UK CHART - THE SHOW IS OVER SAY GOODBYE!

horn

That's a bit of a delusional statement. I know she's the same age now that Cher was when Believe was released but the age thing has been a big factor since the Music era at least....ROL era arguably as she was "old" then for a pop star but I'd say each era that passes it's more and more of an issue.

Hey Kurt, I can vouch for that. Being a huge fan since the mid 80's, a kid myself, and then nearly 20 years later, while working with kids, Madonna wasn't really "hip" with the kids in 2000. While on a field trip, riding back to school, on a bus full of 50 some teens, the radio was playing. "Music" came on. Before that, no one was really paying much attention to what was playing. Though, as soon as Madonna's song came on, I heard many students groan and say "ewwww Madonna". Now, I realize that with a small group, that doesn't represent the whole nation or the world, but I will say it does represents how at least Middle America felt about her, especially the younger kids who listen to top 40 radio the most. Over the past ten years, still working with kids, I have seen a bit of an improvement regarding giving her a bit of respect, but over all, most kids have no interest in Madonna.

For the most part, top 40 pop/rock radio is listened mostly by kids and/or teens. I know they don't make up the whole demographics, but going back to when we were young, it was the same. I remember when I was a teen when Cher first made a huge comeback in '87, a lot of kids my age thought she was old and didn't care to hear her. So all in all, there is in fact an issue with age. Some people will try to dismiss it or say it's an "excuse", but it isn't. It's the truth. Radio (or at least top 40 pop/rock) is mostly made up of songs that are geared at kids/teens and maybe young adults. I'm not saying that older people don't enjoy it or do not listen, but the majority of the demographics are teens/young adults.

That all said, I had a few second graders come up to me the day after the Super Bowl to ask if she was 50. Of course, they have no idea I am a big fan, but they assumed I probably watched the Super Bowl. When I told them how old she was, they were impressed. They said she looked like she was in her 20's and said she was very cool at the Half-Time!

I find this thread hilarious only from the assumption that some people think Guy Ritchie is some popular icon in the UK. He is and always was a joke. An upper class guy trying to pass himself off as a mock cockney geezer. He has had a couple of successful films, but he is more famous for who he married (and divorced), and the divorce certainly has done nothing to dent Madonna's popularity. If anything the fact they are good friends and have worked to have a good post divorce relationship for the sake of their children has only added to admiration for her.

Madonna has always been up and down, but lets face it, she does not resonate with youngsters anymore. People are also missing the point the single has sold enough to be top 10 but has been excluded from this because of stupid chart rules.

The album will be number 1 and that in itself will generate interest, but she does need good promotion which is what is lacking here and over Europe at the moment.

As for the Hyde Park show, if I lived in London I would not go to it because its all standing. I work in London on a monthly basis, but have said to my office that i will not be travelling there July or August this year until the Olympics is done as the place will be a nightmare to travel within and to find accommodation. Live Nation should have thought of this and have her return to London at the end of the European leg for a few arena shows, and done another couple of arenas meantime elsewhere in the UK. Hotels in London are expensive enough without adding in the extra people travelling in for the Olympics and / or big concert events. Look at Edinburgh, four star hotels are wanting 220 pounds a night when she is playing Murrayfield because of the amount of people travelling in.

Well, the Americans know much more about what we think than we do. :)

James Masterton (UK Chart Analyst/Expert) commented in his podcast a couple of weeks back that GMAYL was a decent pop song and basically implied that it deserved to be a hit. He was pondering the reason why it as shaping up to be a miss for her in the UK. He reiterated that as far as pop songs go, there was nothing wrong with it, but he suggested that maybe at 53, Madonna had reached the stage where her music wasn't seen as relevant by the younger music buying public. He likened the situation to Kylie Minogue. He said that "Aphrodite" was just as good as her previous releases, but the public just wasn't interested. He wondered whether this is what was happening now with Madonna, but said that it still remained to be seen.

In a nutshell, he felt that the song was good and deserved to be a hit, but that the public might be losing interest in 53 year old Madonna as a viable pop artist (due to her age).

James Masterton (UK Chart Analyst/Expert) commented in his podcast a couple of weeks back that GMAYL was a decent pop song and basically implied that it deserved to be a hit. He was pondering the reason why it as shaping up to be a miss for her in the UK. He reiterated that as far as pop songs go, there was nothing wrong with it, but he suggested that maybe at 53, Madonna had reached the stage where her music wasn't seen as relevant by the younger music buying public. He likened the situation to Kylie Minogue. He said that "Aphrodite" was just as good as her previous releases, but the public just wasn't interested. He wondered whether this is what was happening now with Madonna, but said that it still remained to be seen.

In a nutshell, he felt that the song was good and deserved to be a hit, but that the public might be losing interest in 53 year old Madonna as a viable pop artist (due to her age).

