UK CHART - THE SHOW IS OVER SAY GOODBYE!

horn

It always makes me laugh when people say ''it flopped coz it's not a good song.'' What is a ''good song'' anyway? It all depends on each person's taste. For me, horrible songs become big hits all the time.

Also it's kinda funny to see that when the song leaked many people seemed to be negative about the song, then the video came out(and the Superbowl peformance) and they all liked them and the vibe became positive, then it flops in some markets and they're back to being negative again.

Guest ogracia

Well I need to write some facts to all this no sense... Let be clear main reason to this song not doing well is Interescope , I mean do they really believe that Madonna's Fans are going to act as Gaga fans????

1. Who the fuck decided to release the song on Friday and ONLY ON ITUNES? why is not a FUCKING PHYSICAL SINGLE!!! they really expect that I pay for a fucking song on mp3?? Really? So first thing they get for granted EVERYONE HAS AN IPHONE OR IPOD... Well Interescope...NO HALF OF THE WORLD USES ANDROID! WTF YOU DON'T RELEASE A CD ON MONDAY!!! So many people use Spotify or Zunepass or Pandora or Grooveshark...so why? Why? Pay for something that you can have with your streaming system, or like so many other fans...well get it free from internet...anyway I'll by buying the single with the remixes... 4min did better? Of course fuking idiots it was the digital single and the physical single with remixes!t!! This fucking moronns didn't even have release the vinyl to be played at clubs!!! The remixes are not released, I downloaded them from internet!!! And last WHO WAS THE GENIUS THAT DIDN'T NOTICE FREE DOWNLOAS WON'T BE COUNT FOR CHARTS???? so all this big disaster of promotion has nothing to do with the song or with the UK turning his back to her.... Is the results of a really poorly planed release . And about the UK dates not selling....Please really? You believe peoples economy is right now like in the great shape to expensive tickets? She will sell them but so many people can't afford to pay the tickets right now for a concert in July!!!! REALLY I FEEL SO EMBARRASSED SEEN ALL THIS DRAMA QUEENS ACTING AND SPEAKING LIKE IF THEY KNOW ANYTHING ANYONE AND ALL THE TRUTH....YOU KNOW WHAT? YOU DON'T YOU ONLY MAKE A FULL OF YOURSELF.

Well I need to write some facts to all this no sense... Let be clear main reason to this song not doing well is Interescope , I mean do they really believe that Madonna's Fans are going to act as Gaga fans????

1. Who the fuck decided to release the song on Friday and ONLY ON ITUNES? why is not a FUCKING PHYSICAL SINGLE!!! they really expect that I pay for a fucking song on mp3?? Really? So first thing they get for granted EVERYONE HAS AN IPHONE OR IPOD... Well Interescope...NO HALF OF THE WORLD USES ANDROID! WTF YOU DON'T RELEASE A CD ON MONDAY!!! So many people use Spotify or Zunepass or Pandora or Grooveshark...so why? Why? Pay for something that you can have with your streaming system, or like so many other fans...well get it free from internet...anyway I'll by buying the single with the remixes... 4min did better? Of course fuking idiots it was the digital single and the physical single with remixes!t!! This fucking moronns didn't even have release the vinyl to be played at clubs!!! The remixes are not released, I downloaded them from internet!!! And last WHO WAS THE GENIUS THAT DIDN'T NOTICE FREE DOWNLOAS WON'T BE COUNT FOR CHARTS???? so all this big disaster of promotion has nothing to do with the song or with the UK turning his back to her.... Is the results of a really poorly planed release . And about the UK dates not selling....Please really? You believe peoples economy is right now like in the great shape to expensive tickets? She will sell them but so many people can't afford to pay the tickets right now for a concert in July!!!! REALLY I FEEL SO EMBARRASSED SEEN ALL THIS DRAMA QUEENS ACTING AND SPEAKING LIKE IF THEY KNOW ANYTHING ANYONE AND ALL THE TRUTH....YOU KNOW WHAT? YOU DON'T YOU ONLY MAKE A FULL OF YOURSELF.

amen

I haven't even heard of this on the US club charts. Normally even her album tracks go to #1 there.

There is nothing physical for anyone to buy, anywhere.

etc etc etc

Hopefully this is part of Interscopes plan, to not have this song around very long. If not, then they sabotaged it for no reason?

4min did better? Of course fuking idiots it was the digital single and the physical single with remixes!t!! This fucking moronns didn't even have release the vinyl to be played at clubs!!!

:lol:

I never understood the passion for chart position. This is not what music is about. If i had real interest in chart positions i'd have a passion for car racing which i don't. No single from "Bedtime stories" charted very well in the UK and it did not sabotage Madonna's career. Most of the songs i love never chart anyway and most of the songs i hate do. That said there's something really odd about "Give me all your love", it's kind of irritating. I just took a look at the uk charts for feb. 18th and most of the song on the top 60 are as annoying as "GMAYL" if not more....David Guetta ? I mean really ? As a french person i hereby present my apologies to the world in the name of my country for spawning this disease.

I never understood the passion for chart position. This is not what music is about. If i had real interest in chart positions i'd have a passion for car racing which i don't. No single from "Bedtime stories" charted very well in the UK and it did not sabotage Madonna's career. Most of the songs i love never chart anyway and most of the songs i hate do. That said there's something really odd about "Give me all your love", it's kind of irritating. I just took a look at the uk charts for feb. 18th and most of the song on the top 60 are as annoying as "GMAYL" if not more....David Guetta ? I mean really ? As a french person i hereby present my apologies to the world in the name of my coutry for spawning this disease.

GMAYL is Top 5 in France, still.

GMAYL is Top 5 in France, still.

I had to check. It says she's N°3. But Shakira with her horrible rendition of an already horrible french song is at the n°2 spot so it's not about quality :) I'm surprised to discover that amongst all the monstruosities in the french single charts Lykke Li is number 19 :)

And about the UK dates not selling....Please really? You believe peoples economy is right now like in the great shape to expensive tickets? She will sell them but so many people can't afford to pay the tickets right now for a concert in July!!!!

The UK dates will sell out. No worries. In 2008 the economy was no less shitty than it is today and she still managed to sell out 2 stadiums and three arena gigs, 9 months later (*waits for the usual suspects to point out she cancelled some 2009 gig in Manchester*). She is going to have another record-breaking tour. She is Madonna not some average pop starlet. :thumbsup:

It always makes me laugh when people say ''it flopped coz it's not a good song.'' What is a ''good song'' anyway? It all depends on each person's taste. For me, horrible songs become big hits all the time.

Also it's kinda funny to see that when the song leaked many people seemed to be negative about the song, then the video came out(and the Superbowl peformance) and they all liked them and the vibe became positive, then it flops in some markets and they're back to being negative again.

I've seen this pattern for years now. It's true a lot of fans are so engrossed in chart positions and what everyone else thinks, including the press, they tend to let that dictate to them what songs/albums they should like of Madonna. I'm a fan of the entertainer Madonna. Very little she does, I don't like. I'm not going to lie and say I like everything she does. Though, it's not based on what other people think. And no matter how much I dislike it, I certainly wouldn't spend so much time and energy defending why I DO NOT like something by her as some have. Why waste such time, when there is so much more of her that I do enjoy?

Whatever happens with this current single commercially, I will still enjoy it. Furthermore, I know that I will enjoy her new album immensely. And I'm sure there will be one or two songs on the album I won't favor, but that's my personal taste. Obviously, there will be others who will like certain things by Madonna I don't. This tells me that Madonna is versatile and is able to reach out to all her fans whether they are casual or hard core.

The UK dates will sell out. No worries. In 2008 the economy was no less shitty than it is today and she still managed to sell out 2 stadiums and three arena gigs, 9 months later (*waits for the usual suspects to point out she cancelled some 2009 gig in Manchester*). She is going to have another record-breaking tour. She is Madonna not some average pop starlet. :thumbsup:

It seems like on top of that there are some problems with Hyde Park residents and the concerts (hers, Springsteen, U2..) are possibly gonna be cancelled it's all over the media so i doubt people would buy tickets for a concert that may be cancelled and silly of her to do it in Hyde Park because people will enjoy it for free anyway even if they see shit (which is also the case with some standing paying tickets).

I've seen this pattern for years now. It's true a lot of fans are so engrossed in chart positions and what everyone else thinks, including the press, they tend to let that dictate to them what songs/albums they should like of Madonna. I'm a fan of the entertainer Madonna. Very little she does, I don't like. I'm not going to lie and say I like everything she does. Though, it's not based on what other people think. And no matter how much I dislike it, I certainly wouldn't spend so much time and energy defending why I DO NOT like something by her as some have. Why waste such time, when there is so much more of her that I do enjoy?

Whatever happens with this current single commercially, I will still enjoy it. Furthermore, I know that I will enjoy her new album immensely. And I'm sure there will be one or two songs on the album I won't favor, but that's my personal taste. Obviously, there will be others who will like certain things by Madonna I don't. This tells me that Madonna is versatile and is able to reach out to all her fans whether they are casual or hard core.

100% agree with you.

so can someone clarify this for me please without all the bullshit..

so, when the MDNA album is released, do all the sales for GMAYL get counted for - and there maybe a chance the song re-enters the chart??

MDNA is released March 26th. All sales do count for GMAYL. And of course, the song has every chance to re-enter any chart. Obviously, the UK isn't feeling the song as other nations are. No big deal. She can't conquer all markets all the time. And for the longest time, she was on top with UK when in the U.S. some of her singles didn't do as well.

I suspect Madonna and company are probably looking to do something to reach the UK fans. It may be a rush release of the second single. Though, I have a feeling, the intention is to release a second single before the album drops. But we'll see!!

Guest bluejean

I've seen this pattern for years now. It's true a lot of fans are so engrossed in chart positions and what everyone else thinks, including the press, they tend to let that dictate to them what songs/albums they should like of Madonna.

Overall I think most people who don't like the song just don't like the song, and haven't changed their story dramatically. They were just quieter about it when everyone was swept up in the excitement since noone else wanted to hear the negativity. Plus the video and Superbowl was exciting enough for everyone to give the song a chance. Now that the dust has settled the fact remains that alot of fans still don't think its a strong song. Including myself. And I DO I like it, but its not a strong single.

It seems like on top of that there are some problems with Hyde Park residents and the concerts (hers, Springsteen, U2..) are possibly gonna be cancelled it's all over the media so i doubt people would buy tickets for a concert that may be cancelled and silly of her to do it in Hyde Park because people will enjoy it for free anyway even if they see shit (which is also the case with some standing paying tickets).

The Independent

High-profile gigs by stars including Madonna will go ahead as planned in London's Hyde Park this summer after a decision by councillors.

But from next year the number of concerts at the outdoor venue will be reduced from 13 to nine, following complaints about noise.

The number of people attending events will be reduced from 80,000 to 65,000 and in some cases 50,000, again from 2013, Westminster Council's licensing sub-committee ruled.

In the meantime there will be improved provisions for safety at the end of concerts, including more stewards, and for cleaning up mess left after them, both in and around the park, with costs to be met by the Royal Parks.

There will also be more monitoring points for music with a repetitive bass beat, which will be tested through the 2012 events and reassessed later in the year.

Mayor of London Boris Johnson said he was "delighted" by the decision, which meant "all systems are go for a summer like no other in our Olympic year".

The number of concerts to be held came into question after residents in well-to-do Knightsbridge and Belgravia complained about noise.

There were 109 complaints from residents in 2011, around twice as many as in 2010.

Cllr Audrey Lewis, Westminster Council's licensing chairman, said: "Legally, as central London's licensing authority, we have a duty to balance the needs of local residents with the desire of concert organisers to hold events and the compromise that the committee has reached tonight does all of this."

Mr Johnson said: "I'm delighted that common sense has prevailed. Hyde Park is one of the crown jewels of London's great outdoors, attracting Londoners and tourists alike, and this fantastic news means all systems are go for a summer like no other in our Olympic year.

"Westminster are right to respect their residents, but they also have a responsibility for the economic vitality of the capital overall. Large-scale music events like the Hyde Park concerts make a massive contribution to London's economy, underpinning the city's reputation for great music and as a global leader at staging world-class events."

John Probyn, chief operating officer of Live Nation, which is promoting gigs featuring acts such as Bruce Springsteen and Madonna at the park this summer, said: "Live Nation is delighted with the outcome of today's meeting. This is good news for the thousands of Londoners and visitors from overseas enjoying all concerts we have in place, and also the London 2012 events in Hyde Park this summer.

"We have listened to the concerns of the residents and will continue to do so while working closely with Westminster Council and the Royal Parks."

Overall I think most people who don't like the song just don't like the song, and haven't changed their story dramatically. They were just quieter about it when everyone was swept up in the excitement since noone else wanted to hear the negativity. Plus the video and Superbowl was exciting enough for everyone to give the song a chance. Now that the dust has settled the fact remains that alot of fans still don't think its a strong song. Including myself. And I DO I like it, but its not a strong single.

Like you, I will agree it's not a "strong" first single. That is evident since it didn't resonate with a region (the UK) which has been one of her biggest supporters this past decade. But it is apparently not the flop some are trying to make out. Though, I am annoyed in how we've evolved into this culture that if a song doesn't immediately make it into the top40 or top ten, upon it's release, it's a bomb. What happen to the idea of letting a song built and climb. Some of her biggest songs and albums didn't debut in the top ten or even in the top 20. I'm a little put off by the fact, this song was forced on radio like it has, which no doubt was going to get a high top 20 debut if not top ten in the U.S., within it's first week, only letting that be it's "peak". I am not going to fool myself to think the song will stay in the top 10 next week on the U.S. charts. Whitney Houston's death has really changed the dynamics of the charts right now. Radio may be still playing her song, but for how much longer?

Anyway, I don't think the song is bad at all. It's a fun song. It should have longevity, but I don't think it's going to get that chance. I do think for a lot of fans, the leak ruined the momentum of the song.

Like you, I will agree it's not a "strong" first single. That is evident since it didn't resonate with a region (the UK) which has been one of her biggest supporters this past decade. But it is apparently not the flop some are trying to make out. Though, I am annoyed in how we've evolved into this culture that if a song doesn't immediately make it into the top40 or top ten, upon it's release, it's a bomb. What happen to the idea of letting a song built and climb. Some of her biggest songs and albums didn't debut in the top ten or even in the top 20. I'm a little put off by the fact, this song was forced on radio like it has, which no doubt was going to get a high top 20 debut if not top ten in the U.S., within it's first week, only letting that be it's "peak". I am not going to fool myself to think the song will stay in the top 10 next week on the U.S. charts. Whitney Houston's death has really changed the dynamics of the charts right now. Radio may be still playing her song, but for how much longer?

Anyway, I don't think the song is bad at all. It's a fun song. It should have longevity, but I don't think it's going to get that chance. I do think for a lot of fans, the leak ruined the momentum of the song.

Whitney Houston, the leaks... Haven't you had ENOUGH of excuses? The song is as much a grower as the latest Katy Perry track. Its very APPEAL is the immediate sugar rush you get from it.

Whitney Houston, the leaks... Haven't you had ENOUGH of excuses? The song is as much a grower as the latest Katy Perry track. Its very APPEAL is the immediate sugar rush you get from it.

And its actually much better than that god awful Katy Perry track which sounds just like her 3 last singles.

And its actually much better than that god awful Katy Perry track which sounds just like her 3 last singles.

Yet Katy Perry's track is at #1 on the Itunes chart (at least in the U.S.). Mark my words, it's going to be a top 5 smash.

