MDNA Album Thread

IslandBreeze

The floppage of the song around the world is quite embarrassing! It is at no45 in Australia and at no40 in the UK to name a few!

Only in North America it's doing something. But even in the US where we had the payola, huge billboards even in rural Nebraska and Alabama and the Super Bowl, it is out of the top10 on i-tunes already.

Even in third world eastern european countries where even her fart can hit no1 the song is bombing.

I haven't met a single person who likes it. 4 minutes might not have been what us fags like but it was a killer track and it hit no1 around the world. Hung Up was a killer too.

....and yet the album will probably debut at Number One in 50 countries.You win some,you lose some ;)

An underperforming single is not a big deal for someone like Madonna.At the end of the year,she will be counting her receipts from the tour and the total gross will be astronomical.

But I agree with you about "4 Minutes".That song simply had more appeal with mainstream audiences outside of her fanbase.

An underperforming single is not a big deal for someone like Madonna.

You are probably right on this and it is a shame that it is the case. Because in the past it certainly would have been a big deal for her.

We all know that the music business has changed but it a sad scenario when Madonna is content to release a sub-par track like GMAYL as a lead single. The more I think about it the more astonished I am really.

An underperforming single is not a big deal for someone like Madonna.

How do you know that? We know she has a huge ego and we also know she is getting pissed off at the Gaga comparisons. I think M would love to have a worldwide #1 hit song and just tell all haters "There you go, I'm still hot".

It IS hard for her to get this much deserved 13th #1 single in the USA because of the weird and unlogical chart system with radio plays and shit but what about Europe? People usually buy anything from her, even the mediocre Celebration charted well. They should just get to the 2nd single asap and pretend that GMAYL was just a buzz/winter-trifle single especially for the Super Bowl.

Edited by Zdarlight

You are probably right on this and it is a shame that it is the case. Because in the past it certainly would have been a big deal for her.

We all know that the music business has changed but it a sad scenario when Madonna is content to release a sub-par track like GMAYL as a lead single. The more I think about it the more astonished I am really.

In this day and age,even if Madonna had chosen an *amazing* song to release as a single (a song that most fans agree is excellent),there is no guarantee that it would become a major hit.Look at what happened with "Get Together","Jump","Nothing Fails".....incredible songs that we all thought would do well on the charts.We have to accept the fact that her singles probably won't reach the Top 10 as often as they did before,no matter how good the song is.She'll have to "settle" for having the most lucrative tours and strong album sales that reach Number One in 40 or more countries.

How do you know that? We know she has a huge ego and we also know she is getting pissed off at the Gaga comparisons. I think M would love to have a worldwide #1 hit song and just tell all haters "There you go, I'm still hot".

It IS hard for her to get this much deserved 13th #1 single in the USA because of the weird and unlogical chart system with radio plays and shit but what about Europe? People usually buy anything from her, even the mediocre Celebration charted well. They should just get to the 2nd single asap and pretend that GMAYL was just a buzz/winter-trifle single especially for the Super Bowl.

Based on the clip that we heard,"Girls Gone Wild" doesn't sound like a surefire Number One to me.I think it's gonna have a harder time than "GMAYL",at least in America.But again,that's OK.Once the tour sells out and she's adding multiple dates (which will also sellout),she'll be getting alot of positive media attention for that.

In this day and age,even if Madonna had chosen an *amazing* song to release as a single (a song that most fans agree is excellent),there is no guarantee that it would become a major hit.Look at what happened with "Get Together","Jump","Nothing Fails".....incredible songs that we all thought would do well on the charts.We have to accept the fact that her singles probably won't reach the Top 10 as often as they did before,no matter how good the song is.She'll have to "settle" for having the most lucrative tours and strong album sales that reach Number One in 40 or more countries.

Sorry but I think you're wrong. Il Madonna had chosen an amazing sonf to release as a single, there is huge guarantee that it would become a hit worldwide. Don't look at get togehter, jump or nothing fails, but more Like a prayer, Hung up, Into the Groove, Music and Papa don't preach... Madonna is one of the biggest popstar if you add to this equation a smash hit, a real one, she explodes everything in the wordl.

BTW, it's normal that gmayl isn't doing well in Europe, 1/ this cheerleader sounds fits more the north american market, 2/ the song is corny and embarassing

during HARD CANDY, when a digital single gets released for M, was she promoted in the front page?

her latest competitor for March 27 is the re-issue of TEENAGE DREAM...

