Madonna to perform at Super Bowl! now official!

laroux22

Wasn't Holiday mixed in with Celebration on the second leg of S&S? Maybe she can do that.

there was only small elements from Celebration used to the point of being irrelvant given that the song hadn't been released.

As I said, the chorus elements would work well from Celebration but I'd hope she'd omit the awful verses!

Because the new song would be promoted as the new single from her upcoming album, it would be a huge opportunity. Performing Celebration, on the other hand, is pointless.

I don't want Madonna to perform "Celebration".It's a weak song.....a flop single that most people have never heard.If she's gonna do a song about celebrating,it should be the superior,timeless "Holiday",a song that everyone knows.

+1

with holiday/into the groove/music to choose from it'd be stupid if she went with celebration

If the NFL is serious about inviting Madonna to perform during the Super Bowl, it should drop the idea, Catholic League President Bill Donohue suggested Tuesday in response to a rumor that the controversial artist is to perform in the NFL’s biggest event.

Rumors have been spread recently that Madonna is expected to perform at the Feb. 5 Super Bowl XLVI at the Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis.

That would be inappropriate because of the singer’s long track record of religious provocation and mockery, the Catholic League president said.

“For decades, Madonna has blatantly offended Christians, especially Catholics. The offensive lyrics, lewd behavior and misappropriation of sacred symbols are reason enough not to have her perform,” Donohue wrote in a statement published on Oct. 4. “Worse, she has repeatedly mocked the heart and soul of Christianity: Jesus, Our Blessed Mother, the Eucharist and the Crucifixion.”

Donohue noted that in 2004, the NFL invited ‘N Sync’s JC Chasez to sing during the halftime of the Pro Bowl game. When Chasez said he was going to sing his latest single, “Some Girls (Dance with Women),” the NFL objected, citing the sexual character of the lyrics and saying it might potentially offend viewers.

The NFL then asked Chasez to sing “Blowin’ Me Up (With Her Love)” instead. Chasez agreed. Then the NFL decided that the singer had to drop the lyrics “horny” and “naughty” from the song. Again, Chasez agreed. But the football league finally reconsidered the propriety of having Chasez sing altogether, and decided to withdraw the invitation. He was reportedly offered to sing the national anthem, but declined.

“The NFL cannot expect Catholics to be treated any different. Chasez may be known for some dicey lyrics, but he is chopped meat compared to Madonna,” said Donohue.

In recent years, Madonna, who is known for provocative concerts and videos as well as skimpy outfits and controversial remarks, has been reportedly more closely associated with the Jewish mystical tradition of Kabbalah than with her childhood Catholicism.

The NFL has not yet confirmed the invitation. But some excited fans see another sign as a suggestion that Madonna might perform at the Super Bowl: her releasing a new album around the same time as the game. Madonna has recently been linked to producers William Orbit and DJ Martin Solveig and has said she hopes to release a single by winter. The Super Bowl would provide a grand stage to debut the song.

Critics also fear that the infamously wild Madonna might cause controversy similar to that caused by Janet Jackson’s infamous “wardrobe malfunction” at the 2004 Super Bowl.

"Holiday" and "Music" are a must and so is "Celebration" ( a song she has never performed live). No to "Ray Of Light" "La Isla Bonita," and "Hung Up".

Guest ditaluver

[quote name=M!chael :D' date='07 October 2011 - 06:17 PM' timestamp='1318025875' post='1144250]

There's not a chance in hell that she'd perform "Celebration". It was a flop.

Yet she is doing a huge campaign with smirnoff and celebration!!!!! so there is some chance

She'd be utterly STUPID to perform Celebration.

This is not some fan treat at some big gay club, this is a very importance promo for the masses. Celebration is a song no one in the USA barely heard of and in Europe it was mostly a minor hit. Are people serious with the Celebration thing?

What she HAS to perform is a new single to take the opportunity of this important performance to launch her "comeback" and new material, and offcourse mix it with a medley of some of her biggest and universally (in US) most liked songs to please the masses and in this medley reclaim Express Yourself from Gaga finally! That is what she has to do if she wants to make the most she can out of this moment.

She better not make this a disco thing for some of her fans followers. This is Big Bowl we're talking about, not Pride or some concert for her biggest fans.

This has to be strategically smart for Madonna. Remember when she chose ROL as "her song" on BET during Hard Candy promo? Now that was a strategically dumb choice, but that was just a small promo thing, this is in a different league and she just has to cater to the mainstream public and in the meantime present her new material aswell.

Edited by M@rtonna

Guest northernlad

That's right M@rtonna, you set these gays straight on the importANCE promo for the BIG BOWL and how it shouldn't include a song that NO ONE BARELY HEARD.

