. And like Madonna, he was in his 50s at the time.

I never ever expected a No. 1 or close to it for GMAYL in the USA (for various reasons). Some people refuse to acknowledge that, no matter what she puts out, she will struggle (she is 53, after all). The pre-teen/young crowd doesn't give much of a hoot about her- and her performing at the Super Bowl wasn't going to get them excited enough about the track to send it to the top of the charts. GMAYL is very tied to the SB- would Madonna have included cheers in the track, had a football-themed video, if it were not? After almost 30 years into her career of not going there, probably not.

As for the UK- it's just not clicking there (and other places). It happens. It's not the end of the world (or Madonna's career). Trust.

You're speaking the truth....the truth that many fans don't wanna accept.

Guest Coked Up Baby Boy

It's likely that Madonna will never have a Number One hit single again.I don't know why so many fans can't accept this.If she has the occasional Top 10 hit,that's a major accomplishment.Let's not downplay that.All the promotion and hype in the world can't *guarantee* a major hit for Madonna,an artist who is considered "past her prime".And let's not kid ourselves....GGW isn't a sure bet,either (based on the clip that we heard).

Oh i agree with you, others don't seem to get it though.

I guess fans just thought "Madonnas back, she'll show them", certainly with her tour and album no doubt, but single wise, those years are probably behind her.

Oh i agree with you, others don't seem to get it though.

I guess fans just thought "Madonnas back, she'll show them", certainly with her tour and album no doubt, but single wise, those years are probably behind her.

She's gearing up to release a new album that will debut at Number One all over the globe.She's going out on a tour that will be the year's biggest,most lucrative tour.I don't know why so many fans can't be excited about that.Mariah and Janet are doing weight loss commercials,while Madonna is still having major successes in her career.It may not be on the *singles chart* but why should that matter? Success is success.

People can spin it any way they want - FACT is despite the HYPE and the Superbowl performance (it was news here) the song is a massive FLOP.

After 3 years away radio have virtually ignored it. Hardly the way a lead single from a forthcoming album is supposed to perform.

TEAM MADONNA do care about chart positions thats why they had billboards all over Europe, spent 1.5 million on a video and brought AirPlay

in the US. The launch of the song had been planned months in advance - Madonna always plans these things with military precision - it was tied

in with SB, tour announcement, movie release.

Only thing is this time she didn't have a very good song to promote. I hope there are better singles on the album.

No. The only country where GMAYL is truly *underperforming* is the UK and maybe Australia but in all other world markets she's doing well. And I know that the Uk is one of her biggest markets together with Germany but you will convene that the EU has about 750 million inhabitants of which 60m live in the UK. It's really not the end of the world. And regarding the US situation something like the SB guaranteed the song's top 10 performance and the catalogue sales. The Super Bowl performance was reported in major media outlets over here but obviously it was destined to echo more on US soil.

This is also the first time when she releases a new song where other than shooting a solid video for it (at last) there isn't real promotion in terms of TV appearances, chat shows and radio. Clearly this is just the buzz single and she used the SB and the video mainly as a vehicle for her tour announcement/sales (and it all coincidentally came out together in the span of 3 days). She's going to have at least another single, hopefully the video will be as good as the first video. Her tour has been announced not even 2 weeks ago and is selling really well. Madonna is a 53 yo act doing pop music and radio was bound to start playing her less and less at some point. Now look at that Billboard top 10 for instance and tell me if (aside that Whitney song) there's that much better quality stuff than GMAYL. Or the British charts or any other country chart for that matter.

Guest FrozenEyes

Now look at that Billboard top 10 for instance and tell me if (aside that Whitney song) there's that much better quality stuff than GMAYL. Or the British charts or any other country chart for that matter.

I would say at least 5 songs tbh. :D

Meanwhile my country loves + supports her as usual + today I celebrated that #1 with some good old-fashioned NKM RIT choreo. :flirt:

Holiday celebration! :canada:

470_madonna_world_tour_canada_ap_120207.jpg

No. The only country where GMAYL is truly *underperforming* is the UK and maybe Australia but in all other world markets she's doing well.

Finland (dropping from #1 to #9)

Ireland (dropping from #11 to #26)

Netherlands (dropping from #2 to #22)

These do not forebode good fortune.

Again....why does the success she *HAS* had with the song have to be undermined? It may fall from #10 off the Hot 100 or from #1 to 109 in Guam or WHATEVER...the point is though it peaked at #10 and #1. Does every lead single she has have to stay in the top 10 multiple weeks in every country in the world to be considered a success? Have we REALLY been spoiled that much as fans!? :lol:

When you assess it on a worldwide basis the song was a moderate success for her. END OF...twist it how you'd like.

Australia, learn it, Madolla isn't coming to your country for a #25!

:rotfl::inlove:

According to Madonna.com, she is touring Australia as well as South America. The dates are to come yet. Maybe you're just kidding, but I've seen others raise real concern that she isn't coming.

Again....why does the success she *HAS* had with the song have to be undermined? It may fall from #10 off the Hot 100 or from #1 to 109 in Guam or WHATEVER...the point is though it peaked at #10 and #1. Does every lead single she has have to stay in the top 10 multiple weeks in every country in the world to be considered a success? Have we REALLY been spoiled that much as fans!? :lol:

When you assess it on a worldwide basis the song was a moderate success for her. END OF...twist it how you'd like.

I understand where you are coming from, but two weeks on the charts with a high debut only for it to drop drastically in the charts isn't success. Longevity and demand should be the true success of any song, but it's not working out that way. The song was force fed to radio. We knew it had to debut high, but in it's third week, it appears that the song is going to plummet. I don't see that as "moderate success". I see it as "forced success". Songs should last more than two weeks on the radio and charts before plummeting.

Reaching No. 10 on the Hot 100 was not a "forced success"- that week included none of that CC airplay promo, and it sold a very respectable 165K. Plus- any airplay that an anticipated single gets in its first week has never come from audience demanding that particular track or the audience liking that particular- it never has- when other Madonna tracks have debuted high in airplay, or tracks from other acts. Age be damned, it was an anticipated single, because of the Super Bowl and everything. Interest was fleeting for the track, for various reasons.

The track will drop big this week, but it was expected. Seriously, anyone who thought this track was going to be a No. 1 contender and a long-lasting hit really doesn't understand the dynamics.