Pharrell confirms working with Madonna Again

moe

Of course, Madonna can do what she wants. But it doesn't mean we don't respect her if we happen to have an opinion about the kind of music that she should do or what we would enjoy from her the most. I don't think to be a fan you have to be mindless and say oh Madonna sang it so I must love it. The fact is music is a commercial business so you have to take into account what fans enjoy to some extent. Madonna herself has said that. She said you have to find the balance between what you want to do and what fans and the public enjoys.

For me, Madonna's best work is neither her most avant garde songs like X-Static Process or Mer Girl, or her most mainstream commercial stuff like Candy Shop or Hung Up. The songs I enjoy from her most hit a happy medium between the two extremes, songs like Like A Prayer, Live to Tell, Ray of Light etc. I hope she finds that middle ground again on her next record.

Guest Madonna's Paladin

Of course, Madonna can do what she wants. But it doesn't mean we don't respect her if we happen to have an opinion about the kind of music that she should do or what we would enjoy from her the most. I don't think to be a fan you have to be mindless and say oh Madonna sang it so I must love it. The fact is music is a commercial business so you have to take into account what fans enjoy to some extent. Madonna herself has said that. She said you have to find the balance between what you want to do and what fans and the public enjoys.

For me, Madonna's best work is neither her most avant garde songs like X-Static Process or Mer Girl, or her most mainstream commercial stuff like Candy Shop or Hung Up. The songs I enjoy from her most hit a happy medium between the two extremes, songs like Like A Prayer, Live to Tell, Ray of Light etc. I hope she finds that middle ground again on her next record.

I do, too.

But flinging around barbs like "Hard Candy is trash", "Madge is lazy", "She's gonna get her wig snatched!", shows a clear lack of respect. There's a disgust with Madonna present there, not just disappointment with the music she's been making lately, or hope that she'll go back to making a certain type of music.

I do, too.

But flinging around barbs like "Hard Candy is trash", "Madge is lazy", "She's gonna get her wig snatched!", shows a clear lack of respect. There's a disgust with Madonna present there, not just disappointment with the music she's been making lately, or hope that she'll go back to making a certain type of music.

Totally agree with you. But to be fair, there are only a few people who are saying Madonna's is lazy or is trash or are otherwise disrespectful. I don't think you can paint everyone who doesn't like HC or are disappointed with her current direction as disrespectful. It's not what you say buy how you say it. I don't care for her current direction but I try to avoid being rude or dismissive or disrespectful of her. But I think that's just the nature of the Internet. People tend to express themselves in very extreme ways that they wouldn't in everyday life.

How come Confessions doesn't get this when it was basically Madonna makes a Kylie album?

Because ... it wasnt a Kylie album? I don't even hate Kylie Minogue but Confessions didn't sound anything like her.

It's such a joke how osme of you feel the need to diarrhea all over Madonna's previous albums that happened to be better recieved than Hard Candy just to prove a point :lol:

THe reason Confessions was recieved positively by the majority of fans was because the music on it was irresistible. Sure, some (not many) didn't like that it basically sounded like a sparse loungey album and that she gayed it up image wise so much, but it was a welcome change after the chilliness of her last album. The reasons for the mixed reaction of Hard Candy are endless. There's no point in generalizing. Some people were snobby about it, some people genuinely thought it was a misstep, some people loved it. Big deal.

I tellyawhat, gays, Hard Candy is unusual in the Madonna canon in that it is perhaps her most divisive album amongst her hardcore fanbase; whilst with the public it is generally perceived as being rather poor. Her other flops are different - for example, Erotica may be ignored or derided by the public now but the overwhelming majority of the fans hold it in reasonable regard. Hard Candy really, really divides her fanbase like no other.

And on that note -

Get DOWN

Huh UGH

Get DOWN

See my BOOTY get down like...

Well all my friends, acquaintances and family members that own or have heard the album (mostly thanks to me) didn't like it much :(

I like it just fine for what it is. I'm not going to sit here and pretend that it's her going back to her roots and it's her best since the early days (hi Pud!) but I don't think it's the shit-fest some think it is.

Anyway the whole Hard Candy discussion is, like, so '08 isn't it.

blair-waldorf.jpg

Guest nothingfails0603

Madonna had one cutting edge album that many here won’t consider cutting edge and that’s American Life – I hate all of you who reject this album – if she would’ve gone further with the themes and sounds she established on this album – OMG we wouldn’t be discuss her being a follower and not a trend setter.

Thank you. I've taken more crap for liking American Life than any Hard Candier has ever gotten.

Guest nothingfails0603

I tellyawhat, gays, Hard Candy is unusual in the Madonna canon in that it is perhaps her most divisive album amongst her hardcore fanbase; whilst with the public it is generally perceived as being rather poor. Her other flops are different - for example, Erotica may be ignored or derided by the public now but the overwhelming majority of the fans hold it in reasonable regard. Hard Candy really, really divides her fanbase like no other.

And on that note -

Get DOWN

Huh UGH

Get DOWN

See my BOOTY get down like...

how about AL? That album didn't get love from critics and it seems to only be a minority of fans who like that album here, just look at all the HC fans making fun of it.

Guest Not4Pussies

if they work together again they better come up with something new and different from HC

cuz Pharrell's sound CAN be repetitive...just go listen to that Shakira song that sounds like Incredible

There really isn't any good lyrics on HC, the song lyrics range from candy (CS), a clock ticking (4 minutes), dog walking (voices), sex being incredible (incredible), and how to in-correctly speak spanish (spanish lesson). If you consider those "good" then I give up on you, honey :queenbitch:

What about "Miles Away" and "Devil Wouldn't Recognize You"? These songs feature profound,deeply personal lyrics that are really outstanding.I would choose those two songs over anything on American Life---an album that is preachy and not very fun.

if they work together again they better come up with something new and different from HC

cuz Pharrell's sound CAN be repetitive...just go listen to that Shakira song that sounds like Incredible

which one i didn't notice?

I heard on MTV News Bits Latin America that Madonna will work for Pharrell's next album, not Pharrell working with Madonna.

That sounds a lot more plausible, with her returning the favour and perhaps appearing as a guest on one of his album tracks.

And I'm sorry anybody who cites that hokey crap Nothing Fails as her best HAS TO GO! Candy Shop isn't trying to be serious, Nothing Fails is and it's juvenile and simple....as are many of the lyrics on AL.

Why is everyone talking about lyrics? The lyrics on Nothing Fails wasn't very good, but the production/melody SHITS all over that crap Candy Shop for sure.

I think we all judge music differently. I firstly judge the music itself; the song structure, melody, production etc. Lyrics are important to some extent, but a song can have good lyrics and be pretty crap.

Production-wise; American Life (the album) is MILES more interesting than HC ever will be.

I want great/fresh/creative music firstly! I'm not buying an album to sit through 1h of poetry reading, what I'm buying is the MUSIC! Obviously good lyrics is a plus, but if the music is uninteresting then it doesn't matter really.

Edited by Zezwer

Guest Madonna Bowie Prince

Why is everyone talking about lyrics? The lyrics on Nothing Fails wasn't very good, but the production/melody SHITS all over that crap Candy Shop for sure.

I think we all judge music differently. I firstly judge the music itself; the song structure, melody, production etc. Lyrics are important to some extent, but a song can have good lyrics and be pretty crap.

Production-wise; American Life (the album) is MILES more interesting than HC ever will be.

I want great/fresh/creative music firstly! I'm not buying an album to sit through 1h of poetry reading, what I'm buying is the MUSIC! Obviously good lyrics is a plus, but if the music is uninteresting then it doesn't matter really.

:queenbitch: I agree.

Pearls before the swine is the only phrase that comes to mind when I see such snide, derogatory reactions to a woman who has already given so much to the world getting ready to give even more. Fucking brats.

That much is clear. Musical taste as a fashion statement, not a passion. Hence the focus on how wonderful it was that people stopped viewing her as a "talentless whore" with ROL (as if that's a legitimate reason to consider a musical work good). No one needs to like Hard Candy, but they at least need to respect it (and her); Madonna doing what she's always done, following her own heart, fuck what anyone else wants from her. There are some fans that understand that, and respond to it no matter how much they like or don't like the music she's making at any particular time (and they just hope that she'll make something that they'll like more next time). And then there are the fans that will never be able to respect Madonna unless she's doing exactly what they want her to do, who are desperate for her to have the approval of others, of the critical establishment, and of society, so that they can be proud and pretentious Madonna fans without ever having to defend her. That is the essence of a Ray of Lighter, and it shows such an ignorance of who Madonna is, what she's achieved, and the impact she's had on the world (calling Ray of Light the "defining album of her career" is just laughable :lol: If it's someone's favorite, more power to them, but everything after Blond Ambition is secondary as far as cultural impact goes). Hard Candy is Hipster Kryptonite, and I love it for that :lmao:

One that's obviously less ethnocentric and self-centered than yours, if you believe that the thoroughly Euro material she made with Orbit or Mirwais is inherently "artistic", while music that's just as valuable in a different cultural context is "not artistic". The arrogance in that is astounding. Madonna is so many different things to so many different people. All of those roles that she plays have value (just as all people have value) and I'm thankful every day that she doesn't chase after the approval of hipsters who have a pathetic, insecurity-fueled need to feel that they have "good taste" so that they can look down on others.

Art is a journey. Ray of Light came at a very specific time, and for very specific reasons. It won't happen again, so get the fuck over it. If she wants to get her sticky and sweet self down on the dance floor these days, then that's what she's going to do, and it doesn't matter if she gets William Orbit or Mirwais or The Chemical Brothers or Brian Eno into the studio with her, that's not going to push her in an introspective direction or change the music that she's inspired to produce in any way. You'll just get an album of Madonna singing about her sticky and sweet pussy which tastes like Turkish Delight set to Orbit's beeps, bleeps, and bloops.

WOW :clap::bow::clap::bow::clap::bow::clap::bow: