Superbowl Reviews

IslandBreeze

Guest groovyguy

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/02/05/sport/super-bowl-xlvi/?hpt=hp_c1

Giants edge Patriots in thriller; it was Madonna dance party at half

...Halftime entertainer Madonna had an eclectic set, joined by Cee Lo Green, Nicki Minaj and MIA.

Madonna morphed from a Roman Empire theme to a high school cheerleader, complete with pom poms and a marching band. She sang "Vogue", "Music," "Like a Prayer" and "Give Me All Your Luvin."

The Material Girl's performance ended with a bright flash of flight, and white smoke -- with her not to be seen.

Below is what made this performance unique:

Entertainment Weekly critic Ken Tucker agreed, calling Madonna's performance "joyous, unironic, open-hearted ... She was both in full command and full of generosity towards her massive audience."

She was appropriate and giving and user-friendly...which is rare.

A review from the always lovely B. Scott :lol:

http://lovebscott.com/madonna-delivers-impressive-super-bowl-halftime-performance/

Madonna Delivers Impressive Super Bowl Halftime Performance

1592659-madonna-super-bowl-13-617-409-e1328504306824.jpeg

Madonna’s Super Bowl XLVI halftime performance marked another legendary moment in the iconic singer’s career. Performing in front of an estimated 110 million people, Madonna showed off her prowess as she effortlessly took to the stage for three of her biggest hits and the first ever live performance of her new single, “Give Me All Your Luvin’”.

Entering the stage on a huge golden throne, Madonna wasted no time letting us know that she is still in fact the Queen of Pop! Accompanied by backup dancers, an illuminated state-of-the-art digital stage, and bit of help from Cee-Lo, Nicki Minaj, LMFAO, and M.I.A. (and her middle finger), Madonna gave stellar performances of “Vogue”, “Music”, “Give Me All Your Luvin’”, and “Like A Prayer”.

At 53 years old, you would think that Madonna would begin to show signs of slowing down, but her halftime show tonight easily rivaled (and even outperformed) some of her much younger peers. Over the last 30 years, Madonna has exhausted her artistry — and I don’t mean that in a bad way. After countless re-inventions, she has continued to shape the pop female landscape and at this point. There really isn’t anything left that she hasn’t already done. Madonna is here to do exactly what she’s been doing in a way that only she can do it…and that’s make great pop music and entertain audiences.

Some of my love muffins were expecting Madonna to really push the envelope during the show, but what you need to realize that Madonna IS the envelope.

Guest Topaz Scorpio

However, there seemed to be a disagreement between Sharon Osbourne and Piers Morgan. Osbourne wrote, "Madonna is back! She's the queen. Just sensational!"

To that, Morgan responded: "Queen of what? Lip-synching?"

He is such a miserable cunt.

The show was FAB and anyone could hardly say anything bad about it (except that cunt Piers Morgan).

I seriously doubt Madge was offended by MIA's bird flipping.

I'm glad that most of the media like GMAYL. Let's hope the airplay & sales will go up!

Finger crossed!

The Daily Mail have a stack load of pictures (some amazing ones from a distance) and they normally hate her!

* Forced to repeat a dance move to hoist herself up on one of the bleachers

* M.I.A. flips the middle finger and curses into the camera during joint performance

* The New York Giants triumphed over the New England Patriots 21-17

She declared she had to put on 'the greatest show on earth, during the greatest show on Earth' and Madonna certainly didn't disappoint.

The singer, 53, put on an impressive performance during the halftime show of the NFL Super Bowl XLVI football game between the New York Giants and the New England Patriots.

There was just one small slip-up onstage where the singing legend was strutting her way across the bleachers to Music, the second song in her set, and was unable to step up onto one of them and had to repeat the dance move to hoist herself up.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2097020/Super-Bowl-2012-Madonna-suffers-small-slip-spectacular-halftime-show.html#ixzz1lbFQ6I1E

Did Madonna put on the greatest show on Earth? Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2097020/Super-Bowl-2012-Madonna-suffers-small-slip-spectacular-halftime-show.html#ixzz1lbFK6ZXb

The Sun

The Material Girl turned pharaoh for the 12-minute set, arriving on a huge gold throne with a gold cloak wrapped around her.

She had clearly resisted the urge to shock with outrageous outfits, shedding the cloak to reveal a stylish high-necked black dress, with ancient Egyptian-style belt and long black gloves.

Despite the fishnet stockings and thigh-high boots, she avoided the risk of a Janet Jackson-style wardrobe malfunction and displayed very little flesh.

But she managed to show off her toned legs during an athletic cartwheel with a male dancer.

Madonna bowls them over at Super Bowl

The Mirror

If you thought 50-something ladies spend Sunday nights knitting and getting into bed early with an electric blanket (oh that sounds nice - just us?), Madonna's got some news for you. She spent her Sunday night (well not technically, she was on US time) in thigh high boots, being flipped upside down by hot dancers and performing a medley of her hits at the Super Bowl in the US. Well of course she did - she's Madonna.

Read more: http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/news/2012/02/06/madonna-steals-the-show-in-thigh-high-boots-at-super-bowl-in-the-us-115875-23737978/#ixzz1lbGUpT1N

Madonna steals the show in thigh high boots at Super Bowl in the US Read more: http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/news/2012/02/06/madonna-steals-the-show-in-thigh-high-boots-at-super-bowl-in-the-us-115875-23737978/#ixzz1lbGOiX7K

Guest groovyguy

http://blogs.ocweekly.com/heardmentality/2012/02/madonnas_halftime_show_the_bes.php

Madonna's Halftime Show The Best Ever: Five Reasons Why

madonna-superbowl.jpg

Maybe you're the one person in the world who didn't like Madonna's gladiator-inspired, star-studded halftime show at Superbowl XLVI. Let me convince you otherwise.

1. Her Madgesty performed old hits that reminded every one she was Madonna: From "Vogue," to "Music" to "Like a Prayer," she took us back to a time when we worshipped everything she did, with her song choices, elaborate costumes and just how fit she was. Everyone remarked that she looked amazing and could do crazy gymnastics for a 53-year-old, but even that stumble on the bleachers was endearing--hey, Madonna's human too!

2. M.I.A. flipped people off and almost said shit, but in such a sneaky way NBC couldn't censor it in time. Hooray for little acts of anarchy! It also reminded us that this four-minute bit of sickness had just came out:

3. Madonna not only shuffled better than LMFAO, she also did cartwheels on the bleachers.

4. CeeLo Green haters can now give him a pass. I'm not crazy (heh) about CeeLo Green, but his "Like a Prayer" duet with Madonna was perfection.

5. It was everything a halftime show should be. A star-studded, riveting performance you couldn't take your eyes off, with fancy special effects and eye candy up the yin-yang, it made us forget that a football game was even going on. Awww, yeah. (Lady Gaga who?)

Guest groovyguy

http://www.mlive.com/tv/index.ssf/2012/02/just_like_a_prayer_madonna_ele.html

Just 'Like A Prayer' -- Madonna electrifies Super Bowl XLVI halftime show

Roman soldiers, cheerleaders with pom-poms, a gospel choir and more -- Madonna's halftime performance set a new expectation for football concerts after the second quarter of Super Bowl XLVI in Indianapolis.

The 53-year-old singer emerged from the stadium tunnel as a Roman goddess clad in black-and-gold, carried by an army of male dancers toting fans and trumpets. A remix of Madonna's "Vogue," complete with the dance movements that the singer helped make famous in the '90s, was one of Super Bowl's most decadent performances.

The singer performed with the Cirque du Soleil, whose breakdancers and man-on-tightrope dancers helped liven up her performance of "Music." Teen sensations LMFAO mixed the strains of their "Party Rock Anthem" with her own tune, creating a unique-for-Indianapolis musical mash-up.

Rappers M.I.A. and Nicki Minaj emerged with dozens of red-skirted dancers, whose robotically-precise choreography livened up Madonna's new single, "Give Me All Your Luvin." The rap solos suited each guest star's personality: Nicki Minaj's verse was performed almost comically-fast, a breakneck performance delivered in a low, chesty voice. Indie darling M.I.A. tossed off her sultry, smooth lines before flipping off the crowd with typical insouciance. It was no Janet Jackson, but the cameras weren't quick enough to blur that out.

It didn't seem like Madonna could deliver more. But she did, bringing R&B singer Cee-Lo Green on stage, along with a 50-man gospel choir clad in black robes, for an authentically sung performance of "Like A Prayer." Once Madonna's most controversial song, the 53-year-old singer made this rendition -- and this show -- an instant, eternal dance classic for her audience of 100 million fans. It's also, out of the entire set, the only song we're positive she actually sang. Madge disappeared as abruptly as she began -- lost in an explosion of pyrotechnics, leaving a million glittering lights spelling out "World Peace" in gold, fading off into the darkness of the field.

MLive.com's Philip Zaroo was live in Indianapolis to witness the show. He said, "Madonna killed the halftime show, starting with a classic, in Vogue, and closing out with an amazing rendition of "Like a Prayer." I'm not sure what critics were expecting, but I hope I'm able to move like that when I'm 53! She even got the spectators involved. Everyone got LED lights on their seats which they flashed during Like a Prayer. The stage was a gaudy spectacle, as you'd expect, but it was pure Madonna: Roman soldiers, chariots, lots of lights and a little pyrotechnics thrown in at the end."

Guest groovyguy

http://top40.about.com/b/2012/02/05/madonna-triumphs-at-the-super-bowl.htm

Madonna Triumphs At the Super Bowl

There were a few minor glitches here and there and some slight controversy about whether M.I.A. flashed a gesture, but in sum total Madonna's powerful Super Bowl halftime medley of hits will rank with the best halftime shows. Her performance did not disappoint.

Madonna kicked off the 12 minute extravaganza with eye-filling spectacle being pulled on to the field by a team of muscular gladiators to perform "Vogue." She was joined by acrobatic dancers for the hit "Music" before an interlude with LMFAO for segments of their #1 smash hits "Party Rock Anthem" and "Sexy and I Know It." Cheerleaders with gold pom poms framed the performance of Madonna's new single "Give Me All Your Luvin'" and guests Nicki Minaj and M.I.A.. It was during this segment some believed M.I.A. flipped off the camera, but if it did occur, it was very brief. The closing segment reminded us all of the majesty of some of Madonna's most timeless songs when she was joined by a marching band, Cee Lo Green, and ultimately a gospel choir for a medley of "Open Your Heart," "Express Yourself," and "Like a Prayer." Finally, as Madonna disappeared in a puff of smoke the football glowed with lights spelling out "World Peace."

The fact that there seemed a few glitches and a few near stumbles mostly just made the whole Super Bowl performance a bit more human and at times intimate. Madonna clearly knows how to put on a show and please her audience. She even managed to weave football themes into the mix. This was a Super Bowl halftime show to remember.

Guest groovyguy

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/world/madonna-kelly-clarkson-the-crowd-pleasers-at-superbowl/story-e6frg6so-1226263736561

Madonna a crowd-pleaser at Super Bowl

THE much-anticipated half-time show at the Super Bowl featured Madonna but no wardrobe malfunctions.

While Madonna's career has successfully spanned a couple of generations, her much-anticipated Super Bowl half-time show jumped across a couple of millennia.

The 53-year-old pop queen was treated as such when the show kicked off - being towed into the stadium on an extravagant Egyptian-themed float by buff Roman-looking soldiers.

Of course, Madonna was the float's centrepiece.

Breaking into her worldwide hit Vogue, Madonna and her backup dancers danced like Egyptians while images of the pop princess were beamed on the stage's foreground.

As the track mixed into Music, the backup dancers changed and the routine jumped more than 2,000 years forward to the 21st century - with electro pop duo LMFAO joining Madonna on stage as the music again jumped forward.

After a quick mash-up of LMFAO's Party Rock Anthem, Nicki Minaj and MIA - dressed in red and white cheerleader outfits - joined Madonna on stage at Lucas Oil Stadium for her new song Give Me All Your Luvin.

For the finale, Cee Lo Green joined Madonna as she pushed into a version of Like a Prayer, backed by a full adult choir.

And then she was gone - literally disappearing in a cloud of smoke.

While it will be debated for days to come whether the pop superstar lip-synced her way through any of her songs, show organisers will undoubtedly be happy she got through the performance without a "wardrobe malfunction".

Before the game, pop star Kelly Clarkson received high praise for her rousing rendition of The Star-Spangled Banner.

All eyes were on the original American Idol winner, after Christina Aguilera flubbed the lyrics ahead of last year's Super Bowl, while Aerosmith frontman Steven Tyler was accused of butchering the anthem before the AFC Championship game in Massachusetts last month.

Clarkson, however, managed to avoid any embarrassing gaffes.

Guest groovyguy

http://www.spin.com/articles/madonna-executes-royal-super-bowl-spectacle-xlvi-halftime-show

Madonna Executes a Royal Super Bowl Spectacle for XLVI Halftime Show

120205-madonna-super-bowl.png

On 2008's Hard Candy Madonna sang about having "four minutes to save the world." At Super Bowl XLVI she had 12 to do the near impossible: entertain an audience of skeptical football fans, media critics, and bathroom-breakers during the country's most-watched television event while also promoting herself and her upcoming album, M.D.N.A. The possible pitfalls, to name a few — go too sexy and be accused of mimicking Nipplegate; play it too safe and risk being told she's too old for the game; sing only classic songs and be called a heritage act; sing too many new songs and risk alienating the fans who fell in love with her music two decades ago.

So the Queen of Pop executed the performance as though it was one of her highly choreographed tours. She hired the tech whizzes at Moment Factory to construct a huge stage covered in screens (no blinking letters like last year's Black Eyed Peas debacle, and no fans awkwardly waving their arms in front of her face). She brought along her core crew of gifted dancers and collaborated with Cirque du Soleil. She found clever ways to connect five of her biggest hits into a medley that also included her new single "Give Me All Your Luvin'." She probably didn't please everyone, but she put on an impeccably produced show up to her own strict standards. It was an extremely entertaining pop spectacle on a massive scale.

The performance kicked off with a "Vogue" remix that visually recalled Madonna's two most recent tours, with the star on a throne (a nod to her Sticky & Sweet Tour opening) flanked by a battalion of marching gladiators (a reference to the advancing dancers at the top of her Confessions Tour). Echos of "move to the music" melded into the beginnings of her Music single "Music" as the stage transformed into a vibrant boombox and her dancers twisted themselves down a set of bleachers, assisting the 53-year-old singer with a series of cartwheels. A tightrope walker bounced on a wire as LMFAO arrived and "Music" began to mingle with their own "Party Rock Anthem." Madonna strutted at the top of the stage to one of last year's biggest hits, and contorted her chiseled body to the "Sexy and I Know It" lyric "I work out!" (Yes, we all know!)

Nicki Minaj and M.I.A. hit the stage next in full cheerleader regalia to assist on "Give Me All Your Luvin'," and while Minaj got the bigger cheers for her (almost certainly lip-synched) motormouth verse, M.I.A. took the bigger chance, flipping the bird on her final line. Compared to Madonna's history of boundary-pushing, however, the gesture seemed tame.

Madonna then began singing the chorus of "Open Your Heart" a cappella over the rat-a-tat of an arriving drumline, and Cee Lo Green joined her for a bit of "Express Yourself." The soul god's real purpose, however, was to provide the gospel heart beneath "Like a Prayer," which of course featured a massive robed choir. As the song reached its final peak, Madonna vanished into a poof of smoke and the words "World Peace" were digitally scrawled across the floor. Was it audacious to try to connect the prior 12 minutes' entertainment to international politics? Of course. But as marketing gimmick or genuine sentiment, "Music" does make the people come together.

Guest groovyguy

http://kansascity.sbnation.com/2012/2/5/2774283/madonna-makes-super-bowl-halftime-show-one-of-best-appearances-in

Madonna Makes Super Bowl Halftime Show One Of Best Appearances In Years

Feb 05 9:50p by Matt Conner

While opinion is obviously subjective and Madonna is going to have her detractors, even among some in our SB Nation network, It’s our take that Madonna put on one of the finest Super Bowl halftime shows in recent years — at least since U2 put some heart into the game with the 9/11 tribute.

While Madonna is definitely an older performer whose best days (and hits) are behind her, that’s the case every year besides the mess known as the Black Eyed Peas. Fergie and company were the worst Super Bowl halftime show possibly ever, so anything is a step up there. And Madonna’s provided at least a nice spectacle when watching someone older.

The reality is that Madonna’s crew put on a great show with decent showings of newer artists around her that never detracted from the main performer. In fact, they were likely underused. But this was Madonna’s show and she did well with it.

The stage was perfect and provided her dancers alongside her the chance to create a modern spectacle out of songs that have become iconic. From “Vogue” to “Like a Prayer,” the show flowed with unbelievable graphics all around and a strong stage presence that never went over the top while also never getting overrun by the sheer size of it all.

While it might not have been for everyone, it provided the perfect blend of entertainment for everyone while not becoming over the top like Janet or Prince and also didn’t bore like watching old rockers try to look young again like the Stones or The Who. Springsteen could perhaps stand along with Madonna as one of the best in recent years, but Madonna did just fine. Some have forgotten too easily how bad recent Super Bowls have been.

Guest groovyguy

http://www.sawfnews.com/Entertainment/68291.aspx

February 06, 2012, (Sawf News) - Madonna reiterated her credentials as an entertainment powerhouse taking the stage during half-time at the Bridgestone Super Bowl XLVI at Lucas Oil Stadium on Sunday, February 5 in Indianapolis, Indiana.

The 53-year-old entertainer wowed viewers with elaborate stage settings and jaw dropping choreography, performing hits including Vogue, Music, Party Rock Anthem/Sexy and I Know It, Give Me All Your Luvin, and Like a Prayer!

She opened her performance with Vogue, after arriving on stage dressed as a queen wearing a diamond-studded gold crown, sitting atop a giant throne pulled by backup dancers dressed as gladiators.

She followed up with the 2000 dance jam Music.

LMFAO – Stefan (Redfoo) and Skyler (SkyBlu) Gordy - joined her on stage to sing their hits Party Rock Anthem and Sexy and I Know It.

Madonna performed Give Me All Your Luvin with Nicki Minaj and M.I.A.!

She ended her 12-min show with her 1989 hit Like a Prayer, alongside Cee Lo Green.

Madonna's set drew a lot of praise from celebrities.

Kim Kardashian tweeted: "Madonna is EVERYTHING! She looks soooo good!"

Ryan Seacrest said, "Loved the madonna performance, i think she nailed it. Great job by @LMFAO, @NickiMinaj, @CeeloGreen too"

I think it's safe to say that the press ABSOLUTELY LOVED the show! :thumbsup:

They certainly did.I keep coming across one great review after another.The only people who are criticizing her performance are the *stans* of other artists :lol:

Madonna’s Super Bowl show deconstructed

Madonna used the Super Bowl half time entertainment slot to shamelessly promote her return to the pop front line writes Neil McCormick.

It was a tribute to Madonna, conceived by Madonna, staged by Madonna and starring Madonna. Seizing the attention of the estimated 111 million viewers who tuned in to watch America’s most popular sporting event, the 53-year-old superstar used the Super Bowl half time entertainment slot to shamelessly promote her return to the pop front line. She may have been mercilessly hammered by critics for her first foray into film direction with the pretentious W.E. (“Madonna’s skill with the camera seems to extend to her being able to turn it on” according to the one star Telegraph review) but she was on safer all-singing and dancing ground here. Well, all miming and dancing anyway. Her performance covered the bases: a ten minute extravaganza in which she charged through five classic hits (Vogue, Music, Open Your Heart, Express Yourself and Like A Prayer) and promoted her new single (Gimme All Your Luvin) while acrobatic dancers, a military band, a gospel choir and contemporary pop stars paid homage to the star, who appeared in the guise of queen, cheerleader, warrior and high-priestess. So what was it all about?

1. The role of Queen is self evident. Madonna was carried aloft onto the stage in a regal throne, in a style somewhere between sexy Egyptian empress and Bodicean warrior queen. The emphasis is on ancient power and tradition, Madonna the regal, returning to claim what is hers by divine right. The past decade has seen a host of challengers arrive, young women like Beyoncé, Lady Gaga, Rihanna who are ready to take her crown but Madonna’s pre-eminent status as the reigning Queen of Pop was emphasised by her majestic arrival, to the roar of the big guns of her mega hits.

2. The cheerleader is an almost contradictory role for a woman of power, but it reflected not just a strategic choice to choreograph a routine in keeping with the American football setting, but to emphasise her immortal youthful eroticism, the sexual magnetism displayed with acrobatic skills. She is competing in a youth fixated medium in which it is important for her to demonstrate that she’s still “got it”. But she wasn’t just any cheerleader, she was the head cheerleader, supported not just by her dancing retinue but by two of the most provocative and controversial young female stars of the moment, rappers Niki Minaj and MIA. Madonna has always been good at subordinating the competition: think of her vampirish lesbian kiss routine with the young Britney Spears. The appearance of contemporary pop stars gives her commercial traction with younger audience, whilst their subordinate roles emphasise her eminence. Minaj and MIA were part of a chorus chanting “L-U-V Madonna” on her self-glorifying new single Give Me All Your Luvin. If they pay her homage, then so should their fans. Think of them as substitutes for Lady Gaga, who appeared with Madonna on the US comedy show Saturday Night Live, but got into a mock catfight with her, which suggest far less compliance. The LMFAO male DJ team who carried Madonna aloft served the same function. They are representatives of the techno-party-pop genre that is currently big in America, conferring some of their rebellious cool on her, whilst also giving an opportunity to paraphrase their biggest hit, crowing “I’m sexy and I know it.”

3. The Warrior. In possibly the most kinetically effective sequence in the show, Madonna performed to the martial drums of a military brand, offering up two short blasts of her hits, Open Your Heart and Express Yourself (the latter a song Lady Gaga has been widely accused of plagiarising for her hit Born This Way. It was a clear declaration of battling intent: she is not giving up this crown without a fight.

4. The High Priestess: the set ended with a big gospel choir production of Like A Prayer. Here Madonna finally covered up her legs, donning a quasi-religious gown and singing (or more likely miming, since she is shameless in her employment of lip-synching) her hymn to self in her best Broadway showtune voice. Cee Lo Green was on hand in monkish robes to actually offer some vocal pyrotechnics, ending the set with a big soulful blowout, another contemporary star worshipping at her altar. Madonna departed the stage in a blast of smoke and explosions, her voice lingering and the words WORLD PEACE appearing, a near messianic message in keeping with her over-the-top performance. Madonna certainly wants to send a message to the world, but the message is that she is back in business. I suspect she’d settle for a global number one over global harmony.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/madonna/9063810/Madonnas-Super-Bowl-show-deconstructed.html

Guest groovyguy

http://www.stylelist.com/2012/02/05/madonna-super-bowl-halftime-show_n_1256344.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000003#s665131

Madonna Halftime Show: Super Bowl Performance Glitters In Gold

Madonna did not disappoint.

The 53-year-old legend took the biggest stage in the world, the 2012 Super Bowl Halftime Show, and brought the house down. She dressed to impress, sporting a gold headdress, black thigh-high boots, a youthful pleated miniskirt, a black sequined robe and gold cheerleader pom-poms (not all at once, of course).

We died, obviously, to see that the opening number was "Vogue," featuring dozens of Vogue covers lit up across the stage.

Appropriately, Madonna didn't skimp on the high fashion, trotting around the multi-level stage in Givenchy Couture and Bulgari with little helpers M.I.A. and Nicki Minaj wearing Erickson Beamon headpieces. Her black liquid eyeliner looks flawless and her blond waves were perfectly in place.

But despite the expensive threads, Madonna was her old self: turning cartwheels, showing off her bejeweled panties, writhing on the ground before Cee-Lo Green (in head-to-toe black sequins, natch) and making us all forget there was even a football game in session.

Girl's still got it.

Any bad reviews? It was all praise? I'm proud of her! I wonder if she will be the cover of some major magazines or newspapapers!

Any newspapers front pages yet?