Do you think M should record music that are age appropriate in the future?

horn

90 members have voted

1. 1. Age appropriate music from M?

• 3 : Absolutely! She's 53yo, not 23yo.
    • 0 - neutral
    • -3 : She can do whatever she wants! Age is just a number!

Guest Coked Up Baby Boy

Oh i saw this topic and just KNEW who would come in and post a novel :rotfl: it's not about singing music that is right for her age, it's about singing music that is actually good. I don't hate Give Me A Bucket because it's a fun pop song, i hate it because it sounds fucking moronic, like a song from Barney and Friends. You can still have carefree modern pop music at her age and not come up with an Avril Lavigne song. I'm sure the day will come when Madonna makes an Enya album and hugs a sweater in a misty forest for the video, until then, hopefully she can pop her pussy to something i don't have to play with my car windows up. But anyway, 2012! Queen of Pop! New album, exciting times ahead ect ect ect *burp*

Guest Coked Up Baby Boy

Madonna should do whatever she wants. Express yourself, don't repress yourself.

And can we PLEASE stop with the corny slogans about AGE POWER :lol: so cheesy.

I hate to be in the minority about this - but - that was actually what I was hoping for after she did Evita, that she would take a more 'adult-oriented' direction, especially with the ballads, etc. Now that MADONNA seems like a different person entirely, I truly miss Madonna the balladeer. Believe me, I'm all for dance-music, but I love what she did on Like A Prayer, it was thoughful and adult-like, also look at Ray Of Light, another brilliant direction...

What makes you think that Madonna fans want her to just do ballads though? I think most fans would want one or two good ballads on an album, but definitely not an album of ballads like Something to Remember. Most of Madonna's adult fans are in their 30's and 40's. They don't just like ballads. They grew up with new wave pop, dance, and even rock music. People who talk about Madonna doing adult music act like Madonna's fans are into their 60's and only like slow songs, but I don't think that's the case. I think most of even Madonna's older fans enjoy some contemporary pop music and so going too "adult" would turn them off.

If anything I think it's the opposite. Madonna seems more like herself now, whereas in the whole Evita era she seemed like a different person whom I didn't recognize.

I'm confused? Wasn't it not too long ago that we had fans begging for Madonna to drop the whole Kaballah/message driven songs and create just dance songs and have fun? Not only that, I recall not long ago, many fans begging her to go back to her fun and controversial days. Many admit missing the "old Madonna" when she would flash her tits or make a video to make people feel uneasy or say something outrageous? So now we want Madonna to cover up and sing more adult oriented songs? Hmm? I thought we've been getting a lot of that this past decade. She's been far less controversial these past ten years. Many of her songs have been based on her spiritual journey or how to keep a successful relationship. That seems to me to be quite mature and adult oriented. Her outfits haven't been that revealing. Yes, we've got a couple photo shoots that may came off a bit corny and/or lame, but even the Hard Candy album cover isn't as revealing as she's been in the past. The music lyrics may not been overly profound, but they weren't just all FLUFF.

But then look at the history this past decade of the songs were her GREATEST and biggest hits. "Music"... this really didn't have profound lyrics. "Hung Up".... not a very profound song. "4 Minutes"... the video and song did not share anything too profound. Yet, they were her biggest hits this past decade. Then she had singles like "WIFLFAG", "American Life", "Nothing Fails", and "Miles Away" which either contain more adult and/or message driven lyrics that went no where.

Madonna has been quite mature this past decade. I think she tried to dumb it down some during the Confession period, but many of those songs did include some sort of philosophical and/or enlightening message/experience.

I honestly don't get the whole "age appropriate" label. Seems to me that society has implanted the idea that once you hit a certain age, you must stop having fun and doing things that you have done when you were younger. Many people play right into it. They feel like they must conform to feel accepted. Well guess what? When have we really seen Madonna play by "Society Rules"? I would say this past decade was the closest she got to it, but it seems her most successful songs were lyrics which were simple and not very profound. The few times she did get a bit outlandish, she was far more successful and gained more attention.

Many fans are looking for her to create another OPUS! Sorry to say, but it's possible she's done her best in creating her "Opus's" with LAP and ROL. There is only so many topics you can cover without repeating yourself especially if you've been at it for 30 years. I think Madonna has done a damn good job trying to keep things as original as possible. In the end, it's possible her future singles will be quite light, especially the lead singles rather too serious. I'm not sure what else you expect her to do after being at it for 30 years? I like to see some of you able to create some sort of original magic year after year, and stay interesting in the mainstream. What's she's done this long, many can't do in a year or two without people losing interest.

I'm just happy she's still at it and is still able to generate some buzz and interest this far into the game. Not many entertainers can last this long without having years and years of lows before having a fluke or masterful comeback, etc.

Guest Madonna Bowie Prince

M will always be a pop artist, she'll never not do pop. All her records are timepieces, they represent what was mainstream at the time - even ROL which encompassed the sound of Radiohead and Bjork but with more mainstream appeal. My point is even her most "experimental" records had catchy dance tunes (the title track on ROL, Die Another Day on Al etc).

I don't consider her spreading something she learned at the Kabalah center in her music defining a "serious" Madonna record, Madonna is at her best when she creates some brilliant pop songs, just look at the LAP album as if AL is better than that.

If you want serious music look elsewhere, if you want solid pop songs then Madonna totally delivers. If ROL and LAP proved anything it's that pop can be meaningful too but don't expect a groundbreaking avant garde album from Madonna or you'll be severely disappointed.

I also don't think music should be defined "age appropriate" or not, if she released something like the LAP album nowadays no one would be complaining even though a lot of it is catchy pop tunes. If you like GMAYL then fine, if you don't that is completely fine too, but don't complain that is it too "pop" or too "young", this is Madonna we're talking about.

Celine is age appropriate and I definitely don't want her to go in that direction! I'm sure Madonna & Live Nation both prefer that she keeps releasing pop music.

Looks wise, her age is not a problem, they just need to creatively dress her. Her face will keep looking the same for a very long time. Her legs can be covered up with thick pantyhose and long boots. Her arms with some type of shirt. Its pretty easy to dress her in a way that she looks like a hot 30 yr old woman.

Performance wise, I get the feeling M is going to be one of those old people that stay in shape and can run marathons at an old age. I'm sure she'll still be able to dance well during her tours even when she's much older.

I don't really see any major obstacle for M as she ages.

M will always be a pop artist, she'll never not do pop. All her records are timepieces, they represent what was mainstream at the time - even ROL which encompassed the sound of Radiohead and Bjork but with more mainstream appeal. My point is even her most "experimental" records had catchy dance tunes (the title track on ROL, Die Another Day on Al etc).

I don't consider her spreading something she learned at the Kabalah center in her music defining a "serious" Madonna record, Madonna is at her best when she creates some brilliant pop songs, just look at the LAP album as if AL is better than that.

If you want serious music look elsewhere, if you want solid pop songs then Madonna totally delivers. If ROL and LAP proved anything it's that pop can be meaningful too but don't expect a groundbreaking avant garde album from Madonna or you'll be severely disappointed.

I also don't think music should be defined "age appropriate" or not, if she released something like the LAP album nowadays no one would be complaining even though a lot of it is catchy pop tunes. If you like GMAYL then fine, if you don't that is completely fine too, but don't complain that is it too "pop" or too "young", this is Madonna we're talking about.

I don't really disagree with what you've said here, but what I put in bold. I do think her songs about "Kaballah" is more about sharing a message she's experienced which can be interpreted to being something more serious. There have been songs especially on Confession where she has been able to share her message but able to balance out a fun sound, production or enlightening message without coming off too preachy. I think "How High" is one of those songs. Interestingly enough, this is a fav of many fans, but it still instills part of her learning from Kaballah.

You're right, LAP did contains some very brilliant pop songs. Some of it's quite fluffy such as "Cherish" and "Dear Jessie" while many had some very strong messages in them mostly regarding family or love which all were part of her life experiences at the time. She threw in some religious and sexual imagery in between as well.

Looks wise, her age is not a problem, they just need to creatively dress her. Her face will keep looking the same for a very long time. Her legs can be covered up with thick pantyhose and long boots. Her arms with some type of shirt. Its pretty easy to dress her in a way that she looks like a hot 30 yr old woman.

Unfortunately, much of the public knows she isn't a 30 year old woman and so they will throw up her age any chance they get and criticize whatever she does as "inappropriate".

Unfortunately, much of the public knows she isn't a 30 year old woman and so they will throw up her age any chance they get and criticize whatever she does as "inappropriate".

The criticism is free publicity for M. Look at Cher, she still shows off her ass at her age! Madonna will be fine.

The criticism is free publicity for M. Look at Cher, she still shows off her ass at her age! Madonna will be fine.

Oh, I agree. She'll be fine. I'm just amazed at how many fans are critical of her. Madonna has always strayed away from "society rules" from day one, but odd too see many fans criticize her for doing so when much of her career is based on being unconventional. ;)

I hate to be in the minority about this - but - that was actually what I was hoping for after she did Evita, that she would take a more 'adult-oriented' direction, especially with the ballads, etc. Now that MADONNA seems like a different person entirely, I truly miss Madonna the balladeer. Believe me, I'm all for dance-music, but I love what she did on Like A Prayer, it was thoughful and adult-like, also look at Ray Of Light, another brilliant direction...

I agree to a large extent. I really miss the ballads, one of the reasons the 90s were such a great time is we got all those great ballads. Only problem is, could her voice of today handle them? Ballads are more about the voice.

You're right...it's superior to both and more of a companion piece to Erotica her magnum opus.

I completely agree with you about AL being a companion piece to Erotica, They were both statement albums. Except Erotica was provocative while AL was preachy. However, both kind of flopped and lost her some fans. Both were distant and forced. Erotica, bar two or three tracks, was solid, AL was, well...

Edited by IslandBreeze

:chuckle:

Oh silly boys, I'm saving the novels for AFTER the album is released. You know, when everybody hates it and says how she's regressed blah blah blah. My post in this thread is just an excerpt of things to come. :D

YAAAAAYYYY!!!

My MNation theme song....which just so happens to be our QUEENS favorite musical muse while learning the drums back at the synagogue

I completely agree with you about AL being a companion piece to Erotica, They were both statement albums. Except Erotica was provocative while AL was preachy. However, both kind of flopped and lost her some fans. Both were distant and forced. Erotica, bar two or three tracks, was solid, AL was, well...

I L-U-V both albums--their my children. Madonna at her most interesting and idiosyncratic. Not enough love and attention given to these LPs. I hope the new album won't be far off quality wise to these projects.

I agree to a large extent. I really miss the ballads, one of the reasons the 90s were such a great time is we got all those great ballads. Only problem is, could her voice of today handle them? Ballads are more about the voice.

I think she's just out of practice.

"IRONY - Start"

She should scrap her next album's tour in order to play the main role in another film version of a musical, voice lesson included! Release of another ballads collection follows:

Madonna - Inside Out

1. Inside Out [New Song]

2. W.E. Ballad

3. Time Stood Still

4. [New Song #2]

5. Frozen

6. You Must Love Me

7. Like a Flower [reworked]

8. Drowned World/Substitute for Love

9. Nothing Fails

10. Paradise (Not for Me)

11. Can't You See My Mind [reworked]