Sorry but I think you're wrong. Il Madonna had chosen an amazing song to release as a single, there is huge guarantee that it would become a hit worldwide. Don't look at get togehter, jump or nothing fails, but more Like a prayer, Hung up, Into the Groove, Music and Papa don't preach... Madonna is one of the biggest popstar if you add to this equation a smash hit, a real one, she explodes everything in the wordl.

BTW, it's normal that gmayl isn't doing well in Europe, 1/ this cheerleader sounds fits more the north american market, 2/ the song is corny and embarassing

Most of those other songs you mentioned ("Into The Groove","Like A Prayer",etc) were released during Madonna's "heyday".Back in those days,she could have recited the phonebook to a dance beat,and it would have gotten airplay...lol..she was younger too.How many 53-year old artists are gettng alot of radio airplay in America right now?

Sorry but I think you're wrong. Il Madonna had chosen an amazing sonf to release as a single, there is huge guarantee that it would become a hit worldwide. Don't look at get togehter, jump or nothing fails, but more Like a prayer, Hung up, Into the Groove, Music and Papa don't preach... Madonna is one of the biggest popstar if you add to this equation a smash hit, a real one, she explodes everything in the wordl.

I agree. I don't feel it's much about her age anymore, she has been old forever by now. Currently if she creates a smash hit she can be BIG in everywhere.

Sadly that's not the case of the MDNA lead single. She seems out of touch but at least people are not trashing her because of it, mostly people i know just reacts indifferent to it.

Based on the clip that we heard,"Girls Gone Wild" doesn't sound like a surefire Number One to me.I think it's gonna have a harder time than "GMAYL",at least in America.But again,that's OK.Once the tour sells out and she's adding multiple dates (which will also sellout),she'll be getting alot of positive media attention for that.

I never claimed that GGW sounds like a surefire Number One hit. I am sure they have a good reason to pick it as single 2 and not one of the Orbit tracks, so I'm very curious to hear the full song and hope it offers some surprises. If not, then it will flop too and we will never get a third single. lol

It's out of the U.S. iTunes top 10 because of WH/Grammy-boosted tracks. Hardly shocking.

As a North-America-centric single, GMAYL understandably is performing best in that territory. Though it's seeing decent rankings in a few Euro territories, too.

Those songs weren't lead singles and didn't have the hype and level of promo that GMAYL had.

I agree. I don't feel it's much about her age anymore, she has been old forever by now. Currently if she creates a smash hit she can be BIG in everywhere.

Sadly that's not the case of the MDNA lead single. She seems out of touch but at least people are not trashing her because of it, mostly people i know just reacts indifferent to it.

I agree with the bold statement, although I prefer gAYL over 4M, I think it's still too weak single material, and if she performed at the Granny's she would've scored a top 10 hit easily :/

http://www.madonnarama.com/posts-en/2012/02/09/martin-solveig-madonna-has-succeeded-where-michael-jackson-has-failed/

Martin Solveig: Madonna has succeeded where Michael Jackson has failed

This week, Martin Solveig gave an inteview to French radio station, Europe1. He talks about his collaboration with Madonna on MDNA, his opinion of her as an icon and an artist, and calls her the “master” while Lady Gaga is her “disciple.”

Read an exclusive transcription and translation by Madonnarama…

How did you meet Madonna ?

MARTIN SOLVEIG: With a phone call. I was really impressed. It was her manager. I thought it was a joke, because my team and I prank each other a lot. I actually thought it was my Australian agent pulling a prank me.

Tell us about meeting her for the first time ?

MARTIN SOLVEIG: We actually met on Skype. I was in an airport and everything was planned to go smoothly… but obviously, I had problems with the internet connexion. So, I raised my arm like I was trying to adjust an antenna. I was completely paralyzed. She’s such an icon, a figure of music…I said a lot of nonsense in the first five minutes… I usually don’t get starstruck, but this time, I absolutely was…

How do you call her ?

MARTIN SOLVEIG: Everybody calls her M. She likes it when things go fast.

How did you direct her artistically?

MARTIN SOLVEIG : I learnt from her manager that she liked how I dared to direct her during our first recording session. When you sing and record at the same time, it’s not easy to really to get an idea of the result. That’s my job, this is what I do, I’m a writer and a producer and had to tell her “this take was right, this one wasn’t.”

