MDNA Album Thread

IslandBreeze

Guest groovyguy

It might not make 1 million, but there's a good chance that the album will sell well in its debut week. Hits Daily Double thinks that 300k is attainable. In addition, for every American tour ticket purchased online via TicketMaster, the buyer has a choice to redeem a digital or physical copy of Madonna's new album. As long as they are redeemed, they are counted towards its sale.

http://www.hitsdailydouble.com/news/rumormill.cgi (posted by thebigham)

Madonna’s Super Bowl performance generated an immediate tidal wave of interest, countering those naysayers who believed Interscope overpaid when it reportedly gave her $30m for three records, despite the lackluster performance of her last few albums; her most recent LP, 2008’s Hard Candy, sold just 740k.

But this could be a whole new ballgame for Madonna, whose March 26 LP is already north of 50k in digital preorders, with a 300k debut now seemingly attainable, while some of her European stadium dates and U.S. arena shows go on sale next week. (2/9a)

ABOUT THE MDNA ALBUM AND MADONNA'S TOUR:

The SoundScan rules: (posted by the bigham)

The album is included with the price. The only albums that will count are those that the U.S. online-ticketed customer chooses to redeem. Meaning: Once the customer gets the unique code and they download the album, or, have it mailed to them as a physical CD, then those will count as a sale.

I actually think the reason Hard Candy sold kinda blah was because no one had a particular urgency to buy it. 4 Minutes was a hit, but it did not sell the album.

I don't think the general public really cared what the rest of Hard Candy sounded like, 4 Minutes may as well have been Justin Timberlake's single.

I actually think the reason Hard Candy sold kinda blah was because no one had a particular urgency to buy it. 4 Minutes was a hit, but it did not sell the album.

I don't think the general public really cared what the rest of Hard Candy sounded like, 4 Minutes may as well have been Justin Timberlake's single.

I think the opposite. The only reason the album sold anything was because of that hit. I can't think of another reason 3.5 million+ people bought that LP.

I think the opposite. The only reason the album sold anything was because of that hit. I can't think of another reason 3.5 million+ people bought that LP.

I don't know. Hung Up was just 2.5 years earlier and it vaulted Confessions to 8 million copies.

Hard Candy sold barely half of that, with just as big of a song.

Guest I'llTeachYouHowTo...

I do not think the free album count towards album sales.

it will hurt mdna sales.

no one is pre-ordering mdna on amazon or itunes now.

most pre-order on itunes before free thing was recalled.

Lucille-is-judging-you-gif-arrested-development-21743891-500-289.gif

I do not think the free album count towards album sales.

it will hurt mdna sales.

no one is pre-ordering mdna on amazon or itunes now.

most pre-order on itunes before free thing was recalled.

Assuming that you've managed to actually type that out yourself, CONGRATULATIONS on finally turning off your CAPSLOCK key! But you still sound like a FUCKING RETARD! :manson:

I don't know. Hung Up was just 2.5 years earlier and it vaulted Confessions to 8 million copies.

Hard Candy sold barely half of that, with just as big of a song.

Yeah, and Hard Candy came out in April (lower sales period), Confessions came out in November and had holiday sales to boost it (in fact 50% of that 8 million was sold between its release date and Christmas 2005). Also, I would argue Confessions had 3-4 strong singles to maintain its momentum. Hard Candy basically had one, maybe two - although "Give It 2 Me" didn't boost sales that much anywhere.

In this era of illegal downloads,300k in its first week is a respectable amount to sell and that will surely guarantee Madonna a Number One position in America.

Agreed. If it does 300k or north of that, I would say that is a very successful opening. If it does less than Hard Candy's 280k, well...the drums of war, you know.

Yeah, and Hard Candy came out in April (lower sales period), Confessions came out in November and had holiday sales to boost it (in fact 50% of that 8 million was sold between its release date and Christmas 2005). Also, I would argue Confessions had 3-4 strong singles to maintain its momentum. Hard Candy basically had one, maybe two - although "Give It 2 Me" didn't boost sales that much anywhere.

I know all that. What I meant was... I don't really feel like 4 Minutes had the staying power or the appeal to really make Hard Candy a bigger album. Sure, the reason the album sold ANYTHING was because of that song, but that's not what I mean. They pretty much rode the project on that one song and because it was so heavy with Justin Timberlake's influence, I bet people hardly remembered it was Madonna's song. Just last week one of my friends was like "wait I thought that was JT's single" :| I don't think there was a better option to launch the album with of course, but had the lead single been less generic and desperate for US-radio approval, I bet you the entire album would have been received better - in every way. That whole project was so botched, it still pisses me off.

The problem with Hard Candy was the promotion.There was no shortage of catchy,accessible,radio-friendly songs on that album but they (Warners) didn't build upon the momentum of "4 Minutes".If they had released "Beat Goes On" as the second single,things would have been alot different.

I know all that. What I meant was... I don't really feel like 4 Minutes had the staying power or the appeal to really make Hard Candy a bigger album. Sure, the reason the album sold ANYTHING was because of that song, but that's not what I mean. They pretty much rode the project on that one song and because it was so heavy with Justin Timberlake's influence, I bet people hardly remembered it was Madonna's song. Just last week one of my friends was like "wait I thought that was JT's single" :| I don't think there was a better option to launch the album with of course, but had the lead single been less generic and desperate for US-radio approval, I bet you the entire album would have been received better - in every way. That whole project was so botched, it still pisses me off.

I dunno. I don't know why it matters that a lot of people thought it was a Timberlake song. It was only available on Hard Candy so it wasn't driving sales for any other LP. Anyway, it was either that or Madonna's choice - "Candy Shop" - which (I believe) would've ended up with the scenario we are having now with GMAYL. So I think we probably got the best lead single scenario for that album. This is all conjecture of course but there is no way to prove anyone's opinion as fact on this matter so the point is moot.

OMG @ you guys and your gifs / pics on this site :lmao:

By the way, could it be that they release GGW on the friday before the album release? If that would happen and the video would premier on the same day, too (so just like the GMYAL procedure), it would probably create much buzz like at the weekend of the GMYAL release. Ok, less than that, because there won't be any Super Bowl this time lol...but still there would be quite much buzz and interest from the media. And, ta-dah, 3 days later the whole album will be released which will keep the buzz going.

people that liked 4M weren't interested in a whole Madonna album, people that like Madonna weren't interested in 4M

Oh you just DEFINED the HC era! :clap:

people that liked 4M weren't interested in a whole Madonna album, people that like Madonna weren't interested in 4M

Increasingly,I think it's gonna be difficult for Madonna to please both her fanbase and the mainstream audience at the same time.

MA had the Timbaland sound that was still popular in 2008, but BGO had Kanye, so either one could have worked. Hell, BGO was getting airplay on dance radio without any promotion. Either way, though, the REAL issue was the timing. They waited way too long. And obviously released the wrong song.

3.5 million of them were. And although I know most people seem to hate that album on this board, it sold just as much worldwide as Britney's big comeback, Circus. Perspective, people. Perspective.

3.5 million of them were. And although I know most people seem to hate that album on this board, it sold just as much worldwide as Britney's big comeback, Circus. Perspective, people. Perspective.