Luis Camacho on Super Bowl Half-Time (hijacked by Kylie!)

IslandBreeze

Well Lucky, you're the one saying that they ripped off Kylie, and then going back and saying "but they weren't trying to one up her!!" so what is it? Ripping someone off is a negative implication. It implies laziness and a lack of imagination and talent. So if they weren't trying to one up Kylie by ripping her show, what were they trying to accomplish? You're so adamant about this being Kylie's "thing" but really, what's so awesomely important about who did this very predictable theme first? Are you prepared to say that Britknee ripped off Madonna for Circus too? I mean did Kylie rip off Daft Punk becuz she used robots in a few of her videos? :|

Yes I totally do think Kylie ripped off Daft Punk, Love At First Sight (whilst a great song) is a complete Daft Punk rip, and I suspect they were a heavy influence on the styling in the videos too. I don't know about the Circus tour, but I do think that Britney's air hostess part in the Toxic video owed a great deal to Kylie's KMair routine/monologue in the Light Years tour (or whatever it was called) which she attended. These artists and their stylists borrow from each other all the time. It's common currency. To suggest that Madonna exists in another realm where these things don't affect her and that everything she does is inspired by high art or vintage cinema is ridiculous. She uses stylists and creative directors like everyone else.

As for one upping, I never implied any motive in what Madonna's creative people did beyond putting on a spectacular show (symbolism aside..). I don't see that by copying or being influenced by a recent big budget tour, they would be trying to one up that tour. Surely it's more thinking -'hey that's cool, that would work well in the context of the show'. I don't get where the one upping thing comes from.

Suede, I'm not trying to offend anyone, I don't want to post on a Kylie forum, I like it here. And I could never find Kylie as compelling an artist and personality as I do Madonna. But I do have a soft spot for Bargain Binogue, and considering she has been shat on from a great height (by me as much as anyone) for her gold helmeted Vegas Les Faggies Greekfest by everyone here, and her insignificance has been highlighted, I think when Madonna puts on a show that is very similar to two of her most recent well known tour segments, it's worthy of a footnote. I thought you liked K-Mo anyway?

Yes I totally do think Kylie ripped off Daft Punk, Love At First Sight (whilst a great song) is a complete Daft Punk rip, and I suspect they were a heavy influence on the styling in the videos too. I don't know about the Circus tour, but I do think that Britney's air hostess part in the Toxic video owed a great deal to Kylie's KMair routine/monologue in the Light Years tour (or whatever it was called) which she attended. These artists and their stylists borrow from each other all the time. It's common currency. To suggest that Madonna exists in another realm where these things don't affect her and that everything she does is inspired by high art or vintage cinema is ridiculous. She uses stylists and creative directors like everyone else.

As for one upping, I never implied any motive in what Madonna's creative people did beyond putting on a spectacular show (symbolism aside..). I don't see that by copying or being influenced by a recent big budget tour, they would be trying to one up that tour. Surely it's more thinking -'hey that's cool, that would work well in the context of the show'. I don't get where the one upping thing comes from.

Suede, I'm not trying to offend anyone, I don't want to post on a Kylie forum, I like it here. And I could never find Kylie as compelling an artist and personality as I do Madonna. But I do have a soft spot for Bargain Binogue, and considering she has been shat on from a great height (by me as much as anyone) for her gold helmeted Vegas Les Faggies Greekfest by everyone here, and her insignificance has been highlighted, I think when Madonna puts on a show that is very similar to two of her most recent well known tour segments, it's worthy of a footnote. I thought you liked K-Mo anyway?

The one-upping thing came from "okay, if she did rip Kylie off, what motive would she have?" that's the only thing I could come up with. You actually said it yourself:

'hey that's cool, that would work well in the context of the show'

And what's so wrong with that? If ANYTHING at all, it's flattering to Kylie - but to call it something negative like a rip off - it's almost as though you're just looking to find things wrong with something that actually worked really well for Madonna. It's a stretch too, considering the theme is so broad that anyone could have done it. What matters if it's done well. Above all that- (and I know this is a major cliche) Madonna really made it her own REGARDLESS. The entire thing was very reminscent of Girlie Show anyway, something Madonna conceptualized and executed 20 years ago.

As for Britney ripping off Kylie's FLIGHT ATTENDANT routine and what not - I really think you read into female pop stars way way too much. From the Illuminati brainwashing all the way down to Britney copying Kylie. I doubt Britney (or Larry Rudolph) can even remember who Kylie is. They probably didn't even remember going to her show back when Britney filmed Toxic tbqh.

In such a POSITIVE time for Madonna the people who only post here to be NEGATIVE really STAND OUT.

I love Lucky Guy because he's an adorable, English, gay Conservative which means he's crazy. I still love him because adorable, English, gay guys just can't make me hate them.

Oh and to build on GU's point- it was reported by someone (can't remember who, maybe Jamie Queen?) that Madonna was gonna wear some of Liz Taylor's jewelry for the show, but decided against it becuz it was too heavy.

Oh, I thought the earrings were, in fact, a pair that Liz owned. It was posted twice in the Super Bowl thread, I thought... I didn't hear the Jamie King comment about them being too heavy, but maybe I just missed that somewhere.

You think the theme didn't originate with Kylie because they thought about wearing some of Liz's earrings. :|

The earrings are not the point (though they are a clear indicator that she was channeling Liz Taylor for a reason -- Cleopatra was her character). Look at the hieroglyphics on the throne. The visual reference was clearly Cleopatra and Ancient Egypt. NOT Aphrodite and Ancient Greece. Yes, there are some similar stylings to a typical gladiator image due to general blurring of Greco-Roman influences from the vantage point of this moment in modern history. That doesn't excuse laziness in people's assessment of the performance costuming. While the costuming is obviously a fusion of modern and ancient, Madonna's team clearly does a lot of research.

Re: the cheerleading bit... While it is a fact Kylie used the cheerleader motif for her previous tour in support of the X album, Madonna's quite justified in what she did. Why? Because Madonna was performing at THE SUPER BOWL. Most American football teams in the NFL have cheerleaders. (I think Pittsburgh might be one of the only teams NOT to have a cheerleading squad. I could be mistaken about that, though.) The point is, it was a football event, so it's logical for her to co-opt some of the visuals from the event. The song also features the cheerleading chants, which have drawn the comparisons to Gwen Stefani and "Hey, Mickey." Kylie's "Heartbeat Rock" may have had a similar stadium-stomp beat to "Hollaback Girl," but it didn't even feature any cheerleader chanting. So Madonna's song is arguably a more close match for the pom-pon performance. [Of course, it can be the case that Madonna actually created the song with this Super Bowl performance in mind and everything, which makes it so much more calculated, but ... what does it matter? Madonna was a cheerleader in her youth, and she's not the first female pop star to use the cheerleader motif in a performance. Nor will she be the last, I dare say. It's not like she wore a uniform that had a banana graphic on it like Gwen... and Madonna didn't even wear a cheerleading uniform herself, either. Her intent was clearly not to copy someone else, but to connect thematically with the venue in which she was performing.]

Lucky Guy, I like you, and I'm not just saying that to be patronizing or condescending. I also like Kylie, and I saw her "For Me, For You" tour (or whatever it was called) in the U.S. back in 2009. But I really think it's either a stretch (in the case of cheerleading connection) or sloppiness (in the case of comparing Aphrodite to Cleopatra) to claim Madonna was blatantly borrowing from Kylie.

Sorry to have rambled on.

His BAT wonder-twin, Jose, aint looking too bad these days either. Vogueing does wonders for the skin. Who knew? :vogue:

I thought one of the two had died from HIV years ago so that's good news.

As for Madonna / Kylie. M could have been inspired by Kylie and why not? The Superbowl is principally a US thing, Kylie's tour was a UK (Europe?) thing. Madonna borrows ideas from all sorts of sources:

Nick Kamen video that inspired Justify My Love

Boy George's This Used To Be My Video

She was sued by Guy Bourdin for the Hollywood video 'homage'

However, there are a lot of Roman / Gladiator / Greek themes in the cinema and TV at the moment; Clash of the Titans, The Immortals, the wonderfully awful Spartacus, 300. With Liz Taylor's death I imagine she had the idea in her head to recreate the Cleopatra theme at some point and this was the perfect venue to do it. So it all could be coincidence. But who cares? She wiped the floor with the set and it was only the intro. The other three songs were different.

If M was copying Kylie she would have spent the entirety of Vogue sitting on her chair, being wheeled around. She would then take to the stage for Music and walk from one side of the stage to the other. GMAYL would have involved some arm waving, and Like A Prayer would have been standing in the blue smoke the whole song until the stage drop.

Glad to see Luis is doing well. That party well... :boring:

I thought one of the two had died from HIV years ago so that's good news.

Gabe died of AIDS in the 90's.

Matt from Boy Culture got a pic with José in late 2010 and he doesn't look well. I hope I'm wrong. :(

Pic @ the end of this post: http://boyculture.typepad.com/boy_culture/2010/09/spirits-in-the-material-world.html#more

The one-upping thing came from "okay, if she did rip Kylie off, what motive would she have?" that's the only thing I could come up with. You actually said it yourself:

'hey that's cool, that would work well in the context of the show'

And what's so wrong with that? If ANYTHING at all, it's flattering to Kylie - but to call it something negative like a rip off - it's almost as though you're just looking to find things wrong with something that actually worked really well for Madonna. It's a stretch too, considering the theme is so broad that anyone could have done it. What matters if it's done well. Above all that- (and I know this is a major cliche) Madonna really made it her own REGARDLESS. The entire thing was very reminscent of Girlie Show anyway, something Madonna conceptualized and executed 20 years ago.

As for Britney ripping off Kylie's FLIGHT ATTENDANT routine and what not - I really think you read into female pop stars way way too much. From the Illuminati brainwashing all the way down to Britney copying Kylie. I doubt Britney (or Larry Rudolph) can even remember who Kylie is. They probably didn't even remember going to her show back when Britney filmed Toxic tbqh.

I did not say there was anything negative in it. I questioned what most people here would make of it if it were Madonna and Gaga as alleged copied and alleged copier. I seriously doubt anyone (except perhaps Gimmesomemo who seems determined to go down with the ship) would be posting detailed arguments regarding ancient civilisations and Liz Taylor's nearly worn earrings in Gaga's defence, would they? However, I repeat, I don't see anything negative; I don't see any one upmanship, but I do see stylists working in a very small stylist village, who borrow heavily from each other all the time. Yes Madonna did it extremely well, a fact which I'm not disputing -even one of Madonna's Vogue poses, the swiftness and grace of it, is worth a whole 'dance' routine of Kylie's. However that was not the point.

As for Britters, she and her entourage go to watch a tour where Kylie has a whole routine as an air hostess and says 'Thank you for flying KMair' at the end of it, and it was one of the best received numbers of the tour. This idea later becomes part of one of Britney's videos where she says 'Thank you for flying Britney air' or something similar. You can say I'm reading too much into it; people will make up their own minds.

Guest Sinisin

Glad to see Luis is doing well. That party well... :boring:

Gabe died of AIDS in the 90's.

Matt from Boy Culture got a pic with José in late 2010 and he doesn't look well. I hope I'm wrong. :(

Pic @ the end of this post: http://boyculture.typepad.com/boy_culture/2010/09/spirits-in-the-material-world.html#more

Crazy! Why did I think Jose had died?! He looks like Sammy Davis Jr.

Luis is looking yummy I must say!

Oh, I thought the earrings were, in fact, a pair that Liz owned. It was posted twice in the Super Bowl thread, I thought... I didn't hear the Jamie King comment about them being too heavy, but maybe I just missed that somewhere.

The earrings are not the point (though they are a clear indicator that she was channeling Liz Taylor for a reason -- Cleopatra was her character). Look at the hieroglyphics on the throne. The visual reference was clearly Cleopatra and Ancient Egypt. NOT Aphrodite and Ancient Greece. Yes, there are some similar stylings to a typical gladiator image due to general blurring of Greco-Roman influences from the vantage point of this moment in modern history. That doesn't excuse laziness in people's assessment of the performance costuming. While the costuming is obviously a fusion of modern and ancient, Madonna's team clearly does a lot of research.

Re: the cheerleading bit... While it is a fact Kylie used the cheerleader motif for her previous tour in support of the X album, Madonna's quite justified in what she did. Why? Because Madonna was performing at THE SUPER BOWL. Most American football teams in the NFL have cheerleaders. (I think Pittsburgh might be one of the only teams NOT to have a cheerleading squad. I could be mistaken about that, though.) The point is, it was a football event, so it's logical for her to co-opt some of the visuals from the event. The song also features the cheerleading chants, which have drawn the comparisons to Gwen Stefani and "Hey, Mickey." Kylie's "Heartbeat Rock" may have had a similar stadium-stomp beat to "Hollaback Girl," but it didn't even feature any cheerleader chanting. So Madonna's song is arguably a more close match for the pom-pon performance. [Of course, it can be the case that Madonna actually created the song with this Super Bowl performance in mind and everything, which makes it so much more calculated, but ... what does it matter? Madonna was a cheerleader in her youth, and she's not the first female pop star to use the cheerleader motif in a performance. Nor will she be the last, I dare say. It's not like she wore a uniform that had a banana graphic on it like Gwen... and Madonna didn't even wear a cheerleading uniform herself, either. Her intent was clearly not to copy someone else, but to connect thematically with the venue in which she was performing.]

Lucky Guy, I like you, and I'm not just saying that to be patronizing . I also like Kylie, and I saw her "For Me, For You" tour (or whatever it was called) in the U.S. back in 2009. But I really think it's either a stretch (in the case of cheerleading connection) or sloppiness (in the case of comparing Aphrodite to Cleopatra) to claim Madonna was blatantly borrowing from Kylie.

Please don't worry Peter, I don't find you patronising or condescending in the least. :) I do however find you somewhat less than accurate.

The tour segment I was referring to did indeed feature cheerleader chanting, as well as dancers in American football uniforms. I'd say the similarities are rather marked.

That said, I'm not precluding other influences, especially the applicability to the Superbowl performance. That would be stupid.

I'm also not doing that in the case of the ancient Greece theme vs. Madonna's classical cultural melange -I am well aware of the differences. Madonna's soldiers are a composite of Roman and Greek influences, to which the nearest historical match is the Roman gladiator. However, I'm still not sure of your point -no-one would be stupid enough to simply lift an entire segment from a tour. Gaga wasn't stupid enough to lift a Madonna video for Alejandro, but she lifted enough that she was accused of copying. Kylie didn't lift the Around the world video from Daft Punk, but the visual and aural similarities to some of her Fever era work are too big to miss. Madonna's creative team obviously had their own ideas and influences. But they would be highly incompetent at their jobs if they weren't aware of the staging and costume design of current and recent large theatrical tours, and they certainly would have been aware of Naffrodite and its opening.

I ask you again what it would be like if (for example) Gaga had opened the Grammy's by coming in on a bus with her dancers, then proceeded to have an 'equestrian style' section. Would anyone give her passes for it being a bus not a car, or for equestrian being a well known theme etc. I highly doubt it.

Stop being ridiculous Lucky guy. If you want to say OMG MADONNA STOLE THE TRIUMPHANT ENTRY INTO ROME FROM JOSEPH MANKIEWICZ'S CLEOPATRA (1963) then yes, for once you'd be right. One Icon (Madonna) tributing another Icon (Liz Taylor)- as is the correct order of things. Of course Madonna waited until Liz had passed on, again as is the correct order of things. Unlike these pop whores who have the AUDACITY to scrape a living off Madonna's leftovers while she's still very much alive & kicking

Oh and AS IF anyone outside of a tiny community of internet gays are even AWARE of what dressing-up games kyie minogue plays on her ever-decreasing tiny provincial tours of the UK. Irrelevant doesn't even begin to describe it. If you think William Baker is regarded as anything other than a JOKE by the A-Grade talent working with Madonna, you're even more deluded than you appear.

