Madonna Super Bowl thread

Guest Pud Whacker

The Telegraph

Madonna at the Superbowl: a new reinvention from the eternal Queen of Pop

By Neil McCormick Music Last updated: February 3rd, 2012

I don’t know much about American football but I am looking forward to Madonna’s comeback at the Superbowl on Sunday. I am presuming she won’t be donning a helmet and pads and taking to the field to attempt a touchdown, but you never know with Madonna. She is a very competitive woman.

It’s a big year for Madonna. She’s 53 years old, and still operating on a pop frontline that prizes youth, where the currency is dancing and sex. Most popular stars shift inexorably with time to a mature phase and find themselves bumped (whether they like it or not) from the singles playlist at Radio 1 to the gentler, albums-oriented world of Radio 2. It is certainly true that veteran artists are thriving in the modern era, and Madonna has a couple of decades to catch up with such enduring album artists as McCartney, Dylan and Cohen, but they all exist in musical spheres that allow and possibly even encourage them to slow down and deepen what they do, because their prime audience is one that is growing older with them. The same could be said of Kate Bush and Sade (amongst Madonna’s precious few long-standing female contemporaries), that they operate in musical genres that allow a retreat from the hurly-burly of the charts.

Madonna’s status demands that she remains current. She is an out-and-out pop diva. Certainly she carries a massive loyal audience with her, but she also needs to continually renew herself, and bring a younger audience on board. She is not celebrated for her fantastic singing or insightful lyricism (though she certainly has had her moments), she is a dynamic force of sex, adventure, provocation and physical movement. She makes high-impact music, that depends for its effect on qualities of aural surprise and compact catchiness. These are qualities that have made her the undisputed Queen of Pop for three decades, continually coming back from the brink of irrelevancy by refreshing her sound, adapting, and even creating, new musical developments and delivering pop hits.

Undisputed until now, at any rate. Women are currently the dominant sex in pop music, for the first time ever. Quite apart from the soulful supremacy of Adele or the startling rise of Lana Del Rey, artists like Lady Gaga, Beyonce, Rihanna and Katy Perry have encroached on Madonna’s territory, making highly combustible, sexy and provocative pop with a powerful personality at its core. These aren’t Madonna wannabes like the relatively lightweight Kylie and Britney, they are more like next phase Madonnas, the mark II, new and improved. To be sure, all of these artists have paid homage to Madonna as an “inspiration” – but that sounds like she is being declared an institution and parked in the pop museum.

Madonna had 15 top ten hits in the UK in the last decade, including six number ones (but only five substantial hits in the US and just one chart topper). Yet there have been signs of slippage. Her last studio album, Hard Candy, was an oversexed urban pop set with slightly passé connotations and dubious collaborations that reeked of trying too hard. Her last official single (Revolver, featuring rapper Lil Wayne) didn’t even enter the top 100. Her new material has to regain some ground, and she has to do it while a lot of other artists are not just encroaching on her territory but have practically annexed it.

But if you can’t beat them, join them. Or even better, employ them. Madonna has co-opted two of the most provocative and controversial female talents in modern pop, sonic terrorist MIA and attack rapper Niki Minaj, who contribute to her new single, Give Me All Your Luvin. I’ve got to admit, the sight of a 53-year-old mother of three misspelling the word Loving upsets my inner grammarian, and reeks of a dangerous dumbing down to stay in touch with youthful mores. But the single is a monster, delivering a sugar rush of bright beats and pop hooks. With a touch of egomaniacal branding brilliance, she fashions a hookline out of her own name, with MIA and Minaj chanting “L-U-V Madonna! Y-O-U Madonna!” Symbolically, she has turned her rivals into her cheerleaders, an appropriate image for its launch at the Superbowl.

Her album, which will follow in March, is entitled MDNA. The acronym sounds a bit like a club drug, but a quick search by Google reveals that it actually stands for Machinery Dealers National Association, an international non-profit trade association established to assure buyers of the integrity and reliability of used machinery (find out more at www.MDNA.org). I am not sure this is the association Madonna intended.

Being, like the good lady herself, a fifty something who is down with the kids, I thought it might be text speak for “Madonna”, until my son pointed out that, with predictive texting, you don’t need to leave out letters when you’re thumb typing any more. He suggested it was actually an abbreviation for mitochondrial DNA, a genetic building block passed from mother to child. Of course, I knew that.

It’s an interesting idea, particularly if you view all her rivals as her offspring. In the video for Give Me All Your Luvin (which will be premiered in the US today), she first appears pushing a pram, with MIA and Minaj chanting their allegiance. Is this Madonna as pop’s wolf mother, with her pack cheering her on?

The danger, of course, is that Madonna, in her competitiveness and drive, is turning into a narcissistic mother-monster, gate-crashing her daughter’s party and insisting on dancing with her date. I don’t think she’s reached that point yet. Sunday’s superbowl will show us more.

The Telegraph

It’s a big year for Madonna. She’s 53 years old, and still operating on a pop frontline that prizes youth, where the currency is dancing and sex. Most popular stars shift inexorably with time to a mature phase and find themselves bumped (whether they like it or not) from the singles playlist at Radio 1 to the gentler, albums-oriented world of Radio 2. It is certainly true that veteran artists are thriving in the modern era, and Madonna has a couple of decades to catch up with such enduring album artists as McCartney, Dylan and Cohen, but they all exist in musical spheres that allow and possibly even encourage them to slow down and deepen what they do, because their prime audience is one that is growing older with them.

No

The Telegraph

By Neil McCormick Music Last updated: February 3rd, 2012

I don't know much about American football but I am looking forward to Madonna's comeback at the Superbowl on Sunday. I am presuming she won't be donning a helmet and pads and taking to the field to attempt a touchdown, but you never know with Madonna. She is a very competitive woman.

It's a big year for Madonna. She's 53 years old, and still operating on a pop frontline that prizes youth, where the currency is dancing and sex. Most popular stars shift inexorably with time to a mature phase and find themselves bumped (whether they like it or not) from the singles playlist at Radio 1 to the gentler, albums-oriented world of Radio 2. It is certainly true that veteran artists are thriving in the modern era, and Madonna has a couple of decades to catch up with such enduring album artists as McCartney, Dylan and Cohen, but they all exist in musical spheres that allow and possibly even encourage them to slow down and deepen what they do, because their prime audience is one that is growing older with them. The same could be said of Kate Bush and Sade (amongst Madonna's precious few long-standing female contemporaries), that they operate in musical genres that allow a retreat from the hurly-burly of the charts.

Madonna's status demands that she remains current. She is an out-and-out pop diva. Certainly she carries a massive loyal audience with her, but she also needs to continually renew herself, and bring a younger audience on board. She is not celebrated for her fantastic singing or insightful lyricism (though she certainly has had her moments), she is a dynamic force of sex, adventure, provocation and physical movement. She makes high-impact music, that depends for its effect on qualities of aural surprise and compact catchiness. These are qualities that have made her the undisputed Queen of Pop for three decades, continually coming back from the brink of irrelevancy by refreshing her sound, adapting, and even creating, new musical developments and delivering pop hits.

Undisputed until now, at any rate. Women are currently the dominant sex in pop music, for the first time ever. Quite apart from the soulful supremacy of Adele or the startling rise of Lana Del Rey, artists like Lady Gaga, Beyonce, Rihanna and Katy Perry have encroached on Madonna's territory, making highly combustible, sexy and provocative pop with a powerful personality at its core. These aren't Madonna wannabes like the relatively lightweight Kylie and Britney, they are more like next phase Madonnas, the mark II, new and improved. To be sure, all of these artists have paid homage to Madonna as an "inspiration" – but that sounds like she is being declared an institution and parked in the pop museum.

Madonna had 15 top ten hits in the UK in the last decade, including six number ones (but only five substantial hits in the US and just one chart topper). Yet there have been signs of slippage. Her last studio album, Hard Candy, was an oversexed urban pop set with slightly passé connotations and dubious collaborations that reeked of trying too hard. Her last official single (Revolver, featuring rapper Lil Wayne) didn't even enter the top 100. Her new material has to regain some ground, and she has to do it while a lot of other artists are not just encroaching on her territory but have practically annexed it.

But if you can't beat them, join them. Or even better, employ them. Madonna has co-opted two of the most provocative and controversial female talents in modern pop, sonic terrorist MIA and attack rapper Niki Minaj, who contribute to her new single, Give Me All Your Luvin. I've got to admit, the sight of a 53-year-old mother of three misspelling the word Loving upsets my inner grammarian, and reeks of a dangerous dumbing down to stay in touch with youthful mores. But the single is a monster, delivering a sugar rush of bright beats and pop hooks. With a touch of egomaniacal branding brilliance, she fashions a hookline out of her own name, with MIA and Minaj chanting "L-U-V Madonna! Y-O-U Madonna!" Symbolically, she has turned her rivals into her cheerleaders, an appropriate image for its launch at the Superbowl.

Her album, which will follow in March, is entitled MDNA. The acronym sounds a bit like a club drug, but a quick search by Google reveals that it actually stands for Machinery Dealers National Association, an international non-profit trade association established to assure buyers of the integrity and reliability of used machinery (find out more at www.MDNA.org). I am not sure this is the association Madonna intended.

Being, like the good lady herself, a fifty something who is down with the kids, I thought it might be text speak for "Madonna", until my son pointed out that, with predictive texting, you don't need to leave out letters when you're thumb typing any more. He suggested it was actually an abbreviation for mitochondrial DNA, a genetic building block passed from mother to child. Of course, I knew that.

It's an interesting idea, particularly if you view all her rivals as her offspring. In the video for Give Me All Your Luvin (which will be premiered in the US today), she first appears pushing a pram, with MIA and Minaj chanting their allegiance. Is this Madonna as pop's wolf mother, with her pack cheering her on?

The danger, of course, is that Madonna, in her competitiveness and drive, is turning into a narcissistic mother-monster, gate-crashing her daughter's party and insisting on dancing with her date. I don't think she's reached that point yet. Sunday's superbowl will show us more.

tumblr_luf68nPtUf1r4wzs9o1_500.gif

Guest Fukujima

no they usually don't, but it's Madonna this time.

to be honest with you lot of people outside the US don't even know what The Superbowl is, it's a very typical american thing.

i bet lot of non-us fans are discovering it due to M performing.

Madonnatribe reported few weeks ago that she filmed some ads for the Superbowl..did some of the us guys here see anything :sneaky:

Local Students stepping with madonna at Half time show

When the call went out for for physically fit, athletic males for Madonna's Super Bowl halftime show ... Gage Davis and Tyler Graham signed up.

Davis and Graham, a Penn High School senior and Indiana University South Bend freshman, explained why the requirement for fit and athletic. "Our outfits are slightly revealing," Davis says.

http://www.wsbt.com/news/wsbt-gage-and-tyler-stepping-with-madonna-for-super-bowl-halftime-show-20120203,0,7309182.story

Can't believe this article :thumbsdown:

Madonna_AdAge_INFOGRAPHIC_LARGER.jpg?1328297936

Is Madonna the Worst Choice Ever for a Super Bowl Halftime Show?

Social Sentiment About the Material Girl's Imminent Performance: Negative!

Friday's New York Post

Madonna is on the cover of the New York Post today for having done a Victor Cruz-style salsa victory dance at a press conference yesterday. You'll be forgiven if you suspect that the Material Girl was merely engaging in a last-minute attempt to associate herself somehow with something football-ish as her Super Bowl halftime show approaches. Madonna said that in addition to intense rehearsals, she'd be relying on "the support of the universe and the grace of God" to pull off her performance.

The support of the universe? I guess the universe doesn't include football fans, who have been grumbling in social media about Madonna since the announcement of her halftime gig was first made in December. And it didn't help Madonna's cause that there was also a good bit of grumbling about her appearance on the Golden Globes telecast last month. She may have sold hundreds of millions of records, but a lot of very vocal people seem to be very sick of Madonna.

Ad Age has been working with Networked Insights, a social-media analytics company that advises brands and agencies on media planning, to track social sentiment surrounding Madonna.

Some notes and context:

■Networked Insights tracks sentiment across the social web, including Twitter and Facebook, but also in forums and blog posts. Over the past couple of months, the No. 1 recurring theme (at 45% of volume) in social-media commentary about Madonna's upcoming Super Bowl halftime show is that she was a lousy choice (on the part of NFL and its broadcast partner NBC, although the culprits are seldom called out by name). Some 15% of comments dis Madonna's appearance, and 12% make fun of her fake-sounding British accent. By the way, the percentages in our chart don't add up to 100% not only because they don't comprehensively cover all conversational themes but also because there's often overlap between sentiments -- for example, tweets that dis both Madonna's looks and her selection for the gig, like this one from @RoxyCavendish: "Madonna. Not feeling it. She's old. She's looking like a skeleton. With a wig. #notthrilled #halftime #superbowl."

■"Anyone who has bought advertising during the halftime show should be concerned from a media-planning perspective," Dan Neely, CEO of Networked Insights, told me. Not only are there plenty of counterprogramming options available on TV (including, of course, the kitty halftime show during Animal Planet's Puppy Bowl), but tons of Super Bowl viewers will surely be turning to second-screen experiences -- choosing media on their mobiles* over Madonna.

■Networked Insights also tracked recurring themes in social-media conversations about Madonna's appearance at the Golden Globes last month. The most common discussion had to do with her feud with fellow nominee Elton John (a one-sided feud, granted, that was started by sore loser Sir Elton and his equally ungracious partner David Furnish), with comments acknowledging her Best Original Song win coming in second and disses of, yep, her weird-sounding faux British-y accent coming in third.

■Have Madonna and her people been monitoring her negative social-media buzz? From the sounds of yesterday's press conference, I'd say yes. If you watch the brief excerpt video on the New York Post's website, you'll find that not only has Madonna suddenly scrubbed the annoying British accent from her voice, but she made a point of emphasizing her American-ness: "This is a Midwesterner girl's dream to be performing at the Super Bowl halftime," she declared in a flat Midwestern accent. (Oh, right -- she's from Bay City, Michigan, not York, England. Almost forgot!)

■Have the NFL and NBC been monitoring the negative social buzz surrounding their halftime choice? I'd say yes, judging by the fact that, as The Guardian reports, "Both Nicki Minaj and MIA announced they would perform alongside the 53-year-old Material Girl on Sunday, cannily bridging any generation gap between headliner and target demographic." (Minaj and MIA guest on Madonna's new single, "Gimme All Your Luvin'," out today.)

■Who would Super Bowl fans rather see than Madonna? From its blog and forum monitoring (three sample comments appear in our infographic above), Networked Insights saw a lot of love for the stadium-rocking Foo Fighters.

* "mobiles" pronounced with a British accent

Simon Dumenco is the "Media Guy" columnist for Advertising Age. You can follow him on Twitter @simondumenco. You can follow Networked Insights on Twitter @NetInsights

http://adage.com/article/special-report-super-bowl/madonna-worst-pick-super-bowl-halftime-show/232524/

Guest Coked Up Baby Boy

Jesus @ those quotes :lol:

Imagine the FURY when Give Me A Bucket starts and Madonna's flat ass cheeks hanging out of her shorts start swaying to and fro on the tee vee :rotfl: DRINK UP ALL.

I'm sure when PRINCE and his lip gloss and lil' pointy tappity heels were announced to perform there were people hoping to not have to sit through that too, meh. They still had to eat it because it's right bang in the middle of the show, didn't they? yes.

*tappity tap tap*

Guest Topaz Scorpio

Jesus @ those quotes :lol:

Imagine the FURY when Give Me A Bucket starts and Madonna's flat ass cheeks hanging out of her shorts start swaying to and fro on the tee vee :rotfl: DRINK UP ALL.

I'm sure when PRINCE and his lip gloss and lil' pointy tappity heels were announced to perform there were people hoping to not have to sit through that too, meh. They still had to eat it because it's right bang in the middle of the show, didn't they? yes.

*tappity tap tap*

Prince never incurred the hate from the general public like Madonna has (in the U.S.). At worst people just thought he was weird or eccentric.

Guest Topaz Scorpio

Friday's New York Post

The Post has always hated M so no surprises there. They're just a rag though so their opinion doesn't amount to much.

Local Students stepping with madonna at Half time show

When the call went out for for physically fit, athletic males for Madonna's Super Bowl halftime show ... Gage Davis and Tyler Graham signed up.

Davis and Graham, a Penn High School senior and Indiana University South Bend freshman, explained why the requirement for fit and athletic. "Our outfits are slightly revealing," Davis says.http://www.wsbt.com/news/wsbt-gage-and-tyler-stepping-with-madonna-for-super-bowl-halftime-show-20120203,0,7309182.story

:shock::wow::demonic::wow::inlove:

The Post has always hated M so no surprises there. They're just a rag though so their opinion doesn't amount to much.

