MadonnaNation.com Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Borderline

Bedtime Stories Appreciation Thread!

I've noticed fans seem to ignore "Forbidden Love" quite a lot.

Why is that?

I LOVE it.

it should have been the thris single in the US, after TAB, and left BS only as a maxysingle for the discos.

And I also don´t like that COADF has another song with the same name, it´s like the first one never existed...and it´s beautiful, it´s another missed opportunity for her to have a top ten hit...I guess she didn´t care

Soo nobody likes Secret? I think it's one of her best songs, I love all her mmm mmmh songs lol

I love Secret. Remember back in 1994 when it entered the charts at Number 5 here in the UK which was her highest debut for a long time and was so expecting it to go to Number 1 the following week.

'Sanctuary' is one my favorite songs. Totally lush and poetic. Love the Walt Whitman quote too.

Along with "Erotica" and "American Life", this album is probably Madonna's most underrated album. R&B sounding and the most self-reflective Madonna album at the time. Amazing album with brilliant tracks like Survival, Secret, Bedtime Story, Human Nature, Sanctuary and Take a Bow.

I don't think her voice has ever sound better on a record as it has on this - smooth, rich, warm, vulnerable. It was like she'd finally reached her perfect mature voice and then she fucked it all away with those dreadful singing lessons.

I like her voice after this album, but it´s true that here she sounds like she really believes what she´s singing

You guys are on to something. I remember when I picked up Remixed and Revisted and listened to Your Honesty. I completely forgot how mesmerizing her voice was. I had been on a Ray of Light/Music/American Life kick for so long by that time that I never quite realized how "appealing" she sounded around 94.

The anticipation for this album from the media was it was going to be a return to form after the flop of Erotica. Was expecting an album as successful as True Blue or Like A Prayer. Sadly although a very accomplished album it is possibly her least known album.

Some documentaries skip right over Bedtime Stories. I remember Ray of Light being promoted as her first studio album since Erotica in some reviews. :lmao:

I LOVE IT!! I love every song on this album. It really sounds different(ly)(?) from every other album she has made. Her voice is really good on this one, even though on many tracks her voice is layered, which makes the sounds seem much "fuller".

Sanctuary + Bedtime Story = MAGIC :inlove:

The vocals on this album are the most natural out of all of Madonna's albums the opera sounding vocals of Ray Of Light made it sound pretentious. Even though Id much prefer Ray Of Light over Bedtime Stories which I think is probably Madonna's weakest album overall

Bedtime Stories is absolutely lovely. Unfortunately it's one of the Madonna's most underrated albuns. I remember the first time I listened to "Secret" I thought "how can it be so perfect?". I also like Sanctuary, Love Tried To Welcome (it would be a very succesful sinlge, maybe), Human Nature and Bedtime Story.

i always disliked Love Tried To Welcome Me, but at the time i got why it was on the album...i eventually came around to love it too

this album was the perfect segue into the evita era, and just enough power to get her over the backlash a little

I LOVE HER STYLE DURING THIS PERIOD!!! GYSPSY SLUT

Guest Coked Up Baby Boy

Sanctuary + Bedtime Story = MAGIC :inlove:

That transition between the 2 gives me an erection.

What was that old song (from the 30s or so?) that apparently influenced the strings on TAB? I know it was posted in another thread, but I forget what it was. Thanks. :)

I like that M brought in Nellee Hooper (who was not nearly as mainstream/hot as Babyface, Dallas Austin, Dave Hall). To me, the weak links are "Don't Stop" (yet still fun and breezy), "Human Nature" (the video is stronger than the track, but I do like the theme) and "Forbidden Love" (not bad, but kinda trudges along).

she said in an interview that Erotica was obviously about eroticism and BS was more about romanticism and going through a path of discovering her spirituality. which led her to ROL

Take a Bow never get old , the song is always somewhere in my mp3 List.

Probably my favorite Mado's ballad with la Isla Bonita.

RE "Take a Bow"- it was Paul Robeson's vocal interpretation of the Joyce Kilmer poem, "Trees" (which has been discussed in the past).

I like that M brought in Nellee Hooper

I think he is one of the best producers in music. I kind of wish we would've gotten one more album with him as a lead producer. I am totally grateful for Ray of Light and what Orbit brought to the table, but I think Hooper could've really shown us some cool stuff if she turned him lose on an entire record.

I absolutely love her vocal tone, but 2 say it's her best singing is ridiculous...her voice is factually quite weak on this album but it goes with the whole lullaby/dreamy/fluffy/romance theme.

That transition between the 2 gives me an erection.

I just get goosebumps, but I know what you mean. :lol: At the end of Sanctuary you just know that the next song will be totally different from the rest of the album.

Is Love Tried To Welcome Me the song that supposedly was inspired by a stripper (or something)?

Guest FrozenEyes

And who can forget Inside of Me, one of the sexiest songs on the album a song about her mother. :shock:

Does anybody remember what exactly the drama was with Bjork? Was it that she didn't like the way Bedtime Story turned out, so she made Big Time Sensuality?

And who can forget Inside of Me, one of the sexiest songs on the album a song about her mother. :shock:

Does anybody remember what exactly the drama was with Bjork? Was it that she didn't like the way Bedtime Story turned out, so she made Big Time Sensuality?

There was NO drama.

Guest FrozenEyes

I got the Bjork song wrong, Sweet Intuition. I googled it and found what I was looking for and there WAS drama. :hurt: