UK CHART - THE SHOW IS OVER SAY GOODBYE!

horn

The UK's chart rules are confusing....

So the only sales figures from itunes being counted in GAYL's tally are sales of the individual track. The song when purchased through the MDNA pre-sale has not counted yet, but will be the week MDNA is released. Is that correct?

The UK's chart rules are confusing....

So the only sales figures from itunes being counted in GAYL's tally are sales of the individual track. The song when purchased through the MDNA pre-sale has not counted yet, but will be the week MDNA is released. Is that correct?

I'm hoping that they would count when the album is released like it happened to Coldplay's Paradise which went to no.14. In this case I don't know how many copies album sold but I would imagine it would be enough to go to top10 which would be fantastic.

From wikipedia:

According to Coldplay's official website, the single was not initially chart eligible in the United Kingdom, because it was available on iTunes as an "instant grat" (immediate download) when pre-ordering the album.[5]

Following the release of the album on 30 October 2011, the song became chart eligible in the UK and entered the UK Singles Chart at number 14, before taking the number 1 spot on its tenth week, becoming the band's second number-one single after "Viva la Vida" in 2008. The song was met with positive reviews

Edited by smirnoff_ice

OK...lol...a little confused again. It says the Coldplay song was not "chart eligible" until the release of the album because of it's presale. That makes it sound like it couldn't chart at all on the UK singles chart until the release of the album. If GMAYL/MDNA are following this same formula then why is GMAYL charting on the UK singles chart now at all?

OK...lol...a little confused again. It says the Coldplay song was not "chart eligible" until the release of the album because of it's presale. That makes it sound like it couldn't chart at all on the UK singles chart until the release of the album. If GMAYL/MDNA are following this same formula then why is GMAYL charting on the UK singles chart now at all?

Because MDNA's presale offer was for a few days only and it started charting after the offer ended. GMAYL is not being given for free anymore with the pre-orders. Probably Coldplay's offer continued till the actual album release date.

Ahh ok....thanks for explanation!

So the week MDNA is released GMAYL will get the sales it obtained during the album pre-sale plus whatever it sells that week in it's sales tally for determining it's chart position?

I too am in the UK - this is the first Madonna single ever I've not bought... (well apart from that Britney thing).

I'm coming to the conclusion that Madonna is now just very dull. At a point in her career where she should be comfortable with her success and maybe being more risky with her output she is desperately trying to compete with the kids which results in very under par chart tripe, whilst at the same time alienating her lifelong fans.

The Graham Norton interview as a whole made me cringe - she came accross as a rude bxxch (but not in a good way).

As for her Hyde Park concert - fxxk off you greedy bxxch, if you want my money play somewhere that suits your fans not just you.

Rant over.

I am hoping that MDNA will have some good tracks and help restore my faith in her - of course I will be buying it on the day of release ;-)

I think you got it totally wrong dear.

U don't think GMAYL is risky? This song is nothing like what is popular right now..it takes guts to release a 60's sounding pop song in 2012.

Madonna said even herself: she wants to bring the fun music back and be different whats on the radio right now hence: every record sounds the same.

Otherwise she could've just release a song with David Guetta.

It's never over. :) Obviously it's not the early 2000's any more, when all the singles from an album would be expected to go top 10, but a Madonna lead single will still do well with proper promotion.

She'll have to do it without Radio 1 though I feel -that's it for her on Radio 1 now, unless she has a monster hit that forces them to play it. Even then they will ignore the next one. She should be aiming at Radio 2 and a more adult audience.

Because Hyde park is an absolutely shit venue!!! Bad access, bad catering, bad views, bad acoustics. Just shitness. For me, it's not even close to where I want to see her perform here. I'm probably going to fly over to Copenhagen.

COMPLETELY agree about Hyde Park. It's a terrible place for gigs. The venue is the main reason I'm not going to the London show. I wanted to see her at an arena, so I'm going to Amsterdam.

Regarding the chart position, I don't think there's any point discussing it, simply because we don't know what it would have been had the three days of pre-order sales been counted. Chances are it would have gone Top 10, gotten more airplay and then had more legs sales-wise. Radio won't play something that's at the arse end of the Top 40. It's just unfortunate really. I guess we'll know for sure when the next single comes out. "Give Me All Your Luvin'" isn't her strongest lead single, no question, but it's really not that terrible. It's a light-hearted pop song, no more, no less.

Of course, I could be COMPLETELY wrong and my dear UK brethren might indeed hate her because she binned off Mockney Ritchie :dramatic: Utter twaddle.

Drama galore!!!! :lmao: Please, she will sell a lot in UK with next single. This joke of a song was a way to get loads of atention in US for the Super bowl. And she succeded. MDNA starts with the second single.

GMAYL is not risky. It's kids pop music. Give us something with artistic merit.

Perhaps she has another American Life or Mer Girl in store for you? It would've just flopped even harder today.

Just no lol she is not doing well because her song is not really getting airplay and the video seems not being played on the music channels in the uk,plus the Super bowl would probably have zero effect over here on her sales,General people aka none fans or loons are just not that much aware IMO!

Drama galore!!!! :lmao: Please, she will sell a lot in UK with next single. This joke of a song was a way to get loads of atention in US for the Super bowl. And she succeded. MDNA starts with the second single.

I sort of have to agree. I HATE to say 'buzz single' but here it seems sort of appropriate. Let's hope she promotes the next one and we'll see what happens.

Funny that this thread references another song that was huge in the States but unexpectedly flopped over here. Just shows that what's big over there can't be guaranteed to be big over here.

I sort of have to agree. I HATE to say 'buzz single' but here it seems sort of appropriate. Let's hope she promotes the next one and we'll see what happens.

I like the idea of releasing a "buzz single" first,then releasing the "real" first single a week before the albums is released.Many artists do this nowadays and it's an effective strategy.This is what they should have done with GMAYL.

Guest groovyguy

Since some insist on saying how GMAYL is flopping in the UK over and over again, I guess it's necessary to keep posting the article that explains why it's not charting well.

http://www.digitalspy.com/music/news/a364883/madonna-give-me-all-your-luvin-single-sales-discounted-from-chart.html

A large percentage of Madonna's new single sales have been discounted from this week's chart.

The star offered fans a promotion which allowed them to download her new single 'Give Me All Your Luvin'' for free if they pre-ordered her upcoming album MDNA on iTunes.

However, the Official Charts Company has now confirmed that the free downloads offered on Sunday and Monday (February 5 and 6) will not be put towards her chart ranking.

Fans were left confused when 'Give Me All Your Luvin'' failed to make this week's midweek chart update yesterday (February 8) and started to question the Official Charts Company on Twitter.

They responded by stating: "It was viewed as an incentive to purchase the album before the single went officially on sale on Tuesday, so those sales were discounted.

Same shit different toilets ... come on! at the end the important thing is if you like or not the song / album, we've been here before ... if you like it then great, it doesn't care if it's number 1 or not, and if you don't like it, just deal with it, you cannot always get what you want.

On the other hand i love this forum, and without the drama, it wouldn't be the same

I too am in the UK - this is the first Madonna single ever I've not bought... (well apart from that Britney thing).

I'm coming to the conclusion that Madonna is now just very dull. At a point in her career where she should be comfortable with her success and maybe being more risky with her output she is desperately trying to compete with the kids which results in very under par chart tripe, whilst at the same time alienating her lifelong fans.

The Graham Norton interview as a whole made me cringe - she came accross as a rude bxxch (but not in a good way).

As for her Hyde Park concert - fxxk off you greedy bxxch, if you want my money play somewhere that suits your fans not just you.

See what I mean?

Same shit different toilets ... come on! at the end the important thing is if you like or not the song / album, we've been here before ... if you like it then great, it doesn't care if it's number 1 or not, and if you don't like it, just deal with it, you cannot always get what you want.

On the other hand i love this forum, and without the drama, it wouldn't be the same

:lmao:

Reminds me one of Whitney's song...

As for her Hyde Park concert - fxxk off you greedy bxxch, if you want my money play somewhere that suits your fans not just you.Rant over.

"alienating her lifelong fans"? :lol: Funny,I don't see too many lifelong fans jumping ship.Sure,the fans who don't like GMAYL are very vocal about it,but rest assured,they will be buying the album and seeing her in concert this year.

If you really believe that she has turned into a "dull,rude bxxch",why are *you* sticking around? That's what I thought! :lol:

Guest groovyguy

Rant over.

I am hoping that MDNA will have some good tracks and help restore my faith in her - of course I will be buying it on the day of release ;-)

Time to hand in your fan card. Wait. Sounds like you already have! You're already telling her to fxxk off so why are you here?

Ha ha, well it's hard to hand back my fan card after 27 years of obsession and I do want her to successful. It's just frustrating that as I'm now older I realise that she no longer is all that.

Guest groovyguy

Ha ha, well it's hard to hand back my fan card after 27 years of obsession and I do want her to successful. It's just frustrating that as I'm now older I realise that she no longer is all that.

I cannot understand this "love-hate" sentiment. I mean. It's all very simple. Don't like what she's putting out now? Don't download. Don't buy! Don't like what and where she's performing? Don't attend! Don't like her interviews on TV. Don't watch! Don't like any of her other projects? Don't pay attention to them! You talk of many years of obsession, yet you sound like you're disliking her a lot now. In fact, you sound like a Madonna hater! Telling her to fxxk off? Seriously! Your negative comment about her Graham Norton's interview is very telling! Someone who's been a fan of 27 years should get Madonna and would not give that kind of comment. You say you want her to be successful yet you're not buying her song(s). Fine. I get it. You don't like the song. But why would you be concerned about her success when you're not supporting her? IMO, those who don't buy her records shouldn't complain about her 'poor' chart performance! Why do I get the strange feeling that the ones complaining and whining about her song(s) 'flopping' on the charts are the ones not buying?

Monster detected. Ban?

This has been coming for a while. She's basically pissed off too many people in the UK. The backlash probably started around the divorce.

Then there was the debacle at S&S Wembley stadium show with sound issues, ticket prices, (£160 to sit at

the back of a stadium, the late finish leaving people with transport problems. Next was the S$S O2 Arena shows when she came on late and got booed. (I was there

she got booed and it was uncomfortable). Again people left the show late. The media and general public perceive her to be old, arrogant, self obsessed and

not acting age appropriately - young boy friends, her dress sense, to much surgery, fillers etc. To be honest I don't think the

Graham Norton interview did her any favours. Many people feel she reinforced what a lot of general public think, that she is

rude and bitchy. I have read comments where people think the interview came across as awkward and her body language was terrible.

She needs to do some serious damage control if she is going to win back a lot the fans she has lost.

Sorry Mark, I often agree with what you have to say, but most of that is bollocks.