MDNA WONT B PROMOTED!

acko

the superbowl is better than any PROMO.....she reached all she needed to wit that gig.

Well, the latest estimates have MDNA debuting in the U.S. at 205k at most (per UKMix forum)...so yeah, that really helped a lot.

I'm sure I will love this album, but it is going to be a commercial disaster unless something miraculous happens.

Madonna Plays Social-Media Game Just Right To Promote MDNA

Even staying off Twitter, Madge is causing fan frenzy ahead of album's release.

By John Mitchell

Madonna may not be on Twitter, but she's got her social-media game face on in the lead-up to the release of her 12th studio album, MDNA — and we think she's doing a savvier job of promoting her album than most stars better known for their social-media presence.

While Lady Gaga, Justin Bieber and Rihanna have adopted Twitter as their forum of choice when communicating with fans, Her Madgesty has been ramping up her Facebook presence as MDNA's March 26 release nears. She's been socializing minute-long snippets of several MDNA album tracks — including "I'm Addicted" and "Gang Bang" — posting behind-the-scenes pictures of tour rehearsals and polling her fans about which back-catalog songs they'd like to hear when she hits the road.

Through Facebook, the Queen of Pop is teasing her album and tour by making fans feel like part of the process. And her mix of behind-the-scenes bravado and first-listen sneaks is creating a frenzy. Notably, she's done all this without having to say a word. She's psyching fans up without overwhelming them — a criticism Lady Gaga faced after her full-force media assault to promote Born This Way left many casual fans fatigued. The abundance of social networks, particularly Twitter, has made overdoing it all too easy.

The promotion process lends itself well to hyperbole, which sets up an impossible situation. When acts release albums, they are of course proud and often make grand declarations about quality, often in relation to their own previous efforts. "It's my best album/ song/ video" is a statement made by just about every singer for just about every release, and that opens the artist to immediate criticism. And it's easier than ever to make these overreaching statements now in our 140-characters-or-less culture. Twitter can also get celebrities in trouble.

Many celebrities have found themselves in hot water after shooting their mouths off on Twitter, often in response to criticism. Chris Brown is probably one of the most notable, having been criticized for, among other things, his use of homophobic slurs, his recent feuds with country star Miranda Lambert and WWE wrestler CM Punk and famously responding to criticism of his February appearance at the Grammys with a tweet reading, "HATE ALL U WANT BECUZ I GOT A GRAMMY Now! That's the ultimate F--- OFF!"

The point is that the unfiltered nature of the medium lends itself to major PR missteps. Rihanna, John Mayer and "90210" star AnnaLynne McCord (among many others) have found themselves in varying degrees of trouble following an ill-considered tweet. While we doubt Madonna would encounter the problems Brown has had if she took up tweeting — she's a total pro and typically pretty measured in any and all public statements she makes — since she doesn't tweet, she doesn't have to worry about this issue at all.

Instead, the pictures and song clips she's posted to Facebook and YouTube have received a decent amount of press pick-up and have kept the conversation about her album and tour going despite the middling reception to MDNA's lead single, "Give Me All Your Luvin'."

Additionally, by making clips of multiple songs available ahead of her album's release, Madonna has made many of the overwhelmingly positive reviews for MDNA more dynamic reads for fans. If you go to Billboard, you are treated not only to a flat-out rave, but to two full-length songs and four minute-long clips, making it not just a review but a preview. The preview experience is recreated on her Facebook page, with those same clips taking up space beside tour images on her timeline, creating what is, in our opinion, the ideal fan experience to kick off a new album.

In short, she knows MDNA is really good, knows it's not wise to say that out loud in our sound-bite culture and is using social networking to do the talking for her; still, she is keen to play it coy rather than overexpose herself.

Whether it will help her sell records when MDNA drops later this month remains to be seen.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1680988/madonna-mdna-twitter.jhtml

xx

A great article!!!!!!

Very good article! Guy Oseary was right...they're using different/non-traditional ways to hype and promote this album and I think it's an effective strategy.

Well, the latest estimates have MDNA debuting in the U.S. at 205k at most (per UKMix forum)...so yeah, that really helped a lot.

I'm sure I will love this album, but it is going to be a commercial disaster unless something miraculous happens.

Madonna is usually THE QUEEN of promotion when she has an album coming out. She comes up with a new look

(does anyone know what her look is for MDNA?)and usually does lots of magazine interviews and her picture graces their covers. This new stratergy just

seems very limp and muddled. The single releases especially in the UK are a hot mess.

Everyday I keep expecting a big announcement or something more innovative than what anyone else is doing.

Instead we have a tour picture with a few bruises, a video teaser and 1 min crappy quality clips on Perez's site.

Honestly apart from the fans how is anyone supposed to get excited about this new era. The best thing so far

are the great album reviews. The Superbowl and all the hype was great. Since then it's all gone a bit flat.

Please... she needs killer song to sell MDNA...not "untraditional promo". I dont know if GGW is the song though. With 2 unsucessful singles it would be hard for MDNA to be a hit. I hope it is.

Please... she needs killer song to sell MDNA...not "untraditional promo". I dont know if GGW is the song though. With 2 unsucessful singles it would be hard for MDNA to be a hit. I hope it is.

Exactly, that's what's missing. A killer song and a big performance. That coupled with her picture on a few major magazine covers.

Something to hype up the album.

By now,I think it's clear that Madonna doesn't like to promote her music the 'normal' way anymore (chat show appearances,TV performances,etc).I guess she just got bored with it all.She's probably OK with the fact that her album sales may suffer because of it.She's more focused on the tour.

"Untraditional" promo or not, she needs to let the general public KNOW that she has new music out. At least here, many people simply don't know about MDNA. Not many people watched the Superbowl in the middle of the night and GMAYL didn't get much airplay at all.

Even some of my friends around my age that enjoy her but aren't fans didn't know about MDNA until I told them. One called me this past weekend to tell me all excited they saw clips of "the new Madonna single" on TV and asked when it will be out :nocomment:

The social media promo is a great vehicle to get that demographic and to psych fans, they should at least run TV commercials so that those not glued to twatter and facebook know she has an album out

By now,I think it's clear that Madonna doesn't like to promote her music the 'normal' way anymore (chat show appearances,TV performances,etc).I guess she just got bored with it all.She's probably OK with the fact that her album sales may suffer because of it.She's more focused on the tour.

Fair enough. But what then is the point of spending 1.5 million on a video

and hyping up video premieres with snippets trying to create a buzz. She may as

well not bother. She did endless promo for W.E and in the end hardly anybody went to see

it. She would have been better off doing sme interviews for MDNA. Good reviews and a couple

of videos not be enough to shift the album. The promo for the album has been dire.

she needs a couple of high profile magazine covers and a couple of high profile performances.

fuck knows whats going on with the singles, is GGW still being released? has it gone to radio, is it going to radio??

she needs a couple of high profile magazine covers and a couple of high profile performances.

fuck knows whats going on with the singles, is GGW still being released? has it gone to radio, is it going to radio??

The promo or should I say non existent promo is a mess.

The single releases are confusing and have been coordinated very poorly.

If the fans are confused lord knows how the casual buyers are supposed

know is happening. Who on earth came up with this stratergy? How did it get

past business meetings. HOT MESS.

Fair enough. But what then is the point of spending 1.5 million on a video

and hyping up video premieres with snippets trying to create a buzz. She may as

well not bother. She did endless promo for W.E and in the end hardly anybody went to see

it. She would have been better off doing sme interviews for MDNA. Good reviews and a couple

of videos not be enough to shift the album. The promo for the album has been dire.

Oh,I agree with you.Let's hope that she has something planned that we don't know about yet...perhaps a few TV appearances the week of the album's release.MDNA seems to be a sensational album,I'd hate for it to fade away too quickly.

Exactly, that's what's missing. A killer song and a big performance. That coupled with her picture on a few major magazine covers.

Something to hype up the album.

Yeah I was kinda perplexed at William Orbit's statement that Madonna's approach to promoting the new stuff was already paying off.

Bottom line as to whether anything is "paying off" is sales and so far on that score things have been an unmitigated disaster.

GMAYL has been Madonna's worst performing single in the UK ever - completely ignored by radio and public. Not even touching the top 100 after a couple of weeks. In the US it peaked quickly and then completely disappeared (not a success).

Proof of any success with this promotional strategy will be when we have massive sales success for the album or the GGW single - so no conclusion can possibly yet be made!

What's funny though is that it's only a matter of weeks since Madonna was in the thick of doing tons of that "traditional" promo which we're now told is the old way of thinking lol!

For her movie she did the Harpers magazine cover and hauled her ass to every TV show that would have her!

The thing is Madonna has this audience, for whom I don't think 'untraditional' promo is the way.

Her key demographic beyond her hardcore fans and the gays r NOT teenagers. So u can 4get about all this

internet crap and buzz single shit. I'm sorry, but at the end of the day Madonna is old Skool and so is her

audience.

I know she's rehearsing for the tour,but why can't she take one week off to do promotion for the album? I don't see why she can't do that! She could go on 'Ellen','Good Morning America','Letterman' and make herself available for the media (USA Today,CNN,etc).Just for *ONE WEEK* and then resume tour rehearsals!! It's kinda frustrating that she won't do this.

Either way I'm fine with it, but I think in 1990 she was interviewed at Disney Studios or something while rehearsing 4 Blond Ambition 2 promote Dick Tracy, I'm Breathless and the tour...I can't remember what magazine, but it was really cool. :fag:

I still don't think fans are completely getting it. Unlike the old days, EVERYTHING she does these days (maybe except the movie?) goes into the same financial pot. Obviously, they are going to try for a hit single still as that is the most obvious form of promotion for the album. Hence, shelling out 1.5 million for GMAYL video. However, unlike the old days I don't think not having a monster hit single and blockbuster album are going to "break" the era. Her clothing line, upcoming perfume and most importantly the upcoming tour are gonna be her "bread and butter". I remember thinking during the HC era when fans were in an outrage saying she wasn't promoting enough and that the album was a flop that when the next era rolls around regardless of the reception of the album, she would struggle to meet HC's sales.

I don't recall a Madonna album getting this much positive press since ROL. I'd say MDNA is even exceeding COADF with the positive reviews. Despite that though, I still think that this album is going to struggle commercially. When all is said and done though, the album will still sell in the millions worldwide hit single or not. As big of "flops" as the singles are, again, they are still going to sell millions of those too. Sure, if it were the old days this probably would not get them out of the "red" so to speak when it comes to the bottom line but being that all income does not revolve around album/single sales I truly think all of that is considered when trying to make this era a financial success for her. When it's all said and done that's what matters to them. Their biggest priority is selling those concert tickets and that is a huge success so far. I think she, her manager/promo team and most of her fans realize she's just not going to sell albums like she used to....regardless of quality...and it has been and will continue to be an uphill battle for her when it comes to radio airplay. All of these things were going to be inevitable for her at some point which is why IMO she didn't go with a traditional "record contract" when it was time to renew.

I think it's going to be interesting around here the next few weeks when the sales figures start rolling in. I think fans that are still approaching this in the mindset of the "old model" are going to be in for a rude awakening when (what is turning out to be) one of the most critically acclaimed albums of her career will struggle to meet the sales of what many fans and critics consider to be her weakest albums (AL and HC).

The Superbowl and even the tour and singles aren't really for the purpose of promoting MDNA the album...it's for promoting MADONNA the product. She has done that. Perhaps that what Guy was referring to with his comment about their strategies already paying off.

Rest assured though that the celebratory champagne will still be flowing for our QUEEN because I truly think they will meet their business goals with this era.

Madonna Plays Social-Media Game Just Right To Promote MDNA

Even staying off Twitter, Madge is causing fan frenzy ahead of album's release.

By John Mitchell

Madonna may not be on Twitter, but she's got her social-media game face on in the lead-up to the release of her 12th studio album, MDNA — and we think she's doing a savvier job of promoting her album than most stars better known for their social-media presence.

While Lady Gaga, Justin Bieber and Rihanna have adopted Twitter as their forum of choice when communicating with fans, Her Madgesty has been ramping up her Facebook presence as MDNA's March 26 release nears. She's been socializing minute-long snippets of several MDNA album tracks — including "I'm Addicted" and "Gang Bang" — posting behind-the-scenes pictures of tour rehearsals and polling her fans about which back-catalog songs they'd like to hear when she hits the road.

Through Facebook, the Queen of Pop is teasing her album and tour by making fans feel like part of the process. And her mix of behind-the-scenes bravado and first-listen sneaks is creating a frenzy. Notably, she's done all this without having to say a word. She's psyching fans up without overwhelming them — a criticism Lady Gaga faced after her full-force media assault to promote Born This Way left many casual fans fatigued. The abundance of social networks, particularly Twitter, has made overdoing it all too easy.

