Masterpiece is a breath of fresh air

Guest Madlover033003

Guest Madlover033003

It reminds me somewhat of her older material, but after years of her trying to appeal to a more urban/younger market, Masterpiece is a a breath of fresh air for me. What do you guys think :)

Absolutely agree.

It's like a mix of American Life (with the repeating guitar riff), Music with its rhythm guitar progression, Hard Candy ( with its hip hop drum kicks), Ray of light (with its softness, melody and simplicity, also it's danciness) and like something to remember ballads.

I agree that it is a breath of fresh air and this coming from someone who loved both the COADF and HC eras. I always appreciate when Madonna goes from one sound to a completely different sound....even if it's not a sound SHE originated. As wonderful as Masterpiece is though, I wouldn't place it amongst her best ballads. I do hope that she gets a nom for it but on the other hand it kind of pisses me off that it will get the recognition that far better songs like LTT, TUTBMP, IR etc deserved when they were released.

Geez could this track become anymore overrated? A breath of fresh air is Love Profusion. Masterpiece is far from actually being one.

LP, fresh air? during its time? Not really... Masterpiece is considered a breath of fresh air because of the type of music we've been having since 2008...

Guest bluejean

Yes.

It sounds like something from the Ray Of Light or Something To Remember sessions, but not dated at all. Very classic.

I wouldn't say it's one of her best songs but it's the best ballad she's done in a long time. The ballads of Music and American Life were good in their own way, but the acoustic guitar strums got abit tiresome after awhile. This song has more rhythm and is more the classic ballad style that Madonna has done prior. It's exactly what fans have been asking for.

Very To Have And Not To Hold meets Time Stood Still but better than both.

Geez could this track become anymore overrated? A breath of fresh air is Love Profusion. Masterpiece is far from actually being one.

The two songs are totally different for me. I'm not sure if "Breath of Fresh Air" comes to mind for me regarding LP and the newer song, "Masterpiece", but I will say that the newer seems to bring back a voice from some of her beautiful 90's ballads. In fact, "You'll See" comes to mind when I hear "Masterpiece", with all the emotion she pours into the song while some of the production reminding me of "Time Stood Still" and a bit of "Miles Away".

Guest bluejean

maybe there was something about the LP video that made erotica_blu think of such... apart from that, I have no clue how LP can be a breath of "fresh air" back in its time...

I think erotica_blu misunderstood what was meant by 'a breath of fresh air.' And yes, the video does give the feeling of there being alot of fresh air since around Madonna :lol:

I think LP is a beautiful song, one of the best on American Life IMHO

But I don't think it was in any way refreshing or stand-out when I heard American Life. I don't think Madonna did either since she never performed it live. Actually, come to think about it, it would make a nice acoustic song for the new tour.

I do think Masterpiece is a breath of fresh air, just because we haven't heard this voice, simplicity since "to have and not to hold" and since the early 90's Madonna...so it's all relative.

I think erotica_blu misunderstood what was meant by 'a breath of fresh air.' And yes, the video does give the feeling of there being alot of fresh air since around Madonna :lol:

which leads me to ask erotica_blu, what did he think of as "fresh air"?

Geez could this track become anymore overrated?

i agree

great vocals and has some good moments but overall it's repetitive and sounds like a rejected demo

i'm not liking the guitar either...gives it the usual acoustic production we've been getting since music

hopefully it's just a demo cuz the song has potential

This feeling is just that she is actually SINGING it. After so much autotune in the last 10 years people were forgeting how an amazing singer she can be IF SHE WANTS.

I agree with you! :thumbsup:

I think it's rather dull amd does not stand up against most of her ballads - well apart from One More Chance - at least it is better than that.

I wannna hear track 3 of the new Madonna songs - first two are kinda rubbish