Are you freaking out right now?

Apples388

The reason I am not freaking out is because her past few lead singles - Hung Up, 4 Minutes, all gave me the same vibe in that they were simplified infectious fluff meant to really sell the album. I love Hung Up, don't get me wrong, but it's easily the frothiest song on Confessions. 4 Minutes doesn't sound like the rest of Hard Candy at all. I bet you it's the same with this. As much as I want Madonna to release a more mature, sophisticated 1st single like Frozen or Secret... unfortunately, it's not realistic these days. She wants to continue selling records and those types of songs won't do it.

My biggest issue is that she's spreading herself too thin to create anything with substance. Between W.E., the gyms, the MG clothing line, the other clothing line coming down the line and the fragrances it all feels like she's grasping at straws to remain in the public eye when in reality she's Madonna. She doesn't need any of this. She's already an icon and in my opinion all of these endeavors (bar films/directing as she's always had interest there) are making her look desperate for relevancy.

Why does it have to be considered "desperate"? To me, it's just further investments either in generating income or her career as an entertainer. Maybe there is a part of her that hopes some of these projects will always keep her in the "public eye". After all, she's Madonna. She's made no secret in wanting to conquer the world. She did that with music, but it seems the music isn't generating the same sort of attention and money it used to. This is why she is touring more. This is why she's investing in so many other projects. The books and the movies are just an extension of her creativity. All the other stuff is simply investing her money into interests of hers. She likes to work out, so it makes sense she invests in gyms. She's a fashion mogul, so it makes sense she dabbles in selling products. She's only doing what many other past entertainers have done once they made a name for them and wanted to invest their money. Why is it okay for legends like Frank Sinatra to be able to invest in all sorts of other projects with his money, but not Madonna? To me, it's about balancing the business end of things, especially knowing that the old ways of doing things aren't working like it use to. This is why we see many entertainers whether they are singers or actors who go into business with their own production companies, opening restaurants, etc., etc. Most people who are able to generate the income Madonna has would do the same... invest in other projects whether it's entertainment related or not. This isn't something new about Madonna. We've always known her to be very good at making money.

Why does it have to be considered "desperate"? To me, it's just further investments either in generating income or her career as an entertainer. Maybe there is a part of her that hopes some of these projects will always keep her in the "public eye". After all, she's Madonna. She's made no secret in wanting to conquering the world. She did that with music, but it seems the music isn't generating the same sort of attention and money it used to. This is why she is touring more. This is why she's investing in so many other projects. The books and the movies are just an extension of her creativity. All the other stuff is simply investing her money into interests of hers. She likes to work out, so it makes sense she invests in gyms. She's a fashion mogul, so it makes sense she dabbles in selling products. She's only doing what many other past entertainers have done once they realized what they were once known best at isn't as popular anymore. Why is it okay for legends like Frank Sinatra be able to invest in all sorts of other projects with his money, but not Madonna? To me, it's about balancing the business end of things, especially knowing that the old ways of doing things aren't working like it use to. This is why we see many entertainers whether they are singer or actors who go into business with their own production companies, opening restaurants, etc., etc. Most people who are able to generate the income Madonna has would do the same... invest in other projects whether it's entertainment related or not. This isn't something new about Madonna. We've always known her to be very good at making money.

Oh please, the gym, the books and the clothing are beyond mediocre and haven't done anything positive or negative to Madonna. Those are simple things easily forgotten. She's only to be remembered as a singer and performer. She may do what she wants, but if she's doing that to be "in the public eye", then she'd better call Sigmund Freud to analyze her again, because she's doing it WRONG. She has all those things an opportunities (including directing W.E.) because she's a pop star. And she'd better take care of her music career then.

The reason I am not freaking out is because her past few lead singles - Hung Up, 4 Minutes, all gave me the same vibe in that they were simplified infectious fluff meant to really sell the album. I love Hung Up, don't get me wrong, but it's easily the frothiest song on Confessions. 4 Minutes doesn't sound like the rest of Hard Candy at all. I bet you it's the same with this. As much as I want Madonna to release a more mature, sophisticated 1st single like Frozen or Secret... unfortunately, it's not realistic these days. She wants to continue selling records and those types of songs won't do it.

I think Hung Up and 4 Minutes to a lesser extent were good representations of what their respective albums sounded like. Maybe a bit dumbed down and with a special something to make them have broader appeal but they 'belonged' to their albums.

lol have you heard whats on the radio? the worse it is the more chance it has. Madonna's fans on the other hand have been patient and hopefully the album itself will be good :thumbsup:

I realize that clinging to the THIS NEW ROCK N ROLL IS SHIT mentality that older people have comforts you and makes you feel less out of touch but for better or worse THAT is the music Madonna is competing with/against and that is the music climate she is trying to fit into. And popular music is fine as it always was. It's just that people grow out of it and feel like they're clinging on to their youth by reminiscing about the 'good old days' and how much better radio used to be.

Oh please, the gym, the books and the clothing are beyond mediocre and haven't done anything positive or negative to Madonna. Those are simple things easily forgotten. She's only to be remembered as a singer and performer. She may do what she wants, but if she's doing that to be "in the public eye", then she'd better call Sigmund Freud to analyze her again, because she's doing it WRONG. She has all those things an opportunities (including directing W.E.) because she's a pop star. And she'd better take care of her music career then.

I didn't say she opened the gyms and started the clothing lines to simply remain in the public eye. I simply was responding to what the person I quoted. I feel it's all about investing her money more. Though, I do think the books and the movies are an extension of wanting to create and remain in the public eye. And who are you to say she's doing it "wrong", especially if she's making millions from it? Stop looking at her other endeavors from just a music fan. It's obvious that whatever she does besides music doesn't interest you. And that's fine, but I don't believe Madonna is trying to always target her MUSIC fans with her other endeavors. Even I have no interest in the films she's directed up to this point. It's obvious to me she's trying to reach out to other people than her fans of music, thus means it seem SHE'S looking to stay in the public eye.

I think Hung Up and 4 Minutes to a lesser extent were good representations of what their respective albums sounded like. Maybe a bit dumbed down and with a special something to make them have broader appeal but they 'belonged' to their albums.

Sure and I bet Give Me All Your Love will be the same. I'm not a huge fan of the cheerleader vibe myself but I do think the song has a good chance of doing well for her, much in the same way Hung Up and 4 Minutes did, and I'm sure the rest of the album will surprise us a great deal. I mean after hearing 4 Minutes and Candy Shop who woulda thunk we'd get a song like Voices or Beat Goes On? I may not be a big fan of Hard Candy but you can tell that there was significant work put into some of the songs. We were all freaking out thinking she was gonna have an album full of Nelly Furtado bullshit, and we were wrong.

:nocomment:

Nothing on that album sounds like Nelly Furtado. Come on. I will give you the bad songs (Incredible, Heartbeat) and the song that is literally a carbon copy of What Goes Around/Rehab/Cry Me A River ( Devil), but the rest of the album had it's own vibe, whether the songs were awesome or not.

The complainers have themselves to blame. Madonna aims for art and self-importance with messages from her faith--the complainers reject it. AL is a high point creatively. It still sounds ahead of the game for something produced in 2003! I wish she'd been able to move forward in the direction she was going in then but the complainers bitched. Reminds me of Beyonce dropping the most relevant album creatively of her solo career B'DAY and she catch shit for it. Never again. Joni Mitchell is right you don't know what you got till it's gone.

I support the "demo" version of this song. The two tracks from the GH and Hey You are horrible and worst things she's allowed to be released.

I support the "demo" version of this song. The two tracks from the GH and Hey You are horrible and worst things she's allowed to be released.

That I agree with. Revolver and Hey You were so much worse than this. Revolver especially - that one was DISGUSTING. Celebration I liked though. haha

That I agree with. Revolver and Hey You were so much worse than this. Revolver especially - that one was DISGUSTING. Celebration I liked though. haha

I dig this song too, it's not HEINOUS or anything. It's just that as the comeback song from Madonna after 4 years and in a pop landscape that's DRASTICALLY different since when she last released music, it leaves a lot to be desired. It makes me wonder a bit about her creativity level/decision making at this point. But I guess she knows better and that's why she's MADONNA and I'm posting about her on a board. Maybe she's trying to subvert expectations or something *rationalizes*

THIS.

The other day this girl I follow on Twitter quoted her dad in a tweet that said something like "When you hear a Madonna song, you just have to dance!" I think this is representative of how the general public feels about her. I'm sure she had that in mind when her and Martin created this incredible catchy and fun song. Can you not imagine hundred of different people jamming to this on their drives home from work? I totally could.

I think another thing that hurts this song is that there's nothing to help boost perceptions about it. There isn't a video, a performance, artwork, or general concept of the direction she's going for with this album yet. I think this aspect is really key to how anyone experiences a Madonna song. How often do you hear people say "The video/performance made me like this song"? Unfortunately, this is a result of having such an early leak.

I think that age plays a very negative role in Madonna's career right now. Let's face it, she's been capable of LOADS of things and she may change the "traditional" path of the female pop/ rock star: gone after she is in ther forties. She's been struggling since American Life. Confessions was very BIG, but not in USA. Hard Candy sold very well, but something was a bit wrong there.... That's why she needs a BIG MADONNA SONG right now. She's been capable of releasing very good songs and it seems logical that she tries to give her best with this new album. That's why GMAYL isn't good enough, at least in the demo version.

Another thing is how fun i find the song, haha.

The song is fun and sugar-coated but not a memorable Madonna tune after her big divorce. If this is what she and William Orbit/Martin Solvig came up with then we in big doodoo. That 13th U.S. #1 will be far reaching now.

What slightly worries me is that I see a pattern from HC to the Celebration tracks to this of very lightweight tracks with no substance but also not substantial groove. They're all so airy fairy and fluffy, they're almost... KYLIE level. If you want to give dancefloor songs, at least give me BANGERS. This handsclaps and surf guitar shit doesn't cut it. If you want to be SEKSUAL, take a page out of Rihanna's book and go OH I CANT WAIT FOR YOU TO FUCK ME. Stop pussyfooting around. Take a chance. Enough with the forgettable, inconsequential tracks. Make a STATEMENT. And if it bombs, oh well. At least you went out swinging and not with a whimper.

+ 1

My biggest issue is that she's spreading herself too thin to create anything with substance. Between W.E., the gyms, the MG clothing line, the other clothing line coming down the line and the fragrances it all feels like she's grasping at straws to remain in the public eye when in reality she's Madonna. She doesn't need any of this. She's already an icon and in my opinion all of these endeavors (bar films/directing as she's always had interest there) are making her look desperate for relevancy.

Couple that with a song, that while fun in theory, sounds like a Katy Perry leftover. I thought that the "let me appeal to the kids" schtick was over, but it seems like it's still in full swing. "L-U-V MADONNA!" coming from a woman who has penned some of the greatest pop songs EVER just doesn't sit right with me. Here's to hoping that William Orbit brings some maturity to the table.

I'm not quite ready to write her off any time soon, but she's not making it easy.

+ 1

I think that age plays a very negative role in Madonna's career right now. Let's face it, she's been capable of LOADS of things and she may change the "traditional" path of the female pop/ rock star: gone after she is in ther forties. She's been struggling since American Life. Confessions was very BIG, but not in USA. Hard Candy sold very well, but something was a bit wrong there.... That's why she needs a BIG MADONNA SONG right now. She's been capable of releasing very good songs and it seems logical that she tries to give her best with this new album. That's why GMAYL isn't good enough, at least in the demo version.

+ 1

I'd like to know where her CREATIVITY has gone? It's like she has no originality or imagination left. She needs to forget all the mass marketing and whoring herself with perfumes, gyms, and clothing lines, etc. The GMAYL demo is appalling in terms of the lack of VOCAL ability. Where the fuck is her VOICE?! I'd rather she deliver the goods or else retire.

I'd like to know where her CREATIVITY has gone? It's like she has no originality or imagination left. She needs to forget all the mass marketing and whoring herself with perfumes, gyms, and clothing lines, etc. The GMAYL demo is appalling in terms of the lack of VOCAL ability. Where the fuck is her VOICE?! I'd rather she deliver the goods or else retire.

Samehere i don't want mediocre Madonna sorry a la 4 minutes & Hard Candy. She even said it herself that the last few years she hasn't felt inspired and hasn't put all of her energy into her music. From the horses mouth so i was expecting MUCH more. We'll see i guess :(

I admit that GMAYL, at least in its current form, is not up to par with Madonna's greatest. But I like it at all and I really don't get this panicking reaction. Perfect pop songs, like the ones she's made numerous of, just don't come up in a calculated way or by ovethinking it. Surely they aren't made by listening to and worrying about what other pop stars are doing at the moment. So, I don't get these comments about not caring enough either. She's going for a big hit, and that's not a bad thing, I suppose that was her main motivation for many of her classics. All in all, I have a very good feeling for the single and the upcoming era.