Its not from the Post, they used the front cover for the article, its from AdAge http://adage.com/article/special-report-super-bowl/madonna-worst-pick-super-bowl-halftime-show/232524/

no new news tidbits, leaks about tomorrow's performance........

what do you guys think we're gonna see, hear.

im thinking this:

stadium lights off.....intro music......lightspot following the pit, beginning of vogue original version, the light catcges 'something'....it's a egyptian throne....with m ala cleopatra whispering vogue, vogue, vogue.....she then steps on the stage and vogue begins in egyptian style with lots of hunks and dancing

after that the lights on the stage turn black and we see on the big ledd screen a football being thrown towards the stage...the stage lights up and M's standing there with the football and lots of cheerleaders and gmayl starts. much the same ass vdo except lmfao is also there.

then there's music mashing with im sexy and i know it....sexy, fun. acapella piece "music makes the people come tgether" to get the crowd going

finally like a prayer with this gay men gospel choir. the extended single version with choreo like ba-style with the song fading with the choir singing and m disappearing from the stage slowly.

to be honest with you lot of people outside the US don't even know what The Superbowl is, it's a very typical american thing.

So true.

Madonnatribe reported few weeks ago that she filmed some ads for the Superbowl..did some of the us guys here see anything :sneaky:

Yes, I was just about to ask this. So?? Where are those ads?

the light catcges 'something'....it's a egyptian throne....with m ala cleopatra whispering vogue, vogue, vogue.....she then steps on the stage and vogue begins in egyptian style with lots of hunks and dancing

:rotfl:

Guest groovyguy

http://www.madonnarama.com/posts-en/2012/02/04/madonna-at-the-super-bowl-no-cash-and-a-new-remix/

Madonna at the Super Bowl: No cash and a new remix!

Madonna will be performing a version of Give Me All Your Luvin’ with Nicki Minaj, M.I.A and LMFAO during her Super Bowl XVLI halftime set, next sunday.

iTunes also announced that the exclusive #16 bonus track is actually a remix that features LMFAO as guests, titled…

Give Me All Your Luvin’ (FAO Remix) [feat. Nicki Minaj and LMFAO]

Business magazine Forbes also revealed that when Madonna performs her Super Bowl XVLI halftime set, she won’t be earning a penny because Halftime show acts perform for free…

Marc Ganis, president of the consultancy Sportscorp Ltd explains…

“Typically, the entertainers for the Super Bowl do not get a cash payment.

This is the kind of exposure that entertainers would give their right arm for…

They could do 20 Leno and Letterman appearances and still not reach that [kind of] audience.

They get so much out of it.

Frankly, it wouldn’t shock me if, some day, the entertainers end up paying the NFL.”

Forbes evaluates Madonna’s 12 minutes being worth $84 million comparing it to what an advertiser would pay if he were to buy 12 minutes of Super Bowl commercial time.

There are other perks.

Though Madonna and other halftime acts don’t receive a performance fee, they receive plenty of goodies on top of the free advertising.

They don’t have to pay for backup dancers, pyrotechnics, load-in, load-out, etc—expenses, that can add up to $5-$10 million for a show like Madonna’s.

They also receive free transportation and accommodation for their entourages.

Then there are the extra opportunities offered by the days preceding the Super Bowl, including free publicity and a plethora of parties during the week-long lead-up to the game.

Given all these benefits, playing the Super Bowl Halftime Show for free is more than worth the trouble.

In fact, it’s incredibly lucrative – and such a good deal for artists, that some suspect a major change might be on the horizon.

Madonna will announce dates for her upcoming World Tour after the game.

source: forbes

Thanks to Luan, iTunes

Guest groovyguy

http://drownedmadonna.com/index/item/546-madonna-requests-heidi-gardners-logo-ring-for-the-super-bowl.html

Madonna requests Heidi Gardner's Logo Ring for the Super Bowl

After Bea Akerlund showed her images of jewelry designer Heidi Gardner line, Madonna specifically asked for Heidi's Logo Ring for her performance at the Super Bowl on Sunday.

Asked what it is like to design for the Queen of Pop, “It’s an honor,” Heidi Gardner told She Finds. “Just to get on Madonna’s radar, and to hear that she requested this specific piece that has my name on the mouth – I was like ‘you’re kidding me.’ Major.”

Guest groovyguy

http://www.tmz.com/2012/02/03/madonna-joe-francis-girls-gone-wild-cease-and-desist-song-super-bowl/#.Ty01nPkpAWZ

'Girls Gone Wild' Creator Madonna ... You Sing that Song And I'll Sue!!!

2/3/2012 12:17 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

0203-joe-launch-ex-02.jpg

Joe Francis -- the mastermind behind "Girls Gone Wild" -- is sending Madonna a cease and desist letter, threatening that he'll take legal action if she sings the song from her new album -- titled "Girls Gone Wild" -- at the Super Bowl.

TMZ has obtained the letter that Francis has sent to Madonna and her "co-conspirators." Francis' lawyer threatens to sue all of them for attempting to get a "free ride on the valuable consumer goodwill and brand recognition" of Joe's famous trademark.

Francis' lawyer makes it clear: "Your misappropriation of my clients' trademark will not be tolerated."

But Francis is willing to cut a deal with Madonna, provided she agrees to the following terms:

-- Negotiate an immediate licensing agreement for the use of Joe's trademark

-- Account for the number of times Madonna has already used the trademark

-- NOT PERFORM THE SONG AT THE SUPER BOWL

Joe thinks NBC and the NFL are conspiring with Madonna, so the letter went to them as well.

Joe's lawyer is demanding a response by 5 PM PT today ... or else.

Madonna_AdAge_INFOGRAPHIC_LARGER.jpg?1328297936

Friday's New York Post

Madonna is on the cover of the New York Post today for having done a Victor Cruz-style salsa victory dance at a press conference yesterday. You'll be forgiven if you suspect that the Material Girl was merely engaging in a last-minute attempt to associate herself somehow with something football-ish as her Super Bowl halftime show approaches. Madonna said that in addition to intense rehearsals, she'd be relying on "the support of the universe and the grace of God" to pull off her performance.

The support of the universe? I guess the universe doesn't include football fans, who have been grumbling in social media about Madonna since the announcement of her halftime gig was first made in December. And it didn't help Madonna's cause that there was also a good bit of grumbling about her appearance on the Golden Globes telecast last month. She may have sold hundreds of millions of records, but a lot of very vocal people seem to be very sick of Madonna.

Ad Age has been working with Networked Insights, a social-media analytics company that advises brands and agencies on media planning, to track social sentiment surrounding Madonna.

Some notes and context:

■Networked Insights tracks sentiment across the social web, including Twitter and Facebook, but also in forums and blog posts. Over the past couple of months, the No. 1 recurring theme (at 45% of volume) in social-media commentary about Madonna's upcoming Super Bowl halftime show is that she was a lousy choice (on the part of NFL and its broadcast partner NBC, although the culprits are seldom called out by name). Some 15% of comments dis Madonna's appearance, and 12% make fun of her fake-sounding British accent. By the way, the percentages in our chart don't add up to 100% not only because they don't comprehensively cover all conversational themes but also because there's often overlap between sentiments -- for example, tweets that dis both Madonna's looks and her selection for the gig, like this one from @RoxyCavendish: "Madonna. Not feeling it. She's old. She's looking like a skeleton. With a wig. #notthrilled #halftime #superbowl."

■"Anyone who has bought advertising during the halftime show should be concerned from a media-planning perspective," Dan Neely, CEO of Networked Insights, told me. Not only are there plenty of counterprogramming options available on TV (including, of course, the kitty halftime show during Animal Planet's Puppy Bowl), but tons of Super Bowl viewers will surely be turning to second-screen experiences -- choosing media on their mobiles* over Madonna.

■Networked Insights also tracked recurring themes in social-media conversations about Madonna's appearance at the Golden Globes last month. The most common discussion had to do with her feud with fellow nominee Elton John (a one-sided feud, granted, that was started by sore loser Sir Elton and his equally ungracious partner David Furnish), with comments acknowledging her Best Original Song win coming in second and disses of, yep, her weird-sounding faux British-y accent coming in third.

■Have Madonna and her people been monitoring her negative social-media buzz? From the sounds of yesterday's press conference, I'd say yes. If you watch the brief excerpt video on the New York Post's website, you'll find that not only has Madonna suddenly scrubbed the annoying British accent from her voice, but she made a point of emphasizing her American-ness: "This is a Midwesterner girl's dream to be performing at the Super Bowl halftime," she declared in a flat Midwestern accent. (Oh, right -- she's from Bay City, Michigan, not York, England. Almost forgot!)

■Have the NFL and NBC been monitoring the negative social buzz surrounding their halftime choice? I'd say yes, judging by the fact that, as The Guardian reports, "Both Nicki Minaj and MIA announced they would perform alongside the 53-year-old Material Girl on Sunday, cannily bridging any generation gap between headliner and target demographic." (Minaj and MIA guest on Madonna's new single, "Gimme All Your Luvin'," out today.)

■Who would Super Bowl fans rather see than Madonna? From its blog and forum monitoring (three sample comments appear in our infographic above), Networked Insights saw a lot of love for the stadium-rocking Foo Fighters.

* "mobiles" pronounced with a British accent

Simon Dumenco is the "Media Guy" columnist for Advertising Age. You can follow him on Twitter @simondumenco. You can follow Networked Insights on Twitter @NetInsights

http://adage.com/article/special-report-super-bowl/madonna-worst-pick-super-bowl-halftime-show/232524/

I read somewhere that they interviewed OVER 875 people for this . You know because they are only 875 people in US and NON of them are Madonna's fans ! Damn !

Guest groovyguy

http://www.forbes.com/sites/zackomalleygreenburg/2012/02/03/why-madonna-isnt-getting-paid-for-her-super-bowl-halftime-gig/

Why Madonna Isn't Getting Paid For Her Super Bowl Halftime Gig

2/03/2012 @ 1:00PM

Madonna released the song “Material Girl” in 1985, and she’s spent the intervening time proving the moniker true. She earned $58 million in 2010 and grossed $280 million on her last tour, averaging $6 million in nightly ticket sales.

But when Madonna performs her Super Bowl XVLI halftime set, she won’t be earning a penny. Why? Same reason the Black Eyed Peas didn’t get paid for theirs last year—halftime show acts perform for free.

“Typically, the entertainers for the Super Bowl do not get a cash payment,” explains Marc Ganis, president of the consultancy Sportscorp Ltd. “This is the kind of exposure that entertainers would give their right arm for … they could do 20 Leno and Letterman appearances and still not reach that [kind of] audience.”

Indeed, Madonna has plenty to gain from doing the show for free. Her new album, MDNA, is scheduled for release in March; she is expected perform its first single, “Give Me All Your Luvin’,” at the Super Bowl with Nicki Minaj and M.I.A. The film W.E., which the singer produced and directed, opens in the U.S. this week. And, to top it all off, Madonna will announce dates for her upcoming world tour after the game.

“No other vehicle provides a platform to entertain the nation on a day they want to be entertained,” says Paul Swangard, managing director of the University of Oregon’s Warsaw Sports Marketing Center. “Sunday we’ll be reminded that before there was Gaga there was Madonna. It is clear the Material Girl still wants a piece of the action.”

So how much is that action worth? Considering that the halftime show is essentially a nationwide advertisement for Madonna’s various ventures, let’s evaluate it in the context of what companies pay for commercial time during the game. Volkswagen recently paid $3.5 million for a 30-second spot, a new record. By that math, Madonna’s 12 minutes are worth $84 million.

If an advertiser actually wanted to buy 12 minutes of Super Bowl commercial time, of course, there might be a bulk discount available. Then again, there might be a premium for buying continuous chunks of time. At any rate, any such calculations are pure conjecture, as it seems highly unlikely that a company would ever want to dish out that much for a single event.

There are other perks. Though Madonna and other halftime acts don’t receive a performance fee, they receive plenty of goodies on top of the free advertising. They don’t have to pay for backup dancers, pyrotechnics, load-in, load-out, etc—expenses that can add up to $5-$10 million for a show like Madonna’s. They also receive free transportation and accommodation for their entourages.

Then there are the extra opportunities offered by the days preceding the Super Bowl, including free publicity and a plethora of parties during the week-long lead-up to the game. Though Usher joined the Black Eyed Peas as an unpaid halftime performer last year, he is said to have received $1 million to perform at a DirecTV event before the game.

Given all these benefits, playing the Super Bowl halftime show for free is more than worth the trouble. In fact, it’s incredibly lucrative–and such a good deal for artists that some suspect a major change might be on the horizon.

“They get so much out of it,” says Ganis. “Frankly, it wouldn’t shock me if, some day, the entertainers end up paying the NFL.”