The promotion process lends itself well to hyperbole, which sets up an impossible situation. When acts release albums, they are of course proud and often make grand declarations about quality, often in relation to their own previous efforts. "It's my best album/ song/ video" is a statement made by just about every singer for just about every release, and that opens the artist to immediate criticism. And it's easier than ever to make these overreaching statements now in our 140-characters-or-less culture. Twitter can also get celebrities in trouble.

Many celebrities have found themselves in hot water after shooting their mouths off on Twitter, often in response to criticism. Chris Brown is probably one of the most notable, having been criticized for, among other things, his use of homophobic slurs, his recent feuds with country star Miranda Lambert and WWE wrestler CM Punk and famously responding to criticism of his February appearance at the Grammys with a tweet reading, "HATE ALL U WANT BECUZ I GOT A GRAMMY Now! That's the ultimate F--- OFF!"

The point is that the unfiltered nature of the medium lends itself to major PR missteps. Rihanna, John Mayer and "90210" star AnnaLynne McCord (among many others) have found themselves in varying degrees of trouble following an ill-considered tweet. While we doubt Madonna would encounter the problems Brown has had if she took up tweeting — she's a total pro and typically pretty measured in any and all public statements she makes — since she doesn't tweet, she doesn't have to worry about this issue at all.

Instead, the pictures and song clips she's posted to Facebook and YouTube have received a decent amount of press pick-up and have kept the conversation about her album and tour going despite the middling reception to MDNA's lead single, "Give Me All Your Luvin'."

Additionally, by making clips of multiple songs available ahead of her album's release, Madonna has made many of the overwhelmingly positive reviews for MDNA more dynamic reads for fans. If you go to Billboard, you are treated not only to a flat-out rave, but to two full-length songs and four minute-long clips, making it not just a review but a preview. The preview experience is recreated on her Facebook page, with those same clips taking up space beside tour images on her timeline, creating what is, in our opinion, the ideal fan experience to kick off a new album.

In short, she knows MDNA is really good, knows it's not wise to say that out loud in our sound-bite culture and is using social networking to do the talking for her; still, she is keen to play it coy rather than overexpose herself.

Whether it will help her sell records when MDNA drops later this month remains to be seen.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1680988/madonna-mdna-twitter.jhtml

xx

A great article!!!!!!

:thumbsup:

I just don't get the single releases from MDNA. We've had GMAYL superbowl performance but no physical release, that's coming up when the next single is out then we've had GGW remixes released but no video. Hasnt GGW dropped out of itunes chart? Now I'm kind of waiting for the third single and I haven't seen the GGW video. Am I missing something to this promotion or is someone just sticking a pin in a calendar? What will happen to the 3rd single? Video released without the audio? Shouldn't it be: performance then video then iTunes/physical? Ive heard the GGW remixes over and over and they are good but where's the video? Seems like a mess up and a waste. If they keep going on like this then none of these singles will be a hit and album promotion might suffer.

AL showed that Madonna didn't need a big single to debut with respectable numbers. Same thing should apply to MDNA. it very well may end up being her lowest seller, but if it's a strong album, all that matters. it's not like she's going to see another high-charting single in the USA from this album.

Maybe not in the US but in the UK it's like she's been put out of action. I'm in the UK and I think if GGW was released physically and with a video and with airplay it could go top 5.

If she doesn't sell more than 200-220k, Adele might be #1.

Adele's sales are declining now. At the rate she's declining, she'll be at least under 150K by the time Madonna's album debuts. And with all the positive reviews and most of the fans are on board in buying this album, it is sure to sell over 150K. Now, MDNA may not end up being a huge selling success, but as a couple people pointed out, there's a bigger picture going on here. The TOUR! She utilized the Super Bowl perfectly to get people interested. People who are saying this is a "mess", are definitely stuck on Madonna selling loads of albums, radio airplay and charting singles when Madonna's graduated to the biggest touring act now.

I want Madonna to have hits in the charts where she still can - I can't talk about anywhere apart from the uk where I'm sure she could go top 5. GMAYL did badly in uk. Whereas her last first single release 4M was number one. GGW shouldve been released properly. I want better for M and for us. Why stuff up her chances on the uk singles chart when she was doing ok? I like her having chart hits in the singles charts and like hearing her singles on the radio. Why take her out of that game? She was still in that game!