Madonna Super Bowl thread

Guest Not4Pussies

Drag queen re-creates entire Madonna Super Bowl halftime show

:thumbsup:

when janet gonna do it :lol:

Actually, Janet's recent tours have all appeared to be designed, choreographed, composed, and directed by drag queens. Ms Jackson being the head tranny, of course.

Guest groovyguy

http://www.style.com/stylefile/2012/02/fausto-puglisis-cheerleading-squad-expands/

Fausto Puglisi’s Cheerleading Squad Expands

When Style.com’s editors walked into Milanese designer Fausto Puglisi’s showroom this morning, they arrived to a room full of buyers, editors, and stylists (very different compared to our visit last season, when it was just us). Let’s call it the Super Bowl effect. Puglisi, if you recall, is the man behind M.I.A. and Nicki Minaj’s Super Bowl halftime wardrobes, and based on today’s turnout, it looks like he scored some big points with the fashion set in the process. Luckily for him, his turn as designer to the pop divas was also the starting point for his new collection, which he describes as “Helmut Newton, New Pagan emperor” with “neoclassical influences.”

The development of this collection was born with B. Akerlund while working on Madonna, Nicki Minaj, and M.I.A’s Super Bowl show,” the designer tells Style.com. That would explain the fetish leather pieces, embellished with crystal starbursts, gold thread, and metals—it was a look quite similar to the Super Bowl outfits. “I pushed to play not only with black plonge leather; there is a gladiator Hellenic American College print and peroxide blond leopard print. It’s unusual to see these prints on leather.” He did more of his now signature Grecian-Roman cheerleader dresses (and did them well), but there’s also structured menswear-inspired jackets, “rock star” biker pants, cashmere twinsets, and eveningwear in the mix. Overall, it was another strong outing for the designer. As for what’s on the horizon, he tells us, “the goal, for sure, is a first shop in the U.S.”

—Kristin Studeman

fausto2-sized.jpg

fausto-sized.jpg

are they father & son? it's adorable having a father and son so liking MADONNA and knowing what's she's made of...

One kid calls him MIKE, the other calls him DAD. Love those vids.

Guest bluejean

REVOLTING

:lmao: I love the ending the most where she falls into a pile of dancers instead of disappearing.

I think in Music she should have lost her balance like Madonna did, that would have made it for me :lol:

Guest groovyguy

http://bturn.com/6493/interview-marc-houle

Interview: Marc Houle

The techno master Marc Houle, part of the legendary Minus label, joins Tijana T in an online chat to talk about his weird Eastern European experiences, past life as a mega nerd, making 3 songs a day, getting hurt in the studio, the possibility of being liked by Madonna and his theory on why minimal techno is dead. He also promised a tour around Balkan villages.

TT: Azari & III (also on Turbo) became Madonna’s favs, are you aiming for that?

MH: Haha, definitely not.

TT: You wouldn’t like to be liked by Madge?

MH: Although I would love to get my hands on all that old material stuff that girl made. Liked by Madge… I dunno, I guess. I’m Canadian, we strive to be liked by all. That’s why I should say now that I love that whole Bulkan region. Balkan. Did you see Madonna at the Superbowl thing? What did you think?

TT: I didn’t like Madonna Superbowl thing.

MH: Yeah it was all show and no content. I hate that but it’s the nature of our business I guess. People respond better to whistles and bells than good music. My next album – whistles, bells and marimbas! My chin really hurts.

Drag queen re-creates entire Madonna Super Bowl halftime show

:thumbsup:

when janet gonna do it :lol:

Oh my god at the fire extinguisher and the entirety of the Music section. :rotfl: I actually found the drag queen a bit scary looking. The best thing about this kind of thing is that it makes you respect the ultimate phantasmagorical workings of the true queen of the universe. Like no other. Absolutely flawless.