Anyway, you can't dismiss Whitney's recent demise and her song charting in the Hot 100. There's no "excuse" about it. It's fact, her death has changed the whole dynamic of the charts that wouldn't be if she was still alive. I'm not saying Madonna's song would be #1 at this point, but any fool can see that between Whitney's death and also the Grammys (which we knew would change things as well) that the song has been given the shaft regarding how it charted and how much it's getting airplay.

Yet Katy Perry's track is at #1 on the Itunes chart (at least in the U.S.). Mark my words, it's going to be a top 5 smash.

Anyway, you can't dismiss Whitney's recent demise and her song charting in the Hot 100. There's no "excuse" about it. It's fact, her death has changed the whole dynamic of the charts that wouldn't be if she was still alive. I'm not saying Madonna's song would be #1 at this point, but any fool can see that between Whitney's death and also the Grammys (which we knew would change things as well) that the song has been given the shaft regarding how it charted and how much it's getting airplay.

Why is that everybody are complaining that GMAYL is flopping coz its bad, yet a much WORSE song is about to shoot no.1 on Billboard?

Why is that everybody are complaining that GMAYL is flopping coz its bad, yet a much WORSE song is about to shoot no.1 on Billboard?

I don't see GMAYL as flopping. The UK may make that call, but in the U.S. it's a top 10. Longevity may not be part of it's success, but I'll settle for it being another top 10 song from her.

As for Katy... I like her new song. Yeah, it's not too different from what she's been releasing, but in all fairness, it's part of a new repackaged edition of the Teenage Dream album. It's a great pop song. I knew when I heard it at the Grammys it would be a huge hit. Obviously, "worse" here is subjective. I don't really expect most Madonna fans who have no tolerance of any other female pop star gaining a lot of music success to praise her. But I simply enjoy the music. It's fun and enjoyable. That's what music should be all about.

4 Minutes is repetitive garbage...I can't stand listening to it anymore...one of M's worst singles...

And yet it was her biggest selling single since "Vogue" :lol:

Just goes to show that,if the diehard fans hate a song,it's likely that the mainstream will love it.How ironic,huh?

And yet it was her biggest selling single since "Vogue" :lol:

Just goes to show that,if the diehard fans hate a song,it's likely that the mainstream will love it.How ironic,huh?

Stop it honey. You can't compare physical singles sales with digital downloads.

Selling 1 million physical singles in the 90s is like selling 4-5million today.

You can't compare different eras. Even a few years make a difference. Mariah's "We Belong Together", the most successful song of the 2000s in the US has sold less that "4 Minutes". Does that make "4 Minutes" a bigger hit? Absolutely Not. Not even close. Digital sales were just not big in 2005.

Or is "4 Minutes" bigger than "Take A Bow" and "Music"? Absolutely not again. Just 2 examples released after Vogue. According to what you say, 4mins was her biggest hit after Vogue. :lol:

Even singles with mediocre success can sell 1-2million now. Which is way more than what huge smashes used to sell in the past.

Rihanna and Katy Perry have sold like 20-30million singles each in just a few years. Way more than Madonna or most other successful artist of the 80s, 90s and early 00s. They are not more successful though. They would have sold 30% of that if they had been big in the 80s and 90s.

Riri's and Katy Perry's smashes have sold 3-5 times more what Madonna's biggest smashes have sold! Not because they were biggest hits but because it's not 1980, 1990, 2000 or 2005 anymore.

It makes me laugh how people are criticising others here for wanting a No. 1 in the UK, saying it doesn't matter, yet everyone's cheering she's got a top ten billboard position in the US and No.1 in 50 countries for the album on pre-sale.

Charts count. Most of all because, you don't chart, you're not selling. You're not selling, you get dropped. I want Madonna to have a No.1 every time. So what? Does that make me less of a fan? No.

I'm very disappointed about the performance of the song and the lack of support in the UK. And that's the point of the forum so I can come here and discuss it and why it may have failed.

If you don't want to read about people theorising about how the single performed, move on to another thread about her new dress.

PS: The singles from Bedtime Story performed very well in the UK except Take A Bow which missed the Top Ten.