W.E. Your Rating?

I have many thoughts on this of course, but my review would require a dissertation!

Stop playing hard to get, now we've been waiting for the loomer thesis and we gonna get it. :flirt:

Close to, but better than, my rating. Interesting ...

I wasn't sure what rating to put actually.

So you won't even post a review?

Hah, well I did intend to but it's one of those nightmare posts where I have so many thoughts and ideas I'd have to sit and edit it into a cohesive, non-rambling post. I'm wary of it being too long, but concise doesn't seem to be an option. I'll try and do it for tomorrow. :horn: And that bitch MadFan couldn't be arsed doing a write-up either, they're difficult. :rotfl:

Stop playing hard to get, now we've been waiting for the loomer thesis and we gonna get it. :flirt:

:demonic:

So, a lot of favourable posts here. Do people think she's been harshly treated or did you enjoy it but can see why the critics were so negative? Could this fillm actually improve with time?

It's so obvious the film is polarizing to critics because of Madonna as a director. Many of the harsh reviews had some good things to say about it.

The screenplay is the fault of the movie.....the acting, cinematography, score, costumes, art direction have been praised by many. So I'm going to see it in the States Feb 3 with an open mind and hope to enjoy it.

8/10

The costumes, music, and visuals are breathtaking. A very posh style. The story is very interesting and Abbie did a wonderful job playing Walis. The guy who played the museum security guard is not bad to look at either :dramatic:

lol why did Jism delete his post about the doctoral thesis? I thought it was funny. Imma have to look up MadFan's critique, wasn't sure when it was done but I was waiting till I saw it for myself before I read any reviews.

Because I love you too much to be cunty about you :flirt:

• 2 months later...

OK so I managed to draw up a "review" of sorts :demonic:

(very mild) spoilers of course

To start with I will address the flaws, theyÂ’re inescapable, thereÂ’s a reason many critics loathed this. There are problems with the direction, or rather some of the directorial choices. I donÂ’t want to harp on about the technical aspects but even though youÂ’re more aware of that cause you know itÂ’s Madonna, this film practically demands you to.

The problem here is sheÂ’s too visible, good direction is surely about not noticing the director, but thereÂ’s long shots and grainy shots galore which youÂ’re like wtf about. ItÂ’s all so showy and ostentatious, very Vadge but not really a great idea. Once you get used to it however, itÂ’s fine and no longer gets in the way, itÂ’s just a bit jarring at first.

Madonna’s directing seems promising actually, the only problem is she makes a habit of showing off and inserting shots like that 1941 Finnish film she loves, it’s all so arthouse which I don’t generally mind but a bit of an odd way to start. You could say this was a good project from a film student, which is a big compliment – she’s only a novice here after all. It shows she has imagination and ideas, it’s just the execution and how best to utilise all this.

Another thing that I did not like at all was the score – not the score itself which seems fine, but again this jarred as it’s one of those films where the score plays throughout which is extremely distracting and obtrusive. Again, it does let up eventually and you get used to it. But it’s sensory overload at first. :lol:

Costumes didn't seem all that at first, but they soon pulled out all the stops. Cinematography also fine, certainly better than the horrid grey scheme of colours in J. Edgar which I saw around then. THAT tree scene wasn't as bad as I feared on the big screen and I wish she didn't do the tired borrowing from Sofia Coppola but the "Pretty Vacant" scene also worked rather well to be fair, not the nightmare I envisaged.

The biggest problem which I think has been mentioned is the script. Now the people who read this who thought it was great, I presume they mean the actual story and how it flowed which I definitely agree with. One thing I knew coming into it was the timeshifts were handled very well and they certainly are, excellently done and not jarring.

But the script, or rather the dialogue.. well it’s a bit tumbleweed. I’m not sure how much that Alex Keshishkebab done – he seems to insert a line about “love and other disasters” which is a reference to his film, but this has Madge’s fingerprints all over it. In fact the lines they were reading sounded like a collage of Madonna quotes from her interviews. :rotfl:

The real problem though was how po-faced it was, complete humour failure. Now I don’t agree with those who say Madge, or rather Esther, is a humourless stuck-up old battleaxe – she can be very funny in person, it’s just all about the timing of her dry humour. Here however was a disaster, it was as funny as a 9th season episode of Everybody Loves Raymond – one laugh out moment in the whole film, the “get a life” bit which none of the other 6 people in the audience liked. :chuckle: I’m not saying all dramas need humour, but most of them do, even the most serious ones and is something which lightens and humanizes it, it would make this less robotic.

She really needs to stay away from the script in future projects - other than outlining the ideas. Heck, even at her best she was never the best lyricist, so this just is a bad idea. And Alex K can cunt right off as well - hire Aaron Sorkin for 20 million!

Characterization, hmmm. Well to start with I’d fuck that Oscar Isaac till my cock became a bleeding stump. That Abbie Cornish bytch character was dull as ditchwater – that can’t be Madonna can it?! The obsession with fertility treatments was interesting. Andrea didn’t quite have enough to be awards worthy, but was fantastic – Gillian Anderson as Wallis was also awesome in Any Human Heart which I saw bits of on youtube before I saw it. James OK, Abbie really had a thankless task and nothing to work with. To be honest, I was most impressed with Oscar Isaac, I can’t believe this was the same guy in Drive, he has such range. And he, not Riseborough, topped the list of up and comers in some magazine this year.

But and crucially despite all this criticism of undeniable faults – I rather liked it! This was a very watchable 6/10 film for me - I was never bored - and that’s all I asked for. The ending was nice and this is kind of essential for fans as it has lots of clues about her personal life.

I'm a bit dismayed she supposedly wants to do ANOTHER biopic about some other stuck-up period English aristocractic bytch, that would make her a one trick pony. :( I wanted to see Filth and Wisdom before I went to W.E., now looking forward to it. :rosey:

• 2 years later...

^ The film was unfairly criticized because M has always been a polarizing figure & her attempts at film have been mostly panned by critics & the general public.

I still like the movie, but the directing could have been much better. Some of the story line felt shallow, while visually it was top notch. I can see why it was nominated for an oscar for best costume category

8/10

I agree with the flawed script, Wally being one dimensional and boring...but I still loved it all.

Cinematography was perfection.

Score (was jarring yes...she needed to relax with it SERIOUSLY) perfection

Acting perfection all around

Costume design perfection

It was shot beautifully and really at the very least is a fully realized concept, with a nice ending. I found it to be memorable among non-musical M project and will play it again and again in the future. I still listen to the score with hidef headphones and it is simply luxurious.

Guest Pud Whacker

i absolutely loved it. if it was anyone else who made the film, the minor criticisms wouldnt even exist. people would have just watched it as a motion picture.

9/10

Guest CzarnaWisnia

I liked it very much and didn't understand why it was trashed. In fact I liked it despite it's topic which I find rather uninteresting as I have no interest in the kind of people portrayed (royalty and such). I'd have to watch it again to get a better point of view.

If I'm honest it bored me.

Beautifully directed and stunning cinematography, but the storyline was too flat, I'd of much preferred a straight bio about Wallis, the fact there was 2 stories didn't seen to do much for the film at all.

A great effort and I appreciate the work Madonna put into it, but i have to be honest, it's a boring film to sit through start to finish .