Mega-super star Madonna's campaign for world peace

Horace Campbell

My link

On Sunday February 5, 2012 one of the biggest spectacles in the US entertainment and sports world took place, Super Bowl XLVI, the annual championship game of American football. It was during the half time show when over 111 million spectators watched when the world famous songstress, Madonna unveiled her statement of World Peace. These two words were released as a puff of smoke after she sang one of her more well-known songs, "Like a Prayer."

The Super Bowl half time show is one of the most coveted slots in the United States' entertainment calendar. Remarkably, this artist was able to sing a medley of 8 songs in ten minutes. In these ten minutes Madonna brought out a performance that must have taken months of rehearsing, using the most advanced technology and working with the circus entertainment company, Cirque du Soleil. Drawing on the talents of other younger radical and anti-imperialist artist M.I.A, the unclear Nicki Minaj along with others such as LMFAO and Cee Lo Green, Madonna brought out collaboration. With her "World Peace" statement, she intended the halftime show was to make a statement to the US society to get off its militaristic path. There are sections of the militaristic wing of the United States which is currently in a fever pitch of discussion about 'Will Israel Attack Iran'?

There is not a day where there is not speculation in the media whether the Israelis will blackmail Obama into joining Israel in an attack on Iran. Ira Chernus in his submission, "New York Times Hypes Israeli Attack On Iran" has drawn attention to how mainstream newspapers such as the New York Times and the Washington Post are hyping the question of war against Iran. The Madonna message was presented in the midst of this media pressure for war.

Will the society listen? I don't know. But I was listening, and I want to share what I took away from her performance.

SUPER BOWL 46

American Football is a game similar to rugby football in which two teams attempt to get an ovoid ball into each other's territory. Called football in the United States and Canada and American football elsewhere, it is an aggressive contact sport.

At the end of the season (which is usually played in the winter), there is the main championship game between the winners of the American Football Conference (AFC) and the National Football Conference (NFC). Professional football is distinguishable from the games played at the college level, called Bowl games. Whether at the college level (which is supposed to be non-professional), or at the Professional level, this sport is a multi-billion dollar business.

In this 2012 championship match, the game, played in Indiana, was between the New York Giants (NFC) and the New England Patriots (AFC). Much like the annual cup final which is played at Wembley Stadium every year in England, this championship show is moved around different locales in the United States, but it is consistently viewed by more than 100 million individuals, the biggest TV event of the year. This game played on a Sunday is one where the society basically shuts down.

American football, like the society is a violent contact (some would say militarized) sport. It forms an important link in the chain of the armaments culture where the patriotism is called forth by the rendition of the national anthem before the game. All major sports events in the United States are preceded by the singing of the anthem but somehow at Super Bowl games there is an added emphasis on patriotism and support for the militaristic traditions of the USA. Roger Cohen in his commentary in the New York Times on Super bowl 46 entitled, 'The Puzzle of Two Footballs' had this description of the US game in comparing US football to soccer in the rest of the world:

"A rugby-style game was formalized and militarized with the introduction of painted lines on the field, the scrimmage confrontation rather than the free-for-all scrum, the forward pass, and drives ("March, march on down the field," was how Yale serenaded it) orchestrated by a quarterback playing general and masterminded by a hands-on coach cast as generalissimo. A New York Times analysis of six months of coverage of the National Football League on two ESPN shows revealed that "coverage is often cast in battleground terms." ESPN sportscasters used the word "weapon" at least 123 times."

THE PERFORMANCE

Every year for the past thirty years, the half time show of the Super Bowl has featured popular recording artists and other well-known celebrities. This half time show represents a fundamental link to United States popular culture and the performer at this show is supposed to be at the top of the list of entertainers. This year the performer was Madonna, the well -known singer, actress, artist and activist. Madonna is 53 years old and the performance drew from the depth of her skills to make a major statement. There is enough written about her illustrious career so that it is not necessary to go over the highlights. Suffice to say, she is what is called a mega-super star in the North American entertainment business.