I think we're in more agreement that you think. I completely agree that Madonna is of a different order in terms of status and creative prowess than Kylie. I also agree Madonna influences far more than she gains influence from her peers. But I insist that the Madonna of today relies a lot more than she used to on a creative team, and that shitty, provincial or otherwise, they would have been at least aware of Kylie's tour. The performance was a tour de force, it was fabulous that Madonna brought voguing queens and (more to the point) beefcake in pants and helmets to a sporting event. But we've been roundly slating Kylie and shop boi for months for bringing the same to her stage. Credit where it's due. Anyway I'll leave it now I can't really be arsed.

etc etc

Well you basically said the same as I did. What a smart man you must be.

If M was copying Kylie she would have spent the entirety of Vogue sitting on her chair, being wheeled around. She would then take to the stage for Music and walk from one side of the stage to the other. GMAYL would have involved some arm waving, and Like A Prayer would have been standing in the blue smoke the whole song until the stage drop.

:rotfl: Madonna would have had to sit on a gold pony with some bed linen flowing behind her.

Please don't worry Peter, I don't find you patronising or condescending in the least. :) I do however find you somewhat less than accurate.

The tour segment I was referring to did indeed feature cheerleader chanting, as well as dancers in American football uniforms. I'd say the similarities are rather marked.

That said, I'm not precluding other influences, especially the applicability to the Superbowl performance. That would be stupid.

I'm also not doing that in the case of the ancient Greece theme vs. Madonna's classical cultural melange -I am well aware of the differences. Madonna's soldiers are a composite of Roman and Greek influences, to which the nearest historical match is the Roman gladiator. However, I'm still not sure of your point -no-one would be stupid enough to simply lift an entire segment from a tour. Gaga wasn't stupid enough to lift a Madonna video for Alejandro, but she lifted enough that she was accused of copying. Kylie didn't lift the Around the world video from Daft Punk, but the visual and aural similarities to some of her Fever era work are too big to miss. Madonna's creative team obviously had their own ideas and influences. But they would be highly incompetent at their jobs if they weren't aware of the staging and costume design of current and recent large theatrical tours, and they certainly would have been aware of Naffrodite and its opening.

I ask you again what it would be like if (for example) Gaga had opened the Grammy's by coming in on a bus with her dancers, then proceeded to have an 'equestrian style' section. Would anyone give her passes for it being a bus not a car, or for equestrian being a well known theme etc. I highly doubt it.

:rotfl: I can't tell anymore if you are being serious. The outfits were Roman. Madonnas initial outfit was ancient Egypt and then the costume beneath was Roman war garb. The accompaniment of The Queen onto the field was representative of Roman legions. The lyre player even had performance outfitting on. The guy on the free wire was dressed as a Roman Cherub. I really don't understand where you are seeing ancient Greece. I guess you can't have any knowledge allowing you to distinctly identify either.

Stop being ridiculous Lucky guy. If you want to say OMG MADONNA STOLE THE TRIUMPHANT ENTRY INTO ROME FROM JOSEPH MANKIEWICZ'S CLEOPATRA (1963) then yes, for once you'd be right. One Icon (Madonna) tributing another Icon (Liz Taylor)- as is the correct order of things. Of course Madonna waited until Liz had passed on, again as is the correct order of things. Unlike these pop whores who have the AUDACITY to scrape a living off Madonna's leftovers while she's still very much alive & kicking

Oh and AS IF anyone outside of a tiny community of internet gays are even AWARE of what dressing-up games kyie minogue plays on her ever-decreasing tiny provincial tours of the UK. Irrelevant doesn't even begin to describe it. If you think William Baker is regarded as anything other than a JOKE by the A-Grade talent working with Madonna, you're even more deluded than you appear.

He's deluded or winding us up. He thinks I'm putting my mind into Madonnas because I know for a fact she was referencing this...

Madonna is recontextualising the film and to great effect. It was perfect. That's why I adore her so much. She knows her shit and her work is organic. It comes from her own thoughts and feelings. It means something. Ignorance is dangerous. Ugh.

However, I'm still not sure of your point -no-one would be stupid enough to simply lift an entire segment from a tour. Gaga wasn't stupid enough to lift a Madonna video for Alejandro, but she lifted enough that she was accused of copying.

