M's New Album Title: M.D.N.A.

Flip The Switch

Normally I would agree with that and would roll my eyes at all the many meta interpretations of her videos or whatever but while it may not have been intentional at first, they would have saw it would work as a pun and hit the jackpot.

She has had nothing like this except the sheer genius pun of The Immaculate Collection. I expect her to mention in interviews with the title that it does have a drug connotation, but it's not meaning it like that.. she actually spoke of the druggy sound ROL had back then, and since this is Orbit again, it makes perfect sense with that hypnotic/hallucinogenic dancing off your tits at a club sound.

It's reminiscent of the very druggy/psychedelic MGMT anyway - and their name is just the shortened word like she's done by removing letters.

How exactly does it sound like MGMT?

exactly. art is something presented for people to interpret. but some people here think that's meaningless because Madonna didn't explain what it means. I really hope she doesn't or to explain it as vaguely as she can :thumbsup:

I don't disagree with that, so that is in fact untrue that I think it's "meaningless". Madonna has explained various album titles in the past. Specifically, I recall her talking about RAY OF LIGHT, CONFESSION ON A DANCE FLOOR and HARD CANDY. I'm not saying she gets into deep about the meanings, but she has mentioned her intentions in the past. Yet, I do recall her saying in the past about letting people interpret things for themselves, but I'm not sure that was in reference of album titles. Still, it's just interesting to chat about.

The drug thing could be seen as the album is such a STIMULANT it means you don't need drugs -who needs mdma when you have MDNA????? :wow::horn:

:rotfl:

Well lets hope that's the case.

How exactly does it sound like MGMT?

I dunno, I was watching one of their videos earlier and it suddenly came to mind. :demonic: Both snappy 4 letter acronym/shortened words with, um, 4 letters beginning with M.

MGMT is a pretty shit band name - I believe they had to change it when their first choice was taken - but it works so well and is so memorable. Short names like this are good and stick in the mind, so that also augurs well.. but Madonna was always very concise with song and album titles.

The drug thing could be seen as the album is such a STIMULANT it means you don't need drugs -who needs mdma when you have MDNA????? :wow::horn:

oooh i like that. it's like a new drug called MDNA. all this about drugs and DNA :lol: QUEEN OF SCIENTISTS :wow:

Guest Borderline

I don't disagree with that, so that is in fact untrue that I think it's "meaningless". Madonna has explained various album titles in the past. Specifically, I recall her talking about RAY OF LIGHT, CONFESSION ON A DANCE FLOOR and HARD CANDY. I'm not saying she gets into deep about the meanings, but she has mentioned her intentions in the past. Yet, I do recall her saying in the past about letting people interpret things for themselves, but I'm not sure that was in reference of album titles. Still, it's just interesting to chat about.

All art is open to the interpretation of peers. I think sometimes (like right now) too much supposed interpretation goes into something that is fairly straightforward. There are, obviously, multiple connotations to the album title, but trivializing her employment of 'artistic license' and the use of pun under the guise of 'just having a conversation about it', is utterly annoying, and just as useful as tits on a nun.

On the bright side... I love the album title. Sheer genius. It has given me that bone to gnaw on that I needed to wait it out til release time.

MDNA: M(a)D(o)N(n)A

I LIKE THIS ONE GROOVY!!!! she jut has to make "A" "O" & "N" smaller so that they'll appear sa semi-dots... so maybe that's why there is no dot after "A"

i'm sure neutrocks will get it now... she is not endorsing MDMA, it's a play on words or acronyms...

I know the druggies here think it's drug related, but honestly, i took it as DNA, as in the science, and M for Madonna.

the first time I read MDNA at that Graham Norton thread only two things came to mind... M DNA and the MADONNA abbreviation....

but the MDMA allusion is brilliant...

A reporter asked her what MDNA stood for at last night UK premiere and she said ......

Guest groovyguy

A reporter asked her what MDNA stood for at last night UK premiere and she said ......

It stands for Madonna. She likes to play with words cause there's a triple meaning to it. She then winked and walked off but said this is going to be an exciting year! :inlove:

Guest groovyguy

I love the fact that this title just came completely out the blue we were all bracing ourselves for LUV, M, or Madonna.

Triple meaning:

1. an abbreviation of her name which seems indicative of her reentering the music scene. A new beginning!

2. the obvious pun with MDMA, the love drug, the dancing drug, cause of euphoria and endless energy.

3. the reference to mitochondrial DNA, which, as has been noted, is maternal. Madonna once more casting herself as The Mother, as she has throughout her career (The Madonna being the archetype for motherhood in Western religious art). In that sense, this title is as much a reference to her own name as Like A Virgin was (Virgin/Whore complex). And, of course, it references her own lineage in the pop music world. All of these girls are her daughters, but she is the one who gave birth.

Guest groovyguy

http://www.nme.com/news/madonna/61389

Anti-drugs campaigners hit out at Madonna over 'MDNA' album title

Cannabis Skunk Sense have called Madge's new LP title 'ill advised'

Madonna has been criticized by anti-drug campaigners over her decision to title her new studio album 'MDNA'.

The singer revealed the title of her 12th studio album during a pre-recorded interview with Graham Norton for his BBC1 show yesterday (January 11) and has said it will be released on March 12.

Though the album title is an abbreviation of Madonna's name, it is also similar in sound to the name of Class A drug MDMA and for this reason it has been criticized by anti-drug campaigners.

Lucy Dawe, a spokesperson for the campaign group Cannabis Skunk Sense told The Sun that Madonna's choice of album title was "an ill advised decision".

Madonna will release the album's first single 'Gimme All Your Luvin' in the last week of January, shortly before she takes to the stage to perform during the half-time show of Super Bowl XLVI on February 5. The track, which leaked onto the internet last year, features appearances from both Nicki Minaj and MIA.

The album is Madonna's first since 2008's 'Hard Candy' and has been produced by William Orbit and Martin Solveig.

So basically she's pandering to the circuit fags. Good lord, and people bash Kylie relentlessly for it but somehow when Queen Madonna does it, it's brilliant ...

:doh:

So basically she's pandering to the circuit fags. Good lord, and people bash Kylie relentlessly for it but somehow when Queen Madonna does it, it's brilliant ...

REALLY

?!?!?

:confused:

:lmao:

I do find this extremely humorous. And highly non-humorous at the same time.

Well...

At least you got one part right...

Queen Madonna!

:wow::dramatic:

:D