Superbowl Reviews

IslandBreeze

KELLY RIPA WAS RAVING ON THE REGIS UH KELLY SHOW this morning!!

STUPID KATHIE LEE AND HODA KOTB...said....the reviews have been mixed....weren't that impressed...etc...etc......FUCK OFF! the reviews have been amazing!

Guest groovyguy

http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/story/2012/02/05/superbowl-madonna.html

Madonna thrills Super Bowl halftime crowd

li-mad-half-620.jpg

Madonna, right, and Cee Lo Green perform during the halftime show of the Super Bowl XLVI football game between the New England Patriots and the New York Giants. (David J. Phillip/Associated Press)

Madonna positioned herself as the queen of a new generation of pop stars at the Super Bowl halftime show — complete with throne — but didn't have complete control of her show.

Guest singer M.I.A. flipped the middle finger to the audience after uttering a barely disguised expletive during a performance of Madonna's new single.

The British rapper was one of two guests who contributed vocals to the bubblegum pop song, Give Me All Your Luvin', along with U.S. rapper Nicki Minaj. Dance rockers LMFAO and singer Cee Lo Green also joined the halftime show.

Madonna seemed like Roman royalty when muscle-bound men carried her extravagant throne across the football field to the stage for her opening song, Vogue.

The singing and dancing on that song was smartly choreographed, as Madonna moved more deliberately but still adroitly in moves that took into account that she's now in her 50s. She briefly appeared to stumble at one point while trying to make a step on the stage set, but recovered in time.

She let a tightrope walker make the more acrobatic moves during a performance of Music. That song was augmented by dance rockers LMFAO, who performed a snippet of Party Rock as Madonna joined them in a brief routine.

Madonna carried gold pompons for a performance of her new single Give Me All Your Luvin'. Twitter was alight with questions about the vocals being lip synched or augmented by tapes, particularly during this song.

At the end of her cameo, rapper M.I.A. appeared to sing "I don't give a [expletive]," although it was hard to hear clearly. Her extension of a middle finger to the audience was clearly visible, though. The camera shot briefly blurred after that, but too late.

The NFL and NBC wasted little time in responding.

"The obscene gesture in the performance was completely inappropriate, very disappointing and we apologize to our fans," said Brian McCarthy, spokesman for the NFL, which produced Madonna's halftime show.

The risqué moment came during the biggest TV event of the year. The screen briefly went blurred after M.I.A.'s gesture in what was a late attempt — by less than a second — to cut out the camera shot.

"The NFL hired the talent and produced the halftime show," NBC spokesman Christopher McCloskey said. "Our system was late to obscure the inappropriate gesture and we apologize to our viewers."

Madonna's best guest was clearly Cee Lo Green, who joined her for the final song, Like a Prayer. They were joined by a robed chorus in the show's most soaring performance.

With a puff of white smoke, Madonna disappeared down a trap door in the stage, and lights on the field spelled out "World Peace."

The veteran star's vocals were not strong throughout, lending to the sense of distance during the spectacle.

Earlier, Kelly Clarkson, Blake Shelton and Miranda Lambert offered some pregame patriotism. Shelton and Lambert did a twangy duet on America the Beautiful and Clarkson, in a simple black dress, sang The Star Spangled Banner.

Guest groovyguy

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/02/06/superbowl-madonna-idUSL2E8D617920120206

UPDATE 1-Madonna dazzles with slick Super Bowl halftime show

Feb 5 (Reuters) - Pop superstar Madonna dazzled football fans and more than 100 million television viewers on Sunday when she performed during a glittery, spectacular Super Bowl halftime show.

Madonna, the first female Super Bowl halftime headliner since the notorious Janet Jackson "wardrobe malfunction" of 2004, was carried, Cleopatra-style, into Indianapolis' Lucas Oil Stadium by a cadre of muscled gladiators.

Wearing Egyptian regalia, complete with headdress, and spiked black boots, the pop superstar launched into her seminal hit "Vogue," with lighting and other visual effects contributed by the Canadian performing troupe Cirque du Soleil.

Next came "Music," which included LMFAO, followed by a cheerleader-themed "Give Me All Your Luvin'," from Madonna's latest CD. Madonna was joined by Nicky Minaj and M.I.A., with the latter proferring a fleeting obscene one-fingered gesture on-camera.

In a nod to the sport whose fans she was entertaining, the Material Girl performed much of her act on, or in front of, bleachers, with high school marching bands and drumlines augmenting the show, which lasted about 10 minutes.

After a mini-medley of her hits "Open Your Heart" and "Express Yourself," Madonna closed her act decked out in a Gospel-goth black gown, performing "Like a Prayer" with Cee Lo Green before dropping out of sight in a puff of smoke.

Madonna was not the only pop superstar to grace the high-profile Super Bowl on Sunday, one of U.S. television's most-watched programs: Kelly Clarkson performed the national anthem.

Last year's Super Bowl attracted 111 million U.S. viewers, the largest for a single TV broadcast in the United States.

The halftime show has increasingly featured high-profile pop acts, a far cry from the first Super Bowl in 1967 when college marching bands entertained the crowd.

Paul McCartney, the Rolling Stones, U2, Prince, Bruce Springsteen, The Black Eyed Peas and Janet Jackson have been among recent performers.

Jackson's 2004 appearance made headlines worldwide with her infamous "wardrobe malfunction," during which fellow performer Justin Timberlake tugged at her costume, exposing her nipple to millions of TV viewers.

Madonna had promised that all efforts were being made to ensure her show would not be marked by a similar episode.

"Great attention to detail has been paid to my wardrobe. There will be no wardrobe malfunction - I promise," she said.

Madonna, who was born in Bay City, Michigan, told reporters last week her appearance was "a Midwesterner girl's dream, to be performing at the Super Bowl halftime show."

"In over 25 years of performing that I've done, I have never worked so hard or been so scrupulous or detail-oriented or freaked out as much as I have." (Editing by Stacey Joyce)

Guest groovyguy

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-16904511

Super Bowl: Madonna gives 'shot of brass'

Madonna gave "a shot of female brass" to the Super Bowl with her 12-minute half-time show, reviewers have said.

Entertainment Weekly said the pop star was "a bright delight", "plugging her product with such gleeful abandon".

The Los Angeles Times said her show was "arguably more outrageous than the notorious Jackson nipple shot" of 2004.

But the New York Times argued she had taken "a downright benign stance" compared with more shocking Madonna performances of years gone by.

_58323944_013926707-2.jpg

The 53-year-old's half-time performance at the Lucas Oil Stadium, in Indianapolis, included hits Vogue, Music, Open Your Heart, Express Yourself and Like a Prayer as well as new song Give Me all Your Luvin', from new album MDNA, due out next month.

She entered the stadium on a chariot, led by dozens of Roman gladiators, wearing a black and gold costume topped with an elaborate crown.

Marching bands, tightrope acrobats, gladiators and choirs - as well as guest stars M.I.A, Nicki Minaj, Cee Lo Green and LMFAO - were among the cast in the spectacular show, watched by more than 100 million TV viewers in the US.

Censors have paid special attention to the half-time entertainment ever since the 2004 Super Bowl performance in Houston, Texas, when Justin Timberlake famously exposed Janet Jackson's breast during a duet.

The only controversial moment this year came when British singer M.I.A. was seen gesturing with her middle finger.

Broadcaster NBC later apologised for the "inappropriate" and "spontaneous gesture".

'True professional'

Meanwhile, Entertainment Weekly's Ken Tucker cited interviews with Madonna last week stating she had no plans to incite controversy.

"But instead of resulting in a cautious, tedious performance, Madonna gave a joyous, unironic, open-hearted one," he added.

"Now the carping will begin in living rooms and throughout the internet: Was she lip-syncing? Did she make a few wobbly moves? Was M.I.A. being a naughty girl?

"Me, I don't care - I was happy to see Madonna smiling so much, giving it her all".

Sarah Fitzmaurice, of the the UK's Daily Mail, said Madonna had previously declared she had to put on "the greatest show on earth, during the greatest show on Earth".

The paper added that she "certainly didn't disappoint".

It said that, under "immense" and greatly-felt" pressure, she had only suffered "one small slip-up throughout the show".

"As she was strutting her way across the bleachers to Music, the second song in her set, she was unable to step up onto one of them and had to repeat the dance move to hoist herself up," it said.

"But Madonna proved a true professional and laughed the error off throwing herself into the next sequence of the set."

The star's mis-step came after she revealed she had pulled a hamstring during rehearsals, requiring "a lot of warm-ups, taping and ultrasound".

_58323788_013926683-1.jpg

The half-time show marks the start of the campaign for Madonna's 12th studio album, MDNA - her first for new record label Interscope

The New York Times' Jon Pareles noted that Madonna was no longer "the indefatigable trouper of years past".

