Is MDNA shaping as the new ROL?

elijah

Similarities between ROL and MDNA:

Before releasing both albums she wins Golden Globe for movie projects

Both lps are released 4 years after the previous album

Footages from the recording sessions of both albums are released and the public can see the creative process

The previous albums are influence by r'n'b and see her following a trend rather than creating it

The previous albums are not failures, but are not regarded as among her best albums

She looks happy around the time of the realease of both albums

Both lps are co-produced with Orbit

The people obviously want to hear the new albums (she appears in the most anticipated lps lists)

Both albums are released around the same time

The first single of both albums is a big surprise for the fans and the sound is unexpected

The first singles are performed at San Remo (eventually it would be the case for MDNA)

Both albums can be described as combination of light and dark

Do we have more similarities?

NO

this happened before the release of American Life, comparing it to you Like a Prayer, some were saying its goign to be amazing, there is a song about her mother and father, shes just finished a play like she did right before LAP, the video for the first single is controversial OH GOD THIS IS LIKE A PRAYER II it wasnt it was crap.

Ray of Light she was working with underground artists, she was truly inspired, this projects looks fairly interesting with M.I.A (amazing) but remember that Slovedge or whatever hes called is overseeing most of it and hes shit.

we'll see. but yeah, no.

Oh god. I love how people is SO SURE she's not inspired just because she's not working with UNDERGROUND PRODUCERS :lmao::lmao::lmao:

working with say britney spears would not suggest someone is inspired, based on their previous musical output, would you not agree?

While GAYL hasn't knocked my socks of yet (I am awaiting the 'final' version before making my final judgement), I'm not yet giving up hope that this album could be one of her best. I think Madge knows, deep down, that she needs to pull something pretty impressive out of the bag to hang on to that crown. And let's not pretend here, she wants to keep that crown! Plus, she seems to deliver her best work when under pressure to do so. I don't want to build my hopes too much but I'm pretty damn excited about this era, I think it's gonna be spectacular and fingers crossed, we'll have an album to match it! :angel:

Solkveig may not be as "underground" as some of M's other collaborators, but he's far from the mainstream sounds of the last album.

Anyhow, in no way expecting a Ray-of-Light-like record. That (like LAP) was fueled by looming personal demons (family/much-publicized and volatile marriage) and an incomparable life experience (having her first child)- I don't think that's the case with this album.

I remember the AL/LAP comparisons, down to the brunette hair. Of course I would love another ROL quality level album/era but I'd be more than happy if MDNA performed in the same league as Confessions.

Agreed and the truth is there's no way you can re-create the sound of an album without it feeling dated so in all honesty I doubt it will sound anything like ray of light. Even the William Orbit songs are going to be different. They both have grown and changed and are trying to rebirth the fire and magic they had. I'm sure it was easy to work with each other again but that doesn't mean it's Ray of Light.

And AL being shit is because it didn't turn out to be like LAP is ridiculous. She was in a completely different place in her career. If I would have read that, I would not have believed it considering her producers and the direction she was undoubtly going. American Life is her most underrated under appreciated album. It's unfortunate because it is one of her most beautiful records.

I wouldn't mind something similar to confessions with some shitty rapper and a ton a fan-made or official Madonna-only edits to listen to. The fact that confessions still doesn't sound dated and is more dance than anything is more to my liking but then again, if she pulled off a newer, techno modern styled Ray of Light...it'd be magic. I'll keep my fingers crossed but I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't turn out that way.

Maybe she can do a newer Ray of Light and her next album could be a newer Confessions & she could team up with Stuart Price again.

working with say britney spears would not suggest someone is inspired, based on their previous musical output, would you not agree?

Oh, is she working with BRTNEY SPEARS this year? NO. End of the story. If you want some UNDERFROUND/INDIE music there are tons of artists out there. I listen to lots of indie rock and electronic, but I want POP Madonna.

Give All Your Love demo is proof enough this isn't going to be the next ROL. :horn:

Indeed, only furthered confirmed by the sound of the birthday song snippet. And the fact that there is even a song called birthday song to begin with ...

I don't know why every album she puts out people try and suggest it will be the next LAP or ROL etc.

NONE of her albums sound the same at all.

This is true, this is true. Perhaps the hope is more that it will create the same mood as a prior album such as ROL rather than sounding exactly the same.

It seems like every decade has a 'benchmark' album that people hold new releases up to. The 80's was LAP, the 90s was ROL, I think the 00's is a toss up between Music and COADF, will MDNA be the 10's defining album for M?? Will we be still visiting this forum when Madge is in her 60's hoping her new album lives up to the masterpiece that was MDNA? Interesting thought!

Guest groovyguy

I don't know why every album she puts out people try and suggest it will be the next LAP or ROL etc.

This.

I agree that all her albums are very different from one another. There may be elements of transitional songs from previous albums to the next... for instance, we have "Bedtime Story" which gave us an idea what she could do next for ROL. And various songs from Music had elements of what we heard from ROL and so on. I do think Hard Candy was quite the detour from her past albums. M.D.N.A. will probably get back on track with some of what we're more used to from her, with surely a some new direction. One cool thing about Madonna is each of her albums do have a contrast in themes. It'll be interesting to see what theme she takes on this time around.

Exactly.Unlike Mariah and Janet,who just re-make the same album over and over,Madonna always moves ahead and evolves with each album.

Similarities between ROL and MDNA:

Before releasing both albums she wins Golden Globe for movie projects

Both lps are released 4 years after the previous album

Footages from the recording sessions of both albums are released and the public can see the creative process

The previous albums are influence by r'n'b and see her following a trend rather than creating it

The previous albums are not failures, but are not regarded as among her best albums

She looks happy around the time of the realease of both albums

Both lps are co-produced with Orbit

The people obviously want to hear the new albums (she appears in the most anticipated lps lists)

Both albums are released around the same time

The first single of both albums is a big surprise for the fans and the sound is unexpected

The first singles are performed at San Remo (eventually it would be the case for MDNA)

Both albums can be described as combination of light and dark

Do we have more similarities?

Yes.

Someone was arrested for leaking Frozen.

Same thing happened to a fan for leaking GAYL.

OMG! ROL here we go again!