UK CHART - THE SHOW IS OVER SAY GOODBYE!

horn

Remember, it's not like the old days. You can't really look at it that way. She's a BRAND now so EVERYTHING in this era collectively is what counts. So...the money earned from the single, the album, the perfume that's about to be released, the continued success of MG, I guess the gym(s) is doing decently (??), the tour coming up.....all that pads their bank accounts too. I'm sure they are (or will be verrrry soon) quite pleased.

The song made people aware that she's "back". It performed satisfactory in the country it was most targeted in plus some other unexpected territories and it underperformed in others. Big deal. It's one song. She's not Lady Gaga, this isn't going to break her or even put a dent in this era much less her career.

Everything she does now is with the goal of the bigger picture in mind.

Which is... The Tour!

When you really think about it,a song like GMAYL probably wasn't meant to be a long-term single (a song that stays on the charts for a long time).It features cheerleaders and a football-themed video,but football season is already over.How could it possibly have longevity? No one is talking or thinking about football anymore.Increasingly,I really think that it was a "buzz single" to promote,announce,and get people exited about her SuperBowl appearance.If that's the case,the song has done its job.

Guest Xanthium

When you really think about it,a song like GMAYL probably wasn't meant to be a long-term single (a song that stays on the charts for a long time).It features cheerleaders and a football-themed video,but football season is already over.How could it possibly have longevity? No one is talking or thinking about football anymore.Increasingly,I really think that it was a "buzz single" to promote,announce,and get people exited about her SuperBowl appearance.If that's the case,the song has done its job.

This is my line of thinking as well.

I would really like to believe that,but I think Cher's success with "Believe" is a rare occurence that doesn't happen very often.I would love to be proved wrong ;)

how old was Cher when she released believe? and Tina with Private Dancer?

anyways, madonna is far mor popular than Cher before Believe

They said from the beginning, 2 singles before the album. GMAYL played once an hour on US radio til superbowl= promo for SB halftime show = tour tickets on sale (so many US dates, and they're selling!) which brings us to the proper launch of MDNA in March with a new single.

I think the right song can trascend the age thing. Cher did it and she was TRULY a relic. Sure Katy Perry is having hits with shit but that's because this is her breakthrough era.

That's a bit of a delusional statement. I know she's the same age now that Cher was when Believe was released but the age thing has been a big factor since the Music era at least....ROL era arguably as she was "old" then for a pop star but I'd say each era that passes it's more and more of an issue.

And I'm sorry but people bring up this Cher/Believe thing like it's the "norm". That was a fluke. Even Madonna was starting to get the cold shoulder more consistently from radio at that time. ROL (the song) didn't exactly light the airplay charts on fire in the US although it was a legit hit and AP one of her biggest worldwide hits was all but ignored on US radio. NONE of her biggest "diva" rivals from those times are played now. Even Mariah and Janet who SHOULD have it easier as they are multi-format artists struggle to get hits these days. Whitney hadn't been played in ages....Celine hasn't had a radio hit in years. Madonna and the "new pack" of divas are the ones left standing at this point and when they are dried up Madonna will still probably "barely" be having hits then. I mean look at your post...and many posts in this forum....we aren't comparing her to her "peers" we are comparing her to her "pop music children" if you will. Were we expecting Diana Ross to outdo or equal Janet, Whitney and Mariah back in 1993 when she was 30 years into her career? NO and Diana was probably THE biggest female pop star before Madonna (or Aretha and she's another one who hasn't had a top 10 since the 80's).

how old was Cher when she released believe? and Tina with Private Dancer?

anyways, madonna is far mor popular than Cher before Believe

Cher was 53 give or take a few months. Tina was in her mid 40's. The difference is that Cher had previous success as a solo artist earlier in the 90's as well as the late 80's and then some in the 70's. Tina broke out as a mega solo artist with Private Dancer and each album after for the next ten years did relatively well for her. Not to the massive success as PRIVATE DANCER which sold 20 million world-wide, but her follow up albums did manage to sell anywhere between 4 to 7 million world-wide.

I'm sure they didn't wish the single to drop big from the top 10 or anything of the sort- but, there doesn't look to be long-term focus for GMAYL- as evidenced by M announcing more than a week ago that that she was filming the video for the next single very soon.

GMAYL isn't an uber-smash for a variety of reasons:

1. The general public isn't crazy about it

2. It IS tied to the Super Bowl/football. Would M have done the video and included cheering in GMAYL if she were not performing at the SB? Probably not. And note during the first-weekend airplay that M's message reiterated to catch her performing the track at the SB. SO, yes- CC promo or not- it was an event single, tied to the biggest annual event in America. It was going to get decent play (for Madonna), regardless. She even may have composed GMAYL with the SB in mind- who knows.

3. And, of course, her age will always be a factor (less so in countries outside the USA, but I still imagine that pre-teens and teens in any country aren't going to be that into a pop star in her 50s).

The airplay the track received in its second week in the USA is about in line with what a new Madonna track can expect at this point (unless she got someone as radio-hot as Justin Timberlake on a track again, but even, still she wasn't in her 50s in 2008). But, it rode the Super Bowl promo into a No. 10 peak, and that is satisfactory for it.

A No. 37 peak in the UK is most definitely a flop by Madonna standards-that's just two spots higher than "Miles Away," for cryin' out loud. But does that mean she will never score a top hit there again? of course not.

THIS

Enough already with Cher and "Believe". Zzzzzzzzzzzz... completely different situations anyway as Cher was never, ever as omnipotent or massive as Madonna.

"GMAYL" is a UK flop - end of story.

No need to mull over its US success. It was a Top 10 hit - that's fantastic. Who cares if it was "forced" or not? It's damned if you do, damned if you don't sometimes with the poor woman. If it's a flop, fans go into meltdown - conspiracy! No airplay because she's old! Prejudice etc. and then if it does become a US hit then it's "bought" by her record company?

:manson:

Enough already with Cher and "Believe". Zzzzzzzzzzzz... completely different situations anyway as Cher was never, ever as omnipotent or massive as Madonna.

No need to mull over its US success. It was a Top 10 hit - that's fantastic. Who cares if it was "forced" or not? It's damned if you do, damned if you don't sometimes with the poor woman. If it's a flop, fans go into meltdown - conspiracy! No airplay because she's old! Prejudice etc. and then if it does become a US hit then it's "bought" by her record company?

:lmao::thumbsup:

I know this has been asked before but I can't find the answer anywhere...

How will you get the free copy of the album with the ticket? Will it count towards Billboard? They just don't hand them out, right?

When purchasing a ticket, you'll get a choice of a code/voucher (maybe not the right term?) that will allow you to either purchase a download or hard copy. From what I heard, they will be counted, because you still purchase the item, but as you check out, you'll be able to punch in the promotional code, and when you check out, it will cost $0. Though, I can't say they won't charge you for shipping if you order a hard copy.

OH PLEASE. If it was a certain other singer you'd be FOAMING AT THE MOUTH like you are with every minute detail of her career.

Double standards. As simple as that. Can you imagine her trying to peddle albums with tickets? The place would go into MELTDOWN. Yet it's ok with Madonna.

Of course it is. It's a Madonna forum not a Lady Gaga one. At least we're not faking her death on Twitter. She should be happy with a little double standard going on.

Although apparently the album price will be factored into the ticket and not given away for free.

It’s hardly a surprise. Bottom line is, it’s not a strong song. I find it hard to believe no one warned her against releasing it. She should have gone off the fans reaction to the leak and stayed clear of releasing it. Judging from the Girls Gone Wild and Turn Up The Radio snippets, they sound weak too. Hate to say it but MDNA could be the first Madonna era I’ll pass on. Hopefully this will finally inspire her to stop releasing throwaway pop songs...

It’s hardly a surprise. Bottom line is, it’s not a strong song. I find it hard to believe no one warned her against releasing it. She should have gone off the fans reaction to the leak and stayed clear of releasing it. Judging from the Girls Gone Wild and Turn Up The Radio snippets, they sound weak too. Hate to say it but MDNA could be the first Madonna era I’ll pass on. Hopefully this will finally inspire her to stop releasing throwaway pop songs...

Thanks for sharing. Don't let the door hit your arse on the way out. Good bye!

Thanks for sharing. Don't let the door hit your arse on the way out. Good bye!

:doh:

Do you realise how fucking stupid you sound? You don't agree with my opinion so you spit your dummy!? Anyway whatever, not going to stick around arguing with a loser.

Why don't you at least wait until you actually *hear* the album before you dismiss it? Remember,there are going to be some introspective,serious songs on the album too.

Why don't you at least wait until you actually *hear* the album before you dismiss it? Remember,there are going to be some introspective,serious songs on the album too.

Keywords could be the first era I pass on.