Superbowl Reviews

IslandBreeze

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/02/06/idUS121991955020120206

Ratings: Madonna's Super Bowl Halftime Show Edges Out the Game

content by The Wrap

By Tim Kenneally at TheWrap

Mon Feb 6, 2012 4:59pm EST

Madonna might not have been the most obvious choice to perform at the Super Bowl halftime show, but she turned out to be a wise choice.

According to numbers released by NBC Sports on Monday, Madonna's performance was the most-watched Super Bowl halftime show featuring entertainment on record :wow: -- and actually edged out the game's averages in both ratings and total viewers.

Madonna's halftime performance, airing from 8 to 8:30 p.m. ET, was watched by 114 million viewers, and scored a 47.4 household rating, narrowly beating out the overall averages for the game, which averaged 111.3 million total viewers and a 47.0 household rating.

In the advertiser-coveted adults 18-49 demographic, the singer's mid-game spectacular also squeaked out a victory, grabbing a 41.5 rating, versus the game average of 40.5.

Of course, those were averages, and at times the game handily surpassed the average -- with viewership increasing throughout the night, the game peaked at the end from 9:30 to 9:58 ET, a half-hour that scored a 50.7 household rating/72 share, and 117.7 million total viewers.

Even so, there's no denying that Madonna's performance scored a solid hit, besting last year's performance by the Black Eyed Peas by six percent in the ratings, and beat out last year's halftime viewership by nearly four million viewers. (It performed even better when compared to NBC's last Super Bowl halftime show, besting Bruce Springsteen's performance by 18.3 million total viewers.)

On the social media front, Madonna's halftime performance fared well too -- the show created the second-highest peak in tweets her second, generating 10,245 tweets per second at one point in the performance. (The highest Twitter peak came at the end of the game, with 12,233 tweets per second.

Maybe M.I.A. wasn't really flipping the bird during the performance, but telling the audience, "We're number one"?

Guest groovyguy

http://www.updt.me/go?item=madonna-s-over-the-top-super-bowl-looks-all-the-details&t=fb

Madonna’s Over-the-Top Super Bowl Looks: All the Details!

madonna-440x330.jpg

Kevin Mazur/WireImage; Frank Micelotta/PictureGroup

Her halftime show scored mixed reviews (full disclosure: we loved it!) but Madonna‘s Super Bowl Sunday style was a total touchdown. The Material Girl performed a series of hits in an elaborate black-and-gold wardrobe made by Givenchy’s Ricardo Tisci (accented with megawatt earrings by Bulgari) and seamlessly transitioned between looks.

Madonna started her performance in a gold cape hand-embroidered with gold metal cut-out pieces, studs, crystals, sequins and paillettes, lined in a leopard-print chiffon. She paired that with a gold, crystal-covered hat. She then changed — on stage! — into a black mini-dress (top left) with a black python hand-studded and hand-embroidered belt with removable matching flaps. (The guys of LMFAO peeled that off of her after their cameo.)

For the “Like a Prayer” finale — which featured Cee Lo Green — the singer covered up in a silk cady black coat hand-embroidered with black sequins and micro pearls (top right). Throughout the performance, she also wore hand-embroidered nappa leather gloves and killer black boots.

According to a release, “Madonna’s legendary music met Ricardo Tisci’s codes in what seemed to be the most perfect way.” And the designer himself was pleased with the results. “Following my collaboration with Madonna on her last tour three years ago, it is a great honor for me to be part of yet another historical and iconic moment.”

He continues, “People say everything has a limit, but limits do not exist with Madonna. I am so happy that, after being busy in other scenes, she decided to go back on a music stage. Not only to bring us music, but also to make such a statement of performance and fashion.” Tell us: What did you think of Madonna’s Super Bowl style? And did you enjoy her performance?

Guest groovyguy

http://www.updt.me/go?item=madonna-rocks-and-not-in-a-rocking-chair&t=fb

Madonna rocks - and not in a rocking chair

(RNN) – Among the anticipated highlights of Sunday night's Super Bowl contest was not the match-up between the Giants and the Patriots. It wasn't even the commercials creating all that buzz. It was Madonna, and the will-she or won't-she anticipation of skin she might show.

Admit it, you wondered quietly in your little head whether Madonna would top "Ms. Jackson if you're nasty" and bare more than the censors could tolerate.

She didn't. And by refraining, Madonna shocked us again.

The opening seconds of Madonna's show were a an answer to Lady Gaga's brand of idol worship in which she famously arrived at the 2011 Grammy Awards in an egg carried on the shoulders of plastic-wrapped throne-bearers.

Madonna's servants were barrel-chested men - and there were dozens of them. She emerged draped in gold, trumpeted in her arrival and all eyes remained on her despite the theatrics.

All props to Gaga and her showmanship, but she was right on when she arrived in an egg: She is a prenatal version of a fully realized, 30-year career: a Madonna 2.0.

Madonna, crown on her head, arrived onstage to be surrounded by Caligula-inspired dancers, with their Baphomet head gear and choreography timed to accent the sound of a drawn spear. Madonna was covered shoulder-to-fingers, nape of the neck to thigh-high boots.

At this point, as might be expected, it was time for Madonna to rip off her Romanesque skirt.

Right on cue, she obliged, but just the top layer, leaving a mid-thigh flounce behind and showing not an ounce more of skin.

And she was beautiful.

I don't know if you caught how many times she dropped into a deep squat and jumped to her feet, but Madonna's still got it. She's got it in a way that doesn't require her to bare 480 square inches of skin to get headlines.

Yes, M.I.A. gathered some attention for her no-doubt. pre-planned "rude" gesture. (Back at ya, girl.)

But we're all talking about Madonna today because she delivered a performance that was unexpected and gorgeous.

But today, the word online is that she looked great "for 53."

What does it take for female performers to get respect? Mick Jagger can gyrate in a taped performance with Will i. Am, working that old groove of rooster moves he's been defaulting to for 40 years. Madonna headlines the biggest show of the year, and gets "not bad for an ol' girl."

Compared to whom? The Black Eyed Peas and their 2011 performance?

I'd take Madonna over Fergie in a cage match any day. Judge for yourself. Stacie Ferguson, 36, wanders about three feet from her planted position the entire (off-key) show. I think she shakes her hips a couple times for effect.

You and I both know Madge could run laps around most of us – and shame your boyfriend in a push-up competition. If she wants to turn cartwheels and dance in high heels during one of the biggest broadcast events of the year, more power to her.

As one Twitter user, sfj, put it:

"A magical thing will (happen) if any 53-year-old man is ever submitted to the same physical critiques as Madonna."

Women age, folks. Get over it.

16685887_BG1.jpg16685887_BG2.jpg16685887_BG3.jpg16685887_BG4.jpg

Guest groovyguy

http://www.soundspike.com/story/3745/madonna-wows-fans-at-super-bowl-halftime-show/

Madonna wows fans at Super Bowl halftime show

madonna_halftime_2012_2.jpg

Love her or hate her, Madonna sure seems to know how to both get and keep people talking about her.

In what now has to be viewed as an overt attempt to take back her Queen of Pop crown from newcomers like Lady Gaga, the Material Girl wowed a huge halftime crowd at the Super Bowl in Indianapolis with an over-the-top glitter bomb of a set that included dozens if not hundreds of dancers and some pretty serious guest star talent, along with a little controversy to spike the punch bowl.

The 53-year-old singer looked like an earlier version of herself, dressed as some sort of Egyptian-style queen as she was carried to the stage by a bevy of heavily-muscled men before launching into "Vogue," "Music," "Like a Prayer" and her latest single, "Gimme All Your Luvin'." The set included several quick costume changes and an occasional misstep -- Madonna appeared to sway precariously while performing a turn in tall boots with ridiculously high heels. She mostly let others handle the tricky stuff, however, including an odd-looking fellow with an Afro performing high-wire acrobatics while Madge vamped nearby in her high heels.

She was joined by Nicki Minaj and M.I.A. for "Luvin'," which resulted in the show's seemingly requisite lightning rod moment, when M.I.A. faced the camera and flipped off millions of viewers, an event which is already roiling the troubled waters of a world still obsessed over Janet Jackson's nipple.

The night, however, belonged to Madonna and her impossibly high dancing shoes. Although the evening served to convince people that the old gal was not only still around but also still in her prime, in a more concrete sense it represented just the reconnaissance group of the coming Madonna invasion fleet -- 150 million people supposedly watched her video premiere last week, and millions more are waiting breathlessly for next month's "MDNA," her 12th studio album, which represents a huge risk/reward payoff for Live Nation, Interscope and everyone else heavily invested in Brand Madonna.

But early returns must have felt encouraging to anyone with a financial stake in the star and her muse.

According to a Twitter source, the service's "read" levels -- the number of tweets being accessed and viewed per second -- rose to twice their average worldwide levels during the halftime extravaganza. And considering that "worldwide" includes a lot of places where nobody cares about the Super Bowl, adjust your hype meter accordingly.

Twitter, which likes to tweet statistics about its tweeters, tweeted that tweets per second topped out at around 10,000 per second during Madonna's performance, a number overshadowed only barely by the 12,000 messages per second tweeted at the game's dramatic conclusion. Neither event came close to eclipsing the service's all-time record, however, which came during December's traditional annual airing of the 1986 anime film "Castles in the Sky" in Japan, when tweets topped 25,000 per second.

As has now become traditional, celebrities also flocked to Twitter to share their takes on the predominant spectacle of the day. Most famous people seemed to come down firmly in favor of fellow-famous person Madonna, with the occasional naysayer: "If someone did this on America's Got Talent, they'd be laughed (and buzzed) off stage," wrote Piers Morgan in full and resplendent Captain Hook character. Others framed their (mild) criticisms more cagily: "Congrats to Madonna for great spot, especially considering game has resumed during last three minutes," tweeted Steve Martin.

has this been posted yet? not sure but i like it!

What’s so funny about a 53-year old woman performing the half-time show? Tom Petty was 57 and Bruce Springsteen was 59 when they did their respective halftime shows. Must be the ‘woman’ part of the equation, huh?”

http://www.forbes.com/sites/lizgarcia/2012/02/06/response-to-madonnas-half-time-show-was-ageist/

One of my FAVORITE reviews: ESPN. (Read from beginning to end, starts out questionable and ends up definitively).

Gay Coding and Madonna's (Brilliant) Halftime Show

In most male sports and some movies, it's entirely possible to not notice that sometimes the grabbiness, emotional intimacy, and prolonged contact is absurd. It's possible to watch 300 and think, with a straight face, that it's just the greatest man-to-man combat movie ever made, that there's nothing gay about a bunch of half-dressed warriors battling for control of some place called the Hot Gates. Madonna is not one of those people. Madonna is Miss Hot Gates 1984-1995. She probably watched 300 and thought it needed another zero. So last night during her Super Bowl halftime show, there that zero was.

A phalanx of muscled gladiators brought her to the stage on a Roman float (the guys in 300 were Greek, but let's not mince civilizations), and she opened the show with "Vogue." Unlike previous halftime acts, Madonna doesn't have a "Let's Go Crazy," a "Start Me Up," or a "Let's Get It Started." She has a no. 1 hit inspired by a poor, black, gay underground that held drag balls inspired by old Hollywood glamour and Dynasty. Madonna kicked off her halftime show with that. She lip-synched the show in a way that turned her into a drag queen doing herself, and cleverly remixed the song so that "ladies … fellas" became just "ladies." Vogue cover boys struck poses on the field of screens at her feet, while her costume people gave us a taste of how the Caesars Palace version of Eyes Wide Shut might go.

Next, she brought out some impressive parkour B-boys and one wire-dancing gentleman in a toga from Cirque du Soleil who made the world grab its collective crotch. She featured a bland new song whose best parts are rapped by Nicki Minaj and M.I.A., two women as subversive now as Ms. Hot Gates used to be. (M.I.A. actually gave the finger to the cameras.) And to close the whole thing out, Cee Lo Green, a marching band, and a choir showed up for what became "Like a Prayer." Then, in a blast of silent-movie fog, Madonna was gone.

She had come to Indianapolis to feminize, kitsch, and queer the Super Bowl, and by that measure her 12 minutes were a success. Madonna's genius as an artist has been to remove subtext and eliminate the underground, to put everything out in the open. (I mean, she published a sex book called Sex.) This doesn't mean she is free of mystery (do you understand "Like a Prayer"?), but, for decades, her entire point is that everything good and important should be mainstream. No one should hide or be hidden. There is no shame in whoever you are.

It's true that this message was more exciting coming from a 33-year-old Madonna than from the current 53-year-old version. But I'd rather get it from her than from, say, the importantly self-important Lady Gaga, Madonna's most aggressive acolyte. With Gaga, every anthem is a hashtag. With Madonna, the anthems have actually lasted. At the height of her powers, Madonna wouldn't have been asked to go near the Super Bowl (as Gaga today would never be), but last night was a reminder that she's far from irrelevant.

She knows that she and football have nothing to do with each other, but her show managed to embrace womanliness and flamboyance in a way that didn't affront masculinity. Nothing homosexually gay happened on that stage. But it seemed to liberate people who watch sports both casually and obsessively to observe, with what sounded like a degree of amused catharsis, how gay Madonna's show felt. For a moment, we got a break from "no homo." Still, you wonder whether Elton John, George Michael, or Adam Lambert performing the same show would have produced the same sense of relief — or just panic. That's not Madonna's barrier to break. That's the NFL's.

Madonna's 12 or so minutes didn't feel entirely strange. They felt safe, and in that safety, the show was actually fun. Nearly everyone in the Boston bar where I watched the game was into it, even the big, stressed-out white guy in the Patriots sweatshirt who just knew New England would lose — that guy pointed at one of the 52-inch monitors and mouthed, "Come on. Vogue." As Madonna would put it, that's music. But with her, it's always slightly more than that. We've had almost 30 years of Madonna. And I'd say she's proven as integral to our understanding of self-expression as the Children's Television Workshop.

What a great period, what a great show, what a great coem back.

$ years sicne HC and it has bene worth it every seconds.

madonna is the Queen and yes Queen of everything dear Piers, including lip-sync. She does it and it is superb.

Loved her!

A***

Did anyone post this by that moron Piers Morgan? I almost don't want to give him extra attention

Piers Morgan blasts Madonna's 'gruesome' Super Bowl performance on 'Chelsea Lately'

by Lanford Beard

CNN talk show host Piers Morgan is used to teasing headline-grabbing soundbites out of his guests, but he’s also known to dish out a few himself. He was in rare form last night when he sat down with Chelsea Handler, starting at the top: “Oh my God, [Madonna's] Super Bowl performance — it was like watching your mad drunken aunt at Christmas, wasn’t it?” He questioned the Twitter L-U-V bomb for Madonna, claiming boldly, “She was gruesome!”

Morgan freely admitted, “I don’t like the woman,” then added, “but at least I’ve found that I have one common ground with Madonna: Neither of us have sung live at the Super Bowl.” See what else he had to say about Ms. Ciccone, and why he “quit” America’s Got Talent, after the jump.

What do you think, PopWatchers? Do you think Morgan is being too harsh, or were you in the small camp that didn’t care for Her Madgesty’s halftime performance?

http://popwatch.ew.com/2012/02/07/piers-morgans-blasts-madonna/

has this been posted yet? not sure but i like it!

What’s so funny about a 53-year old woman performing the half-time show? Tom Petty was 57 and Bruce Springsteen was 59 when they did their respective halftime shows. Must be the ‘woman’ part of the equation, huh?”

http://www.forbes.com/sites/lizgarcia/2012/02/06/response-to-madonnas-half-time-show-was-ageist/

amazing article, about time someone brought that up

some great comments too

Did anyone post this by that moron Piers Morgan? I almost don't want to give him extra attention

Piers Morgan blasts Madonna's 'gruesome' Super Bowl performance on 'Chelsea Lately'

by Lanford Beard

CNN talk show host Piers Morgan is used to teasing headline-grabbing soundbites out of his guests, but he’s also known to dish out a few himself. He was in rare form last night when he sat down with Chelsea Handler, starting at the top: “Oh my God, [Madonna's] Super Bowl performance — it was like watching your mad drunken aunt at Christmas, wasn’t it?” He questioned the Twitter L-U-V bomb for Madonna, claiming boldly, “She was gruesome!”

Morgan freely admitted, “I don’t like the woman,” then added, “but at least I’ve found that I have one common ground with Madonna: Neither of us have sung live at the Super Bowl.” See what else he had to say about Ms. Ciccone, and why he “quit” America’s Got Talent, after the jump.

What do you think, PopWatchers? Do you think Morgan is being too harsh, or were you in the small camp that didn’t care for Her Madgesty’s halftime performance?

http://popwatch.ew.com/2012/02/07/piers-morgans-blasts-madonna/

rare form? :lol:

Guest Sinisin

But today, the word online is that she looked great "for 53."

What does it take for female performers to get respect? Mick Jagger can gyrate in a taped performance with Will i. Am, working that old groove of rooster moves he's been defaulting to for 40 years. Madonna headlines the biggest show of the year, and gets "not bad for an ol' girl."

As one Twitter user, sfj, put it:

"A magical thing will (happen) if any 53-year-old man is ever submitted to the same physical critiques as Madonna."

Women age, folks. Get over it.

THIS! :clap:

no you can keep him people in the UK fucking hate the cunt and rightly so.

Agree, although we cant understand how such a cunt got hs own show in the US, but you can keep him. Another reason to hate Simon Cowell for bringing this arsehole back to the mainstream.

I saw an article today that read 'Ridiculous Madonna acts as if 23 at Superbowl performance' :rolleyes:

a friend told me today about a horrible article from het laatste nieuws :electropop: i hope it was that, as i'd hate it if there'd be another article in this boring country dissing her performance. she honestly doesnt deserve the hate she gets here. they're even trashing her for ticket prices (which are in the same amount as those of U2, where one one had a problem with)