MDNA Album Thread

IslandBreeze

I don't hate 4 Minutes but it's right up there with Me Against The Music in terms of "PLEASE PAY ATTENTION TO ME I AM RELEVANT I SWEAR" ... and that's evident in the music since Madonna is pretty much a footnote on her own song. It was Justin Timberlake and Timbaland's song let's face it.

Madonna's still using other stars to draw in youthful people - she is doing it with GMAYL. I agree that "4 Minutes" definitely has the Timbo sound, but I think it is a pretty strong hit single to lead off an album with. It just sounds huge. "Hung Up" was huge in Europe and "4 Minutes" was huge in America. I am not sure that GMAYL is going to be huge in either place. It doesn't feel like an epic song to me.

We can go back and forth on this all day. I realize most people in here don't like "4 Minutes" so I'm not going to convince anyone, but "GMAYL" just doesn't feel like a strong lead single to me.

Madonna's still using other stars to draw in youthful people - she is doing it with GMAYL. I agree that "4 Minutes" definitely has the Timbo sound, but I think it is a pretty strong hit single to lead off an album with. It just sounds huge. "Hung Up" was huge in Europe and "4 Minutes" was huge in America. I am not sure that GMAYL is going to be huge in either place. It doesn't feel like an epic song to me.

We can go back and forth on this all day. I realize most people in here don't like "4 Minutes" so I'm not going to convince anyone, but "GMAYL" just doesn't feel like a strong lead single to me.

Oh i never denied that GMAYL has the same star power to help it - HOWEVER, flop or not, it's Madonna's song and Nicki Minaj and MIA barely feature 10 seconds between them. The song feels more like a Madonna song and I like it when she succeeds - or flops - on her own merit. 4 Minutes just feels like someone else's song and no one really calls it a classic at this point. if GMAYL did well (it may not but oh well) I think it would definitely be remembered as a MADONNA song.

Oh i never denied that GMAYL has the same star power to help it - HOWEVER, flop or not, it's Madonna's song and Nicki Minaj and MIA barely feature 10 seconds between them. The song feels more like a Madonna song and I like it when she succeeds - or flops - on her own merit. 4 Minutes just feels like someone else's song and no one really calls it a classic at this point. if GMAYL did well (it may not but oh well) I think it would definitely be remembered as a MADONNA song.

alright 12:51, this thread isn't gonna go the way anyone wants it to, so you should close it too

LOL

I feel like GMAYL isn't supposed to be taken seriously - it's nothing more than a fun and cheeky song that tells the world that Madonna is back. I can imagine fans still listening to this cute little record in 2020 while 4 Minutes will be remembered as a Justin/Timbaland song featuring M-DULLa. I'm not here for that reductive Timbaland production with those cringe-worthy lyrics.

4 Minutes isn't too far off from a typical Madonna song. Yea, "typical Madonna" and 4 Minutes shouldn't go in the same sentence, but Madonna is known for her hooks and baselines. She's a master at creating pop songs, and 4 minutes has that. You can't deny that the beat is somewhat sick. And lyrically, it's all up Madonna's alley. We know she's been working x amount of years to create the right "social awareness" song (History, Keep The Trance, It's So Cool, Hey Poop)

I think what killed 4 Minutes was that it was a JT collab, and the hard Timbaland beats. It hasn't aged well at all, and the reception among fans certainly played a big role on that.

I do love GMAYL. It's upbeat, positive, catchy, different, that breakdown is phenomenal and the bass just loves to shake up the room. It does have that classic Madonna quality to it, but it's missing something. It's missing that oomph like other Madonna songs, I can't really explain it though. It needs a co-production credit by WO. The production doesnt sound completed imo.

You're gonna love MDNA Lampshade. GMAYL will just be a blip on your radar, trust.

:lol: My hat is off to you, 12:51.

And yeah, I am pretty sure MDNA will still rock my socks off. I don't dislike "GMAYL" the same way I loathed "American Life" as a lead single, so things aren't that bad. :)

THIS

I agree."4 Minutes" was a much better 'first single' than GMAYL.It has a BIG,aggressive sound that was tailor-made for radio.I like GMAYL but I can see why it's not having the same commercial impact.

I agree."4 Minutes" was a much better 'first single' than GMAYL.It has a BIG,aggressive sound that was tailor-made for radio.I like GMAYL but I can see why it's not having the same commercial impact.

I totally agree :thumbsup:

I loved 4 Minutes from the 1st time I heard it. I agree with what NS and SH76 said.

I can't say the same thing about GMAYL. Sure, the song is supposed to be fun, superficial ect but something is missing. The video is so amazing but it can't hide the fact that the song is just mediocre, especially for Madonna's standards. And don't even get me started on the lyrics :grr: I couldn't care less about chart positions and I know the quality doesn't matter when we're talking about #1s, but let's face it, the song is not going anywhere near the top spot, especially when Clarkson's Stronger is around. No wonder that song kept Luvin' from reaching the 1st position on iTunes; I would've bought it too. People buy shit music, yes, but they also happen to buy good music from time to time, otherwise Vadge wouldn't have 12 #1s.

The floppage of the song around the world is quite embarrassing! It is at no45 in Australia and at no40 in the UK to name a few!

Only in North America it's doing something. But even in the US where we had the payola, huge billboards even in rural Nebraska and Alabama and the Super Bowl, it is out of the top10 on i-tunes already.

Even in third world eastern european countries where even her fart can hit no1 the song is bombing.

I haven't met a single person who likes it. 4 minutes might not have been what us fags like but it was a killer track and it hit no1 around the world. Hung Up was a killer too.

The floppage of the song around the world is quite embarrassing! It is at no45 in Australia and at no40 in the UK to name a few!

Only in North America it's doing something. But even in the US where we had the payola, huge billboards even in rural Nebraska and Alabama and the Super Bowl, it is out of the top10 on i-tunes already.

Even in third world eastern european countries where even her fart can hit no1 the song is bombing.

I haven't met a single person who likes it. 4 minutes might not have been what us fags like but it was a killer track and it hit no1 around the world. Hung Up was a killer too.

This