Seriously...after all this hoopla... GMAYL should make #1! Elites agree¿?

Candylipsgirl

Guest bluejean

Australian radio is ignoring it so far :( I've yet to hear it once...any other Aussies hear it over the weekend? Chart commentators are already expressing surprise that it's not doing better here :(

Yes and its not doing very well on the iTunes chart, although I imagine that's something to do with the preorders not counting for the single. It would be a shame to see Madonna have yet another flop in Oz.

Trust me - Billboard counts downloads bought as part of the pre-sale towards the Hot 100. I have no idea about other countries, though, but as I said earlier, it makes sense that GMAYL copies bought as part of the pre-sale should count towards the charts. The track has been paid for - it's not free. Does anyone know whether Coldplay's "Paradise" came with the album cover in the UK orr whether, as is the case with GMAYL, it came with its own separate single cover? How much were people charged instantly when they purchased the album?

I don't know about covers and how much people were charged but...''According to Coldplay's official website, the single was not initially chart eligible in the United Kingdom, because it was available on iTunes as an "instant grat" (immediate download) when pre-ordering the album.''.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradise_%28Coldplay_song%29

I don't know about covers and how much people were charged but...''According to Coldplay's official website, the single was not initially chart eligible in the United Kingdom, because it was available on iTunes as an "instant grat" (immediate download) when pre-ordering the album.''.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradise_%28Coldplay_song%29

That needs to be explored further, because if people weren't charged anything when they pre-ordered the album, then "Paradise" would, indeed, have been a free download (and, therefore, ineligible to chart). It would be very odd if The Chart Company refused to count sales of a track that people had been charged for. Interscope could argue that the single was a proper paid download, with the album itself discounted as an incentive to buy the single.

Guest bluejean

That needs to be explored further, because if people weren't charged anything when they pre-ordered the album, then "Paradise" would, indeed, have been a free download (and, therefore, ineligible to chart). It would be very odd if The Chart Company refused to count sales of a track that people had been charged for. Interscope could argue that the single was a proper paid download, with the album itself discounted as an incentive to buy the single.

Yes but that's not how they have advertised it. Technically, what you are paying for is part of the album. But then the fact that you are receiving it and being charged for it separately makes me think it could be eligible. If you think about it, say someone pre-orders the album, gets the single and then CANCELS the order, then they have still bought a single song since they won't get a refund on that. All very confusing, only iTunes or probably the chart companies themselves can really verify it. Has anyone asked them?

Yes but that's not how they have advertised it. Technically, what you are paying for is part of the album. But then the fact that you are receiving it and being charged for it separately makes me think it could be eligible. If you think about it, say someone pre-orders the album, gets the single and then CANCELS the order, then they have still bought a single song since they won't get a refund on that. All very confusing, only iTunes or probably the chart companies themselves can really verify it. Has anyone asked them?

You order the album but are only charged for the track you receive now, in this case GAYL, until the album is released, at which point, you pay the difference.

Someone from another forum asked the chart company and I posted their response on page 1. Here it is again:

''According to the chart rules, if the track is being made available as an instant grat for purchasing the album, it will be ineligible for the Official Singles Chart until the album is released.This will be the case with Give Me All Your Luvin’ as it was with Coldplay’s Paradise.''

You order the album but are only charged for the track you receive now, in this case GAYL, until the album is released, at which point, you pay the difference.

Someone from another forum asked the chart company and I posted their response on page 1. Here it is again:

''According to the chart rules, if the track is being made available as an instant grat for purchasing the album, it will be ineligible for the Official Singles Chart until the album is released.This will be the case with Give Me All Your Luvin’ as it was with Coldplay’s Paradise.''

all over the world?

all over the world?

I don't know what the rules are all over the world, but the way the UK rules are does make sense. Album sales don't count towards singles sales, and Interscope obviously wanted people to buy the album and the side effect of that will probably be a lower chart position for GAYL.

that is stupid though, u r still paying for the single as well, so the uk and australia album/single sales dont count towards the Give Me All Your Luvin chart position-ok then australia dont buy it then, lol

So, when the album is released, all those sales will suddenly count that week?

So, when the album is released, all those sales will suddenly count that week?

what?...so the sales(for the single) from the pre-order will only be counted for the charts the week the album is released?...what a strange move...so let's say the sales with the pre-order were 50k, those will count for that week and not for this week's?...are they planning not to release a new single before the album drops? this pre-order thing may work to give GMAYL a nice lift for when the album drops assuming it doesn't do very well in the charts (which could happen because many people are just hating the song) and gets to be below the top 50 or outta the top 100 ...strange strategy indeed...oh well, at least she's smashing in album sales, and just being itunes, imagine added to the physical release!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

when u purchase the itunes album - ur paying for the single too and it is sent to u right away - it will count towards billboards top 100

what?...so the sales(for the single) from the pre-order will only be counted for the charts the week the album is released?...what a strange move...so let's say the sales with the pre-order were 50k, those will count for that week and not for this week's?...are they planning not to release a new single before the album drops? this pre-order thing may work to give GMAYL a nice lift for when the album drops assuming it doesn't do very well in the charts (which could happen because many people are just hating the song) and gets to be below the top 50 or outta the top 100 ...strange strategy indeed...oh well, at least she's smashing in album sales, and just being itunes, imagine added to the physical release!

I'm in the UK so the charts work differently here. So, it won't count in the UK charts until the album is released. So, the single may be dropping and go back up. Hopefully!

Everybody...go to iTunes and buy the single separately!!! Even if you already purchased the album pre-order.Let's get this song to Number One!! Spread the word on other fansites.

Everybody...go to iTunes and buy the single separately!!! Even if you already purchased the album pre-order.Let's get this song to Number One!! Spread the word on other fansites.

YES :thumbsup:

^Me too!!!! The song is not her best, but she's marketing it so good and reaching such a big audience that it doesn't seem to care. Besides, i have a feeling that they launched the song as first single just because she had planned all the Super Bowl thing. I expect a killer second single.

Guest bluejean

^Me too!!!! The song is not her best, but she's marketing it so good and reaching such a big audience that it doesn't seem to care. Besides, i have a feeling that they launched the song as first single just because she had planned all the Super Bowl thing. I expect a killer second single.

Sounds like another fan fantasy like "lets wait until we hear the final version" and "its just a Superbowl teaser then the real single will come out afterward" bullshit. Just enjoy this for what it is because it's been over 10 years since a 2nd single from a Madonna album did well.