First, it was the entrance. Madonna enters the field on an angular golden throne, which is pulled across the 50-yard line by a group of dancers whose costume is that of a legion of Roman Centurions. Was Madonna bringing to the attention of this vast audience the imagery of Roman Centurions in a country that posits itself as the Roman Empire of modern times (USA)? The entire spectacle was presented in a brilliant piece of technical wizadry that brought out the best in 21st century technology where according to one commentator:

"The ground beneath their feet begins to change; not just onstage, but on the field too. Suddenly the floor appears to be made of hundreds of squares which flip over and morph into covers of Vogue magazine, an image of Madonna looking out from each of them. These images aren't stationary, though. They are continually overturning, rearranging, pulsating, and alive."

The image of the ground moving beneath their feet was the backdrop to the voice of Madonna chanting, "Don't just stand there," as she sang, "Vogue." This was the only song that she performed solo. The projection mapping, that is, transposing 3-D visual effects over physical spaces, was used to bring on hundreds in a music and dance performance that was supposed to entertain, inspire and inform the possibilities of cooperation and collaboration across many different artists and professionals in far flung places.

COLLABORATION

From this song "Vogue" she went into a medley of songs. With a cast of more than 200 dancers, Madonna at 53 years old brought forth in a wonderfully choreographed performance with LMFAO. There was the kind of dancing with high wire balancing and acrobatics which was itself symbolic of the high wire cultural statement that Madonna was making. This was in the hip-hop mode replete with break-dancers -- and an impressive tight-rope walker. This is when she performed "Music," accompanied by the duo LMFAO who with Madonna offered the hit "Sexy and I Know It."

The well-known rap artists Nicki Minaj and M.I.A. then joined Madonna set to a cheerleader theme., Madonna teamed with Nicki Minaj and M.I.A in singing of the song, "Give Me All Your Luvin." These three performers danced as cheerleaders, complete with golden pom-poms and marching band. Again the choreography was outstanding and was as spectacular as the main artists. Younger readers of Pambazuka will know of the strong anti-imperialist positions of artists such as M.I. A (Mathangi "Maya" Arulpragasam) who supports the cause of self- determination of the Palestinian people. With a heritage from the war torn society of Sri Lanka where the Tamil people have been fighting for dignity, M.I.A has given voice to that section of Asian society.

Nicki Minaj is another young artist from the Caribbean whose heritage is of both Africa and India. Nicki Minaj is not yet clear in her politics and has signed on to a recording company that exploits sexual deviancy. Last year at her Grammy performance she simulated an exorcism of Roman, a clear reference to is Roman Zolansky, considered a code name for Roman Polansky who has sought refuge in Europe for committing child abuse. Nicki is talented but unlike M.I. A who sends out clear positive anti-imperialist messages, her message to young teenage girls is confusing.

That Madonna chose to sing the song "Give Me All Your Luvin'" with these two artists whose youthful energy and power were in and of themselves another statement of collaboration and support. Collaboration is a commonplace feature today's music industry and is rarely done to advance the spirit of unity. It is usually a profit driven marketing strategy where veterans like Madonna are paired with the hottest and most popular artists of the day to increase sales, tap a larger market share and expand the audience of all parties involved. In this collaboration, Madonna seem to be turning the sales strategy on its head, tapping into a larger audience to promote a peace message in a society where the Lords of Finance consciously mobilize religion, art and culture as tools for social and political control of the mass society.

LIKE A PRAYER FOR WORLD PEACE

The scenes of cheerleading and singing was quickly changed to another set depicting a serious religious scene. Fusing together gospel music with hip hop culture, Madonna sang "Like A Prayer" as a duet with the rapper Cee-Lo Green, who was dressed in the ministerial garb of a pastor, representing a leader in the Christian faith. The 3-D technology was now being utilized to the maximum as the stadium flickered with white lights while Cee-lo Green brought out the best of the gospel traditions of African American life and sang, "Like A Prayer," black and white singing together challenging the old taboos. It was not by accident that the music videos for this song had the background of a burning cross.

Green brought forth the vigor of black talent as Madonna sang on and off on her knees, until she disappeared in a blast of smoke, crooning , "I hear you call my name and it feels like home." The stadium was illuminated with thousands of tiny lights, concluding with the words "World Peace" set against the darkness of the field -- and Madonna disappearing in a puff of smoke.

There was no mistake in the message that Madonna wanted everyone to take away from this Super Bowl in the midst of a society that is gung-ho on war.

The corporate media choose to ignore this clear call for peace and instead worked hard to focus on a gesture of M.I.A. who during the performance of "Give Me All You Luvin,'" displayed her middle finger at a point when most people did not see it. This media furor over M.I. A was to serve two purposes, it was to discredit the strong positions of M.I.A as well as to divert attention from the fact that Madonna was calling for world peace.

AS WE MOURN WHITNEY HOUSTON

One could not end this commentary on the performance of Madonna at the Super Bowl without joining with millions around the world in mourning the passing of Whitney Houston. As one who enjoyed the music of Whitney Houston over the years, I received the news of her transition at the age of 48 with genuine sadness. Houston was a tremendous singer, whose best performances contained energy, vibrancy and inspiration. In joining the ancestors at the young age of 48, the last years of the life of Whitney Houston was one of profound challenges and struggles. And, now that Houston has passed, the corporate media machine is going into overdrive to discredit her contributions without grasping the kind of pressure cooker world that artists such as Whitney Houston had to inhabit. Whitney Houston was an artist that inspired Nelson Mandela, a leader who stood for peace and Ubuntu. When Houston performed at the White House for Mandela, Mandela paid her the highest tribute. Whitney said at the Rose Garden in 1994, "This performance is very special to me because in 1988 I sang in honour of Nelson Mandela the inmate and tonight I sing for elected president, Nelson Mandela." Whitney Houston paid attention to the injustice of apartheid and wanted peace.

CREATIVE ENERGIES CANNOT BE CRUSHED

Super Bowl 46 was played on February 5, 2012 in an environment where the mainstream media are cheerleaders for war against the people of Iran. Into this armaments culture, Madonna entered onto the stage and in ten minutes incorporated songs, dance, music, technology, artistry to redirect the attention of the more than 112 million viewers to the idea of peace. There were many statements that Madonna made in this performance and those who want to get the message can study the video on You Tube. This was an intentional statement where the creativity and voice was being beamed as an intervention against the militarists in Israel and the United States. Madonna was born into a Roman Catholic family and for decades has been associated with the sexpolitation of Hollywood. From Catholicism, she has since converted to Judaism, and has been forthright in her desire for a peaceful resolution to the question of self-determination for the Palestinian peoples. Her fan base in Israel is not inconsequential and many of the youths there instinctively grasped the importance of her message of peace.

Madonna has been seeking to develop links in Africa, especially Malawi. She has been a forthright advocate for Ubuntu. This sentiment was clearly articulated in her film, "I Am Because We Are," a film about the impact of HIV AIDS in Malawi.

Madonna is now standing along with another super athlete who has positively identified with world peace. Last year the NBA player, Ron Artest of the Los Angeles Lakers officially changed his name to Metta World peace. The first name is a Buddhist term meaning "loving kindness. With the words World Peace printed as his name on the back of his Lakers jersey, every time this athlete jumps to make a shot he wants the world to think and reflect on world peace at all levels.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest groovyguy

http://www.blogher.com/snippets/madonna-and-my-wake-call-about-double-standard-aging

Madonna and My Wake-Up Call about The Double Standard In Aging

March 13, 2012 10:19 am by Mona Gable in Feminism

[Editor's note: Madonna's performance at the Super Bowl generated a lot of heat. And not all of it positive. Isn't she way too old to be dancing around like that on stage? How embarrassing! Yet as far as aging goes, what's forbidden or frowned upon for women of a certain age is often considered perfectly acceptable or even to be applauded in men. Deborah Shane realized this after seeing the reaction to the Material Girl's performance and blogged about it on Toolbox.--Mona]

As I was scrolling through Facebook and Twitter, I honestly couldn’t believe what I was reading. Tucked amid the favorable (and not-so-favorable) comments on the performance itself were pages and pages of low blow cracks on her age. I was tempted to reprint a few here but, frankly, I don’t want to give the vitriol additional airtime.

Of course, I’m not completely naive. I get that anyone brave enough to tackle a halftime show is setting themselves up for criticism and, yes, I’m sure the Black Eyed Peas are still pulling out the thorns from last year. Regardless… it was especially disappointing to find that so many “atta-girls” were also incredibly, backhandedly ageist.

Guest groovyguy

http://www.blogher.com/frame.php?url=http://www.deborahshanetoolbox.com/why-madonna-proved-gloria-steinem-was-right/

Why Madonna Proved Gloria Steinem Was Right

by Deborah Shane on March 13th

This article originally ran on Emily Bennington’s, Seriously Empowered Leadership Blog!

Last fall I had the privilege of speaking at a conference where Gloria Steinem was the keynote. As she was discussing some of the hard-fought lessons of 1970s feminism, Steinem made a comment that seemed very strange to me at the time. When asked about whether a movement had to be “radical” to make substantial change, she softly replied:

“I don’t know why women aren’t more angry these days…because we still have so much to be angry about.”

“Really?” I thought. As I looked around the audience of more than 3,000 women, the picket signs from three decades before had clearly been replaced with shoulder pads. These were the women who poured into the workforce on the backs of trailblazers like Steinem herself. They were college-educated, sitting on boards, and running their own businesses.

What did they have to be angry about?

To be perfectly honest, I was watching Steinem after delivering my own presentation about why the feminist debate seems to be shifting away from why we can’t bust through the glass ceiling, to why we don’t want to. Naturally, there will always be more we can do for gender equality in the workforce but, for the most part, I had come to the event to defend our position on the fairness scale.

Cut to Sunday night and Madonna’s performance at the Super Bowl.

As I was scrolling through Facebook and Twitter, I honestly couldn’t believe what I was reading. Tucked amid the favorable (and not-so-favorable) comments on the performance itself were pages and pages of low blow cracks on her age. I was tempted to reprint a few here but, frankly, I don’t want to give the vitriol additional airtime.

Of course, I’m not completely naive. I get that anyone brave enough to tackle a halftime show is setting themselves up for criticism and, yes, I’m sure the Black Eyed Peas are still pulling out the thorns from last year. Regardless… it was especially disappointing to find that so many “atta-girls” were also incredibly, backhandedly agist. Take this one from a well-meaning Rita Wilson.

Woke up and still thinking how amazing Madonna was… And so inspiring. She is not letting age define what she does.

Sigh. Did anyone wake up the next morning and high-five Tom Petty, then 58, for not breaking a hip onstage in 2008? Moreover, I’ve seen a lot of people posting video today of Bruce Springsteen’s 2009 performance, yet not one of them has prefaced it with, “Wow – he really killed it for 60!”

There is clearly a double-standard here – and not just for pop stars.

I’ve often wondered why, at 35, I have to fight against feeling “too old” to train college grads or to try something new in my career. A few months ago, I even went so far as to create a vision board of powerful, beautiful women who are at the top of their game into their 60′s and beyond. Every time I look at it, I’m reminded that I’m not a wilting flower.

Neither are you, and neither is Madonna.

But why do we need these reminders? Perhaps it’s because every time we read a post about someone being “geriatric” at 53, we feel just as disposable. So – in my own form of protest – I’m removing the word “still” from my vocabulary when used in the context of “he / she’s STILL got it.” (While that may sound like a compliment, it really means even at their advanced age.) I know it’s not marching on Washington or founding a feminist magazine, but I still think Gloria Steinem would be proud. After all, I finally got angry – and I’m doing my part.

That's a great article - thanks. I'm a woman, almost 34, and at times I do feel like things are over for me. I look to Madonna to pave a better, more relevant future for me :thumbsup: