UK CHART - THE SHOW IS OVER SAY GOODBYE!

horn

It seems like the UK have been giving her an extra hard time after she divorced Guy and fell out of love with London. SO MUCH FOR THAT.

Huh? That's not true at all. She still spends a lot of time in London. The press opinion on her really didn't change that much either.

The song is okay. Good when performed. Lukewarm reception everywhere. Usually Madonna's best looked @ in retrospect but I don't think so this time. She gets a bit too comfortable when something's super successful (see even 4M which was mixed critically) but fights next round when it isn't, the #s don't lie, that's all. After all, she hasn't read anything about herself post-2006. :wow:

life and the good times go on. :flirt:

Guest Coked Up Baby Boy

This song is less chidish than a lot of the stuff artists release that become hits (I'm looking at you, Adele).

Sometimes i read things or meet people who make me lose hope in humanity. This is one of those times.

I don't have the option of booking time off. Can't do that with my job. As for M divorcing Guy or leaving London, I've not heard that from Madonna fans as a reason for GMAYL not doing well in uk. People generally just aren't talking about M. There's no buzz. The superbowl hit the papers. Then kept going for a while due to M.I.A sticking her finger up. Then nowt. Nothing. Does look like someone doesn't have their finger on the pulse. All gone quiet. Physical release of GMAYL should have gone out Monday after super bowl. Super bowl seemed to be positively received in uk. It's alright creating buzz as a lead up to something but it's not lead up to anything. What are we waiting for? What's happening next? Trouble is noone in uk seems to be talking about it. Promotion not really well handled in uk. Nothing's exploded and it could have done! Oh well. Seems like a non-event/anti-climax. Fingers crossed for something though!

Edited by topdog

:blink:

You think you'd get a simultaneous super high profile performance, video and early iTunes release on Warners then? Maybe it could be something to do with the actual song. Just a thought.

I'd say Live Nation had more involvement in securing the Super Bowl. The Super Bowl performance as an event and the timing of the video were perfect...they just should not have given the single away as a pre-purchase track from the album on iTunes. That was the fuck up because it meant that 3 days worth of sales were pebble-dashed down the toilet pan like a good curry from the night before gone bad.

Huh? That's not true at all. She still spends a lot of time in London. The press opinion on her really didn't change that much either.

I agree there... in a way it made sense for her to be based in London, the UK was always a huge and loyal market for her, long before she moved there and lived in America it was a huge following. Come the 90s she became much more European and eventually got back into London after rocky rides with the UK press after Evita.

There is a two track cd single announced to hit the stores in Germany later this month or early March. That is the only physical release that's been announced so far, which is a shame, since a fine 12" vinyl, even a picture disc one would be wonderful to have. You can look this one up for preorder on ebay and I think amazon.de also

When are we going to stop blaming record labels and start blaming Madonna for making shitty music and trying to pass it off as art?

Finally some sense! :clap:

Paul Grein's Yahoo Chart Blog:

Billboard Top 10 hit singles

1. Kelly Clarkson, "Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You)." The song holds at #1 for the second week in its eighth week on the chart. This is its fourth week in the top 10. Digital sales rank: #2 (260K).

2. Adele, "Set Fire To The Rain." The former #1 song holds at #2 its 24rd week on the chart. This is its eighth week in the top 10. Digital sales rank: #4 (187K).

3. fun. featuring Janelle Monae, "We Are Young." The song vaults from #41 to #3 in its eighth week. This is the first top 10 hit for both acts. Digital sales rank: #1 (296K).

4. LMFAO, "Sexy And I Know It." The former #1 song rebounds from #7 to #4 in its 24th week on the chart. This is its 21st week in the top 10. Digital sales rank: #5 (170K).

5. Flo Rida, "Good Feeling." The song drops from #3 to #5 in its 20th week on the chart. This is its 15th week in the top 10. Digital sales rank: #13 (111K).

6. Rihanna featuring Calvin Harris, "We Found Love." The former #1 song drops from #4 to #6 in its 21st week on the chart. This is its 20th week in the top 10. Digital sales rank: #17 (89K).

7. Whitney Houston, "I Will Always Love You." The former #1 song re-enters at #7. This is its 17th week in the top 10. Digital sales rank: #3 (195K).

8. David Guetta featuring Nicki Minaj, "Turn Me On." The song drops from #5 to #8 in its 11th week on the chart. This is its fifth week in the top 10. The song tops the 1 million mark in digital sales this week. Digital sales rank: #8 (139K).

9. Tyga, "Rack City." The song drops from #7 to #9 in its 12th week on the chart. This is its fourth week in the top 10. The song tops the 1 million mark in digital sales this week. Digital sales rank: #7 (139K).

10. Madonna featuring Nicki Minaj and M.I.A., "Give Me All Your Luvin." The song jumps from #13 to #10 in its second week. This is the 38th top 10 hit for Madonna, the sixth for Minaj and the second for M.I.A. Digital sales rank: #6 (165K).

I dunno I just remember everything pre-divorce always being glowing from the UK aside from the occasional "MADONNA IS A BABY STEALER" bullshit from the Daily Mail. They sent even her WORST singles to the top 10 (American Life, Give It 2 Me). Then when she divorced Guy, went back to New York, all of a sudden they don't wanna play her music anymore, suddenly she's too old? It's very COINCIDENTAL.

Guest Xanthium

Wasn't there a CD single released in the UK? If not, why not? That's kinda bizarre. Are CD singles losing their popularity in Europe now? When I was in London two years ago I went to every goddamn HMV and practically cried at all the beautiful singles :lol: As an American who grew up on cassette and CD singles, it breaks my heart that we don't have them anymore :(

You'll See was an incredible song. As were all the lead singles before JML. It was American Life that was the party pooper.

but omg if only GMYL has even 1/8 of a chart run as AL right abt. now LOL.

I cant believe the brilliance of the album title, cover, super bowl, promotion etc etc..just EVERYthing but the damn LEAD single! =? 4M really wasnt much better than GAYL (and pretty souless and NON M sounding) yet chart wise was one of her biggest friggin hits in the UK. Just.dunno whats going on with her and that market lol. I thought Europe doesnt give two f*cks age. I still say its just NOT the kinda of song the UK will kiss a*s too even if its M. 4M for some reason worked this song doesnt in any way shape of form.

so,GMAYL is officially a Top 10 hit in America but I'm sure that some fans will still insist that it's a "flop" :lol:

whats more important though are the NON fans. Just the fact it hit Top 10 and is getting positive media attention will def. inject some life into the 1st week album sales. maybe not a lot, but more than if she peaked at #13 or #11!

I think her next single will do better with proper UK promo... Also, don't forget that MDNA's UK pre-orders will count as GMAYL sales when MDNA is officially released on itunes. So GMAYL is kinda guaranteed to skyrocket into the top 10 then.

But I still don't understand why she didn't repeat 4M's or even Celebration's chart performance with GMAYL. It's probably cuz she 100% ignored the UK in favour of the USA this time around. Oh well... :sassy:

I just hope MDNA doesn't flop Femme Fatale-style there. ilikep1.gif

Edited by AyuM

I dunno I just remember everything pre-divorce always being glowing from the UK aside from the occasional "MADONNA IS A BABY STEALER" bullshit from the Daily Mail. They sent even her WORST singles to the top 10 (American Life, Give It 2 Me). Then when she divorced Guy, went back to New York, all of a sudden they don't wanna play her music anymore, suddenly she's too old? It's very COINCIDENTAL.

i agree... reading from what others have been posting here from the UK, they hated her after her split-up with Guy...

they super loved her during his time with Guy and being like an adoptive daughter being the lady of the manor and all...

i agree... reading from what others have been posting here from the UK, they hated her after her split-up with Guy...

they super loved her during his time with Guy and being like an adoptive daughter being the lady of the manor and all...

Agree. When she was with Guy most of the media loved her. Her peak was the Confessions era, she could basically

do no wrong. She was everywhere. The free concerts and GAY and KoKo, the hype around HU and COADF was huge.

The fact that Stuart Price produced the album really helped plus she did loads of tv shows and interviews.

Hopefully the next single will be handled better and she will do

some promo.