This is a problem for her in America,as well.This is why excellent singles like "Jump","Get Together" and "Miles Away" were ignored by US radio.It has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of the songs.That's why the Top 10 position for "GMAYL" is so significant.I don't expect this to happen too many more times.If "GMAYL" had been recorded by Katy Perry or Rihanna,it would be Number One by now.

Guest bluejean

If "GMAYL" had been recorded by Katy Perry or Rihanna,it would be Number One by now.

Probably true. IMO none of the Katy Perry singles from Teenage Dream were anything special. Not to say I hated them, but even California Gurls and Teenage Dream were growers for me. Yes they are catchy after repeated listens, but they're not classic melodies.

This is a problem for her in America,as well.This is why excellent singles like "Jump","Get Together" and "Miles Away" were ignored by US radio.It has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of the songs.That's why the Top 10 position for "GMAYL" is so significant.I don't expect this to happen too many more times.If "GMAYL" had been recorded by Katy Perry or Rihanna,it would be Number One by now.

That's why I have a problem with the whole "quality" argument. Firstly, "quality" is subjective from person to person so how can she release a song that EVERYONE thinks is great quality? She'll never please everyone there. Also that implies that the reason many of the truly great singles she's released these past 10-13 years or so haven't performed is because they aren't good. I highly doubt ALL of those songs have had universal hate. IMO and the opinion of many of her fans, she's had some of her best singles in that time. Call it excuses or what you'd like but it's BEEN obvious something else is going on here besides people just don't like the songs.

That's why I have a problem with the whole "quality" argument. Firstly, "quality" is subjective from person to person so how can she release a song that EVERYONE thinks is great quality? She'll never please everyone there. Also that implies that the reason many of the truly great singles she's released these past 10-13 years or so haven't performed is because they aren't good. I highly doubt ALL of those songs have had universal hate. IMO and the opinion of many of her fans, she's had some of her best singles in that time. Call it excuses or what you'd like but it's BEEN obvious something else is going on here besides people just don't like the songs.

Exactly.

James Masterton (UK Chart Analyst/Expert)

lol, that joke? We used to make fun of him on dotmusic back in the day.

That's why I have a problem with the whole "quality" argument. Firstly, "quality" is subjective from person to person

Not adequate. :noway: Of course things are subjective, it's lameorama to wheel that one out, is there even any point saying so? But there's also such a thing as overall consensus as well.

UK i-tunes update :queenbitch:

#91 United Kingdom

FLOPDONNA

The song is over in the UK. Clearly radio and the public did not embrace it. I think the estimated 140k pre order downloads were way

off the mark. There is no way it would drop down the chart so fast the 2nd week. It was probably

around 40k. Anyway its time to move onto the next single. Let's hope it fares better. They really

need to be on the ball with the promo. Getting some decent remixes/dub versions into the clubs now

would be a start. Start getting some hype going about the album.

It is all getting a bit desperate when single number 2 (which hasn't even been heard) is being hailed as the saviour of the era, just 2 weeks after the release of the 1st.

I would love to be proved wrong but I doubt any of the subsequent single(s) released off MDNA will go top 10. Remember, even M herself stated how the demo of GMAYL was very different to the finished version. Sadly we were delivered the same throwaway song with the odd addition of two female rap sections that had no harmony with the simple pop song. Doesn't bode well for single number 2 if they thought GMAYL was worth the hype.

That said, GMAYL is better than the 37 peak. With the discounted sales it would have made top 20 I'm sure but it's plummet down the charts is sad to see. I guess radio aren't backing it because of the demo leak. Any buzz and anticipation was lost in the three months to the lacklustre final version release.

I still haven't heard it on any radio station in London or in Brighton. Only the first day on Capital Fm. What about any other members from the UK? I've even heard Love Profusion, Jump and Give It 2 Me the last couple of weeks.

It looks like the song is going to be out of the top100 by tomorrow.:(

The irony is that Nicki Minaj has like 2 songs in the top10 and like 4-5 songs ahead of Madonna while MIA's new single is ahead of Madge too.

I only heard it on capital during the 3 day promo and that was it. I work at Asda and they play it instore quite alot not that it counts much or what not but thats it really. Infact my local station in Birmingham (UK) BRMB are actually gearing up for the 2nd single and playing snippets etc

Spin, spin, spin, a sweater for you Kurt...

1014kavanaugh.jpg

Thank you for some sanity! The previous posts were bordering on loon-frenzy.

Let's face it, GIVE ME A BUCKET really was just NOT that good! I've yet to meet a SINGLE PERSON in REAL LIFE to say that they actually LIKE it (let alone LOVE it.)

I still haven't heard it on any radio station in London or in Brighton. Only the first day on Capital Fm. What about any other members from the UK? I've even heard Love Profusion, Jump and Give It 2 Me the last couple of weeks.

It looks like the song is going to be out of the top100 by tomorrow. :(

The irony is that Nicki Minaj has like 2 songs in the top10 and like 4-5 songs ahead of Madonna while MIA's new single is ahead of Madge too.

I don't listen to the radio but I havent heard it in bars etc much around Brighton.