Hmm... Well, firstly, I'm glad you weren't insulted, of course! I must admit I hadn't remembered the Kylie performance completely clearly in my memory. She obviously did ADD cheerleader chanting to the tour performance -- but my point was that Madonna's song (GMAYL) builds itself AROUND the cheerleader chant as its hook. It's already an organic part of the song, so it stands to reason she would use a cheerleader routine in the performance. She may have thought to herself, 'well, Kylie's already done it, Gwen's already done it, and Toni did it WAY long ago, BUT it's legitimate enough for me to do it both because of the song and because of the venue.' Or not. I don't know. (I am not inaccurate in saying that Kylie's "Heart Beat Rock" does NOT use any chanting in the album version, though. I know we're talking live performances, so it's valid to bring it up. I'm just saying, you could easily fault Kylie with ripping off Gwen, then! Because the song borrows the flavor of "Hollaback Girl" and the live performance takes it one step farther, aping the imagery.) In all honesty, Kylie's is more "V-A-R-S-I-T-Y" than Madonna's Super Bowl performance, which is more 'professional sports dance squad' by way of antiquity. I know that's really splitting hairs, but there you go. (The 'cheerleaders' in the Super Bowl performance are referred to as "dancing dolls" in the technical notes from the show. They remind me more of the RIT dancers from "Hanky Panky" with pom-pons more than Kylie's cheerleaders, tbqh. :D Kylie's are more in the vein of tumbling, acrobatic, 'athletic supporters' as you would find at sporting events. Haha!)

As for Gaga and Alejandro ... she didn't just lift from one Madonna source. She lifted from multiple Madonna sources, and even used one of Madonna's collaborators (Klein) to do it. The "Vogue" references, the "Like a Prayer" religious/costuming details, the "Express Yourself" lighting and sequences (which, yes, also reference Metropolis), and the X-Static Process (photo shoot/art installation - not the song) bed sequences... I mean, that all adds up to A LOT of borrowing from Madonna -- all with similar looks. You have to admit Madonna's cheerleaders look nothing like Kylie's cheerleaders and there was not a football player in sight in Madonna visualization. (And the same characters in the GMAYL video are highly stylized/roboticized, so there's really no comparison there, either. M.I.A. looks more like a poseur in mimicking the lead singer from Sleigh Bells in the Infinity Guitar video than ripping off Kylie or Gwen, honestly.)

Finally, as for your question, the comparison isn't apt -- again because this was the Super Bowl, which is an athletics event, not the Grammys, which is a music-focused event. Now, had Gaga mounted a performance at an equestrian competition in which she opened up with an equine theme, fine -- so be it. Even if it nicked the imagery of M's CT Future Lovers/I Feel Love intro, we'd have nothing to say, because the venue makes it valid on some level. At the Grammys, if it was similar to one of M's performances of "Music" we'd have to give her a pass, saying, well, it is a music event....

One Icon (Madonna) tributing another Icon (Liz Taylor)- as is the correct order of things. Of course Madonna waited until Liz had passed on, again as is the correct order of things. Unlike these pop whores who have the AUDACITY to scrape a living off Madonna's leftovers while she's still very much alive & kicking

This. I am always trying to make this argument to people, too. It's like Madonna's a proponent of cultural literacy - trying to introduce or re-introduce the masses to concepts/art/figures who have passed away or gone unnoticed for a long time due to inactivity or death.

Well you basically said the same as I did. What a smart man you must be.

You flatter me ... and sorry if I did re-iterate some of what you already said. I didn't want to be redundant, but I did want to cover BOTH accusations (the Greco/Roman comparison and the cheerleader comparison) so that it wouldn't seem like I was 'conveniently overlooking' something.

I get the Kylie comparison but I just think they are two very different shows.

They have totally different vibes as well.

Madonna's was just pure class from beginning to end and Kylie's ( I saw it .) was just so tacky.

Also I thought B.Akerlund did an amazing job with the costumes.She didn't take the theme literally even with the dancing dolls in GMAYL .

Also everybody who was involved in designing the stage / the graphic /the lighting etc did fantastic jobs also.