Do you find her intimidating?

MARTIN SOLVEIG: Very intimidating. She’s a very strong woman and I love that about her. It took me a little time to see her as an artist and not as an icon lingering in her trailer with her Grammy’s and her million record sales…

Were you a fan? What do you think is her legacy to the world of music?

MARTIN SOLVEIG: She has left her landmark in music and fashion in every era. In the 80s, in the 90s. And she has succeeded – what I think Michael Jackson has failed to do – to still be relevant in the 2000s working with Mirwais and Stuart Price. I’m more a fan of those albums than the ones she released when she started. And THAT is impressive to me.

Do you think Lady Gaga took her crown ?

MARTIN SOLVEIG: No. I think she’s a disciple. There’s a master and a disciple. It’s very simple. We all have a role model, don’t we?

What about your single leaking last November…

MARTIN SOLVEIG: Some of her fans are very talented hackers who got into her computer, took her pictures…

I told her about that already. I couldn’t send anything sensitive to her email. It remained the first single because we had two guests M.I.A. and Nicki Minaj. Otherwise, we would have released another single.

I love that he has a preference for new Madonna (Mirwais & Stuart Price). He called out MJ for not keeping his sound relevant to the times. Says had the guest artists not be tied to GMAYL we wouldn't have it as a first single because of the leak. I hope he declines Gaga when she request his services and she will.

all the negativity

yeah, and you got whipped just some time ago just for being so now it's the IN thing...

I am still hopeful for GMAYL... even though it is being treated like American Life right now...

Except 'Feedback' was a way better song.

And GMAYL is doing way better than "Feedback." GMAYL is more like Mariah's "It's Like That." So maybe there's a chance for a huge second single. I doubt it, but just hoping...

the song did its job it promoted the superbowl, I don't think it was meant to stick around long and a 2nd single is on the way....

This! Although I must say I would have preferred GMAYL as a standalone project with no ties to the album. It would have served its purpose perfectly. And noone would have questioned the quality. Unfortunately because of the inclusion people might be afraid it sets the mood for the whole album. As GMAYL is considered rather mediocre (and for me the few seconds of GGW doesn't sound too promising) the same could happen to the album. I think she should have learned from Celebration (which has received a similar reaction) and stayed away from those DJ's producing her stuff. They may be hot at the moment and come up with something that the Average Joe appreciates but it's obvious they are not on the same level qualitywise as Madonna. But for some reason she doesn't seem realize it. At least she did not work with Guetta. This said, I am looking forward to the stuff Orbit produced and hope it lives up to expectations.

This! Although I must say I would have preferred GMAYL as a standalone project with no ties to the album. It would have served its purpose perfectly. And noone would have questioned the quality. Unfortunately because of the inclusion people might be afraid it sets the mood for the whole album. As GMAYL is considered rather mediocre (and for me the few seconds of GGW doesn't sound too promising) the same could happen to the album. I think she should have learned from Celebration (which has received a similar reaction) and stayed away from those DJ's producing her stuff. They may be hot at the moment and come up with something that the Average Joe appreciates but it's obvious they are not on the same level qualitywise as Madonna. But for some reason she doesn't seem realize it. At least she did not work with Guetta. This said, I am looking forward to the stuff Orbit produced and hope it lives up to expectations.

She doesn't realise because she surrounds herself with yes people

and young kids. She used to be a trendsetter now she just follows. There

nothing cutting edge or fresh about GMAYL. It's sounds stale and could have

been sung by anyone. It's probably her worst lead single ever.

She needs to drop the djs and hire some decent song writers. Clearly

hiring rappers and chanting LUV isn't going down very well. Maybe if GMAYL

flops she will wake up.

She doesn't realise because she surrounds herself with yes people

and young kids. She used to be a trendsetter now she just follows. There

nothing cutting edge or fresh about GMAYL. It's sounds stale and could have

been sung by anyone. It's probably her worst lead single ever.

She needs to drop the djs and hire some decent song writers. Clearly

hiring rappers and chanting LUV isn't going down very well.

And she also doesn't pay attention to critics.

She presumes that every critic is against her person and not her work. :confused:

This forum is so manic depressive. A week ago, everyone was on a high because of the performance, video, and song charting well and now everyone seems like they wanna off themselves and Madonna because the song is doing AMAZINGLY. Like, calm down. :lol: