Bedtime Stories Appreciation Thread!

Guest Borderline

I don't think her voice has ever sound better on a record as it has on this - smooth, rich, warm, vulnerable. It was like she'd finally reached her perfect mature voice and then she fucked it all away with those dreadful singing lessons.

You guys are on to something. I remember when I picked up Remixed and Revisted and listened to Your Honesty. I completely forgot how mesmerizing her voice was. I had been on a Ray of Light/Music/American Life kick for so long by that time that I never quite realized how "appealing" she sounded around 94.

The anticipation for this album from the media was it was going to be a return to form after the flop of Erotica. Was expecting an album as successful as True Blue or Like A Prayer. Sadly although a very accomplished album it is possibly her least known album.

I LOVE IT!! I love every song on this album. It really sounds different(ly)(?) from every other album she has made. Her voice is really good on this one, even though on many tracks her voice is layered, which makes the sounds seem much "fuller".

Sanctuary + Bedtime Story = MAGIC :inlove:

The vocals on this album are the most natural out of all of Madonna's albums the opera sounding vocals of Ray Of Light made it sound pretentious. Even though Id much prefer Ray Of Light over Bedtime Stories which I think is probably Madonna's weakest album overall

Bedtime Stories is absolutely lovely. Unfortunately it's one of the Madonna's most underrated albuns. I remember the first time I listened to "Secret" I thought "how can it be so perfect?". I also like Sanctuary, Love Tried To Welcome (it would be a very succesful sinlge, maybe), Human Nature and Bedtime Story.

i always disliked Love Tried To Welcome Me, but at the time i got why it was on the album...i eventually came around to love it too

this album was the perfect segue into the evita era, and just enough power to get her over the backlash a little

I LOVE HER STYLE DURING THIS PERIOD!!! GYSPSY SLUT

Guest Coked Up Baby Boy

Sanctuary + Bedtime Story = MAGIC :inlove:

That transition between the 2 gives me an erection.

What was that old song (from the 30s or so?) that apparently influenced the strings on TAB? I know it was posted in another thread, but I forget what it was. Thanks. :)

I like that M brought in Nellee Hooper (who was not nearly as mainstream/hot as Babyface, Dallas Austin, Dave Hall). To me, the weak links are "Don't Stop" (yet still fun and breezy), "Human Nature" (the video is stronger than the track, but I do like the theme) and "Forbidden Love" (not bad, but kinda trudges along).

Guest Not4Pussies

she said in an interview that Erotica was obviously about eroticism and BS was more about romanticism and going through a path of discovering her spirituality. which led her to ROL

I like that M brought in Nellee Hooper

I think he is one of the best producers in music. I kind of wish we would've gotten one more album with him as a lead producer. I am totally grateful for Ray of Light and what Orbit brought to the table, but I think Hooper could've really shown us some cool stuff if she turned him lose on an entire record.

I absolutely love her vocal tone, but 2 say it's her best singing is ridiculous...her voice is factually quite weak on this album but it goes with the whole lullaby/dreamy/fluffy/romance theme.

That transition between the 2 gives me an erection.

I just get goosebumps, but I know what you mean. :lol: At the end of Sanctuary you just know that the next song will be totally different from the rest of the album.

Is Love Tried To Welcome Me the song that supposedly was inspired by a stripper (or something)?

Guest FrozenEyes

And who can forget Inside of Me, one of the sexiest songs on the album a song about her mother. :shock:

Does anybody remember what exactly the drama was with Bjork? Was it that she didn't like the way Bedtime Story turned out, so she made Big Time Sensuality?

And who can forget Inside of Me, one of the sexiest songs on the album a song about her mother. :shock:

Does anybody remember what exactly the drama was with Bjork? Was it that she didn't like the way Bedtime Story turned out, so she made Big Time Sensuality?

There was NO drama.

Guest FrozenEyes

I got the Bjork song wrong, Sweet Intuition. I googled it and found what I was looking for and there WAS drama. :hurt:

All I know is that @ some point Madonna wanted to work with Bjork but Bjork didn't. And Bjork once said that she wrote Bedtime Story more as a favor to Nellee Hooper rather than a "direct" collaboration with Madonna (don't think she said why though). There's a short video on youtube where Bjork says that @ some MTV awards in '94-'95, not sure which one.

I got the Bjork song wrong, Sweet Intuition. I googled it and found what I was looking for and there WAS drama. :hurt:

What, u mean the VMA interview, where Björk basically said she didn't wan't 2 collaborate with Madonna & gave the song 2 Nellee as a friend's favour?

This is the only "drama" I could find:

http://www.digitalspy.com/music/news/a46281/bjork-madonna-got-my-lyrics-wrong.html

Bjork has revealed that Madonna sang the wrong lyrics on the 1995 single she wrote for the pop queen.

The Icelandic star penned lyrics for 'Bedtime Story', which Madonna took to number four in the charts in February 1995, at the request of producer Nellee Hooper.

However, she was surprised when she first heard Madonna's recording of the song.

She told Attitude: "She did her own version and wrote the lyrics wrong. I can't remember right now, but it was a really interesting mistake.

"It was something like "Let's say goodbye to logic and reason" and she got it wrong so that it actually meant the opposite....I was like, 'Okay...'"

I think what she means is the lyrics printed in the booklet for Bedtime Stories album say, "Learning logic and reason..." which was indeed wrong. Madonna did sing it correctly though, she says: "Leaving logic and reason." I always assume the printer made a typo. Also, the font used in the booklet is somewhat difficult to read.

Guest FrozenEyes

To be honest, I actually was thinking Bjork said she hated the song because Madonna didn't do it as she intended it to be and that's why Bjork made a similar song. I got my wires crossed a bit.

So less dramatic, but Bjork pretty much saying Madonna messed up my lyrics and that she didn't do the song because of Madonna, but because a friend asked her too isn't really smooth sailing either. I'm assuming "her friend" is referring to Nellee? I mean it comes across to me as, if Nellee never asked her, there's no way she would have ever given a song to Madonna. That's just my opinion of it.

Yah- a favor to Nellee.

Finally got the paperback version of Lucy O'Brien's Madonna: Like an Icon. More from Bjork:

"I had written the song specifically for her, but my intuition told me that it would be wrong for me to sing on the song. I also refused to meet her officially when she asked. When I meet her, I want it to be by coincidence, when we're both drunk in a bar or something."

Lucy writes that Bjork was "perturbed" that Madonna worked with members of her production team- Hooper, Marius de Vries and later Guy Sigsworth.

Finally got the paperback version of Lucy O'Brien's Madonna: Like an Icon. More from Bjork:

"I had written the song specifically for her, but my intuition told me that it would be wrong for me to sing on the song. I also refused to meet her officially when she asked. When I meet her, I want it to be by coincidence, when we're both drunk in a bar or something."

November 12, 1997:

Madonna attends Björk’s first of two performances tonight at Shepherds Bush Empire in London and throws back some wine at the after-party (with Ingrid Casares in tow). The Beastie Boys and Natalie Imbruglia were also there but apparently Madonna was the only one who got to speak with Björk.

^I don't know if that Bjork quote from O'Brien's book was from a recent interview or what. If so, perhaps she was talking about when she first wrote and submitted the track to Hooper/Madonna. Where was it reported that Madge spoke with Bjork?

• 3 years later...