This is not some fan treat at some big gay club, this is a very importance promo for the masses. Celebration is a song no one in the USA barely heard of and in Europe it was mostly a minor hit. Are people serious with the Celebration thing?

What she HAS to perform is a new single to take the opportunity of this important performance to launch her "comeback" and new material, and offcourse mix it with a medley of some of her biggest and universally (in US) most liked songs to please the masses and in this medley reclaim Express Yourself from Gaga finally! That is what she has to do if she wants to make the most she can out of this moment.

She better not make this a disco thing for some of her fans followers. This is Big Bowl we're talking about, not Pride or some concert for her biggest fans.

This has to be strategically smart for Madonna. Remember when she chose ROL as "her song" on BET during Hard Candy promo? Now that was a strategically dumb choice, but that was just a small promo thing, this is in a different league and she just has to cater to the mainstream public and in the meantime present her new material aswell.

EXACTLY!! Concentrate on wowing over 100 million and foget about pleasing her fans. She has to include the new single even if it's a snippet.

Many of my straight hardcore football fans are looking forward to her show but are already saying " please no gay halftime". Sad but being realistic to appeal to the masses is the key.

This is going to be her biggest stage EVER she better perform a new single it will be top 10 easily in the US. The best possible promotion she can ever have and imagine if her new single is hot.

Top ten huh...here's hoping the new single will be her 13th #1.

Guest ditaluver

im not some gay male and I happen to be a huge football fan. i probably know more about it than you...but thats besides the point.

you speak so matter of factly as if you fucking have a clue. she does what she wants and it will be fantastic, whether you fucking agree with it or not. if people hate it, fine...they suck. you can fucking go sit and cry about it with them.

either way, if celebration was performed, Id enjoy it. why not...the superbowl is a celebration of game. the best of the best and she will do whats best.

i certianly wouldnt fucking whine and OMG HER CAREER IS OVER SHES STUPIDDDDDDDDDDDDD

you'll probably fucking complain no matter what she does. i feel sorry for you.

Top ten huh...here's hoping the new single will be her 13th #1.

i think it's safe to say 'music' will be her last #1 single

she'd be more than lucky if she scores a top 10 hit

but even that is very unlikely

Well if you believe that, Rihanna will surpass her easily. What a pity!

Guest Not4Pussies

really? really?

madonna can easily score another top ten hit

madonna can easily score another top ten hit

Amen.

if the single is good ala Hung Up (her last 'amazing' single IMO) then she has nothing to worry about. If she brings it like I know she can then she will always have a place in the Top 10.

This is MADONNA.

Guest bluejean

Because the new song would be promoted as the new single from her upcoming album, it would be a huge opportunity. Performing Celebration, on the other hand, is pointless.

Exactly.

Performing the new song would be good. But I don't think its essential. This performance could be a good chance to remind people why she's the biggest and the best (by performing some of her biggest hits) and then she can premiere the new song to radio immediately following it.

Guest bluejean

As the Biebs says, never say never :lol:

I do think anything is possible especially when it comes to Madonna.

OH MY GOD I LOVE MADONNA SO MUCH I'M SO EXCITED ABOUT W.E AND 2012!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2012 will be a great year for us !!! In January W.E. :thumbsup: February first single :clap: March / April new album :dramatic: Summer / fall a tour ! :wow::sassy:

I can`t wait for 2012 :fag:

im not some gay male and I happen to be a huge football fan. i probably know more about it than you...but thats besides the point.

you speak so matter of factly as if you fucking have a clue. she does what she wants and it will be fantastic, whether you fucking agree with it or not. if people hate it, fine...they suck. you can fucking go sit and cry about it with them.

either way, if celebration was performed, Id enjoy it. why not...the superbowl is a celebration of game. the best of the best and she will do whats best.

i certianly wouldnt fucking whine and OMG HER CAREER IS OVER SHES STUPIDDDDDDDDDDDDD

you'll probably fucking complain no matter what she does. i feel sorry for you.

Wow, take a pill and relax.

And yes it would be stupid of her to perform Celebration, but I see you don't understand the whole point of promo and to make the most out of each moment.

Fortunately we'll most probably not see her perform that throw-away 90's Eurodance song that no one barely heard about, I will gladly see it on tour though because the demographics are different, but I want her to make the most she can out of this moment which will be a very important comeback promo opportunity, I don't want her to blow it to fulfill my little personal dream.

If you really are such a huge football fan, you should be aware about the public this performance will cater to and that middle-America will have their eyes on here. Out of this reaction you seem more clueless about football and reality of promotion strategy than anything else.

Edited by M@rtonna

Wow, take a pill and relax.

And yes it would be stupid of her to perform Celebration, but I see you don't understand the whole point of promo and to make the most out of each moment.

Fortunately we'll most probably not see her perform that throw-away 90's Eurodance song that no one barely heard about, I will gladly see it on tour though because the demographics are different, but I want her to make the most she can out of this moment which will be a very important comeback promo opportunity, I don't want her to blow it to fulfill my little personal dream.

If you really are such a huge football fan, you should be aware about the public this performance will cater to and that middle-America will have their eyes on here. Out of this reaction you seem more clueless about football and reality of promotion strategy than anything else.

I think you're stuck with this idea that the Super Bowl's Half-Time is a promotional tool to break out new music for whomever shows up and performs. I don't recall this event ever being a launching ground for any artist's new single, nor catapulting any old or new star with huge success after wards. I could be wrong, and I'm certain someone will correct me here if I am, BUT most who have performed were either very established acts in the first place who performed a medley of their hits or acts who performed songs that were already well known to the general public. In fact, it was only since the early 90's that popular entertainment acts shared the half-time stage. Michael Jackson pretty much started the tradition. Even he performed tracks from his DANGEROUS album that had been released to the public for more than a year.

No doubt and I agree that this is a great opportunity for Madonna to use this event to introduce her new single to the world. Who wouldn't? I also agree that the Super Bowl isn't really a place to break out songs like "Vogue" or try to make some serious or offensive statements to the world. After all, this is a highly straight male populated event who are there to have fun, and she should use that to her advantage. Remind the public why people fell in love with her to start with. Remind the straight male population that she once appealed to them and still can.

Of course, some people will expect her to do something outlandish and provocative, but I'll be very surprised if she does. I'm betting she'll keep it in perspective and be respectful simply because people are expecting controversy.

What do I think she'll perform? Most likely a medley or couple of her universal party hits which most likely could include "Holiday", "Music" and "Ray of Light"... maybe "Into The Groove". I do think "Celebration" could work, but being it's not a recognizable song, she probably won't. Though with that logic then performing a new song (unless she releases her new single before the Super Bowl) will be unknown to the public as well. I can see her mashing up "Celebration" and "Holiday" since it would be quite fitting for the whole event. "Like A Prayer" could work too as long as she keeps it about having fun and less about sharing some profound message.

What I do know about Madonna. Always expect the unexpected. Never count her out! And most of all, she knows how to put on a hell of a live show. I believe she will keep the performances respectful much like she has in the past when showing up at universal events like Live Aid and Live 8. I'm hoping she will keep it light and fun. One big party! This will give people something to remember and most likely do a favor to her on-going career and her new album.

^Sure- when MJ performed in 1993, it helped propel "Heal the World" (which had peaked in the 50s) to the top 40 and caused a nice boost for his Dangerous album. Just one example.

Some stats from recent years:

http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/specials/superbowl/chart.shtml

Tom Petty impact:

http://www.billboard.com/news/digital-sales-boom-for-post-super-bowl-petty-1003711760.story#/news/digital-sales-boom-for-post-super-bowl-petty-1003711760.story

And this just reflected Black Eyed Peas sales in the hours following their halftime appearance:

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118031901

has a super bowl performance ever boosted a single or album sales?

A Nielsen PreView examination of SoundScan sales data for the previous four Super Bowl halftime acts reveals that they all enjoyed a significant boost in sales following their performances. And we're not talking about a simple one-week bump. All acts enjoyed a sales increase that lasted at least several weeks after the game.

http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/specials/superbowl/chart.shtml

^Sure- when MJ performed in 1993, it helped propel "Heal the World" (which had peaked in the 50s) to the top 40 and caused a nice boost for his Dangerous album. Just one example.

Some stats from recent years:

http://www.billboard...owl/chart.shtml

Tom Petty impact:

http://www.billboard...003711760.story

And this just reflected Black Eyed Peas sales in the hours following their halftime appearance:

http://www.variety.c...le/VR1118031901

I'm glad you posted this. I wasn't sure if the Super Bowl was necessarily an event that really propeled sales to the artists who performed, especially a new album. Though one difference, all those artists who had performed, had their newest album released prior to the event, right? According to reports and even Madonna, her new album may not be available until a month or so after the event. Knowing how quickly the entertainment world moves on, people may not care to pick up the new album when it's finally released. So we can only hope she'll use this event to introduce her new single and release it immediately. We can only hope it will hold enough momentum.

The smartest thing for Madonna to do is to perform the new single at the Super Bowl,then release it on iTunes the very next day.I can't think of a better,more effective way to launch a new single.The momentum will be there.

If she has a modicum of sense she will perform the new single and make sure it's on iTunes when it's performed.

So if she gets 4 songs, she should go the '4 decades, 4 songs' route -

1. Like a Prayer (or) Into the Groove (or) Holiday

2. Ray of Light (or) Vogue

3. Music (or) Hung Up (or) 4 Minutes

4. NEW SONG