"The bad girl is a grown-up now, like it or not," he added.

"It's impossible to guess what the Madonna of decades past, fascinated with lust, power, religion and transgression, might have done with this platform."

It said that, while the star was "still lithe, she measured her moves, letting her supporting cast offer distractions".

USA Today's Elysa Gardner, meanwhile, described Madonna as "stylish but hardly provocative in tailored tops and skirts that showed off her yoga-toned gams" saying she had delivered flourishes "with a winking sense of humour".

And she suggested that, if the singer "moved a little less nimbly than usual, it might have had to do with a reported pulled hamstring - or gravity-defying heels".

She added that, in Give Me All Your Luvin' - featuring M.I.A and Nicky Minaj - Madonna had "wisely" chosen "not to join the younger stars or an accompanying ensemble in donning cheerleader outfits".

The Chicago Tribune's Greg Kot complained the song, released on Friday "fell flat".

"Rhyming 'ya wanna' with 'Madonna', recasting herself as a cheerleader for a sport that she's barely noticed in decades past - it was the Material Girl who couldn't deliver the goods," he said.

Referring to the lip-syncing, he said Madonna had "never really been about 'live' performance - her concerts are essentially theatrical exhibitions accompanied by piped in music".

Guest groovyguy

Not only does NPR give a great review of the performance but they give an excellent assessment of her enduring legacy. Something alot of fans, non-fans, and disaffected fans should read.

Madonna At Halftime: What It Takes To Last

Thanks SIU! Excellent article.

Madonna is just about the only thing I remember about the Super Bowl last night, and interestingly, it made me think about the fact that she's just about the only thing I remember about Live Aid, which was more than 25 years ago.

Madonna performs for a sold out crowd at the Live Aid concert at JFK Stadium in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, July 13, 1985.

Notwithstanding the specific images that would come to define her — Marilyn Madonna, dominatrix Madonna, Evita Madonna — this was just a young, magnetic singer, clearly not lip-synching, dancing in her heavy, shoulder-padded jacket in front of a crowd that was drenched in sweat. This was July 1985, after "Like A Virgin" colonized MTV, after the underwear-as-outerwear, right before she married Sean Penn. She was already a capital-T Thing, but this was really just singing and dancing, and anyone who comes to think of her as purely an imagined concoction, all elaborate hat and no cattle, someone who never existed outside of videos, is misremembering.

All the other business, from the erotic photography book to the kiss with Britney Spears to the Super Bowl halftime show — that's all what she decided to do with being Madonna after she'd already done it, but it's not how she got to be Madonna, not originally. She got to be Madonna making enormously danceable music and being great to watch. The first video of hers that made an impression on me is surprisingly free of affectation; it's largely a cornball soap opera, just like most of the other videos of the time.

YouTube

If you'd been able to put down money that day in July 1985 on whether she would be playing the Super Bowl halftime show more than 26 years later, and if you'd actually done it, you'd probably be rich now. Her chances for longevity were widely regarded as so slim as to be an available joke. My favorite TV show then was Moonlighting, and I remember an episode they did somewhere around this time about recovering a lost Rolodex full of famous names. In negotiating for its return, David Addison (Bruce Willis) asked for just a few of the cards back if he couldn't have the whole thing. Maybe he could just have the M section, he suggested. Or maybe just Madonna. "Nobody's going to want her number next year anyway," he said.

But here she is, 53 years old, it's four presidents later, and she's still a headliner. Granted, she's a headliner at the halftime show, an event that's shifted more and more toward legacy artists like The Who, Bruce Springsteen, and Tom Petty. It's tempting to attribute the nasty Twitter commentary about how she allegedly looked old and haggard — really? — to unreasonable expectations placed upon women around aging, but honestly, Mick Jagger gets the same thing. The Who got it, Bob Dylan gets it, Tom Petty gets it. It's part and parcel of aging in front of the people who once bounced your work off of their youth to discern its shape and now aren't interested in seeing whatever may be reflected in your not looking exactly like you used to.

What's curious, given how much "ewww, she's too old" stuff went around on Twitter, is that everything she did Sunday night is exactly what it should mean to age gracefully. She did what she loves and what she's always been good at: infectiously danceable pop in high-energy production numbers, assisted by lots of dancers. She looked happy. She embraced younger performers including Nicki Minaj and M.I.A., both of whom share her penchant for self-invention and both of whom are on her new single. She even made judicious choices when picking hits to perform. "Like A Virgin" might be the go-to song when Ricky Gervais wants to make a joke about her at the Golden Globes, but she's right to have relegated it to the background these days in favor of better stuff like "Vogue," which remains an irresistible confection.

Certainly the halftime show, as everyone knew it would, delivered a certain amount of over-the-top nonsense, as has been required of Super Bowl halftime shows stretching back to the days when they used to feature Up With People. (Those shirtless dudes hauling Madonna with ropes may have been silly, but they are no sillier than Indiana Jones And The Vince Lombardi Trophy.) And having the words "WORLD PEACE" appear in lights at the end was probably the only thing she could do that would be sillier than all that had come before.

It's not that Madonna is the embodiment of grace for anyone else. She's done some ridiculous things, and she's picked up such hilarious affectations along the way that you can refer to a vague British accent of unknown origin as "doing a Madonna" and you can expect to be understood. But this version of Madonna, I think, is grace for her.

There was always going to be a Madonna. At 53, alongside those Marilyn and Evita Madonnas. And really, what could it have looked like, other than this? What was she supposed to be at this point? Invisible? Was she supposed to abandon the dance pop to which she so palpably loved shaking her shoulders in a stadium in Philadelphia in 1985 and start singing standards? Would that not have invited a different kind of criticism, that she had gone all cruise-ship on us?

It's awfully hard to endure in public, particularly if your image tends to be big rather than little. It's hard to avoid a series of unwinnable arguments — you've changed too much; you haven't changed enough. You look old; you're trying too hard to look young. You won't accept that you're older; you've lost all the charm of your youth. But more than a quarter-century after she stubbornly danced in that ridiculously heavy jacket in all that jangly jewelry, Madonna seems to have figured out, if nothing else, how not to worry about it.

it was an INCREDIBLE performance, pretty breathtaking for a mere 12 minutes, and the whole world appears to agree. Shes still miles ahead of the rest no other female artist past or present could have come up with and performed that show, not even close.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/06/sports/football/no-longer-an-upset-madonna-acts-her-age.html?_r=1&scp=3&sq=madonna&st=cse

New York Times

Music Review

No Longer an Upset: Madonna Acts Her Age

By JON PARELES

Published: February 6, 2012

The bad girl is a grown-up now, like it or not. Madonna, 53, danced her way back toward worldwide visibility Sunday as the halftime attraction for the Super Bowl, with a giant supporting cast — gladiators, acrobats, cheerleaders, drummers, a gospel choir — and a downright benign stance.

She sang about dancing, music, loving and praying, with a little star power on the side. It’s impossible to guess what the Madonna of decades past, fascinated with lust, power, religion and transgression, might have done with this platform. But it’s probably not something the Super Bowl would have booked in the first place.

Madonna has a new album, “MDNA,” coming out next month, her first since “Hard Candy” in 2008. (In 2007, she signed a 10-year partnership with Live Nation reportedly worth $120 million.) A football-themed video clip for her new single, “Give Me All Your Luvin’,” came out Friday, and the song started blasting across the Clear Channel empire of radio stations and billboards worldwide. More than 14 million people were exposed to the song even before the Super Bowl.

For the worldwide audience of her halftime show, Madonna went all out on spectacle; at the Super Bowl, anything less would be dwarfed. She arrived on the field to sing “Vogue” as a gold-robed queen with a platoon of gladiators, dancing on a giant throne and doing precise, right-angle moves amid acrobats from Cirque du Soleil. “Music” brought her to the top of a bleacher-like set surrounded by more acrobatics; soon, she was assisted in cartwheels that had her head-over-heels. The pop duo LMFAO joined her, interspersing their 2011 hit “Party Rock Anthem” and giving Madonna a chance to deliver the line “I’m sexy and I know it” from another LMFAO song.

As a chorus line of cheerleaders filled the stage, Madonna grabbed golden pompoms for “Give Me All Your Luvin’,” which has a handclapping beat reminiscent of Toni Basil’s 1982 “Mickey.” It’s a heavy-handedly self-promoting song — “L-U-V Madonna, Y-O-U you wanna” — that’s second-tier Madonna at best. Guest raps by Nicki Minaj and M.I.A. didn’t make the song’s retro-rock any fresher. But M.I.A. offered the Super Bowl set’s glimmer of transgression: Her verse included half of a four-letter word while she raised her middle finger.

The drum corps appeared, with the singer Cee Lo Green, to back Madonna and Green for snippets of her “Open Your Heart” and “Express Yourself.” Then came the reverence in “Like a Prayer,” a song that has shed any hint of double-entendre it might have had when it was released in 1989. A black-and-white-robed choir joined Green and Madonna, who had gotten herself into a long dress. The stadium flickered with white lights, Green belted like a soul-gospel singer and Madonna beamed, on and off her knees, until she disappeared in a blast of smoke, singing, “I hear you call my name and it feels like home.”

Madonna wasn’t the indefatigable trouper of years past. Though she’s still lithe, she measured her moves, letting her supporting cast offer distractions. As she climbed into the bleachers during “Music,” she missed a step, though she recovered fast. At the Super Bowl, Madonna was the party girl turned regent: a queen on her throne, a homecoming queen strutting in the bleachers, a church singer fronting a choir. At the end, the words World Peace glowed from the field in giant letters. Madonna was proffering virtue.

Guest groovyguy

http://www.out.com/entertainment/popnography/2012/02/06/what-we-thought-about-madonnas-super-bowl-halftime-show

MadonnaHalftimeLeadRo.png

What We Thought About Madonna's Super Bowl Halftime Show

By Alex Taylor Williams

She came, she saw, she conquered

As Madonna entered the field of last night night’s Super Bowl halftime show on an Egyptian thrown, carried by tons of hot gladiators, dripping in a gold lame Givenchy cape and headpiece, I didn’t know quite what to expect. Would this be another live performance let down? All I imagined following was something way over styled and way overdone. After all, this year so far has been a bit inconsistent with pop performances and Superbowl concerts aren't always winners. I soon realized that Madonna would be taking no prisoners and actually delivered a solid performance.

As soon as she hit the stage, Madonna gave us exactly what we wanted. She still has spunk and obviously still goes to the gym—or, more likely, has the gym come to her. Despite the dubious choice in cohorts, we oohed and aahed as the dudes from LMFAO helped her through a series of cartwheels. Though we did notice her almost take a few spills—still, she moved around like it was 1986 again.

However, her new single, which she performed alongside Nicki Minaj and a middle-finger-wielding M.I.A., seemed to get lost amongst her older songs. Yes, it was great to see such a trio of women rocking out together, but we eagerly awaited what she had in store for us next.

It wouldn't have been a true Madonna performance without some kind of lesson to be learned. Which made for a great rendition of "Like a Prayer" featuring Cee Lo Green. She brought out hundreds of choir members and projected the words “World Peace” across the field. But, following the gospel remix, Madonna abruptly exited the stage through a major trap door of course with lots of smoke and pyrotechnics, as if she fell into a giant trap that cryogenically freezes pop stars.

And that was it. The Giants went on to win the big game and the rest of America went to sleep. All in all a very well done performance for the Material Girl. The stage and effects were beautiful and really put us all on edge for her new album MDNA to drop. Check out the video below.

Guest groovyguy

http://www.wwd.com/media-news/fashion-memopad/vogue-wins-big-with-super-bowl-halftime-show-5616842?src=twitter

Vogue Wins Big With Super Bowl Halftime Show

VOGUE’S SUPER NIGHT: Other than Eli Manning and the Giants, the other big winners on Super Bowl Sunday turned out to be Anna Wintour and Conde Nast.

Madonna began her halftime performance Sunday night with her 1990 hit, “Vogue.” Two minutes into her performance, an overhead camera revealed that her dance floor had turned into a free advertisement for the Conde Nast magazine. Madonna was dancing atop a lit up Vogue logo. Just below her flashed computer-generated panels featuring first the logo and then a series of fashion photos that looked like they came straight from the pages of the magazine. It was hard to miss, but there was one lingering question during the performance: How did the halftime show get the rights to Vogue’s logo?

It turns out this had been coordinated for some time. Madonna’s team contacted Wintour and the magazine in early January. Vogue, which has a longstanding relationship with the pop icon, immediately cooperated and authorized the use of its trademark. There was no charge.

“We’re so very grateful to Madonna to have been part of such a spectacular performance,” Wintour said, not surprisingly — when does a magazine get free publicity in front of 100 million TV viewers? As Wintour said, “We naturally expect a new audience of football fans.”

The executives at 4 Times Square will likely be just as giddy. Over the last two years, Conde Nast has gone on an aggressive initiative to find licensing deals. Just last week, HSN debuted Bon Appetit-branded cookware and appliances, something that just a few years ago would have been unheard of at Conde. Now, with Conde Nast’s newfound ethos in emphasizing the bottom line above all else, HSN deals are sought after and celebrated.

But it will be hard to beat the brief exposure Vogue got Sunday night. Now, no doubt, every magazine out there is trying to figure out how to get its name into a hit song.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/cifamerica/2012/feb/06/madonna-hating-we-superbowl

Madonna acts just like a serious male artist would – and people hate her for it

Madonna-at-the-NFL-Super--007.jpg

Madonna, a picture of military-industrial western masculinity. Photograph: Timothy A Clary/AFP/Getty Images

That article is a great read. she clearly loves Madonna.

In case you missed it: Here's video of M.I.A.'s hand-gesture malfunction at the Super Bowl

Getty Images

by Steven Hyden February 6, 2012

The Super Bowl is an annual tradition where millions of Americans gather around their televisions to watch football, sing-along to love songs dedicated to smart-phones, and occasionally register dismay over "shocking" gestures during the halftime show. Eight years ago, it was the infamous "wardrobe malfunction" with Janet Jackson and Justin Timberlake. Last night, it was the increasingly silly M.I.A. showing off her middle finger during perhaps the gayest halftime entertainment not involving Up With People in Super Bowl history.

If you were too busy eating hot wings or tweeting about why the hell LMFAO got invited to perform with Madonna to notice the naughty protruding digit, you can see it crystal-clear in the photo above. Since there happened to be a TV camera on M.I.A. at the precise moment that the offending bird was set adrift, there likely won't be any sort of subterfuge attempting to explain it away. (Oh wait, nevermind.) It certainly seemed like a calculated maneuver by a once-respected artist now entering her "desperate for attention and, dammit, it worked!" period. The sour note came in what was otherwise an excessively campy and mostly likable extravaganza of over-the-top homo-eroticism and messianic pop-star posturing, culminating with Madonna immolating herself during "Like A Prayer" in the service of world peace. It was like a time capsule of social taboos that have been de-fanged over the past two decades.

NBC and the NFL have already issued apologies about the incident, professing ignorance and distancing themselves from M.I.A.'s actions. If you did miss it, check out the video below.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/in-case-you-missed-it-heres-video-of-mias-handgest,68853/

Most of the criticism I've read doesn't seem sincere. It's either coming from people who already had their negative review ready before even watching the performance, or men who only respect older MALE musicians (usually rock).

Most of the criticism I've read doesn't seem sincere. It's either coming from people who already had their negative review ready before even watching the performance, or men who only respect older MALE musicians (usually rock).

The only criticism I've read has been about the lipsynching and frankly, it boggles the mind that people don't understand it wasn't THAT KIND OF SHOW.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/cifamerica/2012/feb/06/madonna-hating-we-superbowl

Madonna acts just like a serious male artist would – and people hate her for it

Madonna-at-the-NFL-Super--007.jpg

Madonna, a picture of military-industrial western masculinity. Photograph: Timothy A Clary/AFP/Getty Images

Even the dreadful Guardian is on her side now :lmao:

She doesn't parade her vulnerabilities; she does not play the victim. She is not continually letting us in to the details of some battle with bulimia or weight problems or health problems or drug abuse, or the way her heart always seems to get broken (fill in likeable talented/wealthy/successful actress, musician, etc here). Nor does she complain about how hard it is to juggle work and family, or let us into photo shoots where we see the banal and recognizable rituals of grocery shopping or ferrying kids, so that we can know reassuringly that she is JUST LIKE US (fill in likeable female politician/news anchor here).

^ One of my absolute favorite qualities about Madonna. :dramatic:

You are absolutely right. And the worst are the people leaving disgusting comments in the comments section of articles published. Positive articles. The negativity there is truly awful and I think comments sections in newspaper sites should be really closed. As much as I understand that editors want some kind of interaction with their readers it appears the idea of people leaving comments is ill-conceived. Most of the time there is no discussion about the story, it's always people yelling at each other. Just think of a situation like this in real life. It's insane. If the idea that Satan will rise nurtured by negativity, all he has to do is to go on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube. He will rise in a minute.

Yep I noticed that too, and why should they compare her to the old rock guys? stupid. Some of these rock people i notice are with lady gaga.