Madonna Super Bowl thread

Starman

22 years later and Vogue is still selling!!!! :thumbsup::clap:

screams of excitement is evident when they heard VOGUE...

I wonder what songs of today (2009-2011) could still generate such excitement by 2030!

I know some of us would like to think that SOMETHING was sung live, but I've watched the performance three times now, and LAP was absolutely, positively NOT sung live. We've heard her sing this song live plenty of times, and under more favorable conditions (live in a studio for the telethon with a sound check and no live audience, on tour where she's most comfortable), and this vocal was WAY too good to be live. I'm not even convinced that Cee Lo was live. It all looked lipped to me. If you're unsure just look the first chorus when she's whipping her head around. There's zero variation in her tone, pitch or volume, which is just impossible with the way she's moving. 10:45 is also a telling moment. If the general public thinks it was live, then mission accomplished and good for her.

Overall I thought the performances were really strong. That entrance was EPIC. I thought all of "Vogue" was really cool. She's the queen. "Music" was just okay, and GMAYL had no business being performed alongside those classics. But she looked fantastic.

Edited by vocalism

Guest bluejean

TBQH the general public typically forgets about the particulars of ANY Superbowl performance damn near by the next day.

Yes and in some cases they FORGET the half time performer entirely forever

I know some of us would like to think that SOMETHING was sung live, but I've watched the performance three times now, and LAP was absolutely, positively NOT sung live. We've heard her sing this song live plenty of times, and under more favorable conditions (live in a studio for the telethon with a sound check and no live audience, on tour where she's most comfortable), and this vocal was WAY too good to be live. I'm not even convinced that Cee Lo was live. It all looked lipped to me. If you're unsure just look the first chorus when she's whipping her head around. There's zero variation in her tone, pitch or volume, which is just impossible with the way she's moving. 10:45 is also a telling moment. If the general public thinks it was live, then mission accomplished and good for her.

Nothing was live , its a huge TV show spectacle , but she convinced the general public in LAP

Guest bluejean

Agree 100%. Cee Lo was lipped also. You can tell on certain words that don't match up with Madonna. And the overall sound lacks the crow strain of Haiti or Live 8. Vogue is probably the Reinvention vocals. I actually thought it was obvious but if her hardcore fans can't tell then the general public will be oblivious.

You bitches will never admit Janet's performance, aside from the titty popping out, was on point! :lol:

If twitter was around then, people would be on twitter tweeting about how great Janet was as well, so that post means NOTHING to me once again lol.

there was YOUTUBE and the comments were awesome. A truly embarrasing moment. :lmao:

Madonna rides in like Cleopatra to wow Super Bowl crowd with classy, high-flying halftime show

It made up for its lack of sex-queen stunts with sheer fun, dazzle and, most of all, wit

Madonna sidelined sex in favor of spectacle at her Super Bowl half-time show. Her 12-minute set proved chaste and careful by her younger standards - no hint of nipple-gate, not a whiff of the calculated religious provocations of her live shows. But it made up for its lack of shock-queen stunts with sheer fun, dazzle and, most of all, wit.

Surely no half-time act in the history of the Super Bowl has had the moxie , or cheek, to open with an army of dancers — dolled up like gladiators from some kitschy sword and sandal epic — parading around before a Romanesque queen (our Maddy) done up in gold. Not since Liz Taylor appeared in "Cleopatra" has pop culture seen so large-scale a spectacle of camp. That in itself gave Madonna's half time show a subtle underlay of subversion.

She bold-faced it to those in the know it by opening with "Vogue," a song whose inspiration derives wholly from a once deeply closeted, gay black movement founded in Harlem. The zest and humor of the show only escalated with a re-mixed version of "Music," which featured the cartoon-worthy guys from LMFAO mugging through their usual mock-sexy moves.

Madonna upped the animated quality of the event - and deepened her opportunistic connection to current youth culture - by featuring on her new single ("Give Me All Your Luvin'") the sight gag of the moment: Nicki Minaj. Her staccato rap, and bombshell figure, added to the sense of the surreal. While another guest rapper M.I.A. got lost in the mix — despite apparently flashing the finger — the song's bubble gum snap held center stage regardless. Like the song's video, the staging of it featured pom-pom pounding cheerleaders — , in the process swiftly reminding all those football fans who may have momentarily forgotten exactly where they were.

For a third, zany guest, Madonna brought the physically improbable Cee Lo Green to shimmy through "Open Your Heart" (enlivened by a quote from "Express Yourself").

Several vibrant drum lines doubled-up the rhythm. To make sure no one mistook Madonna's accent on the ridiculous for a flip take on the event itself, the star ended the show, all lady-like, with her mock-gospel "Like A Prayer." It featured Cee-Lo hitting the high notes, the star in reverent black and a final, incoherent message promoting "World Peace."

Madonna-phobes will no doubt carp that, in all likelihood, she lip-synched. Certainly it looked that way. But in a show that's about flash and winks, who cares? She most definitely delivered on the surprise and joy she promised. And so - most assuredly not for the first time in her life - Madonna scored.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/television/madonna-rides-cleopatra-wow-super-bowl-crowd-classy-high-flying-halftime-show-article-1.1017646#ixzz1lZkMruno

Guest bluejean

You bitches will never admit Janet's performance, aside from the titty popping out, was on point! :lol:

If twitter was around then, people would be on twitter tweeting about how great Janet was as well, so that post means NOTHING to me once again lol.

I'm happy to admit it was a decent performance, infact, I was a Janet fan up until 2004 when her career ended.

However her outfit was terrible, her hair was terrible and her tit was terrible. If twitter existed ALL the tweeting would be about her tit flopping out and people reacting in pure DISGUST. And to say it was better than Madonna or MJ's performance is a JOKE. It some good elements but apart from that drooping breast it lacked spectacle compared to what we've just witnessed. Without the tit it would be pretty forgettable. Pure delusion on your part. End.

I recently re-watched the Janet performance. I love "Rhythm Nation," so it was great to see that. And what else did she do? "All for You"? That was okay. And the Justin duet was fine - aside from the bizarre nip slip, which to me still looked intentional and just...weird. It was a fine performance overall, but Madonna was far better and more memorable (aside from the nipple of course).

I don't think it really damaged her career very much. The way it was handled was a PR disaster, but it was the album that really did her in. Quality music will always trump scandal. Look at Madonna herself. After Erotica and Sex, she came bounced back with "I'll Remember" and Bedtime Stories. After AL, she bounced back with COADF. Janet's music has just declined significantly since The Velvet Rope (although Discipline was decent, especially "Feedback" - but it was probably too late for a comeback by then).

Guest Topaz Scorpio

Fantastic performance! :wow:

Everything worked so well. The stage was amazing. She actually made LMFAO and their annoying songs fun. And even though I'm not a fan of GMAYL I have to say it really came together in this setting on that stage.

I caught my breath for a few seconds when she had that wobble during "Music" but she stuck it out. Vogue looked so cool with the floor screens. And Like A Prayer was just awesome with the choir and all the twinkling lights in the stadium behind her. CeeLo was okay but still doesn't match to Nikki's original.

Loved her exit, even though it was very wicked witch of the west. :lol:

And yes, the entrance was very Kylie Les Folies-esque (the hunks pulling the chariot with the fans was like her "I Believe In You" segment), but it was still different and done on a much BIGGER scale. I think it's kind of cute that the two of them seem to reference back and forth to each other in their performances over the past few years.

And what's with the whole lipsync-gate here? It is known that Super Bowl performers always lip. Why is she being bashed for it?

Overall, kudos to M. She totally accomplished what she set out to do and should be proud. :clap: